PDA

View Full Version : GFC Race

Paladin1aa
October 3rd, 2005, 11:16 AM
Mark it down -- going to be a wild one in the GFC this year. For the naysayers, alot of folks got YSU wrong this year. SIU is "ordinary". WKU can be "had". UNI is in trouble away from the "Dome". ILS is very good & will surprise. MSU will shock some folks. Only WIU and INS look down & out.

While many of us looked at YSU climbing back into national prominence NEXT year with a powerhouse, they are "arriving" a year early. Should approach the stretch run vs. the Big 3 at 7-1 . If thats the case, YSU will beat several of the big boys and be play-off bound.

And if we get in this year, we'll do serious damage in the play-offs.

Next year --- LIGHTS OUT!! Wild one in the GFC this year-- :nod: :nod:

ysubigred
October 3rd, 2005, 11:24 AM
:twocents: I'll hold off on the Tix's to Chatty right now. If Indy St scored 28 on WKU's "D" how many will we give up to the tree's? I'll be there to root them on in TH and hope YSU does what you say Paladin then :xmas:

Paladin1aa
October 3rd, 2005, 11:56 AM
Mark it down , Red. The Guins will destroy the Trees. If WKU could only beat them by 10pts. , the Pens will beat them by 20 or more.

You didn't see ILS. I did. We are going to beat alot of people this year. Some close, but many NOT close. We ARE a year early.

Chi Panther
October 3rd, 2005, 12:08 PM
I have tons of respect for YSU.....that being said.....

Everyone is talking about how good YSU and ILL St are playing. Thats great...but MSU is going to be no push over. WIU DOES have a serious offense (a good coach down there).....just not a defense.

I for one am happy that YSU has to come to CF this year. YSU can make the playoffs...I agree with that.....but don't tell me that you'll be 7-1 going into the BIG 3......SEEMS to me that you still have to play a BIG 6.

Good luck! But IF you don't make the playoffs and finally FIRE that coach out there.......YOU WILL NOT BE MAKING A DEEP RUN NEXT YEAR......

nmatsen
October 3rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
I have tons of respect for YSU.....that being said.....

Everyone is talking about how good YSU and ILL St are playing. Thats great...but MSU is going to be no push over. WIU DOES have a serious offense (a good coach down there).....just not a defense.

I for one am happy that YSU has to come to CF this year. YSU can make the playoffs...I agree with that.....but don't tell me that you'll be 7-1 going into the BIG 3......SEEMS to me that you still have to play a BIG 6.

Good luck! But IF you don't make the playoffs and finally FIRE that coach out there.......YOU WILL NOT BE MAKING A DEEP RUN NEXT YEAR......

Chitown Panther, do not use those words so quickly, I seem to remember a down four years in UNI's history(Dunbar Era) following a coach that took us to a National Power (T.A.) Only to be suceeded by none other than Mark Farley making a deep playoff run in 01'. It is very possible for a Coach to step in first year and make a run, just like Farley did.

Chi Panther
October 3rd, 2005, 12:35 PM
Chitown Panther, do not use those words so quickly, I seem to remember a down four years in UNI's history(Dunbar Era) following a coach that took us to a National Power (T.A.) Only to be suceeded by none other than Mark Farley making a deep playoff run in 01'. It is very possible for a Coach to step in first year and make a run, just like Farley did.

Very tru!

galojay
October 3rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
Clearly, the GFC is wild this year. I think on Any Given Saturday, anyone could beat anyone. Their is no easy game, you will always need to bring your "A" game every Saturday.

Killtoppers90
October 3rd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Mark it down , Red. The Guins will destroy the Trees. If WKU could only beat them by 10pts. , the Pens will beat them by 20 or more.

You didn't see ILS. I did. We are going to beat alot of people this year. Some close, but many NOT close. We ARE a year early.

Looks like Paladin is drinking the Kool-Aid! Not that YSU could possibly beat most the team sin the GFC but you won ONE game!!!!!

