PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best D?

HensRock
October 2nd, 2005, 08:47 PM
I was just wondering.

Does anyone know who has the best defense in terms of points allowed/game, yards allowed/game, pass efficiency D, that sort of thing?

Hansel
October 2nd, 2005, 08:48 PM
like this?

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?div=5&site=org

89Hen
October 2nd, 2005, 08:51 PM
We all know it's UMass across the board in every category. :p

lucchesicourt
October 2nd, 2005, 08:54 PM
Does anyone kno why Stanfords 2 defensive touchdowns count against the defense who was not on the field at the time of the scores? Seems defensive TD's should not count against the defensive units.

HensRock
October 2nd, 2005, 09:06 PM
I'm throwing you all back.
I'm after a bigger fish.

Hoo-ah
October 2nd, 2005, 09:47 PM
I'm throwing you all back.
I'm after a bigger fish.

So why don't you go "fishing" on the smack board if you don't want serious discussion on who has the best D. :bang:

Chi Panther
October 2nd, 2005, 09:53 PM
The best Defense on paper in the Gateway would probably go to WKU.....that being said.....they were not that impressive at Indie State this past weekend.

HensRock
October 2nd, 2005, 09:54 PM
Maybe a better question would have been is there anyone here who DOESN'T realize that UMass leads the I-AA nation in defensive stats.

Hoo-ah
October 2nd, 2005, 10:00 PM
Maybe a better question would have been is there anyone here who DOESN'T realize that UMass leads the I-AA nation in defensive stats.

Bitter are we...

DotCat
October 2nd, 2005, 11:10 PM
Best D in the SoCon is Western Carolina. To bad we have the worst offense to go along with it.

Coastal89
October 2nd, 2005, 11:20 PM
6 James Madison
13 SCSU
27 Elon
35 App St.
59 Del.St.

Coastal's played against some tough defences this year. No wonder our offense has looked so bad.

Sam Adams
October 2nd, 2005, 11:25 PM
Those statistics can be very misleading. UMass seems to have a good defense thus far but the season is still pretty young and most teams have not played the tougher opponents on their schedules. Having great defensive statistics on October 3rd is nice, but ultimately its meaningless unless you improve each week keep shutting down offenses.

UMass has a lot of room for improvement in order to stay on top in the A10 North, let alone nationally.

DuckDuckGriz
October 2nd, 2005, 11:57 PM
Montana is atop the Big Sky in total defense. What a difference a year makes.

SoCon48
October 3rd, 2005, 06:11 AM
Best D in the SoCon is Western Carolina. To bad we have the worst offense to go along with it.

One of the best in the SoCon.

GoAgs!
October 4th, 2005, 03:32 AM
No love for the Blue Force UC Davis defense? They shut out New Hampshire in the first half...eventually holding them to 17 points. They held PSU to 33 rushing years and two touchdowns. Against Oregon State, PSU racked over 100 yards rushing. AND last but not least the Aggie defense kept Stanford out of the end zone the whole game.

saint0917
October 4th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Why is it UD fans have it in for UMass on the discussion board?

No kidding, You UD guys need to start showing me some love. xsmoochx

HensRock
October 4th, 2005, 07:42 AM
No kidding, You UD guys need to start showing me some love. xsmoochx

We DO love YOU saint. :nod:
It's that ... "other" guy.... :bang:

JMU2004
October 4th, 2005, 07:47 AM
JMU top 5 in offense, top 10 in defense..

Dukes are starting to play NASTY

saint0917
October 4th, 2005, 08:49 AM

Thanks HensRock I love u too. We'll have to work on that "other" guy. :D

umassfan
October 4th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks HensRock I love u too. We'll have to work on that "other" guy. :D

Saint ima come by Sat and say whats up... I met you a couple years ago when I worked the sidelines as a student...

McNeese75
October 4th, 2005, 09:53 AM

:eek: :lmao:

saint0917
October 4th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Saint ima come by Sat and say whats up... I met you a couple years ago when I worked the sidelines as a student...

