PDA

View Full Version : ‘Army' Rolling Along At JMU

BDKJMU
April 1st, 2008, 02:43 PM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=15938&CHID=3&sub=

Eight Legger
April 1st, 2008, 09:40 PM
You have a RB transfer from LaSalle? Does LaSalle play football?

JmuSkinsfan
April 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM

Yeah, Corwin Acker. He was a pretty good recruit out of northern Va....redshirted last year at La Salle as a freshman and transferred here. Apparently he looked real good. Always nice to have a ton of depth in the backfield!

Hoyadestroya85
April 1st, 2008, 11:08 PM

not anymore.. they dropped their program
btw.. i played against "army" in middle school

grayghost06
April 1st, 2008, 11:24 PM
Yeah, Corwin Acker. He was a pretty good recruit out of northern Va....redshirted last year at La Salle as a freshman and transferred here. Apparently he looked real good. Always nice to have a ton of depth in the backfield!

That is incorrect. Corwin Acker is a freshman running back from Silver Spring who committed to Temple during the summer before his senior season (2006). Actually, he never really enrolled at Temple, although he signed with them. Acker says it was because they wanted to redshirt him after promising him they would not and he asked for his release. Temple says that his scholarship was revoked because of a nightclub altercation before he enrolled. In any case, he spurned senior year overtures from MD, Syr and PSU and stuck to his junior year verbal to Temple. This likely played into his hard feelings toward Temple as he felt he honored his committment to them, but they were backing off of their redshirt promise. In any case, he is now on full scholarship at JMU and expected to contend for playing time

The guy you're referring to is a running back from the now defunct program at LaSalle. He has nowhere near the pedigree of Acker, but has chosen to walk onto the JMU program.

citdog
April 2nd, 2008, 07:20 AM
COWARD

BDKJMU
April 6th, 2008, 02:33 PM
COWARD

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

DTSpider
April 7th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Flanagan, who is rooming with Smith this spring, spent one year at Army and has three years to play at JMU.

"I made the decision that I didn't want to be in the Army for eight years after graduation," Flanagan said.

I think this is what Citdog was referring to.

jmu_duke07
April 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM
COWARD

So what branch are you affiliated with?

BDKJMU
April 8th, 2008, 11:11 AM
"Flanagan, who is rooming with Smith this spring, spent one year at Army and has three years to play at JMU.

"I made the decision that I didn't want to be in the Army for eight years after graduation," Flanagan said."

I think this is what Citdog was referring to.

Then I guess according to Citdog's logic, most American college students are cowards, because if you ask how many are interested in being with the military for 8 years after graduation, (how many graduate each year, maybe 5 million?) I'm sure only a fraction, probably only a few %, would say yes:
-those that are at one of the service academies
-VMI, Citadel
-ROTC
-are looking into OCS
-or just plain enlisting after graduation.

And for those that were only looking at say a 4 yr commitment, I guess they'd be cowards in Citdog's mind also.

mcveyrl
April 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM
"Flanagan, who is rooming with Smith this spring, spent one year at Army and has three years to play at JMU.

"I made the decision that I didn't want to be in the Army for eight years after graduation," Flanagan said."

Then I guess according to Citdog's logic, most American college students are cowards, because if you ask how many are interested in being with the military for 8 years after graduation, (how many graduate each year, maybe 5 million?) I'm sure only a fraction, probably only a few %, would say yes:
-those that are at one of the service academies
-VMI, Citadel
-ROTC
-are looking into OCS
-or just plain enlisting after graduation.

And for those that were only looking at say a 4 yr commitment, I guess they'd be cowards in Citdog's mind also.

I've gotta admit that I'm not crazy about him leaving Army. I understand what you're saying, but he made the commitment to go to Army and knew what he was getting into when he went.

The flip side is that he was obviously young and I can see his change in mind.

Does anybody know what it takes to get out of your commitment if you enroll at West Point or any of the other academies? I remember reading a book on recruitig where the kid had committed to Navy, but dropped out right before his ceremony to enter the school (ended up at Hahvahd). It seems to me that enrolling in the academy is a lot like enrolling in the military and it would be difficult to get out of, but I have no idea.

Cobblestone
April 8th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I should know the answer to this question but I can't say for sure. I believe that to drop out of one of the service academies is not that difficult. The academies also have no problem throwing people out for disciplinary reasons. What is more difficult is if someone graduates then refuses to serve the committment, then they'd most likely be subject to UCMJ. Why someone would go through all that and not serve is beyond me but I have heard of situations, most after 9/11, which some tried to go that route.

