PDA

View Full Version : UT MARTIN FOOTBALL PLAYER SIGNS CONTRACT WITH CFL TEAM

Weems
April 11th, 2008, 04:22 PM
MARTIN, Tenn. --- UT Martin senior Jessie "Juice" Burton says he is taking the first step toward realizing his dream of playing professional football by signing a contract to play for the Calgary Stampeders in the Canadian Football League.

Burton will graduate in May and report to preseason camp in Calgary at the end of May.

"Everybody has to take a first step and this is mine," Burton said.

Burton played the past two seasons for head coach Jason Simpson and the UT Martin Skyhawks. He helped lead the Skyhawks to the 2006 Ohio Valley Conference championship and their first ever trip to the Football Championship playoffs. In 2007, Burton played wide receiver, cornerback and special teams for the Skyhawks.

As a wide receiver Burton made 17 catches for 415 yards and four touchdowns this past season. On defense he made 23 total tackles, two interceptions and five pass breakups. On special teams Burton returned kicks and punts. He had 19 punt returns for 197 yards. He returned 36 kicks for 825 yards and one touchdown.

Burton has 2,723 all-purpose yards and nine touchdowns. He returned two kickoffs for touchdowns for in 2006. One of those returns, a 100-yard return, tied a school record for the longest return for a touchdown.

"They plan to use me at all three positions," Burton said.

The Stampeders found out about Burton from his junior college coach, Dom Green, at Southwestern. Burton was invited to a tryout in Chattanooga and recently completed a three-day mini-camp in Orlando.

"This is a new experience for me," Burton said. "I have never been to Canada."

Burton's academic advisor, Dr. Laura Brown, said Burton won't have any trouble adjusting to his new team.

"Juice loves life and he has a dynamic personality that is contagious," she said. "Because of his confidence and playful personality he is a leader among his peers."

Brown helped Burton understand the specifics of his new contract and acted as a liaison for Burton with Calgary team officials.

"I am thankful for Dr. Brown," Burton said. "Every time I needed help or I didn't understand the contract Dr. Brown was there for me. She went out of her way to help me and I appreciate her very much."

Burton would like to play in the NFL one day, but he realizes this opportunity to play in the CFL is the first step.

"You need to go as far as you can before you quit," Burton said. "That's what I am trying to do."

Burton will join former UT Martin player Marc Calixte on the Calgary roster.

Calixte played linebacker at UT Martin from 1999-2002. He was the first player from UT Martin to be drafted by a Canadian Football League team. He was drafted by the Stampeders with their fourth pick in the first round (seventh overall pick) in the 2003 CFL College Draft.

http://www.utmsports.com/fullstory.cfm?id=3130&sport=Football

Congrats Juice, you deserve it

Lehigh Football Nation
April 11th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks, I added this to the CSN Log too!

Don't forget, if there's any articles that aren't in the CSN Log that you think ought to be, use the following form:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/feedback.asp

To alert people of interesting articles and the like!