PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra coach in a little trouble here

paward
April 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Have not heard both sides yet. But players are not the only ones to get in trouble.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-liball0401,0,2745403.story

Uncle Buck
April 12th, 2008, 10:42 AM
It actually happened a couple of weeks ago if i'm not mistaken. From what i understand, the university has suspended him with pay pending the investigation. I also understand that the guy he punched out is not a saint. Again this is just word of mouth, but the guy who got knocked out spit on Khamal and subsequently got punched.

Most of these leagues are bad news. To often you find guys who are thugs taking cheapshots at people.

Grizzaholic
April 12th, 2008, 12:08 PM
It actually happened a couple of weeks ago if i'm not mistaken. From what i understand, the university has suspended him with pay pending the investigation. I also understand that the guy he punched out is not a saint. Again this is just word of mouth, but the guy who got knocked out spit on Khamal and subsequently got punched.

Most of these leagues are bad news. To often you find guys who are thugs taking cheapshots at people.

It doesn't really matter what the guy did, whether it was just talk or spit, you got to have some restraint. Especially when you are a teacher to others. It just kind of sets a bad example for other people who look up to you.

Uncle Buck
April 12th, 2008, 01:31 PM
It doesn't really matter what the guy did, whether it was just talk or spit, you got to have some restraint. Especially when you are a teacher to others. It just kind of sets a bad example for other people who look up to you.

I'm the first to agree, especially as the father of three and an educator. But if someone spits on me, you better believe there going to take one in the chops. You want to talk trash, that's fine, but spitting on someone crosses the line.

Grizzaholic
April 12th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I'm the first to agree, especially as the father of three and an educator. But if someone spits on me, you better believe there going to take one in the chops. You want to talk trash, that's fine, but spitting on someone crosses the line.

I am not saying I wouldn't do the exact same thing but when you are setting an example to the kids you teach, whether it be in a classroom or on the football field.

Monarch History
April 12th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I say let the police investigation take its course and find out what really happened.

slostang
April 12th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Spitting definately crosses the line. Although I would hope I would show restraint, if someone spits on me there is a very good probability that they are going to be spitting out a tooth or two.

jmu_duke07
April 12th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Sometimes the best way to set someone straight is to knock'em out. Now you have @$$3$ running around protected by law... I know if someone spit on me, it would def. be there last

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Sometimes the best way to set someone straight is to knock'em out. Now you have @$$3$ running around protected by law... I know if someone spit on me, it would def. be there last

I agree with all of those that think this way. I don't know if that is what really happen end in this case or not. The one thing I do know is that I saw a similar situation happen to a teacher I had back when and he did nothing about it. His pacifist way of handling things gave me no respect for him whatsoever. The thing that I took from that was not a lesson in how to act from a teacher, it was a lesson in what a pussy he was. If the rumor that this guy spit on hem is true then I think the actions were a beautiful case of comeuppance. If not then the coach is a douchebag with a lack of dignity.

jessesd
April 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Fire the beocht!!!!
The game is a battlefield and you do your best, but once is over you move on!
After the game is over.... you shake hands, (that's the rule)....share a drink and laugh it off.
As a Hofstra Alumn... I feel he should have knock him out during the game, right after he spit.. or whatever it was, not after the game was over.... when he is not expecting it, that's cowardice!...
Both of them are idiots and thugs!!

Go...gate
April 13th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Tough situation. I think sometimes the AD needs to sit down with their new coaches and say: "listen, we're happy to have you here, but you represent our institution in the community and so we ask that you be careful when you are engaged in activities, etc".

SoCon48
April 14th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Odd that the article doesn't mention anything about spitting. After the game is not a smart time to retalliate. He could have decked him during the game action and maybe just been penalized and ejected.

Dude might not have job when all is said and done.xnonox

SoCon48
April 14th, 2008, 01:44 PM

The guy should have asked himself "Is this worth my job and livelihood."

Uncle Buck
April 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM
The guy should have asked himself "Is this worth my job and livelihood."

Newsday is a rag that is notorius for misinformation and shoddy reporting. From what i have heard, and again, i have only heard this, the spitting incident took place at the post game get together.

Not that i'm condoning it or anything, but again, someone spits on me, he'll be spitting chicklets when i get through with him.

danefan
April 14th, 2008, 02:50 PM
A few years ago a few of us UA alumni formed a team to play in a flag football league. We thought "We just graduated and played DI football, we should run through the league with no problem." Well the problem we ran into was these leagues tend to be more of "mid-life crisis" leagues then athletic.

There is a certain code of ethics that football players usually respect on the field of play. #1 rule is to not take it personal. If you get pancaked, its part of the game. Its usually not personal.

We ran through the first few teams until we came up against a group of classic weekend brawlers. I scrambled and got clotheslined by a guy who came off the sideline. The play before the guy had gotten pancaked by an o-lineman. Well that was the end of our team in that league. No way we were going out there to play in a league like that.

I suspect the same sort of thing happened here and I feel for the guy. Shouldn't have hit anybody, but man, it's a tough situation. And the article says touch football, but if it is really the Long Island Flag Football League, I know it is probably the same thing. There a lot of guys that play in that league that take it way too serious.

Monarch History
April 14th, 2008, 03:26 PM
A few years ago a few of us UA alumni formed a team to play in a flag football league. We thought "We just graduated and played DI football, we should run through the league with no problem." Well the problem we ran into was these leagues tend to be more of "mid-life crisis" leagues then athletic.

.... There's a lot of guys that play in that league that take it way too serious.

