PDA

View Full Version : Running up the Score

lugo02
October 1st, 2005, 10:34 PM
On the Harvard broadcast feed today, nearing the end of the game, the announcer insinuated that Lehigh was running up the score, because they scored the final TD while making big pass plays and they continued using the starters on the final drive of the game.

Nearing the end of the Towson/Delaware game the announcers also appears to insinuate that Towson is trying to run up the score on Delaware!

In both cases the announcer did not explicitly accuse either team of running up the score, but the fact that they mention that phase, along with the word un-sportsmanship, is a little disturbing to me.

On the other hand I think Lehigh should have gone for a 2-point conversion on the final TD to make it an even 50 points.

Bub
October 1st, 2005, 11:44 PM
You can't win. :rolleyes: The Davidson announcers accused Drake of having no respect for them when they took a knee(4 times) rather than running a play.

hawkineer
October 2nd, 2005, 08:16 AM
On the Harvard broadcast feed today, nearing the end of the game, the announcer insinuated that Lehigh was running up the score, because they scored the final TD while making big pass plays and they continued using the starters on the final drive of the game.

Nearing the end of the Towson/Delaware game the announcers also appears to insinuate that Towson is trying to run up the score on Delaware!

Two points:
One: I don't think that LU was running up the score on Harvard given LU's ability to blow leads this year. However, I do not know why the 2nd team offense was not on the field during the last possession of the game when all they were trying to do was run out the clock. Lembo kept running Rath and Borda. Great way to risk needless injuries.

Two: I can't imagine how TU could have been accussed of running up the score since they scored in the last minute of the game to take their final lead of the game.

ChickenMan
October 2nd, 2005, 08:20 AM
Two points:
One: I don't think that LU was running up the score on Harvard given LU's ability to blow leads this year. However, I do not know why the 2nd team offense was not on the field during the last possession of the game when all they were trying to do was run out the clock. Lembo kept running Rath and Borda. Great way to risk needless injuries.

Two: I can't imagine how TU could have been accussed of running up the score since they scored in the last minute of the game to take their final lead of the game.

Towson scored the winnng TD with :28 seconds left... but when they did... it felt like they were 'running up' the score... :(

BlueHen2006
October 2nd, 2005, 08:59 AM
Running up the score? Last time I checked, the objective of the game was to score as many points as possible. If 49-24 is running up the score, then where are all the comments in defense of Lock Haven? They lost, in consecutive weeks, 56-0 to JUM and 70-0 to Towson. I don't hear anyone too much criticism when a I-AA team crushes someone at a the D-IIl evel or one of our teams get spanked by a I-A opponent.

Umass74
October 2nd, 2005, 10:08 AM
I was listening to the Delaware feed. I don't remember the Hen announcers saying anything like that.

Since Towson scored in the last minute or so to take the lead, it hardly could be called running up the score :confused:

lugo02
October 2nd, 2005, 12:16 PM
I am not saying that the announcers accused the winning teams of running up the score, but I believe that they needlessly mention the idea of running up the score, just because their teams were on the loosing end.

OL FU
October 2nd, 2005, 02:44 PM
You can't win. :rolleyes: The Davidson announcers accused Drake of having no respect for them when they took a knee(4 times) rather than running a play.

Davidson should be used to it. :)

OL FU
October 2nd, 2005, 02:45 PM
I am not saying that the announcers accused the winning teams of running up the score, but I believe that they needlessly mention the idea of running up the score, just because their teams were on the loosing end.

Lehigh was defending the playoff conferences making sure that Harvard's rank at the end of the year protects the NC. :) Go Lehigh!!!!!

JMU Duke Dog
October 2nd, 2005, 02:47 PM
Harvard people were just upset that they will lose those ridiculous first place votes that they had been receiving in the polls.