PDA

View Full Version : Work in "THE HOLE" really starting to look good!

McTailGator
April 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM
McNeese Stadium improvements are starting to take shape.

Here is an updated link to the construction progress web site.

http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/turfprogress.html#

Most of the turf is down, they just need to start stretching it out and gluing it together.

MplsBison
April 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Looks damn nice.

I eventually look for the NCAA to mandate new style turf for all DI teams in order to keep a consistent standard of field condition throughout the season regardless of weather.

CrazyCat
April 13th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Looks damn nice.

I eventually look for the NCAA to mandate new style turf for all DI teams in order to keep a consistent standard of field condition throughout the season regardless of weather.

Unless the NCAA is paying for it, that isn't going to happen.

MplsBison
April 13th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I don't believe the NCAA buys helmets for any team. But they are mandated for all.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM
The great thing about that is it is going to look that good for a long time no matter what the weather. It's a great upgrade to the stadium.

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM
What is the projected start date on the renovation to the field house. I know how our state can be with red tapexmadx . The turf looks nice. xthumbsupx

CrazyCat
April 13th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I don't believe the NCAA buys helmets for any team. But they are mandated for all.

Maybe they could also mandate that all teams have to play outdoors.xrotatehx

Sorry for going off topic, the stadium is looking sweet.xthumbsupx

McTailGator
April 13th, 2008, 10:32 PM
What is the projected start date on the renovation to the field house. I know how our state can be with red tapexmadx . The turf looks nice. xthumbsupx

It's still sitting on some yahoo's desk in Baton Rouge.

The McNeese staff and the Architect are all finished, McNeese made the mistake of making changes in the form of more bells and whistles and it delayed the entire thing again, EVEN though the project is fully funded, and receiving more funds and pledges all the time, the state is just being the state.

Probably will not do any SIGNIFICANT work other than a ground breaking, few Geo technical borings and maybe a big bill board showing the plans until late in the summer.

I doubt that the coaches will want to disrupt the team during the season, so any significant work will not start until late December or early January.

Some of the new plans include new entry gates, Wrought Iron fencing, and a pretty nice End zone and entry Plaza from what I understand.

The once 6.5 Million dollar facility will no doubt exceed $10 Million now. But hopefully a lot of the donor money can be spent in house and not have to go to the state approval process, which is designed to protect the tax payers by costing them more money and time. xrolleyesx

PantherRob82
April 14th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Looks great. I hope we have a home and home soon.

lillycafe
April 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM

Most of the turf is down, they just need to start stretching it out and gluing it together.

No "COWBOYS" in the end zones????

McNeese72
April 14th, 2008, 03:29 PM
No "COWBOYS" in the end zones????

That will be added after the turf is down. Below is a drawing of what the field will look like.

http://people.delphiforums.com/tailgateguy/McTurf.jpg

Doc

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 14th, 2008, 05:00 PM
It's still sitting on some yahoo's desk in Baton Rouge.

The McNeese staff and the Architect are all finished, McNeese made the mistake of making changes in the form of more bells and whistles and it delayed the entire thing again, EVEN though the project is fully funded, and receiving more funds and pledges all the time, the state is just being the state.

Probably will not do any SIGNIFICANT work other than a ground breaking, few Geo technical borings and maybe a big bill board showing the plans until late in the summer.

I doubt that the coaches will want to disrupt the team during the season, so any significant work will not start until late December or early January.

Some of the new plans include new entry gates, Wrought Iron fencing, and a pretty nice End zone and entry Plaza from what I understand.

The once 6.5 Million dollar facility will no doubt exceed $10 Million now. But hopefully a lot of the donor money can be spent in house and not have to go to the state approval process, which is designed to protect the tax payers by costing them more money and time. xrolleyesxSU was @ the same phase you guys were @ 3 years ago, and construction just started last month. The State of Louisiana is something else with the red tape. Good Luck.

MplsBison
April 14th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I bet if LSU wanted a new facility things would move along fairly quickly.

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I bet if LSU wanted a new facility things would move along fairly quickly.LSU doesn't go thru the state. They have THE TAF(Tiger Athletic Foundation) which puts up the cash for them. In order to purchase 90% of the seats in Tiger Stadium, you must donate X amount of dollars to TAF for the right to purchase a ticket.

