PDA

View Full Version : Duquesne releases 10 game '08 schedule?

hebmskebm
March 25th, 2008, 08:27 PM
http://goduquesne.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/duqu-m-footbl-sched.html

They have to be the only non-Ivy team in FCS that's playing ten games this year. Shortness aside, the schedule itself isn't terrible, OOC with Bucknell, Dayton, and Bryant.

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Prairie View A&M played 10 games last year...think someone pulled out on them too late in the game.

bluehenbillk
March 26th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I know it's not typical of all schools, but it doesn't do much to add credibility to "mid-majors" dedication towards football when you only schedule 10 games.

DetroitFlyer
March 26th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I know it's not typical of all schools, but it doesn't do much to add credibility to "mid-majors" dedication towards football when you only schedule 10 games.

I'll try to say this as slowly as possible for our friends from Delaware.... THERE IS NO "MID-MAJOR" there is only FCS!

Now, to help you out just a bit further.... Repeat the above at least 10 times, and maybe, just maybe, you will remember this tidbit. ( Frankly, I am not optimistic )!

D1scout
March 26th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I'll try to say this as slowly as possible for our friends from Delaware.... THERE IS NO "MID-MAJOR" there is only FCS!

Now, to help you out just a bit further.... Repeat the above at least 10 times, and maybe, just maybe, you will remember this tidbit. ( Frankly, I am not optimistic )!

Detroit, what Mid-Majors were they talking about!xlolx

Dane96
March 26th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Bill, if I had to guess, there were probably real big issues with scheduling because of the Dukes move to the NEC this year. Considering games are scheduled often years in advance, I would presume this is the problem.

The Dukes usually play a pretty full slate of OOC's filled with PL teams.

Detroit Flyer...you are right, there is no mid-major when it comes to the NEC (yeah, even if you guys beat an NEC teams)- we give 30 rides...and it may be moving up depending on a vote in three months.

I am proud that you did not hijack this thread-- maybe you are learning?!?!

danefan
March 26th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Not a horrible schedule and it most likely has to do with the change of leagues.

They could have most likely filled one of their two weeks off in a row with a sub-DI game, but clearly decided against it.

Is this schedule great? No.
Is it better then Sacred Heart? Absolutely.

I'd rather see a 10 game schedule with no-sub DI teams then a 12 game schedule with 3 sub-DI teams.

bobcat7
March 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM
September 13 is the big open date. An excellent fit would be Holy Cross if they could play a 12th game. Another nice fit would be San Diego. xchinscratchx

andy7171
March 26th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Not a horrible schedule and it most likely has to do with the change of leagues.

They could have most likely filled one of their two weeks off in a row with a sub-DI game, but clearly decided against it.

Is this schedule great? No.
Is it better then Sacred Heart? Absolutely.

I'd rather see a 10 game schedule with no-sub DI teams then a 12 game schedule with 3 sub-DI teams.

I agree completely with you.

dgreco
March 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM
decent schedule glad no sub-DI's

danefan
March 26th, 2008, 09:23 AM
With all NEC schedules released except Robert Morris, the NEC (not counting Bryant) only has 3 sub-DI games scheduled (with two coming from Sacred Heart xnonono2x) .

So to date, the NEC teams combined have less sub-DI games then Texas Southern alone. xlolx xlolx

DetroitFlyer
March 26th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Kinda makes ya wonder if fans of FBS schools are bragging about only having "X" number of games against FCS teams....

I am not a fan of FCS teams playing lower division teams, but I can certainly see the hypocrisy in this position.... It certainly does not seem unreasonable to allow one sub-FCS game, ( maybe to a Division II school ), to count towards playoff eligibility....

danefan
March 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Kinda makes ya wonder if fans of FBS schools are bragging about only having "X" number of games against FCS teams....

I am not a fan of FCS teams playing lower division teams, but I can certainly see the hypocrisy in this position.... It certainly does not seem unreasonable to allow one sub-FCS game, ( maybe to a Division II school ), to count towards playoff eligibility....

I don't mind a DII team on the schedule, if it is a home game for the FCS and the DII is a good DII school. It is no different then an FCS travelling to an FBS.

I've said it multiple times before. I think FCS should have a rule similar to the FBS "counter" rules for bowl eligibility.

