PDA

View Full Version : ELON 2008 Schedule announced

Elon Fightin' Christians
March 18th, 2008, 11:19 AM
2008 Elon Football Schedule

Date – Opponent (2007 Finish)

August 30 – No. 5/4 RICHMOND (11-3, CAA Champion, NCAA Semifinalist)
September 6 – at Stony Brook (6-5)
September 13 – PRESBYTERIAN (HALL OF FAME/LETTERMAN’S DAY) (6-5)
September 20 – at No. 17/18 Georgia Southern* (7-4, Tied-3rd SoCon)
September 27 – SAMFORD* (FAMILY WEEKEND) (4-7)
October 4 – FURMAN* (6-5, Tied-3rd SoCon)
October 11 – at Citadel* (7-4, Tied-3rd SoCon)
October 18 – at Chattanooga* (2-9, 7th SoCon)
October 25 – No. 6/10 WOFFORD* (9-4, SoCon Co-Champion, NCAA Quarterfinalist)
November 1 – OPEN DATE
November 8 – WESTERN CAROLINA* (HOMECOMING) (1-10, 8th SoCon)
November 15 – at No. 1/1Appalachian State* (13-2, SoCon Co-Champion, NCAA Champion)
November 22 – at Liberty (8-3, Big South Conference Champion)
* denotes Southern Conference game
ALL CAPS denote home game

One thing I noticed--- we travel to Citadel for 2nd year in a row.

Great way to start. AUG 30 vs. Richmond.

RAMS83
March 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Pete Lembo was the coach at Lehigh when Dave Clawson was the HC at Fordham. The two are close in age, both terrific coaches (and I believe were young assistants at UAlbany at the same time). They enjoyed a friendly but intense rivalry when they were HC's at Lehigh -Fordham. Clawson is the OC at Tennesee now but would bet that they scheduled the game when he was still a Head Coach there. It'll take timne but project both to be HC's at major 1A programs before all is said and done.

slostang
March 18th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Great schedule.

TexasTerror
March 18th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Guess you travel to El Cid for second time in two years due to the addition of Samford...SHSU got stuck with playing at both SFA and San Marcos in the same year once we added UCA -- that wasn't good. They used to be split...

APPdopted
March 18th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I'll be looking forward to that Nov. 15th date, seeing Riddle and co. on offense live...should be an exciting game. Hopefully a friend from my Highschool will be playing for ya'll then too! see you in November at the Rock!

citdog
March 18th, 2008, 01:58 PM
IT'S THE CITADEL YOU YANKEE SWINE

Touchdown Yosef
March 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I am looking forward to your opening game, should be a good one for the CAA vs. Socon battles. Good luck Elon.

UAalum72
March 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM
IT'S THE CITADEL YOU YANKEE SWINE
Tell it to your webmaster that decided your addresses would be www.citadel.edu (http://www.citadel.edu) and www.citadelsports.com/ (http://www.citadelsports.com/)

citdog
March 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Tell it to your webmaster that decided your addresses would be www.citadel.edu (http://www.citadel.edu) and www.citadelsports.com/ (http://www.citadelsports.com/)

THE NAME OF THE COLLEGE IS

THE CITADEL, THE MILITARY COLLEGE OF SOUTH CAROLINA

seantaylor
March 18th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Going to be some major pay back in the Boro this year.

Seawolf97
March 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Looking forward to seeing you on Long Island in Septemberxthumbsupx

appsfan
March 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM
That's a nice schedule you guys have this year. It looks like you'll get a good test to start the year. I expect a dog fight when you come to The Rock in November.xthumbsupx

Go...gate
March 18th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Great schedule.

Agreed. xnodx

SoCon48
March 19th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I thought i had seen where Elon had 7 home games. Guess not.

ElonPride
March 19th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I thought i had seen where Elon had 7 home games. Guess not.

YOU posted on the Catamount board that Elon had 7 home games. No one else made that claim.........

citdog
March 19th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Looking forward to seeing you on Long Island in Septemberxthumbsupx

I WOULD LOVE TO COME TO LONG ISLAND! AT THE HEAD OF A GREAT ARMY IN GRAY UNIFORMS TO RAISE THE BLACK FLAG AND EXACT OUR REVENGE ON YOU GUIDO YANKEE OPPRESSORS.

carney2
March 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Pete Lembo was the coach at Lehigh when Dave Clawson was the HC at Fordham. The two are close in age, both terrific coaches (and I believe were young assistants at UAlbany at the same time). They enjoyed a friendly but intense rivalry when they were HC's at Lehigh -Fordham. Clawson is the OC at Tennesee now but would bet that they scheduled the game when he was still a Head Coach there. It'll take timne but project both to be HC's at major 1A programs before all is said and done.

You need to post this on the Lehigh board. Let me know when you do it. I want to be there when you get your head - and other unmentionable parts of your anatomy - handed to you.

AshevilleApp2
March 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Good schedule. Best of luck to you, except for one game.

T-Dog
March 19th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I'm thinking the Elon/ASU game could be default SoCon title game.

whoanellie
March 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I WOULD LOVE TO COME TO LONG ISLAND! AT THE HEAD OF A GREAT ARMY IN GRAY UNIFORMS TO RAISE THE BLACK FLAG AND EXACT OUR REVENGE ON YOU GUIDO YANKEE OPPRESSORS.
maybe new AD will not schedule Webster or some other cupcake you can throw 70 pts on.

SoCon48
March 20th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Or the ASU-GSU game???

Franks Tanks
March 20th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Lembo and Clawson were on Higgins staff at Lehigh at the same time. If Lembo is the HC of a major college program some day than we should all go be coaches as Lembo is a moron. Whenever we changed our gameplan a smidgen lembo had no answer, our coaches laughed at him

ElonPride
March 20th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Elon had 2 chances to wrap up at LEAST a co-championship this season, but lost both of those chances.

