View Full Version : UNI 2008 schedule

MplsBison
April 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=91232

2008 UNI Football Schedule
Date Opponent Site Time
Aug. 30 BYU Provo, Utah 5 p.m.
Sept. 6 South Dakota UNI-Dome 4:05 p.m.
Sept. 20 South Dakota State* (Family Weekend) UNI-Dome 4:05 p.m.
Sept. 27 at Southern Illinois* Carbondale, Ill. 6 p.m.
Oct. 11 Illinois State* (Homecoming) UNI-Dome 4:05 p.m.
Oct. 18 North Dakota State* UNI-Dome 4:05 p.m.
Oct. 25 at Youngstown State* Youngstown, Ohio 3 p.m.
Nov. 1 at Western Illinois* Macomb, Ill. 6:05 p.m.
Nov. 8 Missouri State* UNI-Dome 4:05 p.m.
Nov. 15 at Indiana State* Terre Haute, Ind. 11 a.m.
Nov. 22 at Southern Utah Cedar City, Utah 2 p.m.

It is interesting to note that South Dakota, South Dakota State and North Dakota State all travel to the UNI dome this season.

North Dakota has already beaten UNI in the UNI dome.

Can the Dakota 4 make it a 4 way sweep?

TexasTerror
April 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Only five home games...you must disapprove of this schedule, eh MplsBison? They should buy out of something, I'm sure...

If UNI takes care of business early, they should be able to walk nicely into the playoffs with M-State at home plus Indiana St and SUU on the road...

BearsCountry
April 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Only five home games...you must disapprove of this schedule, eh MplsBison? They should buy out of something, I'm sure...

If UNO takes care of business early, they should be able to walk nicely into the playoffs with M-State at home plus Indiana St and SUU on the road...

When did Nebraska-Omaha become FCS? xlolx

Mountain Panther
April 7th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Second straight season with only five home games. Upsetting. xnonono2x

Cap'n Cat
April 7th, 2008, 09:18 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=91232

It is interesting to note that South Dakota, South Dakota State and North Dakota State all travel to the UNI dome this season.

North Dakota has already beaten UNI in the UNI dome.

Can the Dakota 4 make it a 4 way sweep?

This guy fears UNI, that's all. NDSU is depleted this year and they're staring down both barrels of 5-6.

xrolleyesx

BisBison
April 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
This guy fears UNI, that's all. NDSU is depleted this year and they're staring down both barrels of 5-6.

xrolleyesx

LMAO at that. Depleted??? I think not.xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox We'll see you in the fall. We're excited about the Gateway that's for sure.

MplsBison
April 7th, 2008, 09:37 PM

Just like the old days when UNI was in the NCC, right?

Rob Iola
April 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM

If UNI takes care of business early, they should be able to walk nicely into the playoffs with M-State at home plus Indiana St and SUU on the road...
Dunno - looks like they could easily go 2-2 or even 1-3 to start the season, especially with a new QB at the helm. I'll be rooting for them all the way (would luv to see a playoff rematch, though this time in Newark), but yeesh at BYU, at SIU, daWascaliWabbits - will be a tough start...

FWIW we're in the same boat...

slostang
April 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Second straight season with only five home games. Upsetting. xnonono2x

What makes that even worse is that they could schedule 12 games next season.

MplsBison
April 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM
The only reason to schedule 12 games is if you have no reasonable shot at the playoffs. (*cough* Poly *cough*)

nwFL Griz
April 8th, 2008, 07:41 AM
The only reason to schedule 12 games is if you have no reasonable shot at the playoffs. (*cough* Poly *cough*)

Don't scoff there Bison, most FCS pundits would argue that the Stangs have just as good a shot to make the playoffs as your Bison do. Remember, you're not in the Great West anymore....the Gateway is going to be a lot tougher!

AshevilleApp2
April 8th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Tough schedule. Tough conference. Good luck.

crunifan
April 8th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Just like the old days when UNI was in the NCC, right?

Doesn't UNI have the winning record in the series thanks to those days?

MplsBison
April 8th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Don't scoff there Bison, most FCS pundits would argue that the Stangs have just as good a shot to make the playoffs as your Bison do. Remember, you're not in the Great West anymore....the Gateway is going to be a lot tougher!