You can have one DII (no DIII) team count towards playoff eligibility if the DII team meats specific standards. I don't like that the "counter" standard is based on financial investment (scholarships/equivalents) but I don't know of a better way.

More then 1 DII school should not account for anything.

danefan
March 26th, 2008, 10:58 AM
The other thing is that there is a big difference between NEC teams scheduling DII games and CAA, Socon, etc. teams doing it.

The NEC teams need to schedule up OOC to raise the leagues standing overall. We haven't the luxury of scheduling guaranteed wins OOC yet. The other leagues can schedule down OOC because their league schedules are hard enough to carry them through.

seahawkfan2007
March 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Bucknell and Dayton are good OOC oponents and Bryant as a future NEC team makes alot of sense. No matter how far up (FBS) or down (D11 or D11) you have to schedule (within reason), anything less than 11 games isn't good.

rmutv
March 26th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Robert Morris' schedule is just about done, if only because of the other releases. Nine games have been set-up, with all 7 conference games official and two non-conference games.

Bucknell is supposed to be on the list, and I would imagine Dayton would be the other one.

8/30 - TBA
9/6 - host Morehead State
9/13 - TBA
9/20 - TBA
9/27 - at Monmouth
10/4 - at Sacred Heart
10/11 - host Duquesne
10/18 - at Bryant University
10/25 - at Wagner
11/1 - host Central Connecticut State
11/8 - host Albany
11/15 - at St. Francis PA
11/22 - TBA

Saint3333
March 26th, 2008, 10:05 PM

I guess you should tell that to the 30 people that vote in this poll:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-MID-MAJOR.htm

Gotta stick up for a Delaware guy every once in awhile.xthumbsupx

bluehenbillk
March 27th, 2008, 06:42 AM

Wait a minute, Dayton plays football now? xsmiley_wix

Ruler
March 27th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Oh no bluehenbillk you know not what you do. Do you have any idea of the impending Dayton storm that is now coming???????

nwFL Griz
March 27th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Robert Morris' schedule is just about done, if only because of the other releases. Nine games have been set-up, with all 7 conference games official and two non-conference games.

Bucknell is supposed to be on the list, and I would imagine Dayton would be the other one.

8/30 - TBA
9/6 - host Morehead State
9/13 - TBA
9/20 - TBA
9/27 - at Monmouth
10/4 - at Sacred Heart
10/11 - host Duquesne
10/18 - at Bryant University
10/25 - at Wagner
11/1 - host Central Connecticut State
11/8 - host Albany
11/15 - at St. Francis PA
11/22 - TBA

Monmouth is at RMU on 9/27

danefan
March 27th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Bucknell and Dayton are good OOC oponents and Bryant as a future NEC team makes alot of sense. No matter how far up (FBS) or down (D11 or D11) you have to schedule (within reason), anything less than 11 games isn't good.

I don't agree with you at all, especially when in the NEC, a league trying to make a name for itself.

Nothing good comes from playing Sub-DI teams for the NEC. Nothing. We don't need patty-cake wins. We need tough schedules with close games on the road against full-scholly FCS squads.

That is the only way we earn the respect of the playoff committee.

nwFL Griz
March 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I don't agree with you at all, especially when in the NEC, a league trying to make a name for itself.

Nothing good comes from playing Sub-DI teams for the NEC. Nothing. We don't need patty-cake wins. We need tough schedules with close games on the road against full-scholly FCS squads.

Agree, and I think it shows the difference in mind-set between conferences who are looking for respect from the playoff committee, like the NEC, and those who are not, like the SWAC (which I mention because of the current thread on the smack board.)

Not making any judgements either way....just pointing out, what seems to me, a significant difference in schedules, and the thought process behind them.

DetroitFlyer
March 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM

Good luck living in this fantasy world.... The ONLY thing that will earn your conference any respect from the playoff committee is going to 63athletic scholarships across the board! You can certainly try to play the game, and IF your team is able to "walk on water" as in going undefeated in conference and winning all but one or maybe two of your games against top tier full scholly schools, you might get a sniff.... "MIGHT" is the key word here, because if there is any way to keep you out that can even be remotely justified, it will happen! A full scholly school will always win a bid over a partial or non-scholly school EVERY time if the committee can even remotely justify it!

