PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel preparing for App St.

AppStFan76
March 18th, 2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/mar/16/bulldogs_defense_gets_speed_on_field34038/

I guess AE's 291 yrds. in 07' got the Bulldogs scared!xthumbsupx

CID1990
March 18th, 2008, 01:24 PM
This has already been discussed in another thread.

I kind of like the fact that Higgins is looking to beat ASU, not just everyone except ASU.

citdog
March 18th, 2008, 01:52 PM
http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/mar/16/bulldogs_defense_gets_speed_on_field34038/

I guess AE's 291 yrds. in 07' got the Bulldogs scared!xthumbsupx

SCARED? WE ARE NOT SCARED OF ANYONE. ASK THE GREAT TYRANT, KAISER WILHELM, HITLER, TOJO, THE IL'S, HO CHI MINH, OR SADDAM.

PaladinFan
March 18th, 2008, 01:53 PM
It does speak to something greater. It has already been discussed that Furman is putting 5 dbs on the field with a 4-2-5 defense to get more speed. Other schools, like The Citadel, are making adjustments as well.

The proverbial "target on your back" applies here. ASU made a jump to a very good offensive scheme and the conference has been slow to catch up. I think that gap is closing. ASU lost two conference games in 2007 and didn't take the autobid. The conference is catching up to them.

Touchdown Yosef
March 18th, 2008, 02:13 PM
It does speak to something greater. It has already been discussed that Furman is putting 5 dbs on the field with a 4-2-5 defense to get more speed. Other schools, like The Citadel, are making adjustments as well.

The proverbial "target on your back" applies here. ASU made a jump to a very good offensive scheme and the conference has been slow to catch up. I think that gap is closing. ASU lost two conference games in 2007 and didn't take the autobid. The conference is catching up to them.

agreed, the Socon could go to just about anyone. I would just like to see us all win our OOC matchups with CAA this year.

AppStFan76
March 18th, 2008, 02:13 PM

I agree. Just though the mention of AE to begin the article was interesting. you've got to admit 291 yrds. rushing in one game was pretty awesome!

It has always amazed me at how some conferences like the Big-10 can despise every other school in their conference and hope for them to loose when not play their school. I think that over all the So-Con has risen above that. I for one will always pull for another So-Con team when they are not playing App.

Appaholic
March 18th, 2008, 02:27 PM
SCARED? WE ARE NOT SCARED OF ANYONE. ASK THE GREAT TYRANT, KAISER WILHELM, HITLER, TOJO, THE IL'S, HO CHI MINH, OR SADDAM.

You might be if any of them played football.......or were a female enrolling in your school.....xwhistlex

AppStateold299
March 18th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I agree. Just though the mention of AE to begin the article was interesting. you've got to admit 291 yrds. rushing in one game was pretty awesome!

It has always amazed me at how some conferences like the Big-10 can despise every other school in their conference and hope for them to loose when not play their school. I think that over all the So-Con has risen above that. I for one will always pull for another So-Con team when they are not playing App.

I will pull for almost every school. I can't pull for GSU. Although there are always exceptions to the rule. I will root for them if they play UGA or Montana. Other than that the Eagles need to get clipped.

AppStFan76
March 18th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I will pull for almost every school. I can't pull for GSU. Although there are always exceptions to the rule. I will root for them if they play UGA or Montana. Other than that the Eagles need to get clipped.

But there are still times you will pull for them and every other So-con team. other conferences , not all and mostly I-A, are not like that IMO.

appstate38
March 18th, 2008, 05:32 PM

I don't agree completely with your post. The SoCon did close the gap last year but not on defense. The offenses were exceptional last year. Both SoCon losts for the Apps were high scoring games. The only way last year to beat the Apps was to outscore them. When a SoCon team holds AE and company to 21 points or less then I will agree on the gap being closed. Until then... Not so much!

citdog
March 18th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I don't agree completely with your post. The SoCon did close the gap last year but not on defense. The offenses were exceptional last year. Both SoCon losts for the Apps were high scoring games. The only way last year to beat the Apps was to outscore them. When a SoCon team holds AE and company to 21 points or less then I will agree on the gap being closed. Until then... Not so much!

LET EDWARDS GET HURT THIS YEAR AND INSTEAD OF ELDER YOU HAVE COCO CRISP OR IS IT COUNT CHOCULA?

AppStFan76
March 18th, 2008, 07:35 PM
LET EDWARDS GET HURT THIS YEAR AND INSTEAD OF ELDER YOU HAVE COCO CRISP OR IS IT COUNT CHOCULA?

Yxsmiley_wix ou might be coutningthe number of points he puts on the board

appstate38
March 18th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Well if that is what you have to put your hope in then it may be your best defense....

