PDA

View Full Version : Startup Scheduling for New FCS Programs

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM
There was another article out there today regarding Lamar football and it continually pushes on that they are going to have an exhibition schedule in 2009 (their first year of football) followed by being full members of the Southland Conference in 2010.

Is there any precedent for playing a full league schedule in your first real year of football? Seems Southeastern La. joined the conference in 2005, which was their third year of full football. Isn't ODU not playing football in the CAA til year two or is year three?

I'm really surprised Lamar wants to hop into full-SLC mode in 2010. I said it before, I doubt this will happen, though it does continually get brought up. Seems it makes more sense for Lamar to play in the SLC in year 2 or year 3 while the SLC will help Lamar with scheduling in 2010...

No football program start-up over the last few years has played a full conference schedule their first year. Seems like it would not be beneficial for the program to do that...but Tubbs is the "mastermind" here and I am sure he knows what he's doing, even if there is no precedent...

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Here's the link to the article by the way...

http://www.panews.com/sports/local_story_086230421.html?start:int=15

Retro
March 27th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Where do you get 2009 and 2010 from that article? I see nothing.. Even so, There is no way in hell they can play and exhibition season in 2009 and then expect to be in the SLC the next year.. 2012 maybe, but they need 2 full years playing a regular FCS/Div II schedule before the SLC will be accepting..

UAalum72
March 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM
NCAA rule is that their second year they must play at least half of their games vs. Division I - only the first year is an exception to the rule.

McTailGator
March 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM
There was another article out there today regarding Lamar football and it continually pushes on that they are going to have an exhibition schedule in 2009 (their first year of football) followed by being full members of the Southland Conference in 2010.

Is there any precedent for playing a full league schedule in your first real year of football? Seems Southeastern La. joined the conference in 2005, which was their third year of full football. Isn't ODU not playing football in the CAA til year two or is year three?

I'm really surprised Lamar wants to hop into full-SLC mode in 2010. I said it before, I doubt this will happen, though it does continually get brought up. Seems it makes more sense for Lamar to play in the SLC in year 2 or year 3 while the SLC will help Lamar with scheduling in 2010...

No football program start-up over the last few years has played a full conference schedule their first year. Seems like it would not be beneficial for the program to do that...but Tubbs is the "mastermind" here and I am sure he knows what he's doing, even if there is no precedent...

Unless they have already been on the phone calling some schools for a game to start that schedule, they may be in for a difficult time as most schedules are full.

There are only so many D-II' D-II's and NAIA's to go around. And are they going to pay all of them guarantee's? That will be expensive, which is why they need a home and home.

If they start in 09, than they need to return some of those home games in 2010, meaning who will they make a schedule?

I think the only way they can do it is to stay indy for 09 and 10, and start rolling in some SLC's as soon as possible.

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Where do you get 2009 and 2010 from that article? I see nothing.. Even so, There is no way in hell they can play and exhibition season in 2009 and then expect to be in the SLC the next year.. 2012 maybe, but they need 2 full years playing a regular FCS/Div II schedule before the SLC will be accepting..

Ooops, not in the article. It was in previous articles re: Lamar football and their fan base is pretty adamant that they will be playing in the SLC in 2010.

I've told them time and time again that it will not happen, but someone is feeding this to them. It just does not make much sense to me. SLU came in during their third year of football....

Also should be noted that quite a few schools (SHSU included) in the SLC already have 2010 opponents lined up. It'd be tough to squeeze Lamar into a full schedule, just does not seem plausible.

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2008, 03:28 PM
If they start in 09, than they need to return some of those home games in 2010, meaning who will they make a schedule?

I think the only way they can do it is to stay indy for 09 and 10, and start rolling in some SLC's as soon as possible.

2009 is the exhibition season when they redshirt all their players, have an intrasquad scrimmage or two, possibly play a club team (I think that's allowed) or a JV from a school that has a JV (believe Abilene Christian does)...

2010 would be their first start-up season of playing legitimate football...

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Lamar could look for a similar schedule to this, eh?

Old Dominion Schedule
vs Monmouth (not full scholarship, Div I)
vs Presbyterian (new full scholarship Div I)
vs Georgetown (non scholarship Div I)
vs Chowan (sub Div I)
at Jacksonville (non scholarship Div I)

slycat
March 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
i just dont see them getting football going that fast. but you never know.

DFW HOYA
March 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Fairfield and LaSalle played a full MAAC schedule when it joined I-AA.

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2008, 07:27 PM

There's a difference between the MAAC and the SLC, just as there is between the GWFC and the SLC situations...

i just dont see them getting football going that fast. but you never know.

There's a few Lamar fans who believe they are fully capable of being competitive playing a full SLC schedule in year one...

slycat
March 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM
There's a difference between the MAAC and the SLC, just as there is between the GWFC and the SLC situations...

There's a few Lamar fans who believe they are fully capable of being competitive playing a full SLC schedule in year one...

yeah ok....sounds like some of our fans when they talk of going to fbs

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2008, 07:47 PM
yeah ok....sounds like some of our fans when they talk of going to fbs

Lamar has a few fans who are very confident about that...though one fan did acknowledge to me that it seems Billy Tubbs is very motivated to help fix up the conference...but why wouldn't he? He's sitting very pretty right now...xnonono2x

UAalum72
March 27th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW HOYA
There's a difference between the MAAC and the SLC
Not that much - Fairfield went 1-8 its first year, beating only Iona

LaSalle was an independent for two years, going 3-14 including seven losses to all their sub-D-I opponents, before going 3-5 in their first MAAC season in 1999

catdaddy2402
March 27th, 2008, 09:58 PM
2009 is the exhibition season when they redshirt all their players, have an intrasquad scrimmage or two, possibly play a club team (I think that's allowed) or a JV from a school that has a JV (believe Abilene Christian does)...

2010 would be their first start-up season of playing legitimate football...

Pretty sure that players who are going to redshirt for that season are not allowed to participate in any JV games. If they play they use up that year of eligibility.

However, I wonder if it wouldn't be worth it in the long run to use a part of your recruiting class and some walk-ons simply to have someone that first season with some playing experience? It would also allow some balance in recruiting classes so that you don't have the huge drop-off like Coastal Carolina had last season losing so many seniors.

TexasTerror
March 28th, 2008, 07:18 AM
QNot that much - Fairfield went 1-8 its first year, beating only Iona

LaSalle was an independent for two years, going 3-14 including seven losses to all their sub-D-I opponents, before going 3-5 in their first MAAC season in 1999

It's simple -- LaSalle was an independent. What was Fairfield? Lamar has no football team right now.

The MAAC needed teams -- the SLC does not need to rush to bring a team in.

Retro
March 28th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Lamar has a few fans who are very confident about that...though one fan did acknowledge to me that it seems Billy Tubbs is very motivated to help fix up the conference...but why wouldn't he? He's sitting very pretty right now...xnonono2x

I'm not sure why Tubbs thinks he can help FIX UP the conference by adding Football at Lamar, where they never supported it before.. Besides Tubbs has already ruined the basketball situation in conference with his scheduling ideas!

TexasTerror
March 28th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Besides Tubbs has already ruined the basketball situation in conference with his scheduling ideas!

Thanks Billy!

Seems we are thanking him for all these negative things he has brought about each and every time. Expect the BTC (Billy Tubbs Conference) tournament to move to Beaumont soon...