T-Dog, did you ever think you would be making that comment? xsmiley_wix

CID1990
March 20th, 2008, 08:42 AM
maybe new AD will not schedule Webster or some other cupcake you can throw 70 pts on.

Our four easiest wins last year were CSU, VMI, Webber, and Elon. Careful who you call a cupcake. WCU looked better.

AppStFan76
March 20th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Our four easiest wins last year were CSU, VMI, Webber, and Elon. Careful who you call a cupcake. WCU looked better.

For App IMO Elon was a tougher game than WCU!

ElonPride
March 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM

Are you sure Elon was an easy win? If I'm not mistaken, Elon had the lead going into the 4th quarter. xrolleyesx

CID1990
March 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Are you sure Elon was an easy win? If I'm not mistaken, Elon had the lead going into the 4th quarter. xrolleyesx

I'm not sure I would go so far as to say they were EASY, but all of our SoCon wins were harder fought with the exception of the UTC win. That being said, I think that Elon will be stronger this year in that Riddle and Hudgins will be more experienced together. However, they won't be sneaking up on anyone, either.

We had the advantage of knowing full well what you guys were capable of coming into the Charleston game, and we were able to game plan for your team. That was an advantage that Wofford and ASU didn't have (although ASU squeaked it out anyway). Your team will be better this year, but you will have a much tougher row to hoe from the start of the season than you did last year. Let's face it, AGS wasn't the only place where you guys were not getting any respect. I think that the 2008 game in Charleston will have at-large bid implications, and possibly even outright SoCon championship implications for one of the two teams.

ElonPride
March 20th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure I would go so far as to say they were EASY

But you did go that far in your previous post!!!! :D

gophoenix
March 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Makes me think of the song "which of these things, doesn't belong"

The Elon game may have been The Citadel's "4th easiest game" or not. I don't care. But to compare it in the same sentence with how VMI, Webber and CSU performed is pretty much painting the picture in the light that you want. I'll hand it to you, you're trying really hard with some spin there.

Western was a harder game for us than GSU and Wofford. But Wofford and GSU were clearly the better teams over the course of the season.

Sheesh.

All said and done, I am not sure there are any cupcakes left in the SoCon.

Millwoch
March 20th, 2008, 07:47 PM

31-28 at end of 4th quarter with El Cid scoring twice in the 4th to win 42-31. Hudgins(9 catches for 190 yards and 3 TDs) had an awesome game, but none of the other Elon receivers picked up the slack (except maybe Mayer who also had 9 catches) as I remember a few drops(Riddle went 30-53-1 for 381 yards while Bart went 22-29-0 for 370 yards)A good pass rush allowed us to hold Elon in the 4th. But the real stat that killed the phoenix was redzone effectivness...Elon went 3-5 and El Cid 4-4. Time of possession also hurt the Phoenix as I am sure the D was spent late in the game.(37 minutes to 22 minutes)

ElonPride
March 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM
31-28 at end of 4th quarter )

So Elon won?? xlolx

Just kidding, I knew what you meant!

Before last season began, I told GP that Elon would lose 4 games and just barely miss the playoffs. Well, that's what happened. Just not the way I originally thought. Here are the games I thought we would lose and why:

1. South Florida - It's an FBS team on the rise, and Grothe is beast. I sure doubted my own team and they were in that game, but never the less, a loss. By the way, if any FCS teams play SF next year, they have some REALLY classy fans that visit the boards.
2. El Cid - Higgins has Lembo's number
3. GSU - I'm acutally not sure why I thought Elon would lose seeing what BVG did to GSU. But it's GSU, and generally they don't have to think twice about beating Elon.
4. Stoney Brook - I thought the team would be looking ahead to the playoffs, and seriously overlook a pretty good SB team

And yes, I thought Elon would beat App this past season, and before the 4th quarter started (and a total Elon implosion in the 4th) I thought the Phoenix would pull the big upset.

GP is right on though - there are no cupcakes in the SoCon anymore.

This will be a great season for the SoCon, and will be headaches for all of us!!!!!!!

T-Dog
March 21st, 2008, 01:18 AM
Elon had 2 chances to wrap up at LEAST a co-championship this season, but lost both of those chances.

T-Dog, did you ever think you would be making that comment? xsmiley_wix

Not three years ago while sitting in Rhodes watching ASU dismantling Elon at night with 5K App fans compared to 1K Elon fans on the home side (most of which were gone by halftime), knowing Elon was going to fire their coach and seeing ASU SoCon championship merch being sold behind the stands.

Things have changed indeed.

Millwoch
March 21st, 2008, 07:29 AM
"So Elon won??

Just kidding, I knew what you meant!"

Opps

I do not think it was the easiest game we played, but was perhaps the best game we played. Higgins had the team up for that game as they were playing for the winning season(which was the first since 2002, so those kids really wanted it.)

Phoenix fans we look forward to hosting you guys 2 years in a row. You will be amazed at the progress of the stadium even though the visitors side is still a dump.

phoenix3
March 21st, 2008, 01:09 PM
I think the big difference in the game was that your D stepped up in the 4th and ours didn't. I could make the excuse that our D was dessimated by injuries but it doesn't flush. Your team had gone through the same number of games and I'm sure had injuries as well.

PaladinFan
March 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM
Gonna be fun to watch the SoCon this year. Elon still sports the best WR I've seen in the conference in Hudgins. That kid almost beat us by himself.

SideLine Shooter
March 21st, 2008, 02:34 PM

Were you not going HIKING this weekend citidog?:D

gophoenix
March 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM

Oh, I thought it was The Citadel Women's College now. :D