PDA

View Full Version : SLC -- Giving Texas St-San Marcos the Boot

TexasTerror
April 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
I hope the SLC realizes that they need to cut their ties with Texas State - San Marcos. The ADs and Presidents have to acknowledge that Texas State - San Marcos has made it clear time and time again that they are heading to FBS and in doing so have nullified their membership in the conference.

Per the SLC by-laws...if I am reading this correct, Texas State - San Marcos by publicly announcing it's intentions to withdraw (yes, going to FBS means you are withdrawing) means that they are down to two full academic years.

Did this countdown begin this year with 2007-2008? Or does it begin with 2008-2009? A little confused on the wording as the 'announcement' came in fall 2007. I'd hope we could remove them after 2008-2009. Can anyone confirm?

Might as well let them enjoy time as an independent before they can make the move. Perhaps it could help them establish the necessary relationships in making themselves even more attractive for the move. ;)

Only problem is that we have no Div I schools that have football to add until the moratorium is lifted. No problem...conference can do with 11 teams for all sports for a year or two unless we want to add a non-football member (i.e Houston Baptist).

SLC By-Laws...

3.04 Withdrawal. Each member reserves the right to withdraw from the Conference by written notice provided to the commissioner. In addition, an institution’s public announcement of its intent to withdraw or public acceptance of an invitation of membership in another conference shall be considered notice by the member institution to the Conference of its intent to terminate its membership. [8/02]

3.04.01 Effective Date. A withdrawing institution shall be required to participate fully in regular season competition for two (2) full academic years following the provision of notice as defined in 3.04 before the withdrawal shall become effective. If notification of intent to withdraw is provided more than two (2) full academic years in advance of its intended
effective date, the remaining Conference members retain the sole authority to determine the actual effective date of the institution’s withdrawal and the rights and privileges of membership that will be extended prior to withdrawal. In this instance, the withdrawal date
shall be determined by a majority vote of the Conference’s remaining members in accordance with applicable Conference bylaws. All membership changes will become effective on June 30. Any member that fails to fulfill the timely notice provision indicated above will be assessed a financial penalty of $250,000.
---------------
An example of how clear the Texas State University - San Marcos athletic department has made it...

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobdetail.cfm?job=2853467

Texas State University-San Marcos invites applications for the position of Associate Director of Athletics. This position is a senior-level department leader and reports to the Director of Athletics. This position is responsible for: Providing leadership, administrative support, and supervision to persons in the fundraising areas of the organizational chart, which include Group Sales and Ticket Operations; generating department revenue through major gifts and sales of suites in the football stadium and baseball/softball complex; meeting annual revenue goals in sales of suites and major gifts; coordinating all major fundraising campaigns and special projects with the Athletic Director, Associate Director of Athletics – External and Assistant Director of Athletics – Development and University Advancement; serving as liaison and provide leadership for the statewide fundraising committee; assisting Director of Sales with all FBS ticket sales efforts; coordinating with the Assistant Director of Athletics – Development special fundraising events that are sponsored by the Department of Athletics; attending athletic contests and other events, as required by the Director of Athletics; evaluating performance of personnel under direct reporting line and assist in evaluation in all department personnel; dvaluating income and expense budget reports in the fundraising areas to ensure that the department is meeting revenue projections and operating within budget; attending university and community functions to help create good will and help promote the university and department of athletics; traveling extensively throughout the state to solicit major gifts from donors; working in partnership with all staff in the University Advancement Division during the planning and execution of all fundraising responsibilities; performing other duties as assigned by Director of Athletics.

And then of course, there was the whole "holding hands" bit when Trauth and Teis told the Associated Student Government that they were all in this together to make move to FBS...

nwFL Griz
April 2nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
As I read it, it sounds like it's up to the remaining member institutions to determine the withdrawal date, per 3.04.01, sentences two and three. (Since they intend to move to FBS once the moratorium is lifted).

I personally don't think it would be wise for the conference to do so, but I don't know the conference like you do, so I'll defer.

TexasTerror
April 2nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
I personally don't think it would be wise for the conference to do so, but I don't know the conference like you do, so I'll defer.

Not sure how the conference looks at it either. From what I can get a good feel of, they've pushed this under the rug...

I do believe there are some people in the SLC who have very strong feelings about the FCS brand of football like the SLC Commish (he's one of the stronger supporters of the name change) and the folks at McNeese (they had a choice earlier and have stuck to it despite their big rivals like ULL moving on and out).

McTailGator
April 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Only problem is that we have no Div I schools that have football to add until the moratorium is lifted..

Why is it so important that we add another team right away?

Lamar is coming soon, and so is TAM-CC...

BEAR
April 2nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
I personally think Delta State should fit in this conference nicely. $$ is the issue of course, but speaking sportswise, Delta is a good fit. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
April 2nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Why is it so important that we add another team right away? Lamar is coming soon, and so is TAM-CC...

We don't have to add one right away...12 is more ideal for the other sports, not necessarily football, due to travel partners and such for the sports that this works great in.

The question is, which member of the media will push this subject and put it even more in the public eye? Which AD will really make a case of things and push it behind closed doors?

RabidRabbit
April 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
We don't have to add one right away...12 is more ideal for the other sports, not necessarily football, due to travel partners and such for the sports that this works great in.

The question is, which member of the media will push this subject and put it even more in the public eye? Which AD will really make a case of things and push it behind closed doors?

xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Know where to find two panting, eager schools looking for a conference to call home?

At least one of them is a "South"land team. xwhistlex xwhistlex

TexasTerror
April 2nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Know where to find two panting, eager schools looking for a conference to call home?

Not a chance we add any of the Dakotas... ;)

Texas State - San Marcos may be able to find a temporary home in the GWFC. They like playing Cal Poly and have had a series with Southern Utah. Didn't them and UC-Davis have something back in the Div II days? They'd be an ideal fit...let's make it happen!

SLC -- boot the Bobcats to the GWFC! Help two FCS problems with one throw of the stone and perhaps GWFC can find another team or two behind the time the Bobcats leave their nest...

TXST_CAT
April 3rd, 2008, 12:33 AM
I guess you can throw UTSA, LAMAR and your beloved SAM on that list since all three schools have in one way or fashion mentioned intentions to move up to FBS. You yourself have said this much. I guess the SLC will just be SOL by your logic. xnonox xpeacex

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
I guess you can throw UTSA, LAMAR and your beloved SAM on that list since all three schools have in one way or fashion mentioned intentions to move up to FBS. You yourself have said this much. I guess the SLC will just be SOL by your logic. xnonox xpeacex

None of the schools outside of Texas State - San Marcos have officially announced a move...your 'sliver on the river' has announced it at meetings and in job postings. If that's not official, not sure what is...

Lamar and UTSA do not have football at this point, so announcing such a move is rather shrewed, especially since neither has a conference to hop into.

Yes, UTSA has announced they would make a move to go FBS, but they have not even figured out a timeline to start up football and there's no telling when they actually will. Texas State - San Marcos is already halfway out the door and have set parameters for a move up...

