PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Delaware fans/Joe Flacco supporters

WIU02
April 2nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Hi guys,

I know this isn't completely college related, but I am a die hard Chicago Bears fan who is in favor of drafting Flacco with one of our 2nd round picks if he is available.

Everytime another Flacco supporter or I bring up that we think he could make a very good NFL QB, we get jumped all over on the Bears message board.

The argument is always one of the three things: 1) He played in a spread offense, from the shotgun which will hinder his ability to play in an NFL, under center offense. His footwork will be poor, and thus his receiver reading abilities will lack quick decision making and will result in forced throws.

2) He transferred down from Pitt, which apparently means he can't compete at the highest level.

3) He had Omar Cuff, which made him 'second fiddle' on the offense and went 5-6 as a starter with Cuff out of the lineup.

Basically, I would estimate 80% of Bears fans think that he is all hype because of his height and arm strength.

Does anyone, especially those who attend UD games regularly, have any good facts/opinions to refute all the haters? I would appreciate it.

DetroitFlyer
April 2nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
I just cannot resist....

I have also seen the Bears fans debate Josh Johnson from San Diego. Do yourself a favor and jump on the JJ bandwagon and off of the JF bandwagon and your problem will be solved!:D

The truth is either QB would be a great addition to the Bears or any NFL team!

By the way, why are you so high on Flacco and what do you think of Johnson?

WIU02
April 2nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Honestly, I haven't seen enough of JJ to claim I'm not speaking out of my a$$. I had never heard of him prior to the end of the '07 season.

I had heard of Flacco long before the '07 season, and got a chance to see him play on TV multiple times.

Eight Legger
April 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
As long as the Bears don't schedule Richmond or App State, I think he'd win some games for you guys :D

RadMann
April 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
I've seen all three Delaware alumni play at UD who later went on to start as NFL QBs and Flacco looks as though he will be the next one. He definitely has all of the ingredients to be a very strong NFL QB as I see it with his arm strength, passing accuracy and despite what you might think for a tall guy, decent pocket speed to escape the rush. He is the best pure passer of the four. I don't think I'll ever see a better player at QB at Delaware though than my classmate from '87. He was the man.

It will be interesting to see how Flacco pans out as a pro.

YoUDeeMan
April 2nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Plenty of info on Flacco over in the "FCS and the Pros" threads. xnodx xthumbsupx

USDFAN_55
April 3rd, 2008, 12:23 AM
Hi guys,

I know this isn't completely college related, but I am a die hard Chicago Bears fan who is in favor of drafting Flacco with one of our 2nd round picks if he is available.

Everytime another Flacco supporter or I bring up that we think he could make a very good NFL QB, we get jumped all over on the Bears message board.

The argument is always one of the three things: 1) He played in a spread offense, from the shotgun which will hinder his ability to play in an NFL, under center offense. His footwork will be poor, and thus his receiver reading abilities will lack quick decision making and will result in forced throws.

2) He transferred down from Pitt, which apparently means he can't compete at the highest level.

3) He had Omar Cuff, which made him 'second fiddle' on the offense and went 5-6 as a starter with Cuff out of the lineup.

Basically, I would estimate 80% of Bears fans think that he is all hype because of his height and arm strength.

Does anyone, especially those who attend UD games regularly, have any good facts/opinions to refute all the haters? I would appreciate it.

If you are so high on Flacco, wh do you need someone else's opinion? You've been a big fan long before the '07 season?xeyebrowx Big fans usually have a reason for being a big fan. Is you opinion based of of what the media has told you? Or have you actually seen him play? If you've seen him play, you should be able to support your opinionxthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
April 3rd, 2008, 04:29 AM
I've seen both Delaware alumni play at UD who later went on to start as NFL QBs.

Corrected.. brunner doesn't count

henfan
April 3rd, 2008, 08:05 AM
Wonder how many of the Bears fans who such experts on #5 have actually witnessed with their own eyes Flacco dropping back into the pocket and throwing even a single pass?

There's a reason Flacco is so highly regarded by NFL scouts and others who have actually seen him play with any regularity. He's huge and has a cannon, sure. But he's also incredibly smart, confident, hard-working and quick to learn.

None of the current crop of college QBs have the ability to come in and be immediately effective in the NFL. Flacco's got all the tools & demeanor to do it in fairly short order, however. That's my uninformed opinion but it also happens to be the opinion of many who get paid to make those evaluations. I trust their opinions more than those of Bob Swerski & Todd O'Conner.

89Hen
April 3rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
There's a reason Flacco is so highly regarded by NFL scouts and others who have actually seen him play with any regularity. He's huge and has a cannon, sure. But he's also incredibly smart, confident, hard-working and quick to learn.
I'm not saying he's the best QB I've ever seen, but I don't ever recall thinking the same way about other QB's when I watch them in action... that when he throws the ball, it looks like he's throwing a baseball to the receivers. It arrives on a rope, right to them. The defenders don't have a prayer of touching the ball most of the time. I think sometimes he did try to insert some balls he shouldn't have, but that's a function of being a young QB. xtwocentsx

Retro
April 3rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
The one thing you have to remember about most NFL fans is that most are just that... NFL FANS! They probably follow the top tier of FBS football at best and whatever they see on ESPN, thus have little knowledge of college prospects not from BCS schools..

Plus, outside of Philadelphia and New York, they're one of the few cities fans that will throw the QB that got them to the Super Bowl under the bus as soon as he burps.

DetroitFlyer
April 3rd, 2008, 11:20 AM
http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/1/917473/ShowThread.aspx

Bears fans discuss Josh Johnson, Kevin Hoyng, and I think maybe even a mention of Joe Flacco....

DetroitFlyer
April 3rd, 2008, 11:47 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216672

And just for fun, here is a thread from some Miami Dolphins fans....

One thing is certain when reading these threads, football fans in general have no clue when it comes to FCS....