PDA

View Full Version : Savannah St release schedule

nwFL Griz
March 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM
2008 Savannah St schedule (http://www.savstate.edu/Athletics/football/2008/08_0328_Schedule.html)

Ah, the dreaded road trip to a lower division school....three times!

EKU05
March 29th, 2008, 11:12 PM
These guys need a conference like Olson twins need a cheeseburger.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 29th, 2008, 11:34 PM
First year coach taking over a down program and doing what needs to be done! Not mad at him one bit!!! xbowx

Baldy
March 29th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Nov. 8 Edward Waters College Camden County, Ga.

Why? xconfusedx

Edward Waters is a DIII (I think) out of Jacksonville, FL. Kingsland, GA is about 30 miles north of Jacksonville and about 100 miles south of Savannah. Very strange place to play a college football game.

Even though Gilman Stadium in Kingsland is a high school staduim, these two couldn't fill it up if they offered free diplomas for the first 15,000 fans.

What's really sad is neither of those two teams will be the best team to play in that stadium next year. Camden County is a AAAAA powerhouse and could probably beat either team rather easily. xlolx xwhistlex ;)

mvemjsunpx
March 30th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Nov. 8 Edward Waters College Camden County, Ga.

Why? xconfusedx

Edward Waters is a DIII (I think) out of Jacksonville, FL. Kingsland, GA is about 30 miles north of Jacksonville and about 100 miles south of Savannah. Very strange place to play a college football game.

Even though Gilman Stadium in Kingsland is a high school staduim, these two couldn't fill it up if they offered free diplomas for the first 15,000 fans.

What's really sad is neither of those two teams will be the best team to play in that stadium next year. Camden County is a AAAAA powerhouse and could probably beat either team rather easily. xlolx xwhistlex ;)

Edward Waters is NAIA, so it's not quite as bad as DIII.

Why?? Because Savannah needs all the chances to win they can get. However, even this won't be easy seeing as the Tigers lost to EWC at home last year, 24-7.

dgreco
March 30th, 2008, 08:19 AM
i feel bad for that program. no conference is the death of their athletic programs.

MplsBison
March 30th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I thought there was a rule that said FCS members had to schedule at least 9 DI teams a year?

Baldy
March 30th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Edward Waters is NAIA, so it's not quite as bad as DIII.

Why?? Because Savannah needs all the chances to win they can get. However, even this won't be easy seeing as the Tigers lost to EWC at home last year, 24-7.

I know why they are playing Edward Waters. My question is why in Kingsland, GA.

UAalum72
March 30th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I thought there was a rule that said FCS members had to schedule at least 9 DI teams a year?
No, they must play nine games a year, and at least half must be against D-I opponents.

MplsBison
March 30th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Oh, thanks.

TexasTerror
March 30th, 2008, 10:45 AM
First year coach taking over a down program and doing what needs to be done! Not mad at him one bit!!! xbowx

This schedule is ridiculous. I do not care if you are in a conference or not, traveling to three sub-Div I teams. I thought Texas Southern was bad...but this is awful! xnonox

eaglesrthe1
March 30th, 2008, 10:57 AM
This schedule is ridiculous. I do not care if you are in a conference or not, traveling to three sub-Div I teams. I thought Texas Southern was bad...but this is awful! xnonox

I think that it's a good schedule for the state that the SSU football program is in. This coach is taking over a program on the brink of collapse, where the opportunity to get some wins are more important to it's small fan base than for their need for non-interested parties to approve of their SOS. The need to travel no doubt arises out of the lack of funds to pay for the other teams to visit.

I doubt that they are worried about not making the playoffs with their lack of div I wins.

MplsBison
March 30th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Agreed.

Any program, no matter how illustrious their past, will fold without wins.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 30th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I think that it's a good schedule for the state that the SSU football program is in. This coach is taking over a program on the brink of collapse, where the opportunity to get some wins are more important to it's small fan base than for their need for non-interested parties to approve of their SOS. The need to travel no doubt arises out of the lack of funds to pay for the other teams to visit.

I doubt that they are worried about not making the playoffs with their lack of div I wins.

Be prepared to receive hate mail from TTT. xrulesx

3rd Coast Tiger
March 30th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Agreed.

Any program, no matter how illustrious their past, will fold without wins.

You too. xrulesx

NoCoDanny
March 30th, 2008, 03:26 PM
This schedule could be easier, we're not on it for example.

terrierbob
March 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Has SSU ever been in a conference.

UAalum72
March 30th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Has SSU ever been in a conference.
Not in Division I
1929-1961 Southeastern Athletic Conference (Small college ?)

1969-1999 Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference D-II

Eaglesrus
March 30th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Not in Division I
1929-1961 Southeastern Athletic Conference (Small college ?)