SHSU has not announced a move and like other schools, has only had discussions about it with the power-brokers, though no plans for an athletic fee increase or more serious discussion has taken place...

Your institution screwed up by announcing their intentions of leaving the conference/FCS for FBS. In doing so, you have activated the by-laws...

It's a matter of the conference doing what's right for itself and having the chutzpah to make the necessary move...xreadx

bobcatalum05
April 3rd, 2008, 08:15 AM
You are a piece of work. I think that you are more interested in trying to put the screws to Texas State than trying to make SHSU a better University.

In my opinion you have more hate for TXST than you have love for SHSU.

Here is the real problem, TXST > SHSU and you can stand it.

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Bobcatalum05,

If it were any other institution, I would be doing the same thing. There's obviously an important person in the conference who does not care about it, so no one else is making a big deal of it.

And SHSU is just as good, if not better than our co-horts in San Marcos. We were in a hole, but we're climbing out and catching up (if not passing you) pretty quickly thanks to our administration.

Despite all the $$$, it does not seem like athletic success has been coming your way in any of the three major sports (FB, MBB and Base), which will be key in getting you to the C-USA, WAC or whomever else you'd like to soil your britches...

MaximumBobcat
April 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Sort of off topic: How'd you get to be so obsessed with Texas State anyways TT?

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Sort of off topic: How'd you get to be so obsessed with Texas State anyways TT?

Not obsessed with "Texas State"...not sure who that is. :D

There's quite a bit of bad blood there, goes back several years -- possibly, before your time in San Marcos. I've not been a fan of quite a few individuals who have been heavily involved in the name change and the push to FBS...in addition to their actions. xnonox

MaximumBobcat
April 3rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
There's quite a bit of bad blood there, goes back several years -- possibly, before your time in San Marcos. I've not been a fan of quite a few individuals who have been heavily involved in the name change and the push to FBS...in addition to their actions. xnonox

Well, at least you admit it.

The next step is getting help. :D xpeacex

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
The next step is getting help. :D xpeacex

Only help we need is letting Texas State - San Marcos out the door so they can flourish on their own two legs without the Southland (which they can not seem to win in anyways) holding them down...

MaximumBobcat
April 3rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
Only help we need is letting Texas State - San Marcos out the door so they can flourish on their own two legs without the Southland (which they can not seem to win in anyways) holding them down...

Puh-leez. It's only been two seasons since we were in the semi Finals of the FCS playoffs, we were also just in the first round of the NCAA volleyball playoffs, we just won the Southland Conference Regular Season WBB Championship and we went to the NIT where we advanced to the 2nd round, our men's basketball team is showing drastic improvement (as you know since we split the series with you), our softball team is nationally ranked in Division I, and according to HpCat's stats, our baseball team just won our TENTH consecutive series against SHSU. Not too bad really.

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Puh-leez. It's only been two seasons since we were in the semi Finals of the FCS playoffs, we were also just in the first round of the NCAA volleyball playoffs, we just won the Southland Conference Regular Season WBB Championship and we went to the NIT where we advanced to the 2nd round, our men's basketball team is showing drastic improvement (as you know since we split the series with you), and according to HpCat's stats, our baseball team just won our TENTH consecutive series against SHSU. Not too bad really.

The revenue sports...

Men's basketball -- no SLC titles in the last five years. You are drastically improving, but what have you done for us lately? Jeff Foster is not still a SWT player...if you want to compare to SHSU, you split with the Kats, but we have been very consistent winners for a low-major team, which I am told means a lot

Men's Baseball -- when was your last NCAA appearance? SHSU went last year and yes, you continue to beat us in series, but when was your last NCAA appearance?

Men's Football -- A winning season for every four, five losing seasons? One playoff appearance led by players brought in by the guy who got the boot for NCAA violations?

The Bobcats outspend the SLC in some cases by twice as much, yet fail to produce in the three aforementioned sports on a consistent basis. Considering they are "too big" for the SLC and not competing in their league (because all of our schools are nothing to yours), you would think the Bobcats would have had much more success.

Cha-ching does not equal bling-bling...

Sorry, Max -- you sure as heck have not and everyone knows that. You have announced an FBS move and now the SLC should do what's right and that is KICK SAN MARCOS OUT. The discussions are happening, it's a "hot button issue" and if some of the fans, admins and such get their way, you guys will get a chance to "flourish" as an NCAA Division I Independent. I have a feeling that will not help your attempts to move into an FBS conference...xwhistlex

MaximumBobcat
April 3rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
The revenue sports...

Men's basketball -- no SLC titles in the last five years. You are drastically improving, but what have you done for us lately? Jeff Foster is not still a SWT player...if you want to compare to SHSU, you split with the Kats, but we have been very consistent winners for a low-major team, which I am told means a lot

Men's Baseball -- when was your last NCAA appearance? SHSU went last year and yes, you continue to beat us in series, but when was your last NCAA appearance?

Men's Football -- A winning season for every four, five losing seasons? One playoff appearance led by players brought in by the guy who got the boot for NCAA violations?

The Bobcats outspend the SLC in some cases by twice as much, yet fail to produce in the three aforementioned sports on a consistent basis. Considering they are "too big" for the SLC and not competing in their league (because all of our schools are nothing to yours), you would think the Bobcats would have had much more success.

Sorry, Max -- you sure as heck have not and everyone knows that. You have announced an FBS move and now the SLC should do what's right and that is KICK SAN MARCOS OUT. The discussions are happening, it's a "hot button issue" and if some of the fans, admins and such get their way, you guys will get a chance to "flourish" as an NCAA Division I Independent. I have a feeling that will not help your attempts to move into an FBS conference...xwhistlex

Men's Basketball - We have won a SLC Conference Championship twice. Once in 1997 and once in 1999. SHSU has only won the CC twice also. 2000 and 2003, so while you have more recent regular season success, it's the same amount of success we've had in the past. You're right about one thing though, no titles in the past 5 years for either TxSt OR SHSU. I'm not sure, but I think TxSt has been to march madness twice. Hasn't SHSU only gone once?

Men's baseball - NCAA appearance in 2000. The Bobcats are almost always in contention for the CC and in the conference tournament. You commend yourself for being a consistently winning team in basketball, yet you don't say anything about how the Cats are consistently one of the best baseball teams. What gives?

Football - Yes, we know we need to work on this. A new culture has been started at TxSt in the past few years and we are starting to actually care about our football team! Hopefully mediocrity will no longer be accepted.

Softball - Back to back CC's in 2001 and 2002 with NCAA appearances in 99 and 01. We are also currently ranked #31 in the nation in all of Division I.

WBB - I can understand why you don't want to talk about this one TT, given how the Lady Kats did this year. Well, on the opposite end of the spectrum, the Lady Bobcats won the regular season championship, got the autobid to the NIT, and actually won their first round game. Very nice.

Volleyball - TxSt just went to another NCAA play off appearance after winning the SLC tournament.

TxSt is not known as a place for super fantastic athletics, I will give you that. However, we are competitive and if you can't see that, then I guess your obsession and disdain for TxSt has just blinded your judgment a little too much.

