PDA

View Full Version : RU disses Howard for Fresno St.

jstclmet
April 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM
http://www.scarletknights.com/football/news/release.asp?prID=6406

PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Rutgers and Fresno State have reached an agreement on a home-and-home series beginning in 2008 at Rutgers Stadium. The two teams will play on Labor Day Monday, Sept. 1 at 4:30 p.m. with live national television coverage on ESPN.

"This is an exciting series for our fans as we face one of the top programs from the West Coast in Fresno State," said Rutgers Director of Athletics Robert E. Mulcahy. "We are anxious to open the 2008 season on ESPN in front of a national television audience on Labor Day."

Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano will be available for comment following today's practice.

Rutgers will play an opponent from the Football Championship Subdivision on Saturday, Sept. 27 at home. The previously scheduled game vs. Howard on August 30 will not be played.

The Scarlet Knights will make the return trip to Fresno Thursday, August 30, 2012.

With the opener on ESPN, the Scarlet Knights will play their first two games of the season on ESPN for the first time in school history. The first three games of the 2008 campaign will be nationally televised, including the Sept. 20 game at Navy on the CBS College Sports Network. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. in Annapolis.

DFW HOYA
April 1st, 2008, 06:32 PM
Howard moved Georgetown off that weekend to accomodate Rutgers.

danefan
April 1st, 2008, 06:41 PM
I've got the perfect solution:

Move the Howard-G-Town game back to August 30th.

Howard can then come to Albany on the 6th. It doesn't really change anyone schedule that much and it still gets Howard their 12th game.

UAalum72
April 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
Perfect unless Howard was counting on the $ from Rutgers. I don't think Albany can offer as much.

Keeper
April 2nd, 2008, 05:35 AM
Assuming the Howard U AD signed a contract, they should get a
handsome buyout package from Rutgers and the national TV $$.

Now the question is "Who is available to play Rutgers Sept 27??"

Libertine
April 2nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
Now the question is "Who is available to play Rutgers Sept 27??"

Cal Poly, Tenn Tech, Bucknell, Valparaiso (yeah, right), and Nicholls. That's it.

89Hen
April 2nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
Assuming the Howard U AD signed a contract, they should get a
handsome buyout package from Rutgers and the national TV $$.
I sure hope so. xthumbsupx

nwFL Griz
April 2nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Cal Poly, Tenn Tech, Bucknell, Valparaiso (yeah, right), and Nicholls. That's it.

Yeah, that's not really it.

William and Mary
Illinois St
Missouri St
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
NC Central
Jackson St

and the teams you mention all have an opening on 9/27 and space for an additional game. I would rule out W&M, Cal Poly, Tenn Tech, Nicholls, ND St, Ill St, Miss St, West Ill as they already all have an FBS scheduled.

Like you, I also rule out Valpo, and I think NC Central is still transition so wouldn't be a counter. (Correct me if I'm wrong there.)

That leaves Bucknell and Jackson St.

813Jag
April 2nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Yeah, that's not really it.

William and Mary
Illinois St
Missouri St
North Dakota St
Western Illinois
NC Central
Jackson St

and the teams you mention all have an opening on 9/27 and space for an additional game. I would rule out W&M, Cal Poly, Tenn Tech, Nicholls, ND St, Ill St, Miss St, West Ill as they already all have an FBS scheduled.

Like you, I also rule out Valpo, and I think NC Central is still transition so wouldn't be a counter. (Correct me if I'm wrong there.)

That leaves Bucknell and Jackson St.
JSU would probably be out as well. (If they played on Sept 27, that would give them 9 games before an open date)

nwFL Griz
April 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
JSU would probably be out as well. (If they played on Sept 27, that would give them 9 games before an open date)

I guess it depends on money then. Lots of teams only have 1 open date, example, my Griz. Open date to start, then play 12 straight.

So if rutgers makes a good offer, then I see JSU taking it, but maybe not.

813Jag
April 2nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
I guess it depends on money then. Lots of teams only have 1 open date, example, my Griz. Open date to start, then play 12 straight.

So if rutgers makes a good offer, then I see JSU taking it, but maybe not.
It'll probably depend on an offer but who knows. xconfusedx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 2nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=montana-state-to-play-fbs-minnesota-and-&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Rutgers, in turn, dropped Howard – although negotiations are ongoing to see if the Bison can play Sept. 27 or Nov. 1. Those dates are the two byes on the Knights’ schedule.

If not, Rutgers will find another Championship Subdivision school to fill in. That’s not nearly as difficult as finding a Bowl Subdivision opponent.

Since no contract was signed with Howard, Rutgers isn’t financially obligated for dropping the game.

xoopsx

nwFL Griz
April 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=montana-state-to-play-fbs-minnesota-and-&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

xoopsx

Oh man, that sucks. I thought they had a signed deal....