Winning the Great West with only 3 counter teams is not going to get you into the playoffs like finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the Gateway guarantees you to.

nwFL Griz
April 8th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Winning the Great West with only 3 counter teams is not going to get you into the playoffs like finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the Gateway guarantees you to.

You completely missed the point. The point is, the Bison have a shot at finishing middle of the pack in the Gateway...5 losses is not inconceivable, is it? Before you answer that, you'd better make sure you are being honest with yourself....take off the green and gold colored glasses. It is unlikely they will lose 5, but not impossible. If they do lose 5....no playoffs.

Whereas, it is also not inconceivable that Cal Poly could finish the season with only 2 losses (both to FBS teams, though I happen to think they will beat San Diego St.) If that were to happen, they definitely make the playoffs.

slostang
April 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM

How about a 6th home game for the fans?

BTW, the Mustangs have a very reasonable shot at the playoffs. They return 10 of 11 starters off the number one 2007 FCS offense and their defense will be back toward the top of the FCS in 2008. While the Bison will be tough, they start the year for the first time without the services of Steve Walker and they have to navigate a very tough Gateway Conference. I think that Cal Poly has at least as good of a chance to make the playoffs as the Bison do. Possibly even a better chance.

MplsBison
April 8th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Whereas, it is also not inconceivable that Cal Poly could finish the season with only 2 losses (both to FBS teams, though I happen to think they will beat San Diego St.) If that were to happen, they definitely make the playoffs.

No, not definitely.

The strength of their schedule will have to be taken into consideration.

MplsBison
April 8th, 2008, 10:49 AM
How about a 6th home game for the fans?

We are giving our fans 6 home games and only scheduling 11 games in 2008.

Look for that trend to continue in 2009.

TexasTerror
April 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM

So you are going to buy out of games, eh MplsBison?

We already got that announcement...plus the new schedule. All those home games, it's going to push NDSU right into the playoffs...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39079

nwFL Griz
April 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
No, not definitely.

The strength of their schedule will have to be taken into consideration.

Let me make sure I am reading what you say correctly. You are saying that a 9-2 (10-2 if they get that 12th game schedule) Cal Poly team, with losses at San Diego St and Wisconsin, and wins over Montana, at McNeese and South Dakota St, isn't a lock for the playoffs?

I'm giving you a chance to recant here. Because if you ARE saying what I just wrote above, then you don't know jack***** about the FCS, or the playoffs.

TexasTerror
April 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I'm giving you a chance to recant here. Because if you ARE saying what I just wrote above, then you don't know jack***** about the FCS, or the playoffs.

He doesn't, we've already proven that time and time again -- he's not even accepted by the NDSU fan base (just ask them on Bisonville). Of all the fans on this board, he's the one that seems to have the least clue of anyone...xnonox

RabidRabbit
April 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Let me make sure I am reading what you say correctly. You are saying that a 9-2 (10-2 if they get that 12th game schedule) Cal Poly team, with losses at San Diego St and Wisconsin, and wins over Montana, at McNeese and South Dakota St, isn't a lock for the playoffs?

I'll note that 2 years ago that Jackrabbits beat Poly, and Poly turned around and beat the "other" SDSU Aztecs. So, they could be 9-2 with a FBS win too. xwhistlex xwhistlex

nwFL Griz
April 8th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I'll note that 2 years ago that Jackrabbits beat Poly, and Poly turned around and beat the "other" SDSU Aztecs. So, they could be 9-2 with a FBS win too. xwhistlex xwhistlex

C'mon Rabbit, it was a hypothetical situation. Anything could happen.

NorCalJack
April 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I'm curious to hear the reasoning for only scheduling 11 teams and then one of them being a non-counter? I guess if you finish in the top 3 in the Gateway you will probably get into the playoffs anyway.

It should also be a rule now that you have SDSU and NDSU in the conference that you can't schedule USD or UND. This will only add fuel to the fire from the UxD's in comparing scores in an attempt to measure there progress with the xDSU's. Especially when USD and SDSU are both playing at UNI in consecutive games.xnonox

Go State!!!
Go Jacks!!!

nwFL Griz
April 8th, 2008, 03:22 PM
It should also be a rule now that you have SDSU and NDSU in the conference that you can't schedule USD or UND. This will only add fuel to the fire from the UxD's in comparing scores in an attempt to measure there progress with the xDSU's. Especially when USD and SDSU are both playing at UNI in consecutive games.xnonox

That's completely ridiculous.....no other qualifying statement needed.

crunifan
April 8th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Umm, UNI can schedule South Dakota or North Dakota if they so please. And they have and I am sure will continue to do so.