MaximumBobcat
April 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
The revenue sports...

Men's Basketball - We have won a SLC Conference Championship twice. Once in 1997 and once in 1999. SHSU has only won the CC twice also. 2000 and 2003, so while you have more recent regular season success, it's the same amount of success we've had in the past. Actually, that might be up to interpretation. I'm not sure, but I think TxSt has been to march madness twice. Hasn't SHSU only gone once?

Men's baseball - NCAA appearance in 2000. The Bobcats are almost always in contention for the CC and in the conference tournament. You commend yourself for being a consistently winning team in basketball, yet you don't say anything about how the Cats are consistently one of the best baseball teams.

Football - Yes, we know we need to work on this. A new culture has been started at TxSt in the past few years and we are starting to actually care about our football team! Hopefully mediocrity will no longer be accepted.

Softball - Back to back CC's in 2001 and 2002 with NCAA aperances in 99 and 01. We are also currently ranked #31 in the nation in all of Division I.

WBB - I can understand why you don't want to talk about this one TT, given how the Lady Kats did this year. Well, on the opposite end of the spectrum, the Lady Bobcats won the regular season championship, got the autobid to the NIT, and actually won their first round game. Very nice.

Volleyball - TxSt just went to another NCAA play off appearance after winning the SLC tournament.

TxSt is not known as a place for super fantastic athletics, I will give you that. However, we are competitive and if you can't see that, then I guess your obsession and disdain for TxSt has just blinded your judgment a little too much.

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Why does softball, WBB and volleyball matter...? I'm a big proponent of all of them and follow my team at SHSU in each of those sports, but ultimately, when it comes to what sports matter when you are looking for another conference, it's baseball, men's basketball and football.

As you noted above, you have not appeared since 1999 in men's basketball, 2000 in baseball and you have a rather tarnished visit to the 2005 playoffs in football. If those sports are the most important and you have more money than every school in the SLC to spend, why can you not maintain any success in any of them?

I am not blinded -- you guys have really done nothing in your three major sports sans a questionable run to the 2005 semifinals, since the turn of the century...

Competitive yes, significant...the answer is and will be no. This is the Southland Conference and if you can not set the conference on fire, not sure what to make of your ability to do any damage in a "better" conference when you will actually compete against schools that have deeper pockets than your own...

And why are we discussing the merits (or lack their of) with your program? Seems that's all fans want to do when anything is questioned regarding their program...

The point is the Bobcats are on the verge of being kicked out of the conference before the moratorium is over per Southland Conference rules. That can not be good for your athletic department, especially if the SLC bumps up the date (which is allowed per the by-laws), or at the very least, actually follows their own rules.

MaximumBobcat
April 3rd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Keep trying to spin things TT. At the very least, you're always good for a laugh.

Oh, and thanks for the rep points everybody, hope you got a good laugh out of reading this thread too. xlolx

BEAR
April 3rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Hey TT,

UCA is going to the SUNBELT......

(Picturing TT's head exploding!)xlolx

(Hey, I'm trying to divert another Texas State massacre..) :D xlolx xlolx

BEAR
April 3rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Oh no RabidRabbit...we're just trying to get a foothold in the SLC..we don't need any more losses in the Southland..xthumbsupx xlolx

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2008, 05:55 PM
Everyone enjoy the laughs...

I have from a very good source information that the SLC is in discussion regarding this subject matter. Not sure what will happen as it relates to it (may be important enough that Billy Tubbs gets involved -- we'll see), but this is not just the TT blowing smoke...

The "powers that be" are very aware of what's written in the SLC by-laws.

Most of the folks at the round table were even around when the rules regarding this were put into place and are very aware of why it was done so...

Mr. Tiger
April 3rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
I personally think Delta State should fit in this conference nicely. $$ is the issue of course, but speaking sportswise, Delta is a good fit. xthumbsupx

Delta State would be a great fit. They have excellent football, basketball and baseball programs. But school officials did a study a few years back that convinced them to remain in D2.

TXST_CAT
April 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Everyone enjoy the laughs...

I have from a very good source information that the SLC is in discussion regarding this subject matter. Not sure what will happen as it relates to it (may be important enough that Billy Tubbs gets involved -- we'll see), but this is not just the TT blowing smoke...

The "powers that be" are very aware of what's written in the SLC by-laws.

Most of the folks at the round table were even around when the rules regarding this were put into place and are very aware of why it was done so...

TT I don't care who you are, what you do, who you know. All I know is you are a sad person who some how thinks you will have a play in TXST's future. Despite your efforts, TXST is still going to continue to grow as one of the three premier Universities In TEXAS. That's right we consider ourselves one of the TOP three. Maybe not in Athletics yet but in academics were are moving leaps and bounds past other Universities. Try as you may to tarnish our name but the FACT is we are TEXAS STATE and people are taking notice!

For those who would like to know what's realy going on at TXST check out our Website.

Points of Pride

http://www.txstate.edu/about/25points.html

Campus Master Plan

http://www.vpfss.txstate.edu/cmp/

Major Construction

http://www.fss.txstate.edu/planning/fac_pln/construction.html

xreadx

TexasTerror
April 4th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I'm not questioning Texas State - San Marcos and their move to improve their university. You guys have improved your university, as have we over the last few years...while I doubt you will be one of the three premier universities in Texas, your institution has some great goals to attain...

This is all about your standing in the Southland Conference...continue on with your "I Love Texas State - San Marcos" campaign, but this has nothing to do with you academically, this is all about collegiate athletics and the "activation" of the by-laws which were set forth when your program announced a move to FBS...

MaximumBobcat
April 4th, 2008, 09:42 PM
The way I see it, those rules were written for a purpose. That purpose is to protect the SLC. Every rule that was written does not have to be enforced. How would Texas State continuing to be in the SLC until the move hurt the SLC? I'm sure you have a list of things TT, so lay it on us.

Try to keep it more on the realistic and less hypothetical side also please.

TexasTerror
April 4th, 2008, 09:55 PM
The way I see it, those rules were written for a purpose. That purpose is to protect the SLC. Every rule that was written does not have to be enforced. How would Texas State continuing to be in the SLC until the move hurt the SLC? I'm sure you have a list of things TT, so lay it on us.

Why have by-laws, if you are not going to follow them? I'm not going to jump off the deep end and make a comparison to the Constitution, by why have rules if you are not going to follow them?

I'm very aware of why the rule is in there and if the SLC dropped Texas State - San Marcos, it would hurt your institution far more than it would hurt the SLC or any of it's member institutions.

It's a shame the students made a large mistake by forcing the issue. Your institution is not ready for it (and this notion has been confirmed to me by at least one former member of your athletic administrative staff) and I believe as much as well...

You guys are putting yourselves in a bad spot. The SLC could put you in a worse spot if they have the chutzpah to follow their by-laws. Time to man up, Southland and lay the boot to the backside of San Marcos...

So long, San Marcos...xviolinx

MaximumBobcat
April 4th, 2008, 09:57 PM
You have rules to protect people and things. NOT to try to hurt or damage institutions or persons just because "it's the rules".
Were you ever one of those mean Hallway monitors in school that always hassled everybody?