I have a friend who played WR in the Continental Football League in the '60s. The league was an upstart league that lasted only a few years and had quite a few soon to be NFL players. Otis Sistrunk, Ken Stabler, Coy Bacon, Dan Henning and Garo Yepremian to name a few. He also played WR for Florida State. He said he never received a serious injury while playing in college or the professional ranks. He quit football in '70 and went to chiropractic school in Chicago. They formed a team and played in a touch league in the city. In three years he had a broken arm, nose and three cracked ribs. He said there was always someone who had something to prove. In most cases he said it was to prove they were an a$$.xlolx

Touchdown Yosef
April 14th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Isn't this guy already on thin ice for sitting back and doing nothing while a female assistant on of the team was locked in the bathroom and sexually harrassed?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36826

I can't imagine his job is too safe at this point.

Fordham
April 14th, 2008, 03:49 PM

There is a certain code of ethics that football players usually respect on the field of play. #1 rule is to not take it personal. If you get pancaked, its part of the game. Its usually not personal.

We ran through the first few teams until we came up against a group of classic weekend brawlers. I scrambled and got clotheslined by a guy who came off the sideline. The play before the guy had gotten pancaked by an o-lineman. Well that was the end of our team in that league. No way we were going out there to play in a league like that.

I suspect the same sort of thing happened here and I feel for the guy. Shouldn't have hit anybody, but man, it's a tough situation. And the article says touch football, but if it is really the Long Island Flag Football League, I know it is probably the same thing. There a lot of guys that play in that league that take it way too serious.

Bingo! Couldn't agree more on the frustrated ex-jock problem with leagues like this.

My first year out of school I played in the Staten Island touch-tackle league. I still remember lining up for the first KO of the year and having the guys huddle up and scream about how this was what we've all been waiting for all week!! Being a year out of school I think I either had gone straight to the game after being out all night or at most had 2 hours of sleep in me. Even through that fog, though, I could still remember thinking 'what the hell is wrong with someone who's life is all about getting to THIS!?!?' I still had some fun and there were really a handful of just great athletes as well; however, whatever stereotype exists out there of a muscle-head NY-er might have seems to get played out in person every week on one of their fields.

2 or 3 years later a co-worker needed some fill-ins for his LI league and it was deja-vu all over again.

Uncle Buck
April 14th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Isn't this guy already on thin ice for sitting back and doing nothing while a female assistant on of the team was locked in the bathroom and sexually harrassed?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36826

I can't imagine his job is too safe at this point.

I think you mean "...ALLEGEDLY sitting back and doing nothing while a female assistant on the team was ALLEGEDLY locked in the bathroom and sexually harrassed?" I don't recall him being named personally but maybe, i'm just too tired to read the whole thread. As of late, there hasn't been a peep about the case.

It was dumb to get into the altercation and draw negative attention to the program. Tough to judge what happened though until all of the facts are out. If he sucker punched him, he should be locked up. If the guy spit on him and got punched, sucks to be the guy who got knocked out.

Touchdown Yosef
April 14th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I think you mean "...ALLEGEDLY sitting back and doing nothing while a female assistant on the team was ALLEGEDLY locked in the bathroom and sexually harrassed?" I don't recall him being named personally but maybe, i'm just too tired to read the whole thread. As of late, there hasn't been a peep about the case.

It was dumb to get into the altercation and draw negative attention to the program. Tough to judge what happened though until all of the facts are out. If he sucker punched him, he should be locked up. If the guy spit on him and got punched, sucks to be the guy who got knocked out.

Yes, I do mean allegedly. Regarless I would think he is already on thin ice. Seems to me you should start interviewing new coaches, I have obviously never met the guy but from the outside looking in he doesn't appear to be the type of guy I want in charge of the young men on my football team.

eaglesrthe1
April 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM
It's simple. Guy spits on you, have him arrested. Punching him out costs you far more than it costs him.

Uncle Buck
April 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM
It's simple. Guy spits on you, have him arrested. Punching him out costs you far more than it costs him.

Then you're a better man than me.

YoUDeeMan
April 15th, 2008, 09:26 PM
The 28 year old coach hit a 57 year old man! xeekx

Bye-bye.

Besdies, maybe the old guy just accidentally drooled on him. xlolx

eaglesrthe1
April 15th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Then you're a better man than me.

Nah, it's just a case of is it worth it? This fella will probably be looking at a nice medical bill, some pain and suffering loot, and throw in a chunk for a lawyer and fines. Cap it off with some probable probation for which he will have to pay for his own supervision, and a spot on his record. Not to mention that he may be in a job hunt.

If it were me with my luck, the guy would have probably popped that aneurysm in his head that was going to blow five minutes later on it's own, and I'd get to spend the rest of my life fending off the advances of Bubba just because some clown hocked a loogie on me.

Uncle Buck
April 16th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Nah, it's just a case of is it worth it? This fella will probably be looking at a nice medical bill, some pain and suffering loot, and throw in a chunk for a lawyer and fines. Cap it off with some probable probation for which he will have to pay for his own supervision, and a spot on his record. Not to mention that he may be in a job hunt.

If it were me with my luck, the guy would have probably popped that aneurysm in his head that was going to blow five minutes later on it's own, and I'd get to spend the rest of my life fending off the advances of Bubba just because some clown hocked a loogie on me.

Good points. Then again, Hosftra pays its coaches next to nothing, you get get blood from a stone.

Uncle Buck
April 16th, 2008, 09:10 AM
The 28 year old coach hit a 57 year old man! xeekx

Bye-bye.

Besdies, maybe the old guy just accidentally drooled on him. xlolx

Trust me, i know plenty of 57 yr old guys in great shape. Don't forget, 60 is the new 40, so technically this guy was still in his 30's. xrotatehx