UNI has a difficult time scheduling because no one wants to play us, let alone in the Dome. We've had to resort to paying Drake to play AT Drake like last year. So, 5 homes games is disappointing, but I'm sure we will get more home games next year.

slostang
April 8th, 2008, 03:54 PM

This thread is about UNI's 2008 schedule. You wrote why would anyone that has a real shot at the playoffs schedule 12 games. UNI only has 5 home games in 2008 so I wrote that a team may want to schedule 12 games to get a 6th home game for the fans.

turfdoc
April 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I just shot an email off to a colleague in Provo. I see a August 29th research seminar at BYU.

Hate the CAA
April 8th, 2008, 04:50 PM
UNI loses a lot... 4 of 5 starters on the OL and Sanders... Lewis is back but running behind who and with little experience. Will Pat Grace be able to get Johhny Gray the ball? On defense, they lose some LBs and a very good secondary. I am expecting a 5-6 to 7-4 season for the panthers much like the year after they lost to App St in the champ. Anytime you lose the best QB in school history along with 2 draft picks in Reinhardt and Keith and a probably free agent in Brannon Carter. More importantly, if Lewis goes down then who shoulders the load. Very surprised that UNI did not grab more transfers.

crunifan
April 8th, 2008, 05:02 PM
UNI loses a lot... 4 of 5 starters on the OL and Sanders... Lewis is back but running behind who and with little experience. Will Pat Grace be able to get Johhny Gray the ball? On defense, they lose some LBs and a very good secondary. I am expecting a 5-6 to 7-4 season for the panthers much like the year after they lost to App St in the champ. Anytime you lose the best QB in school history along with 2 draft picks in Reinhardt and Keith and a probably free agent in Brannon Carter. More importantly, if Lewis goes down then who shoulders the load. Very surprised that UNI did not grab more transfers.

Best QB in school history is quite subjective.

I bet Superbowl MVP and UNI alum Kurt Warner disagrees with said statement.

MplsBison
April 8th, 2008, 06:55 PM
You are saying that a 9-2 (10-2 if they get that 12th game schedule) Cal Poly team, with losses at San Diego St and Wisconsin, and wins over Montana, at McNeese and South Dakota St, isn't a lock for the playoffs?

Correct.

MplsBison
April 8th, 2008, 06:55 PM
It should also be a rule now that you have SDSU and NDSU in the conference that you can't schedule USD or UND.

That's fine, UND and USD will be in the Gateway in a few years.

BearsCountry
April 8th, 2008, 07:19 PM
That's fine, UND and USD will be in the Gateway in a few years.

Doubt it.

nwFL Griz
April 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Correct.

Wow, you really have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

MplsBison
April 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Doubt it.

Add yourself to the list of people who said something wrong today.

Cap'n Cat
April 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Hahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!

We don't need them, Hater. Best coaching staff in the GFC, bar none.

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

xcoffeex

Cap'n Cat
April 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Doubt it.

I doubt it, too. Too big with them.

Reed Rothchild
April 8th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Best QB in school history is quite subjective.

I bet Superbowl MVP and UNI alum Kurt Warner disagrees with said statement.

Um, Sanders took UNI further than anyone has ever before. Let alone a 1 year starter who rode the pine behind of the other other great QBs in UNI history. A superbowl win and NFL MVP does not mean he is the best QB at UNI.

PantherRob82
April 8th, 2008, 08:17 PM
2 possible opponents for a 6th game, but nothing looks likely. Ticket brochure goes to print with 5 home games.

Reed Rothchild
April 8th, 2008, 08:18 PM

Pat Grace probably has better physical tools than Sanders, but his intangibles will be the X factor.

slostang
April 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Correct.

You seemed to big on guarantees. I guarantee that if Cal Poly has nine wins with a schedule that includes games against San Diego State, Montana, McNeese State, Northwestern State, University of South Dakota, South Dakota State, Southern Utah, Idaho State, North Carolina Central, UC Davis and Wisoconsin, they will be in the playoffs. If you think different you are showing your ignorance.