"It's the rules!" xrolleyesx

TXST_CAT
April 5th, 2008, 12:52 AM
You have rules to protect people and things. NOT to try to hurt or damage institutions or persons just because "it's the rules".
Were you ever one of those mean Hallway monitors in school that always hassled everybody?

"It's the rules!" xrolleyesx

I WAS THINKING THE EXACT SAME THING EXCEPT REPLACE MEAN WITH LAME!!

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Besides I wouldn't see the SLC kicking anyone out unless we officially Applied for a move up. Remember we announced our intentions many years ago (applied even I think) and UTSA made the same announcement we did and did their study before we did. Lamar passed a student fee to bring back football and made their intentions clear as well. So TXST just did what it had to do to protect its athletic program. TT just has a thing out for TXST because of the name change. He was afraid Sam Houston was going to become TXST-Executionville. Which is why he keeps referring to us as SAN MARCOS. It was his contacts that added SAN MARCOS to the name Texas State (I THINK). It doesn't matter, as long as no other University adopts the Texas State name we are TEXAS STATE!!
xbowx xbowx xbowx

By the way we are the third most applied to University in Texas and have one of the toughest requirements to get accepted. TXST and A&M are not far apart when it comes to academic requirements. xreadx xeyebrowx

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Besides I wouldn't see the SLC kicking anyone out unless we officially Applied for a move up. Remember we announced our intentions many years ago (applied even I think) and UTSA made the same announcement we did and did their study before we did.

If you knew a thing or two about SLC history -- the rule that we are now discussing was put into place thanks to your announcement a few years ago. You can ask anyone in the SLC, then-Southwest Texas was the guilty party that led the SLC to put this rule in during the 2002 meetings...

The difference between you, Lamar and UTSA is that you have actually announced you are moving up -- Teis/Trauth "holding hands schpiel" and then an official job announcement from your school. Obviously, the moratorium is in the way of that occurring for the time being, but your school has said it will move up.

Per the by-law..."In addition, an institution’s public announcement of its intent to withdraw or public acceptance of an invitation of membership in another conference shall be considered notice by the member institution to the Conference of its intent to terminate its membership. [8/02]"

TT just has a thing out for TXST because of the name change. He was afraid Sam Houston was going to become TXST-Executionville. Which is why he keeps referring to us as SAN MARCOS. It was his contacts that added SAN MARCOS to the name Texas State (I THINK). It doesn't matter, as long as no other University adopts the Texas State name we are TEXAS STATE!!

SHSU has protected itself in an effort to stop ourselves from ever becoming Texas State - Sam Houston. I refer to you as "-San Marcos" because you fought on the floor for that right and again, as you noted, another university could include "Texas State" in their name eventually (it's one reason Angelo State left the TSUS) and I'd like to remind everyone that you are not a flagship institution...

By the way we are the third most applied to University in Texas and have one of the toughest requirements to get accepted. TXST and A&M are not far apart when it comes to academic requirements. xreadx xeyebrowx

This is not about academics, it's about athletics...

McNeese_beat
April 5th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I for one would miss having the Austin-San Marcos market in the league because, for my money, it's the most attractive market in the conference (apologies to Houston, which is sort of a Southland market, but only sort of, and the metroplex).

But TT's axe to grind aside, I've heard many of the things he's talking about. The attitude among many is that Texas State has made its intentions clear so the SLC should move forward with finding a replacement. And if that process moves hastily, 13 in other sports is an awkward number...so Texas State would be asked to move aside to make room for its successor on the league roster.

The problem is, I don't see that program stepping up right now. I hear Delta State is not interested at this time and Tarleton, Kingsville, etc., aren't "there" either. There are some non-football schools who would take the spot, but in the current climate, I don't see that happening.

I do think it's important to keep the basketball roster at 12 to keep the integrity of the divisional alignment. Given that, I don't see the conference moving on Texas State unless there's a replacement ready to move in.

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks McNeeseBeat...

So, time to figure out who the new member is going to be. With Lamar adding football here in the short term, I think the SLC (since Lamar seems willing) could boot Texas State-San Marcos prior to 2010, let Lamar play an SLC slate in 2010 (again, they seem willing) and add a non-football member...

Houston Baptist is embattled in that lawsuit with the NCAAs, which could slow them up as I do not think we want UCA and HBU both going through that process of not being eligible for championships...we sure as heck do not want UT-Pan American or Centenary...the moratorium messes up the chances for a Tarleton State or Delta State...

TXST_CAT
April 5th, 2008, 02:01 PM
If you knew a thing or two about SLC history -- the rule that we are now discussing was put into place thanks to your announcement a few years ago. You can ask anyone in the SLC, then-Southwest Texas was the guilty party that led the SLC to put this rule in during the 2002 meetings...

The difference between you, Lamar and UTSA is that you have actually announced you are moving up -- Teis/Trauth "holding hands schpiel" and then an official job announcement from your school. Obviously, the moratorium is in the way of that occurring for the time being, but your school has said it will move up.

Per the by-law..."In addition, an institution’s public announcement of its intent to withdraw or public acceptance of an invitation of membership in another conference shall be considered notice by the member institution to the Conference of its intent to terminate its membership. [8/02]"

SHSU has protected itself in an effort to stop ourselves from ever becoming Texas State - Sam Houston. I refer to you as "-San Marcos" because you fought on the floor for that right and again, as you noted, another university could include "Texas State" in their name eventually (it's one reason Angelo State left the TSUS) and I'd like to remind everyone that you are not a flagship institution...

This is not about academics, it's about athletics...

Of Course Academics and University Prestige come into play. When the SLC decides to pick "our Replacement" you're telling me they won't look into the Prospect Universities Academic reputation. If that's the case the SLC must have poor standards and supports the claim many TXST FBS supporters make. The SLC teams are not in the same Academic Peer Group TXST wants to be affiliated with. I happen to believe this is not the case. I Feel the SLC will measure its relationship with TXST on all matters, and determin if TXST's affiliation with the SLC adds value to the conference. As it stands we have worked hard to improve the repputation of our University and that translates to improving the reputation of the conference as a whole. Our Athletes graduate with Top honors and our graduation rate is higher than most. These are factors that Conferences consider as well or they should. So the question should be asked does the SLC want to let TXST just walk out the Door? I think if they were wise they would try to figure out why Universities like TXST, LAMAR, UTSA and even your SAMMY ST are even considering the idea of leaving the conference and focus on retention instead. Or perhaps they should take your advice and just kick out evry team that wants to better itself. xcoolx

TXST_CAT
April 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I'd like to remind everyone that you are not a flagship institution...

ARE YOU SHURE

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Flagship

Flagship
One entry found.

flagship

Main Entry: flag·ship
Pronunciation: \ˈflag-ˌship\
Function: noun
Date: 1672
1 : the ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision of a fleet and flies the commander's flag
2 : the finest, largest, or most important one of a series, network, or chain <the company's flagship store>

Interesting little thread on Katfans about this very issue.

