PDA

View Full Version : Is week 5 too early to have a Payton frontrunner?

grizband
October 1st, 2005, 09:47 PM
I hate to jinx him, but I just saw the number Ricky Santos put up tonight. He was 28 of 33 for 371 yards, with 5 touchdowns and 1 interception. This gives him 1396 yards through four games (which would make any Montana fan proud, even with our lineage of qbs), with 12 tds and 5 interceptions. I think the most ridiculous stat though is his 73% completion %. What does everyone else think? Any argument to this claim?

TxSt02
October 1st, 2005, 09:50 PM
Barrick Nealy is near the top of the list...

aggie6thman
October 1st, 2005, 09:54 PM
Can't forget about Tony Kays from UCD. The guy can't be stopped, even by I-A Stanfurd! 8 catches away from setting a school record in total catches and it is not even game 5 yet! Double-digit catches in every game to this point! #1 on my list!!

grizband
October 1st, 2005, 09:55 PM
I hadn't heard of him (sorry, I know you guys are good, just hadn't followed the team that closely). He is doing well, although only having around 160 yards today might have hurt him a little. Although the numbers he put up against A&M show that he can probably do it over the long haul.

grizband
October 1st, 2005, 09:56 PM
Wide receivers would have to have an amazing season statistically to leapfrog a quarterback. Im not saying this is how it should be, but quarterbacks usually garner so much attention.

Hoo-ah
October 1st, 2005, 09:56 PM
I watched the game and UNH backed off from throwing after the score got out-of-hand in the 3rd. Santos could've thrown for 600+ yards on VU's Swiss cheese defense. Santos and Ball are the real deal.

grizband
October 1st, 2005, 09:59 PM
They proved they were the real deal last year when the went down to Stateboro and beat Georgia Southern, even when Ball went down with an injury.

Eaglegus2
October 1st, 2005, 10:03 PM
I watched most of the UNH game on CN8 website. Santos is the real deal and the Payton award is his to lose.

UNH was awesome. It makes last years lose a little painless with them doing so well.

I feel that UNH will be an overwhelming choice for #1 in the AGS poll.

grizband
October 1st, 2005, 10:05 PM
Eagle,
How is the GSU offense looking this year with the new QB? How long before we start hearing national acclaim for him?

catbob
October 1st, 2005, 10:05 PM
I agree, it is his award to lose at this point. Thems some crazy stats. ;)

GeauxLions94
October 1st, 2005, 10:08 PM
Barrick Nealy is near the top of the list...

After five games, maybe, but I'm not ready to crown Nealy just yet. :read:

BCisforBobcatTX
October 1st, 2005, 10:08 PM
I hadn't heard of him (sorry, I know you guys are good, just hadn't followed the team that closely). He is doing well, although only having around 160 yards today might have hurt him a little. Although the numbers he put up against A&M show that he can probably do it over the long haul.

Also got 121 on the ground with a td. He's the real deal. If he keeps his game at this level he's certainly going to be in the running for the Payton Award and I think he's a lock for the Southland PoY honors. That is IF he maintains this level of play.

GeauxLions94
October 1st, 2005, 10:09 PM
I think he's a lock for the Southland PoY honors.

After the first five weeks ... Agreed!

Hoo-ah
October 1st, 2005, 10:10 PM
They proved they were the real deal last year when the went down to Stateboro and beat Georgia Southern, even when Ball went down with an injury.

What I meant was that Ball makes Santos even better then he already is. Without Ball I'm not sure if Santos would be in the running for the Payton this season... If Ball gets hurt again and Santos keeps playing like he is right now then I think he is in the top 10 today.

grizband
October 1st, 2005, 10:14 PM
Sorry, no smack intended there. I wish I could get a television feed of UNH out here in Missoula. Anyone know if they ever play on DirectTV?

Eaglegus2
October 1st, 2005, 10:16 PM
Eagle,
How is the GSU offense looking this year with the new QB? How long before we start hearing national acclaim for him?

Today, his passing was more accurate than previous games. His read on the defense beffore the pitch is getting better. Jayson went over 100 yards for the 5th time.

I don't know about national acclaim. Remember, he has two more years to perfect himself in the option.