BearsCountry
April 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Add yourself to the list of people who said something wrong today.

You must write a book each day then.

Cap'n Cat
April 8th, 2008, 08:30 PM

Hey, MplsBison is like your retarded little brother. You love him, but you don't want to go anywhere with him.

http://static.flickr.com/108/295991859_6352e13a08.jpg

xcoffeex

Chi Panther
April 8th, 2008, 08:46 PM

If you want to try and paint a more dismal picture....UNI has lost both starting CBs who were Juniors last year.....due to party brawl.

However, as any UNI fan will tell you making the Quarter-finals is expected.....even if this team isn't as good as last years.....they have the potential to go further in the playoffs than last years team....

I hope UNI continues to be doubted this year....

Mountain Panther
April 8th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I am expecting a 5-6 to 7-4 season for the panthers much like the year after they lost to App St in the champ.

Do me a favor and list the 6 teams we'll lose to this year...I'm curious.

MplsBison
April 8th, 2008, 10:08 PM

I said add yourself.

MplsBison
April 8th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Do me a favor and list the 6 teams we'll lose to this year...I'm curious.

NDSU, for one.

That will be both from North Dakota.

Maybe you should try recruiting up there?

JackTwice
April 8th, 2008, 10:23 PM
NDSU, for one.

Your own coaches don't recruit there.xwhistlex

I must be a bigger fan of reality tv than I thought because everytime I see a thread with a post from MplsBison I have to check it out to see what kind of a trainwreck it has become.xoopsx

Cap'n Cat
April 9th, 2008, 10:08 AM

I must be a bigger fan of reality tv than I thought because everytime I see a thread with a post from MplsBison I have to check it out to see what kind of a trainwreck it has become.xoopsx

xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx

There are board pariahs, then there are board PARIAHS.......

PantherRob82
April 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM
NDSU, for one.

unlike someone, we can't recruit the whole midwest and only pay in state tuition. ;)

MplsBison
April 9th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Minnesota pays close to ND instate tuition.

SD, WI, and IL pay somewhat more than that, but still relatively close.

Iowa refuses to give reciprocity, so it's full out of state for anyone from there. So we do not recruit Iowa at the moment.

PantherRob82
April 9th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Iowa refuses to give reciprocity, so it's full out of state for anyone from there. So we do not recruit Iowa at the moment.

Stupid Hawkeyes and Cyclones. :(

Reed Rothchild
April 9th, 2008, 01:13 PM

They don't have to have reciprocity because of all the rich Chicago kids who bring their parents out of state tuition money to the state.

crunifan
April 9th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Stupid Hawkeyes and Cyclones. :(

As much as we may not like it, it is VERY smart of the Hawkeyes and Cyclones.

Iowa makes boatloads off of Chicago kids and likewise ISU for Minnesota kids.

Thundar
April 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM

This is the best post on this threadxthumbsupx

MplsBison
April 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM
As much as we may not like it, it is VERY smart of the Hawkeyes and Cyclones.

Iowa makes boatloads off of Chicago kids and likewise ISU for Minnesota kids.

All the while forcing poor, rural Iowa farm kids to stay instate since they will not be able to afford outstate tuition at even neighboring state public schools.

Great plan there.

Reed Rothchild
April 9th, 2008, 07:58 PM
All the while forcing poor, rural Iowa farm kids to stay instate since they will not be able to afford outstate tuition at even neighboring state public schools.

Great plan there.

It is great. Keep the talent in state.

BearsCountry
April 10th, 2008, 01:03 AM

Great plan there.

WTH would you want your own kids going outside to other schools? Thats stupid.

MplsBison
April 10th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I would want them to have as many opportunities as possible.

Northern Iowa kids should be able to go to Minnesota without having to pay full outstate tuition.

Western Iowa kids should be able to go to Nebraska without having to pay full outstate tuition.

Eastern Iowa kids should be able to go to Illinois without having to pay full outstate tuition.

Southern Iowa kids should be able to go to Missouri without having to pay full outstate tuition.

Truth be told, any kid from any state should be able to go to any other state's public school and pay the "instate" tuition.

Public schools should only be able to charge one tuition rate for all undergrad students.

Bison77
April 10th, 2008, 07:25 AM
This thread has indeed turned into a train wreck. xmadx