BDKJMU
April 8th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I've gotta admit that I'm not crazy about him leaving Army. I understand what you're saying, but he made the commitment to go to Army and knew what he was getting into when he went.

The flip side is that he was obviously young and I can see his change in mind.

Does anybody know what it takes to get out of your commitment if you enroll at West Point or any of the other academies? I remember reading a book on recruitig where the kid had committed to Navy, but dropped out right before his ceremony to enter the school (ended up at Hahvahd). It seems to me that enrolling in the academy is a lot like enrolling in the military and it would be difficult to get out of, but I have no idea.

I believe the obligation kicks in once their junior year starts. So you can leave after one or 2 years and not owe any time.

DRocksDad
April 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM
That is incorrect. ...

The guy you're referring to is a running back from the now defunct program at LaSalle. He has nowhere near the pedigree of Acker, but has chosen to walk onto the JMU program.

I respectfully disagree although clearly Acker is a favorite right now. Deric Dudinski is the kid from LaSalle. SHould go Defense if you ask me with the depth they got but he is curretnly 4th in the chart and a pretty damn good pedigree if you ask me.

VAPreps/Rivalsl.com AA POY in VA

All State honors inlcude
Senior 1st Team DB (Coaches Poll)
Senior 2nd Team RB (Coaches Poll)
Senior 1st Team DB (Associated Press)
Senior VHSCAA All-Star game DB
Junior 2nd Team DB (Associated Press)
Junior Honorable Mention DB (Coaches Poll)
Junior All-State 4x100 (2nd place at States)

14 school records including

Rushing in a Career 5,708
Rushing in a Game 406
TDs in a Season 31
TDs in a Game 6
Points in a Season 186
Points in a Game 36
All Purpose Yards in a Career 6,771

Defense

Tackles in a Career 261
Tackles in a Game 20
Interceptions in a Career 11
Interceptions in a Season 7 4 returned for TDs (all 60-98 yds)
Blocked Kicks in a Career 7
Blocked Kicks in a Season 4
Defensive TDs in a Season 4

Top rusher in teh DC Metro Area iin 2006 (which includes the MD RBs and all the CAC schools)

His fault is he is only 5-9 and he is white.

Tribe4SF
April 9th, 2008, 07:32 PM

What's that supposed to mean?!?!

DRocksDad
April 9th, 2008, 09:07 PM
What's that supposed to mean?!?!

come on your a W&M grad. Like it or not there is a mold. i have recurited two sons now. one of the many lessons i learned is the problem with recuriting is that the first filter is the young, new asst coaches. not many of those newbees are likley to take a chance on a small kid, even with big stats, honors etc if he doesnt fit a typical mold which exist for virtually all positions.

more than one coach told us that.

just like a 5 somethin WR or under 200 QB will find himself at teh end of a line at a combine so too does the white TB. FB is another story. every position has its mold.

Im not trying to start a huge arguement on race or anyting like that. its not lilke im hung up on the issue. its just an observation.

W&M actually really liked deric last fall and recruited him pretty strong. he simply was borderline on his SATs and the RBs coach admitted if Laycock took a RB he wanted or needed a bigger FB size guy.

Tribe4SF
April 10th, 2008, 07:04 AM
come on your a W&M grad. Like it or not there is a mold. i have recurited two sons now. one of the many lessons i learned is the problem with recuriting is that the first filter is the young, new asst coaches. not many of those newbees are likley to take a chance on a small kid, even with big stats, honors etc if he doesnt fit a typical mold which exist for virtually all positions.

more than one coach told us that.

just like a 5 somethin WR or under 200 QB will find himself at teh end of a line at a combine so too does the white TB. FB is another story. every position has its mold.

Im not trying to start a huge arguement on race or anyting like that. its not lilke im hung up on the issue. its just an observation.

W&M actually really liked deric last fall and recruited him pretty strong. he simply was borderline on his SATs and the RBs coach admitted if Laycock took a RB he wanted or needed a bigger FB size guy.

Whether you're at the end of the line, or the beginning, you know as well as I do that speed is a critical factor for smaller running backs coming out of high school. If race were a factor, Sam McGuffie wouldn't be going to Michigan, and Takeem Hedgeman wouldn't be going to Norfolk State.

Many of us in the Tribe family were hoping Deric would come to W&M. His playmaking ability, and superior attitude were well known.