Does perception shape reality?

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7805

xwhistlex xeekx xnodx

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Several thoughts...

1) Academics do matter when it comes to accepting people into the conference. Seeing that we are interested in removing Texas State - San Marcos from the conference, their academics have nothing to do with the conversation.

2) Yes, SHSU is looking into FBS. There's meetings behind closed doors. Other schools are looking at the fact too, but the problem is that the current state of the SLC dictates we are an FCS conference. Texas State - San Marcos has publicly announced they are leaving when they announced they were going FBS. Thereby, the rules are in place...

3) It's no surprise to Texas State - San Marcos as it relates to the by-laws. As I told Max, you can throw around all the hate words you want, but Teis being the smart individual that he is and Trauth, being the person she is, had to have known what the by-laws have stated regarding membership in the conference. You don't assemble something that is going to cost a lot of money without reading the instructions...unless that is a San Marcos way of thinking.

4) You can show me nice descriptions of flagship all you want. Many people do not even know the Texas State University System exists and those who do (a limited group at that) and those in the TSUS office acknowledge there is no flagship. In fact, a 2005 feasibility study came out that pretty much said that you guys are just as deserving, if not less so than SHSU. (Credit: http://www.shsu.edu/~org_sga/files/archive/2005/Texas%20State%20Evaluation.doc)

5) Do it amuse anyone else that the Texas State - San Marcos athletic department outspends many of their rivals by 30% or more as far as athletic expenses go, yet still constantly lacks success on the gridiron? Sounds pretty embarrassing, no?

6) And isn't it funny that every school in the TSUS in the SLC has improved their baseball facilities and Lamar even has nice plans for a softball facility (as they return that program), while the institution in San Marcos is still waiting to piece together theres...?

MaximumBobcat
April 5th, 2008, 02:26 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

That link to the document that TT just posted was written by the SHSU Student Body President.

A perfect example of the JUNK that TT tries to spread about TxSt.

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2008, 02:28 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

That link to the document that TT just posted was written by the SHSU Student Body President.

A perfect example of the JUNK that TT tries to spread about TxSt.

Actually, if you read the document -- it brings up numerous valid points to the argument of flagship, all of which you can not contend -- since you obviously lack the commonsense to discuss flagship. The system refuses to make your institution flagship and even when SHSU was down in the dumps (prior to our current President) and then-Southwest Texas was getting a lot of butt-kissing from the Regents, they refused to make you flagship. Wonder why? xrolleyesx

Real reasons that Texas State - San Marcos should leave...

1) They have announced their intentions to leave the conference by publicly stating they are going to FBS. Read the by-laws. Everyone else has.

2) The institution does not promote the company line and is actually "working against" the conference.

Unlike other schools in the conference, there are individuals at Texas State - San Marcos who continue to berate the conference saying the institution is "too big" and "much better" than their counterparts -- when in fact, this same "big" school can not compete on a consistent basis in the two biggest sports, football and men's basketball.

3) Inability to raise proper funding. While other schools in the Southland continue to upgrade baseball/softball facilities, Texas State- San Marcos continue to drag their feet as it relates to a baseball/softball facility. What should be their top priority, is not. If they are unable to do so after all this talk for years, shouldn't we go after a program like we did with UCA who is committed to upgrading facilities constantly?

4) Despite outspending every program in the Southland in football, they have not had success in the conference. In fact, their only appearance in the playoffs is marred by the fact they were led by players who questionably recruited including the star QB of the team. If this conference wants to reach the next level, we need to have programs that contribute on the gridiron -- see possible additions of Tarleton St and Delta St.

5) Helping the basketball RPI. Embarrassing losses over recent years to teams like UT-Permian Basin, do nothing for the conference to gain respect in basketball. While the program is turning around, there RPI is constantly among the worst in the league. I'm sure we can find a basketball program that could improve this. For the record, the Bobcats were even below Nicholls State and even lost to Rice (3-27) and had no OOC wins over teams that were over .500.

6) It'd just make everyone happier. There's a lot of people who do not like the attitude of Texas State - San Marcos, namely because of the reasons stated in reason #2. If they think they are too good (despite their lack of results), let them walk and enjoy life as a Division I Independent...

MaximumBobcat
April 5th, 2008, 02:36 PM
All the points is brings up are extremely biased and full of old, faulty numbers and statistics. I don't even want TxSt to become the "real" flagship. I don't care!

Back on topic...

How can you type so much yet say so little?

1 and 2 are junk opinions.

Good point on #3, I sort of agree with you. Hopefully, our baseball stadium construction will begin THIS SUMMER. I know we've heard that before, but I think this time it's for real. :D

4 and 5. We WERE the last team in the conference to have a FCS playoff win. Our basketball team will be above .500 next year. I promise.

6. This is the real reason why you keep talking about this. You want TxSt to fail. Pathetic, considering we are both in the TSUS.

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Confused on how Nos. 1 and 2 are "junk opinions"...

1) If you are to follow the rules, you are supposed to follow the rules. The by-laws are written down and you are supposed to "play" by them...

2) If you work for a company and talk crap about them, you are going to bite the dust. Why should Texas State - San Marcos be held any differently?

TXST_CAT
April 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Real reasons that Texas State - San Marcos should leave...

1) They have announced their intentions to leave the conference by publicly stating they are going to FBS. Read the by-laws. Everyone else has.

2) The institution does not promote the company line and is actually "working against" the conference.

Unlike other schools in the conference, there are individuals at Texas State - San Marcos who continue to berate the conference saying the institution is "too big" and "much better" than their counterparts -- when in fact, this same "big" school can not compete on a consistent basis in the two biggest sports, football and men's basketball.

Again they raise this argument because of our Academic Acheivement.

3) Inability to raise proper funding. While other schools in the Southland continue to upgrade baseball/softball facilities, Texas State- San Marcos continue to drag their feet as it relates to a baseball/softball facility. What should be their top priority, is not. If they are unable to do so after all this talk for years, shouldn't we go after a program like we did with UCA who is committed to upgrading facilities constantly?

Sorry we were spending money on our New Business and Science building first. If you saw our campus plan you would see where the dollars are going but dont worry you'll see our New BASEBALL SOFTBALL COMPLEX next season and we will soon begin on our FOOTBALL STADIUM Expansion Project (yes were going Bigger) thanks to the new student fees that OUR STUDENTS REQUESTED.

4) Despite outspending every program in the Southland in football, they have not had success in the conference. In fact, their only appearance in the playoffs is marred by the fact they were led by players who questionably recruited including the star QB of the team. If this conference wants to reach the next level, we need to have programs that contribute on the gridiron -- see possible additions of Tarleton St and Delta St.

BOMAR comes to mind. Besides SAm rides the coat tails of Aggies left overs. Did he even graduate from your school??

5) Helping the basketball RPI. Embarrassing losses over recent years to teams like UT-Permian Basin, do nothing for the conference to gain respect in basketball. While the program is turning around, there RPI is constantly among the worst in the league. I'm sure we can find a basketball program that could improve this. For the record, the Bobcats were even below Nicholls State and even lost to Rice (3-27) and had no OOC wins over teams that were over .500.