Paladin1aa
October 3rd, 2005, 02:12 PM
Just one of many to come !! :D :D :D

WKU will be "welcomed" in Youngstown this year !! :nod: :nod: :nod:

FlyYtown
October 3rd, 2005, 02:31 PM
I have said in the predictions thread before the season YSU will start 7-1 into the Big 3 and the critics on the radio every Saturday agreed.

I still agree.

If we go 7-1 into those games vs. UNO-SIU-WKU; you'd have to think they will all be TOP 10 Matchups. I think the WKU at YSU will be the best shot for YSU. A lot of YSU Fans have this lets say HATE toward WKU and the crowds at prior games have been big at the YS-SHOE! If we are 7-3 into that game I'd think a sell out could be in order and the famous ICE CASTLE Curse will fall on the hilltoppers!

Go Penguins!

FIRST TIME TO TOP 25 ON TSN POLL SINCE OCT 2002!

PantherMan
October 3rd, 2005, 02:48 PM
Wow, I sure hope you're right Paladin. A 7-1 matchup between YSU and UNI in the Dome would be great to see. The game the week before against MSU is most likely the only game that could prevent this from happening. Good luck to the Penguins!

Grande Rosso
October 3rd, 2005, 02:55 PM
A lot of YSU Fans have this lets say HATE toward WKU . . .

Explanation, please?

ysubigred
October 3rd, 2005, 03:27 PM
I had a blast in 04 down in BG the fans are as cool as any (towards me anyways). I did have a mean mouth frat boy (WKU) say F the Penguins in front of my 12 year old :spank: but booze brings out the best in us all :) I believe the last time WKU visited YSU your 03 team was taunting the fan's with some obscene jestures :confused: I maybe wrong just remember hearing it.

Grande Rosso
October 3rd, 2005, 03:55 PM
I had a blast in 04 down in BG the fans are as cool as any (towards me anyways). I did have a mean mouth frat boy (WKU) say F the Penguins in front of my 12 year old :spank: but booze brings out the best in us all :) I believe the last time WKU visited YSU your 03 team was taunting the fan's with some obscene jestures :confused: I maybe wrong just remember hearing it.

I remember the fan / bench "dialogue ( I thought it was in '01 ). I was sitting near the "fans", students kind of like the foul-mouthed guy you commented on at WKU. It wasn't anyone on the team arguing with him, it was a person "associated with the team" (donor) who was on the sideline and had rabbit ears.

YSU tailgating fans treated us very kindly in '01 and '03. Both were early afternoon games, I think, and we were served a nice homemade breakfast on both occasions.

Great fans, they really get into the spirit. WKU is developing that kind of following, but so far it is just a core group. Not nearly as large a following as the Pens.

galojay
October 3rd, 2005, 04:52 PM
I certainly am willing to believe that YSU is greatly improved and the game won't be an easy one at all. I don't think any GFC game will be an easy one.

ysubigred
October 3rd, 2005, 07:58 PM
You maybe right Grande R 01 - 03. I know it had something to do with bench and fan's. I live here in KY, FT Knox so I don't get to go back home for YSU home games very often. Last home game for me was the PITT game :)

Reed Rothchild
October 3rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
I'm glad we have YSU in the dome this year. I'd hate for the 'Cats to have to go to Stambaugh.

igo4uni
October 3rd, 2005, 08:32 PM
I'm glad we have YSU in the dome this year. I'd hate for the 'Cats to have to go to Stambaugh.

I'm kinda glad SIU will be coming to the fabulous UNI-Dome this year too!! :D

Too bad WKU isn't coming north as well! :)

peace

igo4uni

siugrad99
October 3rd, 2005, 08:41 PM
SIU has by far played down to its competition since the WMU game. Props to MSU for the effort and game plan it brought to Carbondale, but don't think your just going to walk into McAndrew and go home with a "W". Continue to cheer for your team, but be honest about your chances and realize that the gateway is not getting 4 teams in the playoffs and 3 is even a stretch depending on how bad we beat one another up. Beating ISU is nice for your conference record, but you are only 2 weeks removed from your butt whoopin by Pitt. Oh how 1 win will erase the memories of 1 loss.

Congrats on your refound sucess, just don't let it go to your head to quickly.

ISUMatt
October 3rd, 2005, 08:44 PM
I don't think any GFC game will be an easy one.