1969-1999 Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference D-II

And they desperately need to go back to D-II

th0m
March 31st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Dear lord what an abominous schedule. But I understand the need for a win. Do they not have their own stadium or something, since they play at two different venues in Savannah?

gophoenix
March 31st, 2008, 07:33 AM
Dear lord what an abominous schedule. But I understand the need for a win. Do they not have their own stadium or something, since they play at two different venues in Savannah?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Ted+Wright+Stadium,+Savannah,+GA&ie=UTF8&ll=32.027807,-81.06848&spn=0.004912,0.009452&t=h&z=17

Ted Wright stadium, 7,500 seat on campus stadium. Saw Elon play here when we needed a game after someone backed out on us.

Savannah State needs moral victories right now. If this schedule gives it to them to try and get their football program back on track, then I fully support it.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 31st, 2008, 11:01 AM
Savannah State needs moral victories right now. If this schedule gives it to them to try and get their football program back on track, then I fully support it.

You too! xlolx

NorCalJack
March 31st, 2008, 02:09 PM
I actually feel sorry for SSU. They moved up to D-1 a while ago and they still are independant. They don't have a conference for any of their other sports either. SDSU was independant in other sports for a few years and it sucked. SDSU, NDSU, Cal-Poly, UC-Davis, Southern Utah and Northern Colorado formed the Great West football conference and we were extremely fortunate to have them on our schedule every year. But if you talk to some USD (South Dakota not San Diego) fans they feel slighted to be in the Great West. USD does not understand how fortunate they are, they could end up with a schedule like Savannah St. after moving up 9 years ago.

Keep fighting Savannah, your day will come and you will be added to a conference someday.

Go State!!!
Go Jacks!!!

gophoenix
March 31st, 2008, 04:37 PM
I actually feel sorry for SSU. They moved up to D-1 a while ago and they still are independant. They don't have a conference for any of their other sports either. SDSU was independant in other sports for a few years and it sucked. SDSU, NDSU, Cal-Poly, UC-Davis, Southern Utah and Northern Colorado formed the Great West football conference and we were extremely fortunate to have them on our schedule every year. But if you talk to some USD (South Dakota not San Diego) fans they feel slighted to be in the Great West. USD does not understand how fortunate they are, they could end up with a schedule like Savannah St. after moving up 9 years ago.

Keep fighting Savannah, your day will come and you will be added to a conference someday.

Go State!!!
Go Jacks!!!

Only problem is, the conference they want doesn't want them. And it has to be a major hurt to their ego/self worth to see Winston-Salem State and NC Central move up and piratically waltz into the MEAC.

terrierbob
March 31st, 2008, 05:10 PM
And they desperately need to go back to D-II

Agreed. It's hard on those kids' psyches to lose, have very little leadership, etc. I just hope they win a couple of the non-Div. I games.

Libertine
March 31st, 2008, 05:38 PM
it has to be a major hurt to their ego/self worth to see Winston-Salem State and NC Central move up and piratically waltz into the MEAC.

One had a wooden leg and the other was humming an old sea shanty. Strange way to enter a conference. xsmiley_wix

Eaglesrus
March 31st, 2008, 06:08 PM
I actually feel sorry for SSU. They moved up to D-1 a while ago and they still are independant.......Go State!!!
Go Jacks!!!

I can't feel sorry for them because they chose to move up when it was painfully obvious to anyone who knew anything about their program that they weren't ready to do so. It's a shame and the fault of a previous administration; I just hope that their new president will see the light and takes them back where they can develop into a more competitive program. I'd be willing to bet my whole fortune (that's right, all $10.00) that it will never happen in the FCS as we now know it.

poly51
March 31st, 2008, 06:36 PM
The main thing for the football program to do at this point is survive. I would assume that is their focus right now.

bobbythekidd
March 31st, 2008, 06:41 PM
I can't feel sorry for them because they chose to move up when it was painfully obvious to anyone who knew anything about their program that they weren't ready to do so. It's a shame and the fault of a previous administration; I just hope that their new president will see the light and takes them back where they can develop into a more competitive program. I'd be willing to bet my whole fortune (that's right, all $10.00) that it will never happen in the FCS as we now know it.
It goes beyond football. They are in over their heads in other sports too.

The Savannah Morning news had a story last year about their basketball program having 50 or 100 (can't remember) straight Div-I losses. Talk about tough on the ego.xnonono2x

UAalum72
March 31st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gophoenix http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/techtwo/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=907539#post907539)
it has to be a major hurt to their ego/self worth to see Winston-Salem State and NC Central move up and piratically waltz into the MEAC.