Looking ahead if we may, next year we will have a redshirt freshman named Patrick Pascuel. He will be a great fullback. Taller than Austin with better speed and moves laterally as well as his straight ahead power. I believe he is 6' and weighs 210.

Hansel
October 1st, 2005, 10:17 PM
Sorry, no smack intended there. I wish I could get a television feed of UNH out here in Missoula. Anyone know if they ever play on DirectTV?
They play several games on CN8, which is available as a free video stream over the internet (I watched them play 'Nova today)

grizband
October 1st, 2005, 10:18 PM
Thanks Hansel. You have a link to that site?

Eaglegus2
October 1st, 2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks Hansel. You have a link to that site?

www.cn8.com

select the New England feed

TxSt02
October 1st, 2005, 10:58 PM

and 120 yards rushing!

McNeese75
October 2nd, 2005, 12:36 AM
After the first five weeks ... Agreed!

Only one problem here, he still has to go through the Southland :D

grizband
October 2nd, 2005, 12:42 AM
Winning throught the SLC could help him out though. Look at Bruce Eugene a couple of years ago. He put up numbers that anyone would be jealous of, but since he didnt win all of his games, his numbers weren't considered as high. Then you take a guy like John Edwards. He never put up gaudy numbers, but all he did was win, without throwing a lot of interceptions. What Im trying to say, is that if he can put up similar numbers against the good competition that exists in the SLC, then it may boost his chances.

Catmendue2
October 2nd, 2005, 07:12 AM
Winning throught the SLC could help him out though. Look at Bruce Eugene a couple of years ago. He put up numbers that anyone would be jealous of, but since he didnt win all of his games, his numbers weren't considered as high. Then you take a guy like John Edwards. He never put up gaudy numbers, but all he did was win, without throwing a lot of interceptions. What Im trying to say, is that if he can put up similar numbers against the good competition that exists in the SLC, then it may boost his chances.

Bruce Eugene was 34/50 for 618 passing yards in a 50-7 win against PV

Reed Rothchild
October 2nd, 2005, 10:24 AM
Eric Sanders for UNI has to be at least top 5. One of the best in the nation in pass efficiency. Then, yesterday vs WIU he proved he can scramble and run it with a 68 yard td on the ground. 1st 2 games were against Drake and a DII but, he put up solid numbers against Iowa and had a solid performance in the gateway opener. Look for more good things to come.

Rush: 26 att for 161 yds (thats 3rd on the team right now)
Pass: 221.27 efficiency rating
63/86 (73.3%) for 1107 yards with only 1 int.
11 tds

And he didn't play most of the 2nd half in 2 blowout games!

Pantherpower
October 2nd, 2005, 10:37 AM
Eric Sanders for UNI has to be at least top 5. One of the best in the nation in pass efficiency. Then, yesterday vs WIU he proved he can scramble and run it with a 68 yard td on the ground. 1st 2 games were against Drake and a DII but, he put up solid numbers against Iowa and had a solid performance in the gateway opener. Look for more good things to come.

Thanks for posting this, Reed. Sanders shouldn't be taking a back seat to any of the names mentioned so far. No question there are some very talented QB's in I-AA right now, but Sanders needs to be included with that group, IMO. :nod:

Baldy
October 2nd, 2005, 11:48 AM
Today, his passing was more accurate than previous games. His read on the defense beffore the pitch is getting better. Jayson went over 100 yards for the 5th time.

I don't know about national acclaim. Remember, he has two more years to perfect himself in the option.

Looking ahead if we may, next year we will have a redshirt freshman named Patrick Pascuel. He will be a great fullback. Taller than Austin with better speed and moves laterally as well as his straight ahead power. I believe he is 6' and weighs 210.

Who in the hell is Pascuel??
It's Paschall, you drunk. xlolx

JMU1992
October 2nd, 2005, 11:59 AM
Here's the Numbers for JMU's Justin Rascati.

54-74 (73% completion percentage!) for 834 yards (over 11 yards an attempt!), for 9 touchdowns and 1 interception, and an astronimcal 205.08 efficiency rating.