GOKATS
April 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Looks good, what turf is it, Sprinturf, Fieldturf, etc? The Bobcats are going with turf and construction will begin after spring ball- the goal is to have it ready to go by Aug. 1. It hasn't been announced what turf they're going with yet, but the two I mentioned seem to be the most popular. Most, if not all of the cost is being footed by the '84 NC team.xthumbsupx

McNeese72
April 14th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Looks good, what turf is it, Sprinturf, Fieldturf, etc? The Bobcats are going with turf and construction will begin after spring ball- the goal is to have it ready to go by Aug. 1. It hasn't been announced what turf they're going with yet, but the two I mentioned seem to be the most popular. Most, if not all of the cost is being footed by the '84 NC team.xthumbsupx

This is what we are getting. Same turf as Ark. St. has. Also, West Monroe High School, St. Thomas More High School and Zachary High School also have this turf.

GeoSport Artificial Turf (http://www.gsegeosport.com/)

Doc

GOKATS
April 14th, 2008, 08:54 PM
This is what we are getting. Same turf as Ark. St. has. Also, West Monroe High School, St. Thomas More High School and Zachary High School also have this turf.

Doc

Thanks!

Poly Pigskin
April 15th, 2008, 01:17 AM
That looks really nice, definitely a great upgrade for the stadium!

Lionsrking
April 15th, 2008, 02:12 AM

Doc

The GSE point man for your turf project is a really good friend of mine. He's a great guy and they have a terrific product. We're very happy with our Sprinturf after five years, but I wouldn't mind us going to the GSE turf when it's time for a replacement.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 07:09 AM
That looks really nice, definitely a great upgrade for the stadium!

When is Poly adding new turf to Spanos?

andy7171
April 15th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Hold up. Is this picture of a track made of the field turf from GSE? I've never seen such a thing.

http://www.gsegeosport.com/images/images2/zachary2.jpg

McTailGator
April 15th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Looks great. I hope we have a home and home soon.

I also hope we can renew our home and home's.

We played a lot of games in the 90's.

McTailGator
April 15th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hold up. Is this picture of a track made of the field turf from GSE? I've never seen such a thing.

http://www.gsegeosport.com/images/images2/zachary2.jpg

Yes.

I walked on it last week when I was at one of my project sites just north of Baton Rouge. It's REALLY nice.

They cut it just a bit shorter than the football field to keep the speed up on the runners.

It costs a HECK of a lot less than what a normal track costs.

MplsBison
April 15th, 2008, 10:00 AM
A regular track is pretty damn expensive, especially if you get a nice one (Mondo, etc.).

I never would've thought of having a fieldturf track.

It could be the start of something!

Just think for small schools/poor schools/inner city schools without much room:

you could have the track, football field, soccer field and baseball field all in the same area.

813Jag
April 15th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Yes.

I walked on it last week when I was at one of my project sites just north of Baton Rouge. It's REALLY nice.

They cut it just a bit shorter than the football field to keep the speed up on the runners.

It costs a HECK of a lot less than what a normal track costs.
That's at Zachary High? My folks stay up there.

McTailGator
April 15th, 2008, 11:49 PM
That's at Zachary High? My folks stay up there.

Yea,

I know their Head coach (Bob Howell) and their OC Jason Davis. Both former McNeese players. Bob coached at McNeese when Jason played there.

I stopped by to say hi and they gave me the nickle tour.

Poly Pigskin
April 16th, 2008, 01:56 AM
When is Poly adding new turf to Spanos?

I haven't heard any talk of it recently, though slostang would probably be the one to best answer your question. Honestly I don't think we really need turf, the grass holds up reasonably well as long as it's dry, which is most of the season.

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 07:04 AM
But turf looks much nicer and is better for recruiting.

I'm fairly sure that turf and a videoboard were to be included in the remodel.

813Jag
April 16th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Yea,

I know their Head coach (Bob Howell) and their OC Jason Davis. Both former McNeese players. Bob coached at McNeese when Jason played there.

I stopped by to say hi and they gave me the nickle tour.
Their program is really growing, hard to believe that in the mid 90's they were one of the lower teams in the Baton Rouge area.

SideLine Shooter
April 16th, 2008, 08:05 AM

VERY NICE!!! Everyone will enjoy that!xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
April 16th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I haven't heard any talk of it recently, though slostang would probably be the one to best answer your question. Honestly I don't think we really need turf, the grass holds up reasonably well as long as it's dry, which is most of the season.

