PDA

View Full Version : Defense has strong day in Tribe Spring Game.

Tribe4SF
April 12th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Thunderstorms in the area limited attendance, but held off long enough to allow W&M to complete its spring game.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/story.php/6943/

Pictured are Tribe Quad-Captains QB Jake Phillips, LB Josh Rutter, WR Elliott Mack, and CB Derek Cox.

paward
April 12th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Nice article. Have a question for you Tribe. What other team is a rival game for you all. I know our rivalry is the oldest and best I might add. Who else is considerd a foe for you all? I was thinking VMI but I could be wrong.

Tribe4SF
April 13th, 2008, 02:00 AM
JMU is our modern day rival game. We've played VMI 85 times, but their lack of competitiveness over the past thirty years has taken alot of lustre off that game. Delaware is also seen as a rival.

We will not play VMI in 2009. The last year that game was not played was 1939.

Thunderstruck84
April 13th, 2008, 03:09 AM
:p Is this thread about the Battle of Little Big Horn?

:o :o :o xpeacex

xprayx xprayx xprayx Lord I apologize xprayx xprayx xprayx

paward
April 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM
JMU is our modern day rival game. We've played VMI 85 times, but their lack of competitiveness over the past thirty years has taken alot of lustre off that game. Delaware is also seen as a rival.

We will not play VMI in 2009. The last year that game was not played was 1939.

Thank you for the info. I am not one but some or our older fans (the ones that been around for awhile) think the game with you all is the game of the year. I mean I do want to win it from a conference stance, but there are others that think if you lose them all and win W&M then there is a level of content. Do you get the same impression from your fan base? I will have to say in my short time at Richmond I enjoy the game and the trip over. Great atmosphere for a rivalry.

Tribe4SF
April 13th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Thank you for the info. I am not one but some or our older fans (the ones that been around for awhile) think the game with you all is the game of the year. I mean I do want to win it from a conference stance, but there are others that think if you lose them all and win W&M then there is a level of content. Do you get the same impression from your fan base? I will have to say in my short time at Richmond I enjoy the game and the trip over. Great atmosphere for a rivalry.

The rivalry does not carry that kind of weight among Tribe fans. It once did, but became less of a focus during the 90s when UR's program was struggling, and their attendance fell off. The JMU game is a bigger deal now, and in recent years both VMI and Liberty have drawn better crowds at Zable than the Richmond game has.

The sad thing to me is that despite the resurgence of Spider football, Richmond area fans have not come back. Hopefully we will both have strong records this year, and maybe we can fill Zable for the game.

On the subject of Richmond, and our hope for improvement on the defensive side, one of our Freshmen who looks like he will help is DT Harold Robertson from Hermitage. He's pictured below during the Spring Game.

paward
April 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I echo the attendence sentiments. It has gotten better over the last two years but has a long way to come. If the spring game was an indicator I think it picks up. We are doing a better job embracing the Richmond area as well. Only time will tell if the playoffs run helped.