McNeese75
October 2nd, 2005, 12:00 PM

I agree, if Tx State runs the table in the SLC and he performs well he should definitly be a top contender. I am a little skeptical (just a little, not much, lol) that he can run the SLC. :D

MU Alum
October 2nd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Miles Austin should be on the Payton Watch List. His numbers are up there with anyone in the country and he has dominated his opponents and also put up big numbers against Lehigh. We had a Buchanon Watch player two years ago. What gives.

CKelly
October 2nd, 2005, 06:31 PM
Tony Kays from UCD is BY FAR the best receiver in the nation through four games. That would put him as at least a major canididate. He has double digit catches in every game this season (including Stanford, and #1 UNH) and 100-yards every game.

What's scary is that UCD had a bye last weekend and he still leads the nation by 13 catches and is four total yards (597) behind the leading receiver at 150 per game.

Chi Panther
October 2nd, 2005, 06:36 PM
I have seen Tony Kays play on TV and agree......statistically he is the best WR in I-AA......but not necessarily the best pro-talent WR.

Terrance Freeney, RB for UNI was on the list at the begining of the year.....I think he should be removed and replaced with our QB Eric Sanders. The kid is only a Soph but is silly good. One surprising characteristic is how FAST he is.

grizband
October 2nd, 2005, 07:21 PM
I saw those stats after I made that post about Eugene last night. I was too tired to edit the post, but those are some awesome numbers. If there was a comeback player of the year for I-AA, I would say Eugene would win that going away.

BCisforBobcatTX
October 2nd, 2005, 10:23 PM
I agree, if Tx State runs the table in the SLC and he performs well he should definitly be a top contender. I am a little skeptical (just a little, not much, lol) that he can run the SLC. :D

I'd think that you wouldn't be too too skeptical considering a Texas State team that wasn't as good as this year's OWNED your Cowgirls at "The Hole" last year. I got two numbers for ya: 54-27. Nealy hardly even played in that game, too. I'd like to apologize in advance for the spanking McNeese is going to receive when they come to San Marcos this year.

colgate13
October 3rd, 2005, 08:25 AM
He most likely won't win, but Steve Silva from Holy Cross should get on that list. He is a multiple threat on offense. So far through 5 games:

- 430 yds rushing on 93 attempts for an average of 4.5 yds per carry. Averaging 85 yards a game. 5 rushing TDs.
-He's also 196 yards receiving, averaging 39 per game. He's got 1 receiving TD too.
-He's also got 114 yards in punt returns, averaging 11.6 a return and he's got 248 yards on kick returns, averaging 27.6 a return. One kickoff returned for a touchdown.
-Finally, he's thrown three passes, two of them for touchdowns.

He's not going to lead any category, but the combination of all is impressive.

lucchesicourt
October 3rd, 2005, 08:39 AM
The Payton award is not about pro talent- it is for D1AA athletes, and nothing more.

HenHouse1
October 3rd, 2005, 09:16 AM
santos is my choice so far seeing the way he played saturday. But someone else to consider (maybe not to win but atleast to be in the top couple) is (Yes what a surprise) Super-soph Omar Cuff... don't have his stats at the moment but he has gone over 100 yards each game this year, and had a nice game in a loss on saturday.

GannonFan
October 3rd, 2005, 09:23 AM
Bruce Eugene was 34/50 for 618 passing yards in a 50-7 win against PV

Hey, I think Eugene is easily one of the top 5 players in all of IAA, but what's he doing staying in a game long enough to throw 50 passes when they're playing Prairie View and the game was that much of a rout (sorry, that's redundant, every game against PV is a rout)? That's a bit of stat padding if I've ever seen padding before.

Dukester
October 3rd, 2005, 09:46 AM
I've not seen Santos play this year, but his stats are awesome and he's on the #1 team so at this point no arguement from me he's the frontrunner.

I have a question.....

Justin Rascati (JMU) after 4 games.
efficiency rating - 205.8
Passing - 54-74 or 73%
TDs - 9
Ints - 1
Yards - 834
AVG Yds per completion - 15.44

Ricky Santos (UHN) after 4 games.
efficiency rating - 175.08
Passing - 107-145 or 73%
TDs - 12
Ints - 5
Yards - 1,396
AVG Yds per completion - 13.40

Who's had the better year so far? UHN will throw more then JMU. How much should the be taken into account? Is it quantity or quality that make the difference.