Everyone NEEDS Field Turf !!!!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

McNeese72
April 16th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Everyone NEEDS Field Turf !!!!!!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

It ain't Field Turf!!

Doc

P.S. Field Turf is a brand name. :)

MplsBison
April 16th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Yeah but so is Q-tips.

When is the last time you needed to buy "double cotton swab ended paper sticks"?

McTailGator
April 16th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Their program is really growing, hard to believe that in the mid 90's they were one of the lower teams in the Baton Rouge area.

I read a couple of weeks ago that Zachery was the fastest growing community in Louisiana.

There is new construction everywhere in that area.

turfdoc
April 16th, 2008, 09:19 AM

HA!!!

not anytime in the next 20 years

You sound like the guys back in the mid 70's trying to say everyone should have astroturf.

813Jag
April 16th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I read a couple of weeks ago that Zachery was the fastest growing community in Louisiana.

There is new construction everywhere in that area.
It is, my parents moved there in 99 and it's grown so much ever since. The split for the EBR school board really helped.

McTailGator
April 18th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Almost Done.

They made some incredible progress just yesterday!

Man this thing looks like a Million Bucks. Oh wait, that is exactly what it cost. (;

McTailGator
April 19th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Wrapping it up now... Just some finishing touches...

Gorgeous!

Hopefully all we lack now is a little landscaping at the foot of the end zone berms.

I'm taking half a day off on Thursday to drive the 3 hours from my Northwest Houston area home to go watch the Spring Game in Lake Charles.

I have not seen it in person yet, and it has exceeded all my expectations.

MplsBison
April 19th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Wow that looks good!

That beautiful deep green, bright colors ... you just can't get that with real grass.

That stadium looks 10x better!

SUjagTILLiDIE
April 19th, 2008, 06:02 PM
That stadium looks 10x better!I agree. Everytime I saw a pic of "THE HOLE" the grass was always brown. Congrats xthumbsupx .

McTailGator
April 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Wow that looks good!

That beautiful deep green, bright colors ... you just can't get that with real grass.

That stadium looks 10x better!

Well actually, down south, we can and do get that dark green grass. My yard is beautiful right now.

BUT, we're gonna save $50,000 a year in maintenance, painting, and watering cost. So it is worth it.

Not to mention what it will do for our recruiting. Especially after our field house is added in 2009.

http://www.mcneesefieldhouse.com/images/fieldhouse01.jpg

McNeese72
April 19th, 2008, 08:36 PM
A few shots that I took today. All the wide angle ones are a little over exposed so I included a couple of the close ups that were exposed right just so you can see how green the field looks.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/turf41708slc1.jpg

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/turf41708field1.jpg

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/turf41708field2.jpg

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/turf41708logo.jpg

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/turf41708glue.jpg

Doc

McTailGator
April 19th, 2008, 09:26 PM
A few shots that I took today. All the wide angle ones are a little over exposed so I included a couple of the close ups that were exposed right just so you can see how green the field looks.

Doc

Nice shots Doc...

Pretty clear pics.

I guess all that money you spent on that camera was worth it. xsmiley_wix

MSUstudent
April 19th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Field looks great! & I cant wait for Thursday to see some action on it. What are the little yellow dashes on the sidelines?

McTailGator
April 19th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Field looks great! & I cant wait for Thursday to see some action on it. What are the little yellow dashes on the sidelines?

That is the boundary for the press. As per the NCAA, no one is supposed to cross those lines. They were there on the old grass surface too, but they may have just been white.

McNeese72
April 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM

That's the lines that I'm supposed to stay behind. But we tend to cheat a little most games if the sideline police aren't enforcing it strictly.

Doc

P.S. On everyone of those dashes (hash marks, sideline yardage markers, numbers, letters, etc) was inset into the turf. Meaning they traced on the turf where it was to go, they cut out a chunk of turf, and then glued (they said welded) the piece in the cutout area. Online thing that wasn't inset was the yardlines and the blue endzones. They came on the turf that color.

AppMan
April 20th, 2008, 08:10 AM

Doc

That is a mighty fine looking field. From looking at the web site all the other guys better get ready for a loss of sales. The GSE product looks to be a far superior surface than any I have seen. How does it compare in cost to Field Turf or Sports Grass?

AppMan
April 20th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Well actually, down south, we can and do get that dark green grass. My yard is beautiful right now.

BUT, we're gonna save $50,000 a year in maintenance, painting, and watering cost. So it is worth it.