One had a wooden leg and the other was humming an old sea shanty. Strange way to enter a conference. xsmiley_wix
Not strange if they thought they needed a vote from Hampton to get in.xlolx

813Jag
March 31st, 2008, 07:59 PM
It goes beyond football. They are in over their heads in other sports too.

The Savannah Morning news had a story last year about their basketball program having 50 or 100 (can't remember) straight Div-I losses. Talk about tough on the ego.xnonono2x
Their basketball team did have one bright spot this year beating Southern Miss, but on the other hand they did have that four point half.

gophoenix
April 1st, 2008, 08:59 AM

And that's why I feel bad for them. Few of the people who made this decision are left. Now the admins, coaches and fans have to somehow dig out of this.

I guess they could move back to D-II. I only know of three schools who have voluntarily returned down to a lower level. Two are in Georgia (Armstrong and Augusta State) and the other was Birmingham Southern who went from NAIA to D-I, then down to D-III and started football.

All three were Big South schools. But, I guess it could happen.

813Jag
April 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM
They got caught up in the DI move just like Morris Brown did. When they got there they realized they had no place to go.

mrklean
April 1st, 2008, 09:44 AM
Morris Brown College wanted to go into the SWAC and SSU wanted to go into the MEAC.

At the time SSU was on suspended and the MEAC would not touch them and Morris Brown had to wait three years until the SWAC would look at them.

My grandparents(fathers side),mother, cousin, and Wife all graduated from Moris Brown College. Its sad what happened to the school.

813Jag
April 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM
Morris Brown College wanted to go into the SWAC and SSU wanted to go into the MEAC.

At the time SSU was on suspended and the MEAC would not touch them and Morris Brown had to wait three years until the SWAC would look at them.

My grandparents(fathers side),mother, cousin, and Wife all graduated from Moris Brown College. Its sad what happened to the school.
The SWAC wanted Morris Brown but when it came time to pull the trigger they changed their minds. I remember Southern played them in football and basketball. Really the SWAC wanted the Atlanta market, Morris Brown jumped and got caught in a bad spot.

nwFL Griz
April 1st, 2008, 10:15 AM
So any chance the MEAC will eventually admit SSU?

813Jag
April 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM
So any chance the MEAC will eventually admit SSU?
Personally I don't think so.

Eaglesrus
April 1st, 2008, 10:57 AM
And that's why I feel bad for them. Few of the people who made this decision are left. Now the admins, coaches and fans have to somehow dig out of this.

I guess they could move back to D-II. I only know of three schools who have voluntarily returned down to a lower level. Two are in Georgia (Armstrong and Augusta State) and the other was Birmingham Southern who went from NAIA to D-I, then down to D-III and started football.

All three were Big South schools. But, I guess it could happen.

I don't know why they couldn't move back to D-II. I'm relatively sure that they currently fund fewer athletic scholarships than D-II allows. I don't see how they are ever going to raise the money needed to compete at the FCS level, considering everything from the fact that they have a relatively small alumni base to the fact that this year they are playing a lower division team at a neutral site that is a high school football stadium. It's also my opinion that they will never really get any significant local support outside of the alumni due to there being so many loyalties to other programs, i.e. UGA and GSU. All of their athletic programs struggle, except perhaps baseball, and as much as I hate to say it I think that their best solution might be to give up football and concentrate their resources on basketball. I say that even though I am a SoCon supporter that has some heartburn about having some of those type programs in our conference. Anyway, I hope their new coaching staff can work miracles, but I just don't see it.

mrklean
April 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM
The SWAC wanted Morris Brown but when it came time to pull the trigger they changed their minds. I remember Southern played them in football and basketball. Really the SWAC wanted the Atlanta market, Morris Brown jumped and got caught in a bad spot.

The SWAC did Morris Brown wrong!!! I had a friend who was a coach at MB. He told me that they were moving up to go into the SWAC. I bet you that someone from the SWAC told MB, hey, move up and in about three years, we will let you into the SWAC.

UAalum72
April 1st, 2008, 11:30 AM
Remember, Morris Brown's problems were a lot bigger than athletics. I don't think membership in the SWAC would have offset embezzlement and fraud by the school president.

813Jag
April 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM
The SWAC did Morris Brown wrong!!! I had a friend who was a coach at MB. He told me that they were moving up to go into the SWAC. I bet you that someone from the SWAC told MB, hey, move up and in about three years, we will let you into the SWAC.
The SWAC office wanted them but the presidents were against it.

813Jag
April 1st, 2008, 12:15 PM
Remember, Morris Brown's problems were a lot bigger than athletics. I don't think membership in the SWAC would have offset embezzlement and fraud by the school president.
Joining the SWAC would not have done anything for their issues, but those issues became public knowledge after their unsucessful attempt to join the SWAC. The SWAC was interested around 1999-2001.