Being from JMU - I'm very biased, but what do you guys think? :confused:

eagleskins
October 3rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
I've not seen Santos play this year, but his stats are awesome and he's on the #1 team so at this point no arguement from me he's the frontrunner.

I have a question.....

Passing - 54-74 or 73%
TDs - 9
Ints - 1
Yards - 834

Passing - 107-145 or 73%
TDs - 12
Ints - 5
Yards - 1,396

Who's had the better year so far? UHN will throw more then JMU. How much should the be taken into account? Is it quantity or quality that make the difference.

Jayson Foster has stepped into the race. 5 straight games over 100 yards rushing.

CatFan22
October 3rd, 2005, 03:31 PM
As far as Payton favorites go, who would be your MVP? I guess I'm a little biased, but I would say Lulay from MSU or Meyer from EWU.

blackfordpu
October 3rd, 2005, 06:18 PM
I'd think that you wouldn't be too too skeptical considering a Texas State team that wasn't as good as this year's OWNED your Cowgirls at "The Hole" last year. I got two numbers for ya: 54-27. Nealy hardly even played in that game, too. I'd like to apologize in advance for the spanking McNeese is going to receive when they come to San Marcos this year.

Getting a little offended there bobcattx? No need to get personal here, take it to the smack board.

breezy
October 3rd, 2005, 07:00 PM
Colgate 13 --

Thanks for the plug for Steve Silva of Holy Cross. He's currently #1 in the country with 197.6 all-purpose yards per game and was selected the National Special Teams Player of the Week this week for his performance in the victory over Yale on Saturday. Yale coach was quoted as saying "Their best player beat us."

It should also be pointed out that two of Silva's games were against ranked teams -- Harvard and Delaware.

I am sure there are many worthy candidates on the List, but I think Steve Silva deserves a place among them.

McNeese75
October 4th, 2005, 12:44 AM

Gee, BC, did you think up all 30 of your posts by yourself? I am skeptical and will remain so until the Cats run the SLC (something they have NEVER managed to do). I accept your advance apology just make sure I know where you will be at the game so I can return the apology if your team does not quite live up to that mouth of yours.

GannonFan
October 4th, 2005, 09:17 AM

I have a question.....

Passing - 54-74 or 73%
TDs - 9
Ints - 1
Yards - 834

Passing - 107-145 or 73%
TDs - 12
Ints - 5
Yards - 1,396

I don't think there's any comparison as I go with Santos easily. I think UNH has played a harder schedule to date (UC Davis, Towson, Dartmouth, and nova vs JMU's of Lock Haven, Coastal, Del St, and Hofstra) so there's some factor there. Also, playing in different offenses is a big deal - JMU is first and foremost a running team - take the Hofstra game for example - Rascati threw all of 10 passes in that game - why? Because JMU ran the ball 50 times and had 320 yards of rushing. It's easy not to throw picks and get some big yardage when you run 5 times more than you pass - at those rates your offense starts looking like GSU's spread option. Rascati is almost a role player on JMU's offense whereas Santos is the UNH offense. And I also look at what the QB's do when the team really needs them - JMU only had 190 rushing yards against Coastal (only game they had less than 300 yards of rushing offense btw) and Rascati was unable to help - only 171 passing yards and no TD's. At UC Davis, Santos had no rushing attack (just 81 yards) but still found a way to put up 336 yards of offense through the air, including the last drive in the last minute when led them on a 84 play drive with all passes, including the TD. And before you say Rascati can run with the ball, Rascati has 72 net rushing yards and 2 TD's versus Santos with 60 net rushing yards and 3 TD's - without the net losses (the sacks hurt Santos more as he passes twice more than Rascati) Santos has more yards.

I like Rascati and I think he compliments JMU's offense well, but he's not asked to do very much nor does he have to - the offense is at least 75% run and at times more so. Santos is the show at UNH - without him UNH is an under .500 team.

