PDA

View Full Version : JMU: Spring Practice Starts With A ‘Loss'

BDKJMU
March 29th, 2008, 12:06 AM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=15866&CHID=3&sub=

Monarch History
March 29th, 2008, 05:41 PM
On paper the loss of Vernon Eason looks like a big hit for the Dukes, but Ainsley and Walker are highly regarded and hopefully can plug this hole.

I admire a young man who steps up and takes responsibility for his child. I wish him luck and hope he perseveres and gets his degree.xpeacex

Keeper
March 29th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I take it that RB Eugene Holloman is definitely eligible this fall?

BDKJMU
March 30th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Yes.

BDKJMU
March 30th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I take it that RB Eugene Holloman is definitely eligible this fall?

Yes

Hoyadestroya85
March 30th, 2008, 02:19 AM
that's unfortunate for you guys.. good recruiting class though, right?

ASU
March 30th, 2008, 02:50 AM

At the very least it shows the quality of the student athlete that JMU is recruiting. Hats off to the young man for standing up and taking care of his responsibilities.

Eight Legger
March 30th, 2008, 10:19 AM
At the very least it shows the quality of the student athlete that JMU is recruiting. Hats off to the young man for standing up and taking care of his responsibilities.

You mean the kind who has kids out of wedlock while still in college?

BDKJMU
March 30th, 2008, 01:04 PM
The thing is, Eason (listed at 6'1", 315 the last 2 seasons) started the last 2 yrs for JMU at guard as a redshirt freshman and sophmore, so still had 2 seasons left. You don't replace a 2 yr starter with a guy who has never played much, much less started, and not see a drop off, unless you get a impact I-A transfer. I wonder what is the chance Eason could get his family situation worked out and maybe return to JMU in the fall and win his starting job back? After all, he's going to need that college degree to better be able to take care of his kid.

Now hopefully Eason is the only loss before the season. So losing Eason JMU has 16 starters slated to be back instead of 17, 36 of 44 on 2 deep instead of 37, plus Holloman and Kerby Long. Long, who would have played and likely started last season but couldn't even practice till Sept due to an NCAA Clearinghouse issue so was redshirted. Long is going to be older and more experienced than you're typical freshman (post grad season at Fork Union playing with and against lots of other Div I recruits and the redshirt last season at JMU). He is the real deal. Could very well end up being the biggest impact player on JMU's team next season (unless JMU landed Fitzgerald), including Landers and Holloman.

Now if JMU landed Fitzgerald from UVA, that right there would more than make up by far for losing Eason.

Dukes2011
March 30th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Wow Eight Legger. That's kind of harsh. It's not that rare anymore. It's definitely more common than finding a father that's willing to sacrifice playing D-1 football to take responsibility. Ease up, he made a pretty mature decision.

Hoyadestroya85
March 30th, 2008, 07:07 PM

Brian Finneran had one Kid out of wedlock before college, and i'd like to argue that he's a fine human being along with a great football player

DTSpider
March 30th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Now if JMU landed Fitzgerald from UVA, that right there would more than make up by far for losing Eason.

The rumors I've been hearing is that Fitzgerald will be going to K-State since he's not going to be eligible next year.

SoCon48
March 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM

Have to admire the young man for stepping up and being a father to his child. Not many do nowadays. Too bad he couldn't have stayed on a finished his degree first so as to help his youngster even more in the future.
I wish him all the best in raising this youngster.

SoCon48
March 30th, 2008, 08:09 PM

That never happens at UR?xeyebrowx

DLS
March 30th, 2008, 10:07 PM

oh no, them darn youngsters reproducing without hardware on their fingers. what is the world coming to?

sounds like my grandparents. welcome to this century sir.

APPALACHIANstate
March 30th, 2008, 10:10 PM

Yeah, thats me...

This guy is stepping up. This type of thing "could" have happened to a lot of people. It is not something to be sad about though. He is going to take care of his child, congrats to him and he has a lot to look forward too.

mcveyrl
March 31st, 2008, 10:20 AM

Those in glass houses...

Grayson Settles on Plea Deal (http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/colleges.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-03-21-0131.html)

xwhistlex xwhistlex

BTW, I don't think that Grayson's thing is a big deal. I understand that he had some external pressures on him to settle this deal, not the least of which is getting back on the football field.

My point is that you can't complain about other fans taking cheap shots when you do the same (I stated in the Grayson thread that you can't jump to any conclusions)