PDA

View Full Version : Furman vs. GWU - Need Paladin perspective

Thumper250
October 1st, 2005, 08:42 PM
Furman folk who were at the game, and who may have seen this game the past three years: How would you rate this Gardner-Webb team to 2003 and 2004, particulary on offense.

I realize that some of the D starters were out, but there were others in the game through the second and third quarters when GWU started to move it. Minus the secondary, which is weak by Furman standards (Cam Newton is missed bad), the "D" is still pretty good, particularly at LB.

I'm trying to find some positives from today's loss by GWU. I was very surprised at the offensive numbers and points after scoring only six in the previous two games.

thanks,

fuEMO
October 1st, 2005, 11:06 PM
Thumper, it wasn't that some of the D starters were out. We played the entire second team offense after Furman was up 14-0. Then first and second team defenses were rotating after you guys got your first first down, FU was up 21-0. I think Furman could have scored as much as they wanted today. But I don't think that was the plan, Furman wanted to get some young guys some reps and face APP healthy next week.

And you can thank BL for not wanting to run it up on a member of the family. But I think your team played well against the 2nd unit D which consists of 7 freshmen. Your QB is a solid runner and passer, your O scheme is very good. GW has some very quick tailbacks, and very good size at receiver.

Furman's SS Thacker sat out the game. Overall I think the first team D played very well. They did have to come in on the middle of several drives, so I would give credit to GW for scoring 10 points on the first team D.

The GW defense had to take alot of chances and was burned many times. So I think your offense is your ticket if you have a shot at a Big South championship.

youwouldno
October 2nd, 2005, 02:53 AM
G-W's offense has some nice weapons... Roberts makes some mistakes but overall looks very good with the ball. Offense better than in 2004.

It's hard to assess G-W's defense, because while we gained over 600 yards and could easily have run it up a lot more, our offense is fearsome.