Reed Rothchild
October 4th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Rush: 26 att for 161 yds (thats 3rd on the team right now)
Pass: 221.27 efficiency rating
63/86 (73.3%) for 1107 yards with only 1 int.
11 tds

And he didn't play most of the 2nd half in 2 blowout games!

I wanted to move this to the top of the thread because Sanders is worth serious consideration.

Chi Panther
October 4th, 2005, 03:00 PM
No worries Reed.....give it two more weeks and it will sort itself out.....

Pass: 221.27 efficiency rating....that is just silly especially considering playing at Iowa who has a 21 game Home winning streak intact.

igo4uni
October 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM
No worries Reed.....give it two more weeks and it will sort itself out.....

Pass: 221.27 efficiency rating....that is just silly especially considering playing at Iowa who has a 21 game Home winning streak intact.

If Sanders keeps playing the way he has been, he will soon be near the top of everyone's Payton list.

http://media.panthernation.com/photos/4/32/600x400.aspx
Eric Sanders did well vs. the Iowa Hawkeyes

peace

igo4uni

Catmendue2
October 4th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Hey, I think Eugene is easily one of the top 5 players in all of IAA, but what's he doing staying in a game long enough to throw 50 passes when they're playing Prairie View and the game was that much of a rout (sorry, that's redundant, every game against PV is a rout)? That's a bit of stat padding if I've ever seen padding before.

BRUGENE, hasn't played but 3 and one half games in two years, he needs the reps for league play. Spears is doing Bruce a favor leaving him out there and Burce is testing himself under fire. I believe the reps are more important than how many point the opponent has. Grambling never complained last year when team left their starters in for three quarters, GRAMBLING simply got better and moved on. The backup quarterback has a full year under his belt and was freshman of the year in the league in 2004. his backup is actually the one getting clean up duty and he is not quite ready yet. Bruce will and should play every down he can get. Bruce's Motivation is getting better and playing time is needed to accomplish that. ;)

pete4256
October 4th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned running backs.

If we decide to do so, let's not overlook Georgia Southern's Jermaine Austin.

Austin is a senior who has the pedigree you'd like in a Payton winner--he's rushed for nearly 4500 yards in his career to this point, and he won the Socon POTY award in 2003. Excepting injury, he'll pass 5,000 easily. Remember 15 years ago when nobody did that?

This year, he's gone for 667 in five games, with an astonishing 8.0 yards per carry. That's incredible for a guy going between the tackles every play.

And he is NOT just a product of his system. Those who've seen him (especially on film) know he's an elite back in I-AA. His ability to bounce, twist, and bull his way for 6 or 7 tough yards where others would get 3 are unmatched in I-AA. Plus he's broken a lot of long runs this year.

He should definitely be considered a candidate, especially if GSU can get him the ball more often.

I think that folks around the country have tended to overlook JA's ability because of his predecessor, but take another look folks--he's the real deal.

PantherMan
October 5th, 2005, 01:13 AM
If Sanders keeps playing the way he has been, he will soon be near the top of everyone's Payton list.

http://media.panthernation.com/photos/4/32/600x400.aspx
Eric Sanders did well vs. the Iowa Hawkeyes

peace

igo4uni

Yeah, the kid's only pick was a dropped pass that his receiver tipped into the air at Iowa. It was actually quite a good pass, which should have been caught. Sanders has probably overachieved a little thus far, but let's hope he can keep things going. It helps when you have 5 or 6 threats to pass to, and two very talented running backs behind you of course... :)

PIRATETIZED1
October 5th, 2005, 03:23 AM
I also watched UNH & Santos vs. Ga. Southern....and was "impressed" to say the least.

Having said that...I'm looking at Erik Meyer, QB for Eastern Washington...it looks like he has thrown for 1368 yds thus far.

Do not be surprised if he surpasses Santos this season. You have to consider Meyer at this time. I realize there's alot of football yet to be played.

PIRATETIZED
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

umassfan
October 5th, 2005, 04:22 AM
Jayson Foster has stepped into the race. 5 straight games over 100 yards rushing.
Anyone for GSU can get over 100 yards a game... its not the player its the system.

pete4256
October 5th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Have you seen either Foster or Austin play?