Yea we had a bum coach before Davalos and I see this team becoming the next conference Champ considering he has recruited some of the best Players in the state the last two years with another solid class comming in. Be careful what you ask for.

6) It'd just make everyone happier. There's a lot of people who do not like the attitude of Texas State - San Marcos, namely because of the reasons stated in reason #2. If they think they are too good (despite their lack of results), let them walk and enjoy life as a Division I Independent...

Yea everyone can't wait to see the SLC become a conference of DivII Teams. No disrespcet to those teams for they are solid but I doubt the SLC wants to rely on bringing in new DiVII team ever other year. That will bump up the RPI! xsmhx

MaximumBobcat
April 5th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Confused on how Nos. 1 and 2 are "junk opinions"...

1) If you are to follow the rules, you are supposed to follow the rules. The by-laws are written down and you are supposed to "play" by them...

2) If you work for a company and talk crap about them, you are going to bite the dust. Why should Texas State - San Marcos be held any differently?

1) I'm talking about your interpretation that every rule that was ever written needs to be enforced to it's fullest extent. This is the same type of thought process that 14 year old Hallway monitors and 45 year old alcoholic cops who never outlived their HS glory days have. The rule was written to protect the SLC. The SLC faces no danger by leaving TxSt in the SLC presently.

2) Who said we were much better? Honestly, I'm curious, cause that's kinda funny. Anyways, you and the SLC have to see that a lot of those statements were made to hype up the FBS move and get the communities and student support. Sorry your feelings got hurt.

BEAR
April 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Can we now move this topic to the smack forum?? xconfusedx xrulesx xconfusedx

TXST_CAT
April 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Can we now move this topic to the smack forum?? xconfusedx xrulesx xconfusedx

This was a smack thread before it was submitted.
xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2008, 08:56 PM
This was a smack thread before it was submitted.

Nope -- it was an informative thread about the conference by-laws. The failure of the fans from Texas State - San Marcos to actually sit back and read the by-laws is very consistent with various instances the last few years of neglecting to know the rules (see Mataskis, Wentworth, Anderson, M.A.P, etc).

TXST_CAT, you should know me better. I'm not in the dark when I talk about SLC-related issues. There's been numerous people who have messaged me or contacted me since this post (and the similar one on KatFans) to tell me that this is a big issue behind the closed doors that is the SLC. It is a serious issue, regardless of what you think and those who have contacted me have relayed such.

I even warned Fischerr about it a few months ago and he ignored me. As I noted in the first post, I've been sitting on this, because I have been discussing it with individuals who hoped to bring this issue to light through different mediums, but the SLC is just so mum on the subject (and I do not blame them necessarily).

Just because you were in the dark over the last few weeks, months as this has been discussed and continues to be discussed, does not mean this is smack...

blackfordpu
April 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Do ANY of the Texas-State student/alum/admin actually think they have a shot to matter at the FBS level?

TXST_CAT
April 5th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Nope -- it was an informative thread about the conference by-laws. The failure of the fans from Texas State - San Marcos to actually sit back and read the by-laws is very consistent with various instances the last few years of neglecting to know the rules (see Mataskis, Wentworth, Anderson, M.A.P, etc).

TXST_CAT, you should know me better. I'm not in the dark when I talk about SLC-related issues. There's been numerous people who have messaged me or contacted me since this post (and the similar one on KatFans) to tell me that this is a big issue behind the closed doors that is the SLC. It is a serious issue, regardless of what you think and those who have contacted me have relayed such.

I even warned Fischerr about it a few months ago and he ignored me. As I noted in the first post, I've been sitting on this, because I have been discussing it with individuals who hoped to bring this issue to light through different mediums, but the SLC is just so mum on the subject (and I do not blame them necessarily).

Just because you were in the dark over the last few weeks, months as this has been discussed and continues to be discussed, does not mean this is smack...

I don't doubt your insight into this topic. It's not what you say but how and why you say. Its your motive that makes this thread smack. Just as you said the SLC is "mum" on the issue. They will not act because they know it would hurt the SLC just as much as it would hurt TXST. Do you honestly think kicking TXST out would benefit the conference? Do you think cutting off heads and burning bridges will make the SLC a stronger conference. What will they do when the other half of the existing teams start their process hack them off too. You say we don't tote the corporate line. But not every member in the SLC does. I don't doubt there are persons who would like to see action taken everyone has their own reasons. Bottom line trying to boot TXST would not HELP the SLC.

TXST_CAT
April 5th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Do ANY of the Texas-State student/alum/admin actually think they have a shot to matter at the FBS level?

There is only one way to find out.

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I don't doubt your insight into this topic. It's not what you say but how and why you say. Its your motive that makes this thread smack. Just as you said the SLC is "mum" on the issue. They will not act because they know it would hurt the SLC just as much as it would hurt TXST. Do you honestly think kicking TXST out would benefit the conference? Do you think cutting off heads and burning bridges will make the SLC a stronger conference. What will they do when the other half of the existing teams start their process hack them off too. You say we don't tote the corporate line. But not every member in the SLC does. I don't doubt there are persons who would like to see action taken everyone has their own reasons. Bottom line trying to boot TXST would not HELP the SLC.

Bridges being burned is half of collegiate athletics. When an institution or institutions leave a conference, there's some bad blood there...to some in the Southland, Texas State - San Marcos has already announced their intentions to leave the conference and are playing the SLC as we speak.

If anyone was burning bridges, it is your school. Some of the comments made that represent your school regarding the SLC (even if it was promoting a move to FBS or "Division I" as your AD put it) did not sit well with many in the conference. As I told you, this by-law was put in specifically because of your institution and it would be fitting if it was acted upon because of your institution.

If anything, I do not think it hurts the Southland as much as it hurts Texas State - San Marcos. Sure, 12 teams are ideal, but we could get by with 11 for a year or few. If the Sun Belt can make it with 13, I'm sure the SLC can make it with 11! Not everything is even in life, right?

Football, if we kick the Bobcats out after the 2009-2010 year, Lamar seems willing to play a full SLC slate that year. We'll add them in!

Here's a fun one...what do you think would happen if the Bobcats were kicked out of the SLC prior to the 2010-2011 year? What would your school end up doing, outside of paying the exit fee to the SLC?

Now, if you stick around til the move, not much will change -- though towards the end, the SLC will begin taking away privileges (i.e hosting championship events, voting rights, etc). That's fine and dandy, right?

slycat
April 6th, 2008, 06:50 PM

i think a lot of fans do. its called supporting your university.

besides there is all this talk that shsu will try to move up if we do. (seems your school is the follower and not the leader) do any of your fans think that you will have a shot?

TT has a point but mcneesebeat made a great one as well. slc wont cut us until a replacement is found.

TexasTerror
April 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM
besides there is all this talk that shsu will try to move up if we do. (seems your school is the follower and not the leader) do any of your fans think that you will have a shot?

