PDA

View Full Version : I think this says it all

bosshogg
October 2nd, 2005, 08:18 AM
SoCon should grab Chants, and Bulldogs

BY GENE SAPAKOFF
Of The Post and Courier Staff

ORANGEBURG--Coastal Carolina showed up in the end zone just in the nick of time to beat South Carolina State. The Chanticleers also arrived Saturday in the Palmetto State limelight with enough momentum to give the Southern Conference little choice.

If it wasn't already clear that Coastal Carolina belongs in the most prestigious NCAA Division I-AA league in the South, its dramatic 24-23 victory over S.C. State made for a fine closing argument.

Appropriately, the game was broadcast on ETV, an educational network. The learned folks in charge of SoCon expansion probably calculated that the excitement on display for three hours at Oliver C. Dawson Bulldog Stadium is a rare commodity.

The SoCon should stop privately quibbling about concerns regarding Coastal Carolina's academic status relative to the top-rated schools in the conference and issue an invitation before the unofficial candidate outgrows the eventual offer.

And while they're at it, SoCon administrators should make a pitch to S.C. State, too, locking up everything that was good about a thrilling game loaded with I-AA playoff implications.

BASEBALL, TOO

Coastal Carolina hurried to a 10-0 lead. S.C. State roared back to go up, 23-10.

Coastal Carolina, with reliable kicker Josh Hoke, passed on a 45-yard field goal attempt that almost proved costly.

S.C. State suffered a blocked extra point that might have cost the game.

Players on both sides agreed: A rivalry is on.

"Hats off to Coastal, they're a pretty good team," Cleveland McCoy, S.C. State's sophomore quarterback and a Baptist Hill High School graduate, said after the Bulldogs fell to 3-1.

The programs will meet again next season in Conway.

"Next year when they come to us, they're going to be ready to do the same thing we did to them this year," said Coastal Carolina running back Jamie Fordham, a Goose Creek High School graduate who rushed for 62 yards.

It makes obvious sense for Coastal Carolina to jump from the Big South Conference to the SoCon, and what a catch. Head coach David Bennett's 3-year-old football program, 4-1 this season, will only get better. The hiring of Buzz Peterson as head coach and ex-Citadel star Ed Conroy as assistant coach should be a big upgrade for the basketball program. Don't forget that Coastal Carolina was a No. 1 seed in the 2005 NCAA Baseball Tournament.

Plus, the advantages of Myrtle Beach for meetings and tournaments.

It's enough to forgive Coastal Carolina for the blinding, bright teal pants worn Saturday.

RIVALRIES GALORE

S.C. State in the SoCon? Why not?

The Bulldogs have been a major part of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference since it was formed in 1971 and a fixture among the "historically black" college sports scene for much longer.

But think of a SoCon that offers annual schedules tangled among The Citadel, Furman, Wofford, S.C. State and Coastal Carolina.

Let's ask S.C. State alumni and fans if they would trade the MEAC, with no rival within the state, for the SoCon and the convenience of three in-state road rivalry games, or four if Coastal Carolina comes aboard.

"That would be nice to play in-state schools," McCoy said when asked about SoCon affiliation. "Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen."

Just look at what the SoCon is missing in McCoy, the most exciting player in the state. He checks off at the line of scrimmage with all the theatrics of Peyton Manning. He pump-fakes the football as adroitly as Donovan McNabb. Most notably, the MEAC's total offense leader Saturday limped through a leg injury and looked as tough as Brett Favre in the process of passing for 134 yards and rushing for 58.

Too bad for McCoy it wasn't quite enough.

Too bad this wasn't a Southern Conference game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gene Sapakoff may be reached by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at 937-5593.

Saint3333
October 2nd, 2005, 10:23 AM
"The SoCon should stop privately quibbling about concerns regarding Coastal Carolina's academic status relative to the top-rated schools in the conference and issue an invitation before the unofficial candidate outgrows the eventual offer."

CCU outgrows programs like Furman, ASU and GSU... :confused:

"Plus, the advantages of Myrtle Beach for meetings and tournaments."

Tournaments would not be moved from Charleston to Myrtle Beach, as Charleston is nicer and a lot easier to get to.

"Just look at what the SoCon is missing in McCoy, the most exciting player in the state."

He's not even the best 1AA QB in the state, ask Furman.

CCU might be the next SoCon member in a couple years, but come on people comments like the ones above are ridiculous and SC State is a school I've never heard in the expansion discussions. Would they really leave the MEAC?

rokamortis
October 2nd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Well - this guy is not a CCU or SC State homer since he is in Charleston - I'm not really sure where he is coming from besides the fact that he covers the SoCon with El Cid.

I think what he is getting at is not outgrowing the programs - but that other opportunities will likely become available as we are becoming a more attractive school to have in a conference. If the CAA splits, I could see them wanting to expand south to appease Ga State and UNC-W.

There are rumors that SC State may leave the MEAC if the conference decides to have a SWAC / MEAC champion and not participate in the I-AA playoffs. Rumors say that they have talked to both the SoCon and Big South about possible future membership.