PDA

View Full Version : Fordham releases schedule - URI/Albany settled...

nwFL Griz
April 4th, 2008, 10:19 AM
2008 Fordham schedule (http://fordhamsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040308aab.html)

And the winner of the Sep 6 sweepstakes is....URI!

Congrats to the Rams.

So now who is Albany going to play on Sep 6?

danefan
April 4th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Still looking for September 6th, but it is going to have to be a home game. No way we can go until October 4th without a home game.

Here's what I've got so far:

Northeastern, but probably wouldn't come to us because they are:
@ Ball State on 8/28
off the 6th
@ Georgia Southern 9/13
@ Syracuse 9/20

That puts them at a likely 0-3 and we are not even close to a guaranteed win for them. I don't think they'd care about the stadium issue, as their stadium stinks too, but I just think four road games won't be likely for them especially since they have two FBS games in there.

Villanova may make sense but I don't think they'll come to us. They are at West Virginia on the 30th and then home against Lehigh on the 13th, so a game with us fits, but I doubt they'd come to us.

Illinois State is also a potential. They ended up 4-7 last year and below us in GPI. Its a winnable game for us but will they come to us? They get 10,000+ at their games so I don't know.

Chattanooga also has an opening on the 6th. They finished 2-9 and were also below us in the GPI. They get around 6,000 or 7,000 at their games, so they shouldn't be too dissapointed with the 5,000 or so we'll get at the first home game.

Howard would work also, now that Rutgers dropped them, but only if they moved their game with G-town back to August 30th.

Uncle Buck
April 4th, 2008, 10:29 AM
That sucks, i would have loved to see Hofstra put the Rams back on the schedule for 9/6.

nwFL Griz
April 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Still looking for September 6th, but it is going to have to be a home game. No way we can go until October 4th without a home game.

Here's what I've got so far:

Northeastern, but probably wouldn't come to us because they are:
@ Ball State on 8/28
off the 6th
@ Georgia Southern 9/13
@ Syracuse 9/20

That puts them at a likely 0-3 and we are not even close to a guaranteed win for them. I don't think they'd care about the stadium issue, as their stadium stinks too, but I just think four road games won't be likely for them especially since they have two FBS games in there.

Villanova may make sense but I don't think they'll come to us. They are at West Virginia on the 30th and then home against Lehigh on the 13th, so a game with us fits, but I doubt they'd come to us.

Illinois State is also a potential. They ended up 4-7 last year and below us in GPI. Its a winnable game for us but will they come to us? They get 10,000+ at their games so I don't know.

Chattanooga also has an opening on the 6th. They finished 2-9 and were also below us in the GPI. They get around 6,000 or 7,000 at their games, so they shouldn't be too dissapointed with the 5,000 or so we'll get at the first home game.

Howard would work also, now that Rutgers dropped them, but only if they moved their game with G-town back to August 30th.

I think NE is out because they have 12 games scheduled.

Agree about Nova, game fits, but that would give them 7 away, 5 home.

Unfortunately, the same holds true for Ill St. Game fits, but would give them 7 away, 5 home. Maybe they would accept that though?

Chattanooga doesn't have an opening on the 6th, they play host Cumberland.

Maybe Howard...if the G'Town game moves back.

Here are some more suggestions:
Davidson
Dayton
Sam Houston St
Alabama A&M
Miss. Valley St

I have not researched all the details of the schools listed, just the ones that have an opening on the 6th and don't have 12 games scheduled.

UNHWildCats
April 4th, 2008, 10:38 AM
speaking of Hostra perhaps they could be flexable in moving the Albany game to the 6th if nescesary (there off the 6th) giving Albany two dates to work with trying to find a game.

Also maybe Delaware can move the Albany game to the 6th, Umass move their Albany game to the 27th and then Fordham and Albany can play the 30th....

Uncle Buck
April 4th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I'm sure HU wouldn't mind since there has been speculation about a 12th game scheduled for 10/11. This would at least move the bye week back for them, even if it is only for a week.

nwFL Griz
April 4th, 2008, 10:41 AM
speaking of Hostra perhaps they could be flexable in moving the Albany game to the 6th if nescesary (there off the 6th) giving Albany two dates to work with trying to find a game.

Also maybe Delaware can move the Albany game to the 6th, Umass move their Albany game to the 27th and then Fordham and Albany can play the 30th....

That's actually a pretty good solution. Except for UMass, that would make them have to play 12 straight, I don't think they would be cool with that.

danefan
April 4th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Davidson - Not a bad choice. Any easy W ;) and a DI win.
Dayton - Also a good choice, but the Flyers always refused to come to Albany. New head coach at Dayton may change thinsg.

Sam Houston St
Alabama A&M
Miss. Valley St

Would any of these teams be willing to travel to Albany? We can't really pay a big guarantee. Its a pretty long trip for them.

nwFL Griz
April 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Davidson - Not a bad choice. Any easy W ;) and a DI win.
Dayton - Also a good choice, but the Flyers always refused to come to Albany. New head coach at Dayton may change thinsg.

Sam Houston St
Alabama A&M
Miss. Valley St

Would any of these teams be willing to travel to Albany? We can't really pay a big guarantee. Its a pretty long trip for them.

Who knows? Sam Houston might, a road game at Albany (with a return guarantee) might work for them. That would give them 6 road/6 home, with one being an FBS, so financials might be ok there. Maybe TexasTerror can weigh in here?