SHSU will only move up if it's colleagues make the move (particularly if SFA and Lamar join Texas State - San Marcos in discussing a move on up) and if the situation is right. I am not a big fan of the FBS climate right now and like the rest of the FCS community, is very interested to see what happens when the moratorium is lifted...

TT has a point but mcneesebeat made a great one as well. slc wont cut us until a replacement is found.

I think they do not count this year as towards your two years. 2008-2009, 2009-2010 and then, they'll be gone. The SLC is looking at different options right now. Lamar playing a full SLC slate may happen in year one, especially if Billy Tubbs gets his way (he doesn't know better) to replace the Bobcats as a football member. I would not be surprised if the SLC picks up a Houston Baptist, pending their lawsuit. A non-football school, yes...but they have very savvy people in place there and I think if the President realizes he needs to add football to get in, he'll make it happen...

slycat
April 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM
SHSU will only move up if it's colleagues make the move (particularly if SFA and Lamar join Texas State - San Marcos in discussing a move on up) and if the situation is right. I am not a big fan of the FBS climate right now and like the rest of the FCS community, is very interested to see what happens when the moratorium is lifted...

I think they do not count this year as towards your two years. 2008-2009, 2009-2010 and then, they'll be gone. The SLC is looking at different options right now. Lamar playing a full SLC slate may happen in year one, especially if Billy Tubbs gets his way (he doesn't know better) to replace the Bobcats as a football member. I would not be surprised if the SLC picks up a Houston Baptist, pending their lawsuit. A non-football school, yes...but they have very savvy people in place there and I think if the President realizes he needs to add football to get in, he'll make it happen...

if this really does happen it will be interesting to see where we would and if it would put more force on the administration to actually go through with the move up instead of just going through the motions. it would suck to lose the slc before the jump but could be good if it forces the administration to work harder.

i agree that houston baptist would need to add football to get in. if texas st, utsa, and lamar all moved up and maybe shsu or mcneese, the conference would be gutted. they would need football teams asap.

its crazy to think how different the conference could be in 10 years.

blackfordpu
April 6th, 2008, 09:47 PM
i think a lot of fans do. its called supporting your university.

I, like many SHSU fans, would not be in favor of moving to FBS. We are nowhere near ready to do so. And to be honest, neither is Texas-State.

slycat
April 6th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I, like many SHSU fans, would not be in favor of moving to FBS. We are nowhere near ready to do so. And to be honest, neither is Texas-State.

i dont think we are ready either. however i am now trying to support it since it is the universities decision.

TexasTerror
April 6th, 2008, 10:09 PM
i do think we are ready either. however i am now trying to support it since it is the universities decision.

The more I learn about the situation in San Marcos, the more I think the move is very premature. I've heard a few things in recent days even that make me think this...and unfortunately, the institution has gotten itself into a situation where they pretty much have to go forward this point, even if it wrecks the athletic department.

TXST_CAT
April 7th, 2008, 12:46 AM
The more I learn about the situation in San Marcos, the more I think the move is very premature. I've heard a few things in recent days even that make me think this...and unfortunately, the institution has gotten itself into a situation where they pretty much have to go forward this point, even if it wrecks the athletic department.

Regardless. If our Administration isn't pressured to move, there would be little to no motive to improve the Department. If they fail to get things moving in the right direction, it will only force the fans, students and Alumni to take action and ask for a replacement of our existing staff with Directors who are more capable. I however don't think this will be the case. Our AD is better than many think. Lacking in some areas but capable of handling the transition. If the pressure gets to tuff, Teis will likely resign. Yet, again I remind you, we are not in a position to wait as UTSA has made their intentions VERY clear as has Lamar. As you have pointed out we have spent numerous amounts of money and just recently began to see success. If there is no push to expect more of our Athletic Department it will fall back to the sad state it was in before the 2005 conference championship. Our department has under achieved in the past not because a lack of funding but a lack of oversight by the fans, students, and Alumi. We will not let that happen again!! xnonox

So your next question will probably be how do we expect to get better by moving to FBS when we just recently started competing at the FCS level.
I think many feel by making the jump more alumni and students will take notice putting our AD on a bigger spotlight. Expectations will increase but donations SHOULD too. The "we're FBS" excuse will no longer be valid. Over all being FBS has given our AD, students and Alumni to easy an excuse to not care to improve our Athletics. In one broad sweep that excuse will be gone. Will we sink or will we float? Time will only tell. The wheels of change have begun to turn and to just say we shouldn't try to succeed is a defeatist mentality and should not be accepted.xcoolx

txstman
April 16th, 2008, 11:55 PM
There has been no public announcement of a move FBS. However there has been a public call for the move with people saying they might support such a move after the moratorium is over. Even strongly considering a move is still only considering. Nothing is official in the NCAA or the SLC's eyes. The legislation passed by AGS holds no bearing to the NCAA or the SLC.

The public announcement will come the day Texas State submits their application to the NCAA for reclassification.

That bylaw was also enacted to protect the conference from people leaving, not as a measure to place punishment and remove a school from the conference. You intention and interpretation invalidates why the bylaw was passed in the first place.

All that said, if Texas State decides to declare its intention for reclassification after the moratorium, the still have a place in the Southland during the moratorium and the two years following the intent to reclassify.

So when there is actually an action that can be called upon, sure try to invoke your bylaw, but until then go to the corner and remain a bitter little man who envies another university he hates at the same time.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 17th, 2008, 12:28 AM
So when there is actually an action that can be called upon, sure try to invoke your bylaw, but until then go to the corner and remain a bitter little man who envies another university he hates at the same time.

I want to sincerely thank you for those comments as I feel the exact same way. xbowx

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM
There has been no public announcement of a move FBS.

So, putting it in a job posting is not a public announcement? It does not say FCS, it clearly states FBS. Announcing it at an ASG meeting (the "holding hands"/working together talk by Trauth/Teis)? Your institution has announced it, which is why it has started a wave of activity behind the scenes.

I'd like you to ask the individual who put together the by-law in question what he thinks about the current situation and if Texas State Univ - San Marcos invoked it with an announcement about FBS? I'd bet some $$$ (and I am sure a few members of the media would as well) that he believes the time frame has kicked off.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 17th, 2008, 09:43 AM
So, putting it in a job posting is not a public announcement? It does not say FCS, it clearly states FBS. Announcing it at an ASG meeting (the "holding hands"/working together talk by Trauth/Teis)? Your institution has announced it, which is why it has started a wave of activity behind the scenes.

I'd like you to ask the individual who put together the by-law in question what he thinks about the current situation and if Texas State Univ - San Marcos invoked it with an announcement about FBS? I'd bet some $$$ (and I am sure a few members of the media would as well) that he believes the time frame has kicked off.

And this is your concern (a non Southwest Texas State Normal School, Southwest Texas State Normal College, Southwest Texas State Teachers College, Southwest Texas State College, Southwest Texas State University or Texas State University-San Marcos graduate or ex-student or financial supporter) because you are the internet guardian of all that is FCS?

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM
And this is your concern (a non Southwest Texas State Normal School, Southwest Texas State Normal College, Southwest Texas State Teachers College, Southwest Texas State College, Southwest Texas State University or Texas State University-San Marcos graduate or ex-student or financial supporter) because you are the internet guardian of all that is FCS?