Keep hoping for that autobid, because the NEC or the PFL will not receive an at large bid unless they literally walk on water relative to the rest of FCS.... Now, playing a "walk on water" schedule might help to support an automatic bid, but it will do little to secure an at large IMHO.

Maybe once a team from the NEC or PFL actually makes the playoffs, I will change my tune, but for now, I think you are just dreaming. Good luck with that!

bobcat7
March 27th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Still looking for Game #11. St. Francis and Marist can move from 9/13 to 11/1 ... Marist can schedule Duquesne on 9/13. This gets Marist a D1 game (which they may need) against a good opponent and long-time rival, gets Dukes an eleventh game, and no harm to St. Francis who just moves their bye date.

Dane96
March 27th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Good luck living in this fantasy world.... The ONLY thing that will earn your conference any respect from the playoff committee is going to 63athletic scholarships across the board! You can certainly try to play the game, and IF your team is able to "walk on water" as in going undefeated in conference and winning all but one or maybe two of your games against top tier full scholly schools, you might get a sniff.... "MIGHT" is the key word here, because if there is any way to keep you out that can even be remotely justified, it will happen! A full scholly school will always win a bid over a partial or non-scholly school EVERY time if the committee can even remotely justify it!

Keep hoping for that autobid, because the NEC or the PFL will not receive an at large bid unless they literally walk on water relative to the rest of FCS.... Now, playing a "walk on water" schedule might help to support an automatic bid, but it will do little to secure an at large IMHO.

Maybe once a team from the NEC or PFL actually makes the playoffs, I will change my tune, but for now, I think you are just dreaming. Good luck with that!

Wrong-- Even though we tanked against Dayton (and I do think Dayton was a playoff caliber team this year), if Albany had won one of Hofstra, Montana, or Colgate (Colgate was the gimmee-- no offense Raiders) there is a good chance Albany would have been in the playoffs with an at-large bid.

RabidRabbit
March 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM
UND and So DAK are both frantically scrambling for games, especially D-I FCS games at home. So far, no NEC/ex-MAAC/Pioneer on their schedules. xcoolx xcoolx I smell opportunity 'Yotes and Sioux fans. xthumbsupx

Dane96
March 27th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Hmmmmm....get on the horn with Bob Ford for future years-- man loves a challenge!

danefan
March 27th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Hmmmmm....get on the horn with Bob Ford for future years-- man loves a challenge !

and a road trip
xthumbsupx

Dane96
March 27th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Exactly-- Heck, I can get a hunting trip down in Spearfish in before/after watching the games!

RabidRabbit
March 27th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Exactly-- Heck, I can get a hunting trip down in Spearfish in before/after watching the games!

USD to Spearfish 450 miles
UND to Spearfish 575 miles

Hope the hunting trip is for a week or better. xthumbsupx

Dane96
March 27th, 2008, 10:39 AM
ABSOLUTELY-- Friend is a game warden out there (well, friend's cousin). Only time I went we horsebacked it out...and camped for a week. IT WAS AWESOME!

nwFL Griz
March 27th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Still bitter about not making the playoffs, huh?

The point you miss is, if you replace Urbana and Central St on last years schedule with ANY FCS teams, you probably make the playoffs. Your conference schedule is just not strong enough to support playing ANY non-D-I teams.

That, or beat Morehead St next time.

DetroitFlyer
March 27th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Still bitter about not making the playoffs, huh?

The point you miss is, if you replace Urbana and Central St on last years schedule with ANY FCS teams, you probably make the playoffs. Your conference schedule is just not strong enough to support playing ANY non-D-I teams.

That, or beat Morehead St next time.

A big "maybe". I am still not convinced.

seahawkfan2007
March 28th, 2008, 10:36 AM
danefan disagrees but I don't see a credibility loss in NEC teams scheduling a quality D-ll team to get an 11th game. The players work hard in the off-season for the opportunity comptete, the interested alum and fans look forward to every game and in my opinion, everyone gets a little slighted when when the season is shortend. Deleware, Ga. Southern, Montana, Cal-Poly and No. Iowa, to name a few, played D-ll schools in 07'.
I agree that the NEC gains huge credibilty by scheduling and on occasion beating the big boys of the FCS (ie: Albany's W's vs. Del and Lehigh, and CCSU's W vs. Ga. So.) but really don't see the downside to compleating an 11 game schedule with a sub D-1 opponent.