Not at all being cocky but the Toppers better be ready this weekend in Normal!!! Birds are VASTLY improved...

igo4uni
October 3rd, 2005, 09:02 PM
Not at all being cocky but the Toppers better be ready this weekend in Normal!!! Birds are VASTLY improved...

"No Gateway team should take another Gateway team for granted"

--igo4uni

peace

igo4uni

galojay
October 3rd, 2005, 09:18 PM

Don't I know it!! I am scared about this game. Trying to decide if I am going to drive up.

galojay
October 3rd, 2005, 09:19 PM
I'm kinda glad SIU will be coming to the fabulous UNI-Dome this year too!! :D

Too bad WKU isn't coming north as well! :)

peace

igo4uni

WKU does have the most favorable schedule, with UNI and SIU both at home. I hope it is enough!

igo4uni
October 3rd, 2005, 09:22 PM
WKU does have the most favorable schedule, with UNI and SIU both at home. I hope it is enough!

UNI has been beaten by WKU the last couple of years. I hope we can pull out a win in Bowling Green.

peace

igo4uni

skinny_uncle
October 3rd, 2005, 09:58 PM
It should be a very interesting race. The Salukis probably got the worst end of the schedule with road games at both WKU and UNI. We can't expect much in the way of blowouts like last year anywhere in the league this year. MSU made that plain last Saturday. It is going to be a tough year but should better prepare the Gateway teams who make it for the playoffs. I expect some postseason wins this year.

igo4uni
October 4th, 2005, 08:30 AM
I expect some postseason wins this year.

I would certainly hope so!!

peace

igo4uni

Paladin1aa
October 4th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Maybe some "new" post-season faces in the play-offs this year !! :D

nmatsen
October 4th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Maybe some "new" post-season faces in the play-offs this year !! :D

Lets not get carried away, come on, you beat Illinois State. At home! A lot of football left to be played and until someone knocks off the best, they can not be the best. See you on the 29th!

Paladin1aa
October 4th, 2005, 02:31 PM
We'll be there and probably 7-1. Should be a good one !! :p

galojay
October 4th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Man, YSU fans are getting REALLY over confident. Makes me want to beat them more, just to humble 'em.

Killtoppers90
October 4th, 2005, 04:06 PM
We'll be there and probably 7-1. Should be a good one !! :p

RIGHT!http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/photos/pot_smoker020504.jpg

windwalker
October 4th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Lets not get carried away, come on, you beat Illinois State. At home! A lot of football left to be played and until someone knocks off the best, they can not be the best. See you on the 29th!

And actually the Redbirds outplayed YSU except for the turnovers... I think everyone in th GFC better watch out for the 'Birds of Normal.

ISUMatt
October 4th, 2005, 05:13 PM
YSU has been down, they are 4-1 and looking to maybe be 7-1, let them enjoy it, I know if ILS was 7-1 y.all be tired of hearing me preach. Let the guys that havent had success in awhile enjoy it while they can, I know first hand sometimes there are LONG periods of time with no joy

galojay
October 4th, 2005, 05:45 PM
One shouldn't dish out more crow than one can eat.

Paladin1aa
October 4th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Never sell the Penguins short. Especially this year.

I wouldn't sell the 'Birds short either. Both are going to take some LARGE "pieces" out of some GFC "hides" !! :nod: :nod: :nod:

FlyYtown
October 4th, 2005, 06:45 PM
YSU Is most certainly back. Yes 7-1. They Should finish like 8-3 into the playoffs and Maybe just Maybe they can be considered a home playoff spot.. LOL I don't really care I just want the Ice Castle on ESPN!

Anywho this isn't a 1 year thing.
QB Zetts will be a Junior.
K will be a Sophomore.
3 starting TB's will be back.
TOP 5 TE in Nation in 2003 has transferred from Ohio State and will be a Junior
Another Huge Player Miles Williams Transferred from Mich. State and will be a Sophomore. The last two guys are local guys.

This team has DYNASTY written all over it since Gliatta has a ton of expierence at QB already and we got a major QB down in Steubenville who is 6-0 in Ohio High School Football!

siugrad99
October 4th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Your right we all give up YSU is the greatest ! Etch their name in the trophy today.