Not to mention what it will do for our recruiting. Especially after our field house is added in 2009.

http://www.mcneesefieldhouse.com/images/fieldhouse01.jpg

If you could get some seating across that endzone with a tunnel for the team to make its entrace you would really have something.

MplsBison
April 20th, 2008, 08:39 AM
That is a mighty fine looking field. From looking at the web site all the other guys better get ready for a loss of sales. The GSE product looks to be a far superior surface than any I have seen. How does it compare in cost to Field Turf or Sports Grass?

Every turf company claims an advantage via some minute differentiation.

The simple fact is this: every one of them have monofilament blades of plastic grass with an infill of some type (might be all rubber, might be some rubber some sand, etc.).

That basic formula does not vary.

GSE tries to claim that their product does not suffer from fly out and line dancing, but the fact is that they all do so some degree.

At this time, the only reason to pick one over the other is because one quoted price is cheaper than another.

McTailGator
April 20th, 2008, 09:44 AM

It's not the cheapest by any means, but not the most expensive either. On the upper end toward material cost alone.

McNeese spent $1,000,000 on it and the installation.

BUT, the fact that the bottom of "The Hole" actually sits BELOW sea level, and below the local groundwater table, probably made installation and surface preparation costs a bit more on the expensive side for us.

GSE got their start as a Groundwater remediation material supplier. They also manufacturer landfill surface groundwater barriers, which made them an idea choice for McNeese because groundwater intrusion has been an issue for us for many years. It also increased our annual maintenance costs considerably. We just added $50,000 PLUS to our annual operating budget as a result of lower maintenance costs.

McTailGator
April 20th, 2008, 10:01 AM
If you could get some seating across that endzone with a tunnel for the team to make its entrance you would really have something.

I think they are looking into a tunnel for the simple fact that our trainer has been requesting it for years. He has to go through hell if a player gets injured by having to leave the stadium surface via the ramp on the opposite end of the stadium from the Sports Medicine room and drive OUTSIDE the stadium back around to the fieldhouse.

A new ramp at the foot of the New field house pictured there would make his life and the safety of the players much easier.

Regarding additional seats in the endzone...

We have a greater need right now for a new on-campus arena, and a rebuilt baseball stadium first...

BUT, there was a proposal and a conceptual drawing depicting 2,900 seats built into the hill of that very endzone.

Since the departure of our last AD, who was as useless tits on a boar hog, McNeese has received in excess of $3 Million dollars in donations, to pay off debt, and provide Capital expenditures. All that in less than 2 years!

AppMan
April 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Every turf company claims an advantage via some minute differentiation.

The simple fact is this: every one of them have monofilament blades of plastic grass with an infill of some type (might be all rubber, might be some rubber some sand, etc.).

That basic formula does not vary.

GSE tries to claim that their product does not suffer from fly out and line dancing, but the fact is that they all do so some degree.

At this time, the only reason to pick one over the other is because one quoted price is cheaper than another.

I beg to differ. Obviously all of the surfaces are constructed of a same similar material. However, the Field Turf installed at ASU has an excessive amount fly out on tackles and balls hitting the surface. A lot of our kids have complain about getting a face & mouth full of rubber following a tackle. The lines aren't as sharp and clear as those on the McNeese field and have distorted since new. Heck, they were not exactly straight to begin with. Perhaps we got an inferior installation crew, but from what I saw in that video there is a noticeable difference.

MplsBison
April 20th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Of course you would see that in the video on the company website.

For crying out loud, you don't think that a video made by GSE might not be biased a little bit to make their own product look better than the competition?

They're trying to sell you something, just like everyone else.

Monarch History
April 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I have to admit that's one great looking field. xnodx

GOKATS
April 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM
That field looks great!! I'm really anxious for work to begin on Montana St.'s turf. We'll get further updates next weekend at the final scrimmage, but it's slated to be complete by Aug. 1.

McNeese72
April 20th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Some pictures taken today by another McNeese fan (not me). It's getting closer to completion. I think after today the only thing left is to apply the infill.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/2429975832_dc368e1d96_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2181/2429975110_36a84d6dd0_b.jpg

Doc

McTailGator
April 20th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Some pictures taken today by another McNeese fan (not me). It's getting closer to completion. I think after today the only thing left is to apply the infill.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/2429975832_dc368e1d96_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2181/2429975110_36a84d6dd0_b.jpg

Doc

That wide angle lense shot would look cool from the very top of the Sky Ranch looking almost straight down onto the field right on the 50 yd line.