UAalum72
March 28th, 2008, 10:46 AM
but really don't see the downside to compleating an 11 game schedule with a sub D-1 opponent.
Because one argument against the NEC getting an autobid is that we're ranked below the autobid conferences. Beating a D-II doesn't help, but playing - even if losing to - a stronger team does.

DetroitFlyer
March 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Because one argument against the NEC getting an autobid is that we're ranked below the autobid conferences. Beating a D-II doesn't help, but playing - even if losing to - a stronger team does.

Really.... Which conference in 2007 played more sub-FCS teams, the PFL or the NEC?

Now, which conference was rated higher at the end of the season?

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/articles/artfiles/89801_detail.txt

Granted, both are non-autobid conferences, but you get the point. It does seem to help the PL and the Ivy League, but I cannot justify that in my mind at all.... I really think that those conferences get rated fairly high more due to tradition than anything else....

UAalum72
March 28th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Really.... Which conference in 2007 played more sub-FCS teams, the PFL or the NEC?

Now, which conference was rated higher at the end of the season?

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/articles/artfiles/89801_detail.txt

Granted, both are non-autobid conferences, but you get the point. It does seem to help the PL and the Ivy League, but I cannot justify that in my mind at all.... I really think that those conferences get rated fairly high more due to tradition than anything else....
Helped by Drake's win over IllSu. And two of the three years before that the NEC was rated higher. Scheduling isn't the only factor, but it helps

Have you checked out the OVC's non-conference record? The only thing holding that league up is that they take numerous beatings from FBS schools, which counts for both strength of schedule AND a bonus for playing FBS, which is why they got at-large bids the last two years despite none of their teams winning a playoff game since 1996.

DetroitFlyer
March 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Helped by Drake's win over IllSu. And two of the three years before that the NEC was rated higher. Scheduling isn't the only factor, but it helps

Have you checked out the OVC's non-conference record? The only thing holding that league up is that they take numerous beatings from FBS schools, which counts for both strength of schedule AND a bonus for playing FBS, which is why they got at-large bids the last two years despite none of their teams winning a playoff game since 1996.

Come on now.... I really thought that the Murray State at Louisville game last season was the game of the year...! LOL!!xlolx

Bluehenfan08
March 28th, 2008, 01:14 PM
There is Mid Major in FCS. I am a Delaware fan and you think that Duquesne and Dayton are in our league. They are a notch below us. That is the truth.

dgreco
March 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM
There is Mid Major in FCS. I am a Delaware fan and you think that Duquesne and Dayton are in our league. They are a notch below us. That is the truth.

BC, NCState, Colorado, and Iowa St. are al a notch below their conference mates and below other teams but they are not classified as Mid-Major. The conferences make a team Mid-Major not their play, and it is hard to have a mid-major classification when you put 2 leagues in it. They are just the lower tier leagues.

Franks Tanks
March 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM
BC, NCState, Colorado, and Iowa St. are al a notch below their conference mates and below other teams but they are not classified as Mid-Major. The conferences make a team Mid-Major not their play, and it is hard to have a mid-major classification when you put 2 leagues in it. They are just the lower tier leagues.

Good point. I would assert that Dayton is closer to Delaware, than a FAU or North Texas is to Ohio State. -Note: I picked Ohio State as they like Delaware lost their respective championship game.

Bluehenfan08
March 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM
If you look at the polls. They have a poll that is just for mid majors. SO they must think they are mid majors. If you want to use another word for it, it could be call Lower tiered teams. But I think they both have the same meaning that is all.

Franks Tanks
March 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
If you look at the polls. They have a poll that is just for mid majors. SO they must think they are mid majors. If you want to use another word for it, it could be call Lower tiered teams. But I think they both have the same meaning that is all.

The poll you speak of is pretty much the construct of one man, Don Hansen, you may agree with him, but last time I checked no one annointed him god of FCS football.

UAalum72
March 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Were you not in the crowd when Delaware played Albany two years ago?