PDA

View Full Version : Without Transfers, Will the College Miss Out on the Next Kennedy?

Lehigh Football Nation
March 31st, 2008, 09:52 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=without-transfers-will-the-college-miss-&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

When a football player at Northwestern University named Clifton Dawson decided to transfer to the Ivy League in 2003, Harvard was not his first choice.

“At the time, I was giving a lot of consideration to Princeton,” Dawson said last week. “But at the time they had a policy where they were not accepting transfer students for the next two years even though the football staff wanted me there.”

Princeton’s loss was Harvard’s gain. Dawson went on to set the Ivy League single-season rushing record for the Crimson, graduated in 2007, and now plays for the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts

But now that Harvard has followed Princeton’s lead, announcing two weeks ago that it will suspend transfer admissions for the next two years, Dawson’s story raises a question: what potential stars is Harvard going to miss out on?

“That’s a shame,” Dawson said of the new admissions policy, “because Harvard accepts so few transfer students anyway, and the ones that they do accept are particularly exceptional.”

xeyebrowx

This could really have side benefits to the Patriot League if all the other Ivy League schools follow suit...

Ivytalk
March 31st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Maybe Harvard thought it was just getting too crowded, with the admit rate at an all-time low and waitlist admissions likewise down substantially in recent years. Anyway, for every Clifton Dawson, there's a Richard Irvin, the Tulane transfer QB who got hardly any PT behind Fitzpatrick and Pizzotti. I don't think the policy will make much difference.xtwocentsx