I don't know about the SWAC schools and their policies for travelling. Maybe one of their knowledgeable posters will help us here.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 4th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Can Albany do something like Central CT is with North Carolina Central (IIRC)? That is, play the game at a municipal stadium with a greater capacity. CCSU will play that game at New Britain's Willow Brook Stadium rather than at their own Arute Field. In theory it will get a better gate. Could that type of plan allow Albany to offer a little more of a guarantee an entice a team from another region?

UAalum72
April 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Can Albany do something like Central CT is with North Carolina Central (IIRC)? That is, play the game at a municipal stadium with a greater capacity. CCSU will play that game at New Britain's Willow Brook Stadium rather than at their own Arute Field. In theory it will get a better gate. Could that type of plan allow Albany to offer a little more of a guarantee an entice a team from another region?
There isn't a football field with a capacity over 6,000 within a hundred miles of Albany - Colgate, UMass, and Army are closest

danefan
April 4th, 2008, 11:07 AM
There isn't a football field with a capacity over 6,000 within a hundred miles of Albany - Colgate, UMass, and Army are closest

Which doesn't help our need for a home game.

And is yet another reason to hold our breath for the state budget announcement today......xprayx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 4th, 2008, 11:58 AM

That's too bad. Hartford has a POS Dillon Stadium where they held minor league football games 30+ years ago and still play HS Football. IIRC, the capacity is 10K+ and nearby New Britain has Willow Brook at 8K+. Many of the CT cities had stadiums (Muzzy in Bristol, Palmer in Middletown, Brain Cramp on the one in Waterbury, etc.) so I thought Albany might have something similar.

Tangent: Had some great Saturday nights going to those old Hartford Charter Oaks and Hartford Knights games!! Some great games with Pottstown (PA), Wheeling (WV), etc.

Ruler
April 4th, 2008, 01:23 PM
What about Bleeker Stadium? Played Ithaca College there years ago on TV and knocked them off 9-6.

danefan
April 4th, 2008, 01:25 PM
What about Bleeker Stadium? Played Ithaca College there years ago on TV and knocked them off 9-6.

Place is a $h!t hole. they took down most of the stands because they were unsafe.

Mayor Jennings has been trying for years to get it rebuilt but no one sees the need. He tried to get UA to plan their stadium there too, but it's not the greatest areas in Albany anymore.

danefan
April 4th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Bleeker is a $h!t hole. They took down a bunch of the stands becaue they were unsafe and kids were getting injured. Jennings has been trying to get it upgraded but no one is biting. he wanted UA to build the stadium there instead, but its in such a crappy area and there is no parking.

DetroitFlyer
April 4th, 2008, 01:53 PM
From Fordham's schedule "press release":

In week two, the Rams make their first and longest road trip of the year, venturing out to Dayton, Ohio, to face the University of Dayton Flyers on September 15th. This will mark the longest road trip to a home team's field for a Fordham football team since the 1989 squad traveled to Davidson College (Fordham played Holy Cross in Bermuda in 1995 and in Ireland in 1991). This will be the third meeting between the Rams and the Flyers with Fordham leading the all-time series, 2-1.

Well, this is completely incorrect. The game with Dayton in 2008 will be the 4th all time meeting! Dayton all time is now 3-0 against Fordham. Yep, that's right, Fordham has NEVER defeated Dayton.

Dayton vs Fordham (NY)

Back

Record: 3-0-0

No W/L Date PF Location PA Notes
1 W 10-21-1978 19 New York, NY 10
2 W 10-20-1979 59 Dayton, OH 11
3 W 09-22-2007 31 New York, NY 24

109 Totals 45

I'm certain some knowledgable Fordham fan has already contacted the Athletic Department to correct the error.... LOL!

danefan
April 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Flyer get on the horn with your AD and schedule a game at Albany on the 6th!

A little rematch at our place this year.

DetroitFlyer
April 4th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Man, I would be all for an away game at Albany. Dayton has not released a schedule yet, but I hear that we were going to play 12 games, ( 8 conference and 4 OOC ). The OOC games that are "confirmed" are hosting Fordham, visiting Duquesne, and "visiting" Division II Central State at Welcome Stadium.... So that leaves one more game.... I have assumed that it would be Robert Morris traveling to Dayton.... It might be a tough sell to get UD to give up a home game with Robert Morris for an away game at Albany.... Now, if we could only play 13 games....

danefan
April 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Give up that Central State game. Is that an away game for you guys at Welcome? Some sort of weird home-and-home?

DetroitFlyer
April 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Give up that Central State game. Is that an away game for you guys at Welcome? Some sort of weird home-and-home?

Yeah, we will be the "visiting" team for the "Dayton Classic". Unfortunately, we signed a contract for a 4 or 5 game series with CSU.... I have been against this series from the start, but even I have to acknowledge that this game was one of our best attended in years, ( 6000+ ). CSU has a very loyal fan base, and I would not be surprised to see the "Classic" game draw over 7K this year.... Probably not something the Flyers and CSU are going to be willing to give up....

Oddly enough, YSU is also playing CSU this year.... It is a crying shame that we cannot both dump CSU and play each other.... I think UD insists on a home/home, while YSU wants to play us only in their stadium.... Bummer!

OLPOP
April 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM
DF-- All Fordham football press releases refer to D1 history. The games you refer to in the 70s were D111.

DetroitFlyer
April 4th, 2008, 02:46 PM
DF-- All Fordham football press releases refer to D1 history. The games you refer to in the 70s were D111.

Well then, all time Division I, Dayton is 1-0. Bottom line is Fordham has never beaten Dayton in any division....

dgreco
April 4th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I wish they could add Bryant to the list some how.