This involves the Southland Conference.

The folks in San Marcos have made it clear they are going to FBS. Sure, they have not put their application in (nor can they because of the moratorium), but they are strutting their stuff around as they are -- whether through public announcements at meetings and banquets (no formal release on the Internet) and job postings (among other things)...

3rd Coast -- shouldn't you be working with your new AD to clean up the mess at Texas Southern?

MaximumBobcat
April 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
There's no real reason why the SLC would kick TxSt out of the SLC right now. When us moving up starts to potentially threaten or hurt the conference (if it ever does), then they will do something.

Until then, this is just TexasTerror being an alarmist, trying to stir the pot, and trying to damage Texas State University's reputation. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

3rd Coast Tiger
April 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM
3rd Coast -- shouldn't you be working with your new AD to clean up the mess at Texas Southern?

Why don't you start a thread about this then and get off this meaningless thread you created. You know, just to keep your meaningless threads seperate from one another.

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
If this official page signifying the 'Drive to FBS' does not get Commish Tom Burnett's to say that it's time to kick off the countdown to remove Texas State - San Marcos, I am sure what does...

Enjoy your last two years, Bobcats...

http://www.athletics.txstate.edu/thedrive/

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2010, 12:34 PM
** Wanted to bring this topic back to life, now that kicking out UTSA has been mention on several fronts and this story/saga is very much in line with that situation from a few years ago **

Well, here we are two years later and TXST is not getting booted from the SLC.

However, indications are that TXST would like to evoke the very same rule in the SLC by-laws to remove UTSA.

Like TXST did back when this post was originally made, UTSA made their intentions know publicly that they do not intend on playing SLC football and move to FBS as an independent (which may be tough to do, pending an NCAA waiver that AD Lynn Hickey plans to get).

While TXST does not have a concrete timeline for FBS like UTSA does, as the school has found the path much more difficult than they thought, their fans are just licking at their lips on the news of the school talking to the C-USA, WAC, MWC and Sun Belt.

Now that two schools are interested in leaving for FBS, is the SLC in a much better position to exact their decision-making to give them the boot?

The SLC was not in the position to do so prior, though another factor remains that several schools (most notably SHSU and Lamar) are also looking at FBS, so a decision here could very well impact them down the road - pending on how things work out...

Very intriguing situation.

Times have changed. Hard for some schools to act on what they wanted to do back in 2008 because now, ADs are forced to look much further ahead than the next few years, as they prepare for the ever-evolving future of collegiate athletics.

MaximumBobcat
May 29th, 2010, 01:28 PM
However, indications are that TXST would like to evoke the very same rule in the SLC by-laws to remove UTSA.

Who are you talking about? A few random fans on a message board?

The Athletic Department? Any proof of that? I haven't seen anything.

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2010, 03:22 PM
The Athletic Department? Any proof of that? I haven't seen anything.

It was in the media that Hickey is/has talked to each institution in the conference regarding UTSA's place in the SLC when this whole football curveball came about...

Any additional information on the subject, I can not openly say. I'll just say that UTSA's situation will be a part of the discussion at the upcoming SLC meetings in Galveston this week.

MaximumBobcat
May 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM

It was in the media that Hickey is/has talked to each institution in the conference regarding UTSA's place in the SLC when this whole football curveball came about...

Ok, so where's the part about the TXST AD trying to remove UTSA from the SLC?

txstatebobcat
May 29th, 2010, 03:52 PM
As I read it, it sounds like it's up to the remaining member institutions to determine the withdrawal date, per 3.04.01, sentences two and three. (Since they intend to move to FBS once the moratorium is lifted).

TxSt has intentions to move to FBS once a conference invites us. that's a huge difference.

txstatebobcat
May 29th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Ok, so where's the part about the TXST AD trying to remove UTSA from the SLC?

He read it either on bobcatfans or on anygivensaturday and so assumed it came from President Trauth herself.

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2010, 05:29 PM
He read it either on bobcatfans or on anygivensaturday and so assumed it came from President Trauth herself.

If you read my post, I stated - Any additional information on the subject, I can not openly say. I'll just say that UTSA's situation will be a part of the discussion at the upcoming SLC meetings in Galveston this week.

I talk to people around the conference all the time. Most of the time, the give me a pretty good idea of what's happening around the league. Other times, maybe not. Message board people at times supplement the information and help fill potential holes - but can not always rely on them (especially folks like CatMom! ;)).

MaximumBobcat
May 29th, 2010, 05:46 PM
If you read my post, I stated - Any additional information on the subject, I can not openly say. I'll just say that UTSA's situation will be a part of the discussion at the upcoming SLC meetings in Galveston this week.

I talk to people around the conference all the time. Most of the time, the give me a pretty good idea of what's happening around the league. Other times, maybe not. Message board people at times supplement the information and help fill potential holes - but can not always rely on them (especially folks like CatMom! ;)).

Ok, that's fine. It's what I thought, you can't provide any real evidence, just give hints of hearsay. I'm honestly not TRYING to be a dick to you right now TT, but when you say something pretty big like the TXST AD could be trying to get UTSA kicked out of the SLC, you've got to have some sort of proof to back it up.

I just hope we get some good reports of what comes out of these SLC meetings. I'm hoping that neither UTSA or TXST have any actions taken against them.

Carry on.

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Ok, that's fine. It's what I thought, you can't provide any real evidence, just give hints of hearsay. I'm honestly not TRYING to be a dick to you right now TT, but when you say something pretty big like the TXST AD could be trying to get UTSA kicked out of the SLC, you've got to have some sort of proof to back it up.

It's more of a conference-wide effort. A big slap in the fact, not individually singling out TXST. The good thing for UTSA is that Lynn Hickey is very well respected and that several other schools are in a very similar situation (looking toward FBS), that it may protect UTSA.

It is also good for the whole conference that we have the Commissioner we do, who has great foresight on things such as how the NCAA is going to move forward, plus individuals like the ADs at SHSU and Nicholls, who also have been very involved in football decision making at the Div I level.

I just hope we get some good reports of what comes out of these SLC meetings. I'm hoping that neither UTSA or TXST have any actions taken against them.

I really do hope we get some answers - in addition to the annual decision-making pertaining to SLC championship events. It seems the UTSA beat writer is doing a sensational job covering the startup process and TXST's has ramped it up as well (namely with the help of his blog), so hopefully we find out something!

I've got to look back and see how far in advance the SLC handles future scheduling for football, because that would weigh in. The league is 'booked' through 2012 at this point. Do not think they moved forward, as they were waiting to see what UTSA did. Not sure if they move forward with 2013 & 2014 this year or when.

DG Cowboy
May 29th, 2010, 08:06 PM
To me there is a big difference in TX St playing all SLC sports and leaving the SLC, taking all sports at the same time, and UTSA saying they want to play all sports but football in the SLC while they shop around. I feel Sam would do the same as TX ST, and I have no problem with that. The UTSA approach is unacceptable for me.