PDA

View Full Version : Samford At 10 Games.. Need 1 Quickly

Lehigh Football Nation
April 6th, 2008, 11:43 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=miles-college-pulls-out-of-samford-footb&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

“I got a call around April Fool’s Day,” Roller said, “and it wasn’t an April Fool’s call. They said they didn’t realize they had to play Tuskegee that date.”

Miles College AD Augustus James said the change was due to a conflict with his Division II Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference scheduling responsibilities. Miles has not officially released its schedule, but Tuskegee’s announcement of its 2008 schedule has the Golden Tigers hosting the Fairfield school on Sept.6.

The cancellation of the Miles-Samford game leaves both teams with 10-game schedules and both ADs said they hope to play 11.

xoopsx

Eaglesrus
April 7th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I wonder if they would like to come to Paulson twice this year?

UAalum72
April 7th, 2008, 08:40 AM
We now know Albany's open, but it doesn't look like Samford wants a road game either.

GaSouthern
April 7th, 2008, 04:19 PM
GSU has recently (in the last 25 years) played the same team twice in a year, and i'm not talking about playoffs.

proasu89
April 7th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I wonder if they would like to come to Paulson twice this year?

xlolx I was wondering if they wanted a home and home this year.

EKU05
April 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't call any OVC schools...

Actually though, we could use a 12th game since it's allowed this year.

Cocky
April 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't call any OVC schools...

Actually though, we could use a 12th game since it's allowed this year.

Why not? Most would want a W.

RabidRabbit
April 7th, 2008, 07:41 PM
How about South Dakota Coyotes? They're looking for games.xwhistlex

TexasTerror
April 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM
How does this happen? A conference should set their dates practically in stone early. If a change needs to be made to benefit the conference (i.e TV, etc), then that's fine...

Someone in the SIAC dropped the ball, taking a page from another conference that seems to have scheduling confusion of their own...

slostang
April 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Call Cal Poly's AD. They are looking for one more game.

Keeper
April 10th, 2008, 07:12 PM
xeekx BREAKING NEWS!

Samford will now play Faulkner Univ on Sept 6th.
(Faulkner's 2nd year of football, 1-9 last year)

appfan2008
April 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
samford looks bad for the socon in general and playing this faulkner thing doesnt exactly help

SideLine Shooter
April 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM
10 losses in 1 year is enough for anybody.xbawlingx

Hansel
April 11th, 2008, 10:10 AM
xeekx BREAKING NEWS!

The Citadel?

paward
April 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM
It is a bit late to add games at this point, isn't it? I mean most schools have their schedule inked pretty much in December.

Jiggs
April 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM
It is a bit late to add games at this point, isn't it? I mean most schools have their schedule inked pretty much in December.

Samford is not adding a game. They are replacing Div-II Miles College, who walked away from a scheduled game. And your right, it is late, therefore nearby Faulkner was the best that could be done.

Go...gate
April 11th, 2008, 12:27 PM
They probably could have played Duquesne.

JaxSinfonian
April 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM

Mabye the only in-state opponent other than Miles upon which the Bulldogs can absolutely count for a victory (and one of few over whom they can hope to have an attendance advantage in Siebert Stadium).

At least if they'd kept alive the series with Jax State they'd have sold some tickets next year.

CID1990
April 11th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Play Chatty twice. I'll bet they would go for it.

SoCon48
April 12th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Samford is not adding a game. They are replacing Div-II Miles College, who walked away from a scheduled game. And your right, it is late, therefore nearby Faulkner was the best that could be done.

Not walking away from.
Actually it was related to their conference giving them a conference game on that date.

Miles College AD Augustus James said the change was due to a conflict with his Division II Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference scheduling responsibilities. Miles has not officially released its schedule, but Tuskegee’s announcement of its 2008 schedule has the Golden Tigers hosting Miles on Sept.6.
Similar things have happened with SoCon teams when new members were added to the league and schedule. Many of us had to make adjusments when the SoCon made the master schedule. The conf sched comes first even if OOC games have been contracted well in advance..

gophoenix
April 12th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Not walking away from.
Actually it was related to their conference giving them a conference game on that date.

Miles College AD Augustus James said the change was due to a conflict with his Division II Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference scheduling responsibilities. Miles has not officially released its schedule, but Tuskegee’s announcement of its 2008 schedule has the Golden Tigers hosting Miles on Sept.6.
Similar things have happened with SoCon teams when new members were added to the league and schedule. Many of us had to make adjusments when the SoCon made the master schedule. The conf sched comes first even if OOC games have been contracted well in advance..

Absolutely right! And before people judge them too harshly for playing Faulkner, they may have had no other choice for playing the game. We can all ask why they didn't play Duquense. But for all we know, they tried and Duquense didn't want to fly the team to Birmingham. Adding games this late seems nearly impossible difficult.

UAalum72
April 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Adding a game this late is still fairly easy; adding a HOME game against a D-I opponent is nearly impossible.

Jiggs
April 12th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Not walking away from.

There were no new members added to Miles conference. Regardless of whether it is Miles' fault or their conference office's fault, there is no reason why they should wait this late to finalize a schedule.xnonox

SoCon48
April 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM
There were no new members added to Miles conference. Regardless of whether it is Miles' fault or their conference office's fault, there is no reason why they should wait this late to finalize a schedule.xnonox

I didn't say one word about a new member added to Miles conference; just gave that as an example of one of the reasons the SoCon schedule had to be adjusted. There are many reasons why the conference office mandatorily adjusts schedules. Often one school requests a change and is approved thus causing some others to be shifted. Many of us have to alter our schedule when one of OOC opponents cancelled and bought out a contracted game. Caused our fellow members some inconvenience as we begged around to get a replacement who happen to have an open slot on antother date. Elon is one who helped us by moving our scheduled date so we could pick up LSU for the 2006 game after one of the directional Louisiana teams renigged on our half of a home and home.

No offense but I do prefer to believe Miles College's press release rather than a fan opinion blaming them "for walking away.".

Patsies are a dime a dozen. Faulkner will suffice just as well as Miles or some of the others that Samford has used before.

You better get used to conference decisions if you're going to survive in the SoCon and hope Samford doesn't take the blame when these things happen to them. Oh, there'll be a honeymoon for the newbie for a year or two, then you'll see.

I do agree no one should cause these late changes withiout prior permission. However, do note the diff between a scheduled game and contracted game.

SoCon48
April 12th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Mabye the only in-state opponent other than Miles upon which the Bulldogs can absolutely count for a victory (and one of few over whom they can hope to have an attendance advantage in Siebert Stadium).

At least if they'd kept alive the series with Jax State they'd have sold some tickets next year.

What you said.xnodx

catamount man
April 12th, 2008, 10:27 AM
NAIA member Faulkner University has been named Samford's new opponent for September 6.

SuperEagle
April 12th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper
BREAKING NEWS!

The Citadel?

I'm not sure how many people got that but that is very funny stuff!!! :)
Kudos

CID1990
April 12th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS!

The Citadel?

Kudos

Your Mom at a 4-H contest is funny too, but nobody puts THAT on here.

walliver
April 14th, 2008, 03:52 PM
If it's named after THAT Faulkner, they'll probably drop football after the first practice.

Tod
April 14th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS!

The Citadel?

Kudos

I didn't, didn't remember the name. But it IS funny! xlolx xlolx xlolx

bobcat7
April 15th, 2008, 08:31 AM
GO...GATE makes a good point. Duquesne would have been a nice fit for both.xcoolx