Chaz Williams was an excellent GSU QB. He weighed 215 and ran a sub 4.4 40 (for NFL scouts--I'm not making it up). But how many 100 yard games did he post last year? One? Two?

I'm pretty sure that either of our two main runners this year could post monster stats for any other running team. Regardless of his system, JA is most likely the best rb in I-AA. Foster most likely runs better than any other I-AA quarterback.

blueballs
October 5th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Foster most likely runs better than any other I-AA quarterback.

If there is another QB in all of college football who totes the rock better than Foster I haven't seen him. Put Foster on a team like Furman and line him up in the back of an I formation with a big FB and he'd go for 150+ every game. The guy is a homerun threat every time he touches the ball.

Tod
October 5th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Just informational for the two Big Sky possibilities:

PASSING GP Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Erik Meyer 4 154.57 149-95-3 63.8 1368 8 57 342.0

PASSING GP-GS Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Travis Lulay 5-5 138.55 141-88-4 62.4 1059 8 55 211.8

Both respectable, but too many QBs right now with outstanding stats. Not too early to name a front-runner, buy way too early to make predictions, IMO.

:) :)

AppGuy04
October 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM
If there is another QB in all of college football who totes the rock better than Foster I haven't seen him. Put Foster on a team like Furman and line him up in the back of an I formation with a big FB and he'd go for 150+ every game. The guy is a homerun threat every time he touches the ball.

yes, Richie Williams, check the stats, he's App State's leading rusher in just about every game, not to mention a 3,000 yard passer

Black and Gold Express
October 5th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Wide receivers would have to have an amazing season statistically to leapfrog a quarterback. Im not saying this is how it should be, but quarterbacks usually garner so much attention.

Last year's top WR finished third in the Payton vote, as an example of this...

Black and Gold Express
October 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Anyone for GSU can get over 100 yards a game... its not the player its the system.

The system helps, but it's the player as much as the system. If the triple option system is clicking though, it will I believe make a very good player look all-world. But it takes a very good player to make it happen for sure.

eagleskins
October 6th, 2005, 12:25 AM
yes, Richie Williams, check the stats, he's App State's leading rusher in just about every game, not to mention a 3,000 yard passer

Wow that was dumb. Foster is the fastest QB GSU has ever had. Williams hasn't hit a 100 yards this year. Foster has done it every game. I would put Foster's 4.3 speed up against Williams 4.6 anyday.

mikebigg
October 10th, 2005, 10:56 AM

A lot of factors involved with that one...
1) Friction between the two head coaches
2) "Alleged" Cheap shots during the game by PV players
3) Bruce needed the work...missed last season due to injury plus 1 cancel this year
4) PVU stayed in press coverage
5) GSU fans demanding "blowout" wins this year

Blame me on the latter one...I am one of the fans in favor of putting up big numbers this year. We were the recipients of a lot of smack last year and I'm anxious to run the score up and return the favor. Might not be the right attitude, but I wanna smash all my good SWAC brethren. But it's all love (lol).

eaglesrthe1
October 10th, 2005, 11:10 AM
3) Bruce needed the work...missed last season due to injury plus 1 cancel this year

That's reason enough right there.

eaglesrthe1
October 10th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Have you seen either Foster or Austin play?

Chaz Williams was an excellent GSU QB. He weighed 215 and ran a sub 4.4 40 (for NFL scouts--I'm not making it up). But how many 100 yard games did he post last year? One? Two?

I'm pretty sure that either of our two main runners this year could post monster stats for any other running team. Regardless of his system, JA is most likely the best rb in I-AA. Foster most likely runs better than any other I-AA quarterback.

Foster and Austin will have the same problem this year that Chaz and Austin had in the past. Both can have excellent seasons, both can get some notice, neither can win the Payton. There is only one football on a field... and that ain't enough to go around. Nice problem for GSU to have.

ericappstate
October 16th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Williams hasn't hit a 100 yards this year. Foster has done it every game.

When you run the option every single play it isn't all that difficult to get 100 yards.

catbob
October 16th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Lulay had himself a fine game:

Lulay was 38/55 (69%) for 384 yards 4 TDs and 0 INTS
50 more on the ground, for a total of 434 yards of offense.