PDA

View Full Version : A little mindless fun

LBPop
October 3rd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Took this shot at the Bucknell vs. Georgetown game (opening night) just before the Anthem. Tried to think of captions...all came out political. Then 89Hen got a look at it and suggested that it was an adjective, not a proper name (perhaps a commentary on the officiating or the play of the two teams. ;) )

Then, three weeks later it happened again when the Hoyas visited Stony Brook. Suspicious that those are the Hoyas' only two wins this season. Would like some suggested captions (please try to keep it civil, guys). Also, if anyone out there is a real math genius, I wonder what the odds of this occuring would be. There are 8 officials, I assume they can split up into any two groups of four, but perhaps it's set. Then they have to stand in the right order. At Stony Brook they were exchanging places for about two or three minutes. Then they lined up right and I took the shot.

Thanks to 89Hen for shrinking the shot so I could post it. :)

chattanoogamocs
October 3rd, 2005, 08:55 PM
I can't really think of a caption, but if I attended a "liberal" arts college, I would be worried if I saw that crew comin' on the field. :)

Of course, if I was a Southern Christian college, I would say it was an answer to a prayer. ;)

Cocky
October 3rd, 2005, 08:57 PM
It could be sexual.

UAalum72
October 3rd, 2005, 08:57 PM
The vast right-wing conspiracy invades football, too.

Those four letters can be arranged 24 different ways. (not a math genius, just somebody who does the Jumble every day)

The other four don't have a vowel, right?
Referee, Line judge, 2 Field Judges?

If the referee joined these guys, would it be a political statement if they spelled 'SHRUB' ?

A similar picture was out last year too.

LBPop
October 3rd, 2005, 10:24 PM
The vast right-wing conspiracy invades football, too.

Those four letters can be arranged 24 different ways. (not a math genius, just somebody who does the Jumble every day)

I saw this in Pennsylvania and in New York--two high electoral vote states. Maybe Jeb is starting his national campaign a little early. Maybe his big brother is using his DC influence to arrange some subliminal suggestions at Georgetown games. Or maybe my imagination is out of control... :eek:

Using the 24 possibility thing, wonder what the odds would be that those four officials were on the same side of the field. I'm starting to suspect that it's routine for them to divide up that way. Any officials out there who would know about that?

TheValleyRaider
October 3rd, 2005, 11:21 PM
I've seen them do BUSH before. I've also see RUSH, and then some other strange jumbles. I'd be surprised if it was always on purpose or an accident, but I'm sure there are a few occasions where they decide to do it just for the heck of it. Might be the most fun they have while at the game.

HensRock
October 4th, 2005, 07:28 AM
The other four don't have a vowel, right?
Referee, Line judge, 2 Field Judges?

So the Referee wears 'R', the Line judge 'L', and the field judges 'F'?

Lots of possibilities!

The odds of taking 4 of the 8 and having them spell any specific 4-letter word (without any duplicate letters, such as 'BUSH') is 1 in 1680.

GreatAppSt
October 4th, 2005, 09:49 AM
So the Referee wears 'R', the Line judge 'L', and the field judges 'F'?

Lots of possibilities!

The odds of taking 4 of the 8 and having them spell any specific 4-letter word (without any duplicate letters, such as 'BUSH') is 1 in 1680.

HR, you have WAY to much time on your hands. :D :D :D ;) ;) ;)

PMB4Life
October 4th, 2005, 10:38 AM
How about a comment on a special guest appreance by the officials of the Bush League Football Conference (BLFS)? I don't know... my brain hurts after studying too much. :(

LBPop
October 4th, 2005, 02:27 PM
If the Line Judge ever decided to drop by and stand between the Umpire and the Side Judge, they'd be awfully close to describing some of their calls. :p

HensRock
October 4th, 2005, 04:37 PM
HR, you have WAY to much time on your hands. :D :D :D ;) ;) ;)

What can I say? Math is a hobby. It's not like I went through every combination to arrive at that figure!

But some of the things that can be spelled with game officials:

BUS
HUB
SUB
RUB
FUR
RUBS
HUBS
FURS
SURF
RUSH
BUSH
LUSH
FLUB
HUFF
LUFF
BUFF
RUFF
FURL
BURL
HURL
HURLS
HUFFS
LUFFS
BUFFS
RUFFS
FURLS
BURLS
BRUSH
BLUFF
SLUFF
BLUSH
FLUSH
SHRUB
BLUFFS

JALMOND
October 4th, 2005, 04:44 PM
LUSH and HURL...

Lined up like that late in the game could possibly describe some of the fans in the stands.

hvsader
October 4th, 2005, 09:54 PM
seeing the same B-U-S-H at Yale vs Holy Cross I thought we were in for a long afternoon considering he's among their distinguished alums