CopperCat
March 18th, 2008, 10:32 PM

So you're saying that the Citadel was responsible for US victories in WWI, WWII, Vietnam, AND OIF?

xwhistlex

elcid96
March 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Great article on the Dogs. Not only did Armanti run for 291, but Foster pulled out some last minute runs in the GSU game that killed us. I am glad we are working on stopping this. Looking forward to a great season.

AppStFan76
March 19th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Great article on the Dogs. Not only did Armanti run for 291, but Foster pulled out some last minute runs in the GSU game that killed us. I am glad we are working on stopping this. Looking forward to a great season.

Hope you guys have a great season. Didnt mean any disrespect with my first comment all in good funxsmiley_wix

The only game I wont wish you any luck in is when you play the Mountaineers!

T-Dog
March 19th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Yxsmiley_wix ou might be coutningthe number of points he puts on the board

Count Von Count would quit his job and go back to Sesame Street if he had to count the number of points ASU would score on El Cit. xsmiley_wix

elcid96
March 19th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Count Von Count would quit his job and go back to Sesame Street if he had to count the number of points ASU would score on El Cit. xsmiley_wix

I look forward to commenting on this thread later in the year when we post a victory over ASU.

ericsaid
March 19th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I'm looking foward to reading this thread when AE throws for 300+ yards on the Citadel, what defense will they choose then?

I like how this journalist happened to use App State as an example leading into his article and people take it as the Citadel is doing this just to stop Appalachian.

Paranoia

Appaholic
March 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM

As usual, citadel's best hope for victory over App lies in another team's ability to hurt our top scoring threat........the more things change......when are you guys (and gals too) going to join the big south with the other faux military school......

CID1990
March 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM
As usual, citadel's best hope for victory over App lies in another team's ability to hurt our top scoring threat........the more things change......when are you guys (and gals too) going to join the big south with the other faux military school......

When you stop banging your sisters.

GSUjack
March 21st, 2008, 12:06 AM

well, a "bang" and a win are nothing new for those kids :D

AppMan
March 21st, 2008, 06:58 AM
I look forward to commenting on this thread later in the year when we post a victory over ASU.

I'm looking forward to the Crow you will be eating! :>)

AppStFan76
March 24th, 2008, 07:23 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cPVkDhpe0aE&feature=related

Just in case you forgot what happened in 07'!

Appaholic
March 24th, 2008, 08:25 AM
xoutofrepx

Black Saturday
March 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladinFan

Not to be whining, but APP lost two conference games with a banged up squad in '07. Look what happened when APP was healthy. I agree that I may begin to believe that the gap is being closed when AE's offense has been limited to 21 pts. I see no let up in the '08 offense from '07 with the '08 defense potentially being as good or better than the '06 defense. Try as the conference may I just don't see any gap being closed in '08. Target may be bigger, but no team will be able to do much about it.

Yosef92
March 24th, 2008, 12:54 PM
The future sure looks interesting. I now believe AE to be something extremely special. And the SoCon may not catch up to App with a healthy AE. But it is scary to think of all the work and adjustments being made to combat ASU by the teams in the SoCon, and then to have AE gone in 3 years. I wonder if our next QB will be looking into a secondary of lightning fast DBs, some odd mix of CBs, Safetys and Speedy undersized LBs. It maybe dizzying.

AppStFan76
March 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
The future sure looks interesting. I now believe AE to be something extremely special. And the SoCon may not catch up to App with a healthy AE. But it is scary to think of all the work and adjustments being made to combat ASU by the teams in the SoCon, and then to have AE gone in 3 years. I wonder if our next QB will be looking into a secondary of lightning fast DBs, some odd mix of CBs, Safetys and Speedy undersized LBs. It maybe dizzying.

If AE's replacement is as good as advertised, then I think we'll be ok! Not that the SoCon will be a cake walk. Given our success the last few years recruiting will not be a problem for App. I predict a VERY GOOD App football team for the next several years.xthumbsupx

AshevilleApp2
March 25th, 2008, 11:12 AM
xoutofrepx

Took care of it. xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
March 25th, 2008, 12:54 PM

Things have certianly changed. Furman, long known for having massive hardnosed linebackers and a stingy run-defense is now moving to putting 5 defensive backs on the field.

Teams that beat ASU will have to do what Wofford and GSU did, come to the game with more bullets. I would argue that App's first two NCs were won on the backs of their defense. That defense wasn't anywhere to be found in 2007, but the offense is one of the toughest to defense I've seen.

We'll see how well these adjustments work out. ASU has set the bar for the conference and we are all working to improve. They have essentially taken a group of football teams built solely on power running games and forced them out of their ball control style into a "put as many points on the board as you can" philosophy. It really is interesting to watch.

