PDA

View Full Version : SLC Football

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2005, 07:35 AM
I must be honest and all you Bobcat fans can sit back and smile. The convincing win over South Dakota St to me was the first win on the year for the Bobcats that made me have an idea of how they're going to play this seeason. SDSt is a tough team and has played tough so far against Montana and Cal Poly. While one or both of those teams may be on the over-rated side of things this year, the Bobcats took the Jackrabbits out instead of letting them hang around.

Bobcats knew what they had to do and ran the ball. Credit Bailiff and company for that effort last night. His staff knew what was up and they found something they could take advantage of and exploited it. If the Bobcats can prove they can win on the road this year (a problem of Bobcats' past), there is no reason they don't make I-AA playoffs. I hope you guys get that first rounder at home though and have the pockets and reg season wins to play some more at home...

That being said, SLC is a crap shoot year in and year out. Anybody can beat anybody. This conference is strong top to bottom. Each and every fan of each team will tell you that.

After hearing about SELA/Tulane, I think they could spoil the whole darn thing for everyone and the Bobcats have gotta go there. That game can really mess up some Bobcats planning for the playoffs, especially since the Cats have two Div II games on the schedule and that's not a loss that many would've expected. I'm even more pumped for Sam/SELA on CSTV in Huntsville now.

SFA, hit or miss there. We know they put on great games year in and year out with rivals Sam and NW St.

Nicholls has showed some signs. Surprised by how flat they came out this past week.

NW State, we're still in the dark on just like Sam. Played two I-A teams, they both did. Demons won one of those too but they also got shallacked by North Dakota St.

McN, I'm not sure what to make of them without all these delays in their season. My thoughts to the team and the McNeese community.

I'm pumped for SLC football!

JohnStOnge
October 2nd, 2005, 08:06 AM
I hope McNeese can play its conference schedule. Right now I'm wondering if they'll have to cancel the season. Secondarily, I wonder if the NCAA would give players a year of eligibility back if they don't play any more games.

TexasTerror
October 2nd, 2005, 08:22 AM
McNeese just scheduled a "home" game against Texas Southern. I guess that should be viewed as good for you guys seeing that you have a game next week...

exbearkat
October 2nd, 2005, 09:40 AM
The "real" season starts this Saturday. I agree with TT, the SLC is going to be VERY unpredictable - as usual. The SH/NSU game has to be the biggest of the week though. Can't wait to finally see some football again!

slostang
October 2nd, 2005, 10:09 AM
Texas Terror,

I do agree that the SLC is a tough conference top to bottom and Texas State heads the list.

As far as Cal Poly maybe being over-rated, I do not agree on that point. Cal Poly beat Montana State 38-10 who turnrd around the next week and beat NDSU. That is the same NDSU team that throughly beat Northwestern State. I know that doesn't mean we can beat Northwestern State or NDSU, but I think it does show we are a good team. We play NDSU next week and Montana in two weeks so we will see just where Cal Poly is.

BTW Cal Poly beat Texas State last year 38-21 and it would have been worse if it had not poured rain in the second half. Cal Poly put 35 points up in the first half. I know this is a different year and B. Nealy is the real deal, but if last year is any indication the way to beat Texas State is through the air deep. Cal Poly QB was 11-15 for 326 yards and four TDs. He also rushed for 74 yards and a TD. I think Cal Poly earned Texas State respect in that we were set to open the year against Texas State in Texas and they backed out.

My point is not to say how great Cal Poly is, only that I do not think they are over-rated and they are a solid team. Good luck the rest of the season and maybe we will see a SLC team in December.

Pantherpower
October 2nd, 2005, 10:27 AM
No question that Cal-Poly is a great ballclub this year. Very much looking like a playoff participant this year, IMO. :nod:

TxSt02
October 2nd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Texas Terror,

I do agree that the SLC is a tough conference top to bottom and Texas State heads the list.

As far as Cal Poly maybe being over-rated, I do not agree on that point. Cal Poly beat Montana State 38-10 who turnrd around the next week and beat NDSU. That is the same NDSU team that throughly beat Northwestern State. I know that doesn't mean we can beat Northwestern State or NDSU, but I think it does show we are a good team. We play NDSU next week and Montana in two weeks so we will see just where Cal Poly is.

BTW Cal Poly beat Texas State last year 38-21 and it would have been worse if it had not poured rain in the second half. Cal Poly put 35 points up in the first half. I know this is a different year and B. Nealy is the real deal, but if last year is any indication the way to beat Texas State is through the air deep. Cal Poly QB was 11-15 for 326 yards and four TDs. He also rushed for 74 yards and a TD. I think Cal Poly earned Texas State respect in that we were set to open the year against Texas State in Texas and they backed out.

My point is not to say how great Cal Poly is, only that I do not think they are over-rated and they are a solid team. Good luck the rest of the season and maybe we will see a SLC team in December.

I was at this game last year... You guys handed it to us. We can always be beat through the air. I am little concerned about next week against SE LA and their passing attack with Huggins.

For the size of your stadium I was impressed with how loud it got. I think that you guys might have one of the more difficult places to play at for atmoshpere and travel to get to the game.

Cat79
October 3rd, 2005, 08:53 AM
slostang,

From what I heard we didn't back out. We attempted to schedule a different date and the new date would not work with your schedule. We were going to put you into the Kentucky slot. Kentucky was moved to the 2006 schedule.