11/05/05

Paladin1aa
October 4th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Oh, I wouldn't do that, LOL !! Its just that everyone knew what we would have back next year after what would have been a little better than .500 this year.( 6-5 or better)

But, whoa Nellie. They have "arrived" a YEAR EARLY. Helped tremendously by transfers who showed up late and unannounced, a "steal" from the BB team ( a 6'7,250 TE who was the starting power forward on the team and an ex- All Star FB player in H.S.), untested Jucos who are proving to be OUTSTANDING (One was a Juco AA) and a couple of position switches that not only worked out,but they are potential All-Stars as well.

All the pieces fell together early. Next year will be even BETTER !! :nod:

galojay
October 4th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Geeez guys, we all know YSU is doing well.. you don't have to rant on and on about it. It is very early in the season folks. My goodness. You all are sounding giddy. Act like you've won four national championships.

Pantherpower
October 4th, 2005, 08:17 PM
YSU fans are excited and that's understandable, but seem to forget they got rolled by a very poor Pitt team. To say I would be shocked if the Penguins came to Cedar Falls and even gave UNI a game would be an understatement.

Paladin1aa
October 4th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Just as the Panthers used to get "rolled" by cupcake Iowa St.

Reality for I-AA is I-As ARE supposed to win. That loss took our record to 19-19-1 vs I-As.

We are "back" in our league. Ready or not, here we come !! :nod: :nod: :nod:

siugrad99
October 4th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Hands the 2006 National Championship over to Youngstown now. NCAA has decided to cancel the 2006 season and 2005 playoffs based on Paladin's predictions. :rolleyes:

galojay
October 4th, 2005, 08:55 PM
shew, glad we got that out of the way. Not playing all these games will actually save most I-AA schools money.

nmatsen
October 5th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Just as the Panthers used to get "rolled" by cupcake Iowa St.

Reality for I-AA is I-As ARE supposed to win. That loss took our record to 19-19-1 vs I-As.

We are "back" in our league. Ready or not, here we come !! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Ok, when we were gettiing rolled by ISU they were contending for Big 12-N Championships and going to bowl games, not sitting around talking if they might win 4 games like Pitt is this year. 10/29 UNIPAnthers 56-YSUPenquins 17. There you go, prove me wrong by telling me that you beat a great IL State team and are now going to be 7-1 coming to the dome.

Paladin1aa
October 5th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I'll let you offend ILS. We thought they were pretty good. Still do. They may get better.

56-17 ??? :p :p :p :p :p

See you in the Dome. We'll be at 7-1. And you ?? :D

nmatsen
October 5th, 2005, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=Paladin1aa]I'll let you offend ILS. We thought they were pretty good. Still do. They may get better.

56-17 ??? :p :p :p :p :p

See you in the Dome. We'll be at 7-1. And you ?? :D[/QUOTE

What good is it to start 7-1 when you are going to finish 0-3? Seems just like another mediocre YSU team. The last time a YSU fan was spouting off about coming to the UNI dome was in 2001, we all know what happened then. I think some of your seniors that year are still behind our wood shed. See ya!

Mountain Panther
October 5th, 2005, 10:05 PM
It will be difficult to stop UNI's offense. Hopefully the defense call pull it together on the road. The SIU/UNI game in the Dome in 2003 was the best football game I've ever seen - hopefully we can do it again.

igo4uni
October 6th, 2005, 05:43 PM
See you in the Dome. We'll be at 7-1. And you ?? :D

If YSU comes to the fabulous UNI-Dome with a 7-1 record, it could be an awesome month of football in Cedar Falls. If, SIU and WKU could stay unscathed in league play, the month of November could present some awesome matchups:

10.29.05 UNI vs. YSU @ UNI-Dome
11.05.05 UNI vs. WKU @ WKU
11.12.05 UNI vs. SIU @ UNI-Dome
11.19.05 UNI vs. Northern Arizona @ UNI-Dome

Hang on tight boys, it's gonna be fun!!!! ;)

peace

igo4uni