Lionsrking
April 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Of course you would see that in the video on the company website.

For crying out loud, you don't think that a video made by GSE might not be biased a little bit to make their own product look better than the competition?

They're trying to sell you something, just like everyone else.

I can tell you from first hand experience that the the GSE product is as good as advertised. I've had a chance to walk on and see games at several sites that have their turf installed and there is virtually no flyout...at least not nearly as much as you see with other turfs. We have Sprinturf and don't have a big flyout problem either, but the GSE stuff is the best I've seen at controlling it.

McNeese72
April 21st, 2008, 08:55 AM
That wide angle lense shot would look cool from the very top of the Sky Ranch looking almost straight down onto the field right on the 50 yd line.

I don't have anything wide enough to accomplish that. It would almost take a "fisheye" wide angle lens to do it.

Doc

McTailGator
April 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
I can tell you from first hand experience that the the GSE product is as good as advertised. I've had a chance to walk on and see games at several sites that have their turf installed and there is virtually no flyout...at least not nearly as much as you see with other turfs. We have Sprinturf and don't have a big flyout problem either, but the GSE stuff is the best I've seen at controlling it.

LL...

I will take your word for it because our players have said for a couple of years now, that the Sprint Turf that you guys have was the best turf they have ever played on.

Of course, none of them have ever played on the stuff we are putting in. Thursday Night during our Spring game will be the first time they ever get to play on it.

McNeese72
April 22nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
From what I understand the new turf is done. And the team is supposed to hold their last practice on it today (a makeup from last Friday when it rained) before the Spring Game is played on it Thursday afternoon/night. Looking at the time, they are probably on it right now.

Doc

MplsBison
April 22nd, 2008, 04:18 PM
I think this stadium with the new fieldhouse could be very close to what SDSU's Caughlin stadium could look like after they get everything done to it.

Except they have a blue/yellow checkerboard endzone.

SeattleGriz
April 22nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Nice looking field. Think you guys will really enjoy it.

McNeese72
April 22nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Here is a picture from the press box that was probably taken by SID Louis Bonnette showing part of the completed field.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mcne/sports/m-footbl/auto_player/1979781.jpeg

Doc

McTailGator
April 22nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Here is a picture from the press box that was probably taken by SID Louis Bonnette showing part of the completed field.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mcne/sports/m-footbl/auto_player/1979781.jpeg

Doc

Before and After...

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/stadiumrita.jpg

It looked like we could have had a fishing tournament after the hurricane.

thmst30
April 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Before and After...

I'd say its a slight improvement at best.:p xsmiley_wix

McNeese_beat
April 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Actually, they'll practice in it for the first time Wednesday afternoon and play Thursday.

There was still work being done with the rubber infills Tuesday afternoon.

AppMan
April 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Before and After...

I'm guessing they took the crown out of the field.

McNeese72
April 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Before and After...

Nah,it would have been a perfect setup for airboat races. :)

Doc

McTailGator
April 23rd, 2008, 09:47 PM
Nah,it would have been a perfect setup for airboat races. :)

Doc

xlolx

McTailGator
April 23rd, 2008, 09:48 PM
I'm guessing they took the crown out of the field.

yep...

no crown anymore

igo4uni
April 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
good looking field.

BEAR
April 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Before and After...

I would suggest that if you are going to the ground game, it would behove you to play the middle of the field. The swim game is really effective around the sidelines and endzone, but sometimes grinding it out up the middle is a good way to effectively use the clock..xthumbsupx

putter
April 24th, 2008, 10:49 AM
congrats on the new field!! It looks like a million bucks....as it should xlolx

AppMan
April 24th, 2008, 10:10 PM
yep...

no crown anymore

KBS must be one of the few remaining with a crown.

McNeese_beat
April 25th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Here's a picture that shows the turf well that my wife took the other day for a newspaper article (this photo did not run, so it's an AGS exclusive, ha.). In the front is Bryan Smith, who is a likely draft pick this weekend and behind him are Vaalyn Jackson, Kenneth Lundy and Kenton Alleyne, three returning D-linemen who are trying to make up for the lost production from Smith.

Anyway, you get a good look at how rich and vivid the field looks. I think having the white outline around the bucking horse (you'll notice in my signature photo that the old logo had no such outline) really makes the logo look better.