PDA

View Full Version : MSU to play K-State and Minn.

saccat
April 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM
It looks as if the CATS are going to start next season with Kansas State on Sep 6th and then Minnesota the week after.
Tough way to start a season, but it will bring in money for the Stadium remodel and mabey a Indoor practice facility as well.

Hansel
April 1st, 2008, 01:31 PM
OOC

Minnesota (away)
K-State (away)
Adams St DII (home)
S. Dakota first year of transition (home)

GOKATS
April 1st, 2008, 01:32 PM
From MSU-

BOZEMAN, Mont. -- Montana State opens and closes its regular
season against Grizzlies, and in between faces a pair of schools from
BCS leagues, two regional non-league foes, and a challenging Big Sky
slate, MSU Athletic Director Peter Fields announced Tuesday.
The Bobcats' August 30 opener against the Adams State Grizzlies
matches the earliest season-opening date in school history, and the
Bobcats follow that contest with visits to national power Kansas State
(September 6) and Big 10 foe Minnesota (September 13). MSU closes its
non-league slate hosting South Dakota on September 27.
The Bobcats open league play at Idaho State, its most-common
league-opening opponent, then hosts Weber State for Homecoming on
October 11 and Eastern Washington for Family Weekend a week later. The
Bobcats also host Northern Colorado and Portland State in Big Sky games,
visiting Sacramento State and Northern Arizona before the season-ending
Cat-Griz game.

2008 Montana State Football Schedule
Date Opponent, Time, Site
A30 Adams State, 1:05 pm, Bozeman
S6 at Kansas State, TBA, Manhattan, KS
S13 at Minnesota, TBA, Minneapolis, MN
S20 Open
S27 South Dakota (Hall of Fame), 1:05 pm, Bozeman
O4 *at Idaho State, TBA, Pocatello, ID
O11 *Weber State (Homecoming), 1:35 pm, Bozeman
O18 *Eastern Wash. (Family Wkd), 1:05 pm, Bozeman
O25 *at Sacramento State, 2:05 PDT, Sacramento, CA
N1 *Northern Colorado, 12:05 pm, Bozeman
N8 *at Northern Arizona, 3:05 pm, Flagstaff, AZ
N15 *Portland State, 12:05 pm, Bozeman
N22 *at Montana, 12:05 pm, Missoula, MT
*-Big Sky Conference game
All games Mountain Time unless otherwise noted

nwFL Griz
April 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM
Dude, that is brutal. Two non-counters, and two FBS?

Bobcats certainly have a tough road to make the playoffs. Potentially, that schedule requires you guys to win the conference to make the playoffs. All I can say is....good schedule, and good luck to you this year.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
Dude, that is brutal. Two non-counters, and two FBS?

Bobcats certainly have a tough road to make the playoffs. Potentially, that schedule requires you guys to win the conference to make the playoffs. All I can say is....good schedule, and good luck to you this year.

That's about exactly the same thing I was posting on the other site. The AD is making things pretty brutal for Ash.

GOKATS
April 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM
That's about exactly the same thing I was posting on the other site. The AD is making things pretty brutal for Ash.

I do hope we could dump one of the non-counters & schedule an FCS school- no offence intended to South Dakota.

CatFan22
April 1st, 2008, 03:04 PM
We better drop USD or Adam's state. I'm not a happy fan right now.xmadx

CrazyCat
April 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM
Not a big fan of the schedule but it is what it is.

One win out of the fbs games and win the Big Sky, hello playoffs.xthumbsupx

Go Bison
April 1st, 2008, 04:07 PM
Does Montana State ever travel for an OOC game? I don't mean that as smack, just trying to ask the question. It seems to me, that it is either a home game or an FBS game.

Anyway, good luck to the Bobcats. If I am available I might come watch MSU play Minnesota at the dome. Hopefully they can have the same result NDSU had last year.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 1st, 2008, 04:22 PM
I do hope we could dump one of the non-counters & schedule an FCS school- no offence intended to South Dakota.

I would look more at dropping Adams if I were the AD. It might be nice in the future to have a good relationship with them since they will count next year and after and they are relatively close. The pickings are pretty slim for teams within a 1000 miles for all of us out here. Not only that but it would be a real *****ty move to pull on USD since they are already having so much trouble putting together a schedule. They wouldn't be looking to help out MSU at any time in the near future if you guys bailed on that game.

CrazyCat
April 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM

OOC away games
2000 Idaho
2001 Alabama-Birmingham, Washington St.
2002 Stephen F. Austin, Washington St.
2003 Wyoming, Cal Poly
2004 Colorado
2005 Oklahoma St., Cal Poly
2006 Colorado
2007 Texas A&M
2008 Kansas St., Minnesota

Thundar
April 1st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Doesn't look good to win either FBS game, not saying MSU isn't able, but back to back on the road, against the Big 12 and Big 10!!xoopsx

grizband
April 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM

OOC away games
2000 Idaho
2001 Alabama-Birmingham, Washington St.
2002 Stephen F. Austin, Washington St.
2003 Wyoming, Cal Poly
2004 Colorado
2005 Oklahoma St., Cal Poly
2006 Colorado
2007 Texas A&M
2008 Kansas St., Minnesota
I didn't realize the Cats had played an FCS opponent every year since 2000, let alone multiple teams in 3 seasons. Good luck against these opponents Cats, hopefully this doesn't hault your playoff hopes before the season begins.

dakotadan
April 1st, 2008, 08:15 PM
Definately a tough schedule the Cats have there. The AD sure isn't helping out the coach too much.

CrazyCat
April 1st, 2008, 10:11 PM
Definately a tough schedule the Cats have there. The AD sure isn't helping out the coach too much.

Word around the camp fire is that Coach Ash is going to be taking over scheduling.

OB55
April 1st, 2008, 10:28 PM
I think it is a good schedule, even with Adams St., by then it will be a welcome break.

xthumbsupx

CatFan22
April 1st, 2008, 11:53 PM
Word around the camp fire is that Coach Ash is going to be taking over scheduling.

I hope to God you are right.

CrazyCat
April 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
I hope to God you are right.

Ash said he hopes to have schedules in future years finalized before the spring.

And some other interesting quotes on the subject:

"We want to play a tough schedule. We want to play an impressive schedule," said Ash. "Most importantly we want to prepare our team for the Big Sky Conference, which is a tough league. You've got to play a rigorous nonconference schedule in order to do that."

"The Bobcats will receive a guaranteed $300,000 from Minnesota, which won only one game last season, and $350,000 from Kansas State. The Cats got $475,000, a record haul for the school's football program, from Texas A&M."

LINK (http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080402/SPORTS/804020316)

“I enjoy playing competition like that,” MSU all-conference linebacker Bobby Daly said Tuesday afternoon. “It just shows where you are as a team.”

Montana State’s first game against a Big 12 opponent was in 2005, when the Bobcats nearly upset the Cowboys, falling 15-10. That was Daly’s first college game.

“That was an eye opener,” he said, “but once you get on the field, you lose track of the big crowd and the big stadium until it’s all over.”

“From what I’ve heard, a lot of their starters are gone because of eligibility,” Daly said. “I think this will be as good a time as any to play them.”

LINK (http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2008/04/02/bobcats/football/000kstate.txt)