Sure stop by and say hi. I met Umass74 at the last game. If you are coming to the game bring your rain gear, it's going to rain,rain,rain. :( At least that's what their saying now, by Saturday it will be 80 and sunny.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I'm actually going to throw some love towards Lafayette. They really started playing well late last year and have continued to do so this year. Their offense has been brutal so far this year but their D has been very good.

rcny46
October 4th, 2005, 03:39 PM
No love for the Blue Force UC Davis defense? They shut out New Hampshire in the first half...eventually holding them to 17 points. They held PSU to 33 rushing years and two touchdowns. Against Oregon State, PSU racked over 100 yards rushing. AND last but not least the Aggie defense kept Stanford out of the end zone the whole game.

UC Davis has one of the top three defenses in 1-AA as far as I'm concerned,and should be ranked in the top 20 overall.

charliej
October 4th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Evidently UC Davis was not included in the ranking because they are transitional.(they are listed at the bottom of the page) If they were included,they fall in at #11 or 12 .

AggiePride
October 4th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evidently UC Davis was not included in the ranking because they are transitional.(they are listed at the bottom of the page) If they were included,they fall in at #11 or 12 .

that's against arguably the hardest first 4 game schedule of anyone in 1-AA. Rushing D is at #6. .

Forget the stats, the effort vs. Stanford alone gets my big homer vote.

And we have some key starters returning for the next game.....

charliej
October 4th, 2005, 06:25 PM
But that's against arguably the hardest first 4 game schedule of anyone in 1-AA.

I agree,opening sched was brutal. Good numbers considering who they played.

umassfan
October 4th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Sure stop by and say hi. I met Umass74 at the last game. If you are coming to the game bring your rain gear, it's going to rain,rain,rain. :( At least that's what their saying now, by Saturday it will be 80 and sunny.
Alittle rain doesnt bother me... Plus my seats are under the press box :D

Toppermaniac
October 4th, 2005, 08:17 PM
The best Defense on paper in the Gateway would probably go to WKU.....that being said.....they were not that impressive at Indie State this past weekend.

The Toppers are pretty banged up right now on D. Hopefully we'll get some starters back soon.

cosmo here
October 4th, 2005, 09:18 PM
I'm actually going to throw some love towards Lafayette. They really started playing well late last year and have continued to do so this year. Their offense has been brutal so far this year but their D has been very good.

appreciate the mention, the defense has been doing what it has to with the offense coming together. actually last year, Lafayette led the Patriot in scoring defense against in the league so it was an all year thing (besides princeton and harvard). but this year . . sixth in the nation in scoring, sixth in passing yardage, fourth in qb efficiency . .

Maurice Bennett is a viable Buchanan candidate in the middle of that, with 58 tackles . . he had 14 vs. Georgetown in 40 plays.

OrneryAggie
October 4th, 2005, 09:43 PM
UC Davis has one of the top three defenses in 1-AA as far as I'm concerned,and should be ranked in the top 20 overall.

the 417yds surrendered to UNH had me a little worried but considering what UNH has done since (590 on towson, 547 on dartmouth, 572 on villanova) and what UCD has done since (psu 254, stanford 192, suc st 196) I feel a little better.

Lafalumni29
October 5th, 2005, 01:27 PM
appreciate the mention, the defense has been doing what it has to with the offense coming together. actually last year, Lafayette led the Patriot in scoring defense against in the league so it was an all year thing (besides princeton and harvard). but this year . . sixth in the nation in scoring, sixth in passing yardage, fourth in qb efficiency . .

Maurice Bennett is a viable Buchanan candidate in the middle of that, with 58 tackles . . he had 14 vs. Georgetown in 40 plays.
Besides the Marist game, where they wanted to get the whole team some looks, LC has only given up 3 second half points in the last three games....and that includes the slip up against Princeton!! The love is definitely deserved.