W&M took two RBs last year. Terrence Riggins, who's 6'2" and 235, and Ryan Woolfolk, who's 5'11" and 190. They both have good speed and athleticism. I think Riggins will be a star. He's pictured below on a big gain against JMU last Fall.

grayghost06
April 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I respectfully disagree although clearly Acker is a favorite right now. Deric Dudinski is the kid from LaSalle. SHould go Defense if you ask me with the depth they got but he is curretnly 4th in the chart and a pretty damn good pedigree if you ask me.

VAPreps/Rivalsl.com AA POY in VA

All State honors inlcude
Senior 1st Team DB (Coaches Poll)
Senior 2nd Team RB (Coaches Poll)
Senior 1st Team DB (Associated Press)
Senior VHSCAA All-Star game DB
Junior 2nd Team DB (Associated Press)
Junior Honorable Mention DB (Coaches Poll)
Junior All-State 4x100 (2nd place at States)

14 school records including

Rushing in a Career 5,708
Rushing in a Game 406
TDs in a Season 31
TDs in a Game 6
Points in a Season 186
Points in a Game 36
All Purpose Yards in a Career 6,771

Defense

Tackles in a Career 261
Tackles in a Game 20
Interceptions in a Career 11
Interceptions in a Season 7 4 returned for TDs (all 60-98 yds)
Blocked Kicks in a Career 7
Blocked Kicks in a Season 4
Defensive TDs in a Season 4

Top rusher in teh DC Metro Area iin 2006 (which includes the MD RBs and all the CAC schools)

Excellent Info DRD...No slight intended and certainly glad to have him aboard, especially after knowing more about his background.

Couple of questions for you: Did Derek get interest from schools other than LaSalle or was it more that LaSalle was just a good fit academically, school environment etc.? Also, does he have good hands? As we all know, Mickey really values RBs who can hold onto the ball. If he's got some moves and is sure handed, he can succeed behind our O-line regardless of size. Raymond Hines and Antoine Bolton both proved that. And lastly, did Matthews give any indication of a scholarship offer in the future?

DRocksDad
April 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Excellent Info DRD...No slight intended and certainly glad to have him aboard, especially after knowing more about his background.

Couple of questions for you: Did Derek get interest from schools other than LaSalle or was it more that LaSalle was just a good fit academically, school environment etc.? Also, does he have good hands? As we all know, Mickey really values RBs who can hold onto the ball. If he's got some moves and is sure handed, he can succeed behind our O-line regardless of size. Raymond Hines and Antoine Bolton both proved that. And lastly, did Matthews give any indication of a scholarship offer in the future?

Deric is a walk-on because of the mid-year transfer. A scholly doesn't matter as much because we are in-state but iI suspect he will earn one. He definately can catch a ball out of the backfield as his film shows ( http://www.youtube.com/dericdudinski ) As far as fumbles go, Deric had 9 fumbles in 832 carries in 4 years as a varsity starter. Hhe is more an explosive runner rather than a lateral juker. He also has endurance and tends to wear down a defense by taking 30+ reps a game which would never happen at JMU. He learned this in his freshman and sophomore years when he was only about 160 but behind the largest line his school has ever had. By the way, one of those lineman was Donnie Smith, the transfer at JMU now.

Deric had reasonable interest including W&M, Richomnd & JMU as well as many non-scholly schools like Lehigh, Bucknell and La Salle. Even with all his honors, stats and endless highlights, the scholly offers never came. Personally, I think NoVA (especially AA schools) dont get much respect from the recruiters. Ultimately, he chose La Salle over a JMU walk-on based on three main points. The grants offered, the level of academics at La Salle and the ability to start as a true freshman and be part of turning the program around. We were told they were going to move to either the NEC or Pioneer League this year but didn't think dropping the program was an option they were considering. In the long run it actually helped because he now doesn't have to sit out a year.

My favorite recruiting story is when we went to a junior day camp at Northwestern. They pulled Deric into Head Coach Randy Walker's office afterwards. We talked for a half hour. He loved Deric because, as he said, "your definately a DI scholly athlete. You remind me of myelf when i played." Walker was a 5-9 white TB at Miami Ohio. I'm thinking holy s**t, he may be thinking of having Deric as his "project". My son, in the Big 10 playing agaisnt my alma mater Penn State. Two weeks later Coach Walker died of a heart attack. Deric would not have made the cut for NW academically though. The same likey effected his opportunity at W&M and Richmond. His GPA is high but he had slightly low SATs.

I'm not sure what will come of him at JMU. It was tricky getting him in mid-year. I hope to see him move to safety or get red-shirted this year.