AshevilleApp2
March 25th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Things have certianly changed. Furman, long known for having massive hardnosed linebackers and a stingy run-defense is now moving to putting 5 defensive backs on the field.

Teams that beat ASU will have to do what Wofford and GSU did, come to the game with more bullets. I would argue that App's first two NCs were won on the backs of their defense. That defense wasn't anywhere to be found in 2007, but the offense is one of the toughest to defense I've seen.

We'll see how well these adjustments work out. ASU has set the bar for the conference and we are all working to improve. They have essentially taken a group of football teams built solely on power running games and forced them out of their ball control style into a "put as many points on the board as you can" philosophy. It really is interesting to watch.

Good post, and it is interesting to see the evolution. My only argument is that only the 2005 NC was due to the defense, and that was largely because Richie Williams was injured early in the semi-final. The ASU team that played Southern Illinois in the quarter-finals that year may have been the best on both sides of the ball that we've had.

But nitpicking aside, it will be fun to see how quickly other teams adjust. Please don't do it soon.

08Dawg
March 28th, 2008, 07:53 PM
What's really going to be interesting is when, in a few years, somebody wises up, sees all the 4-2-5 schemes with little linebackers, and installs a power running game, with a Jerome Felton or a Nehemiah Broughton punching right through the 'backers and chewing up huge amounts of turf.

seantaylor
March 29th, 2008, 12:17 AM
What's really going to be interesting is when, in a few years, somebody wises up, sees all the 4-2-5 schemes with little linebackers, and installs a power running game, with a Jerome Felton or a Nehemiah Broughton punching right through the 'backers and chewing up huge amounts of turf.

Hell, AP or Jermaine Austin would have gone for over 300 against a 4-2-5. Look for the next great GSU running back this year in Zeke Rozier.

CID1990
March 29th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I think we'll be keeping the 4-3 scheme as a fallback for games against teams like Wofford.

SideLine Shooter
March 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM

Somebody is smokin something!!!!!!!!!!!!!xlolx

AppGrad06
March 29th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Somebody is smokin something!!!!!!!!!!!!!xlolx

what ever it is I want some... seems potent.

PaladinFan
March 29th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hell, AP or Jermaine Austin would have gone for over 300 against a 4-2-5. Look for the next great GSU running back this year in Zeke Rozier.

It's essentially a 4-3 with a faster weakside linebacker. Rozier may be good, but I've learned the past few seasons not to worry about all the "puffing" GSU fans do about their unstoppable runningbacks.

citdog
March 31st, 2008, 11:42 AM

SMACK

elcid96
March 31st, 2008, 12:24 PM

I was going to respond LOL, but then I realized that this is probably true. I guess we will remain the SOCON forever. :)

terrierbob
March 31st, 2008, 12:42 PM
It's essentially a 4-3 with a faster weakside linebacker. Rozier may be good, but I've learned the past few seasons not to worry about all the "puffing" GSU fans do about their unstoppable runningbacks.

Sorry to show my ignorance, but what's a weak side LB?

Franks Tanks
March 31st, 2008, 12:47 PM
Sorry to show my ignorance, but what's a weak side LB?

The side lacking a TE is the weak side in this instance, in a 4-3 its the backer that will line up away from a TE

PaladinFan
March 31st, 2008, 01:45 PM
The side lacking a TE is the weak side in this instance, in a 4-3 its the backer that will line up away from a TE

I do speak ignorantly of the 4-2-5. Depending on the team, the TE side will be a more of a "run" side (one extra blocker) so you'd most likely want to put more of a run stopper. Again, if you're playing Furman, you'd need someone who can run because our TEs go out for pass routes as often as the receivers and a run stopper won't do you much good.

Point being, 4-2-5 isnt going to place some umbreally prevent defense. It will like much like the 4-3, just with a smaller faster linebacker.

Franks Tanks
March 31st, 2008, 01:55 PM
I do speak ignorantly of the 4-2-5. Depending on the team, the TE side will be a more of a "run" side (one extra blocker) so you'd most likely want to put more of a run stopper. Again, if you're playing Furman, you'd need someone who can run because our TEs go out for pass routes as often as the receivers and a run stopper won't do you much good.

Point being, 4-2-5 isnt going to place some umbreally prevent defense. It will like much like the 4-3, just with a smaller faster linebacker.

I agree. The weak side backer is typically the more athletic LB as they typically play in more space and are expected to run better. But as we know that isnt necessarily the case. Teams can certainly switch it up based on the offensive scheme thay are facing. In may ways the weak side is really just explaining where the LB is lining up, and no different than saying left Guard.