PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel Switches To A 3-4

Lehigh Football Nation
March 16th, 2008, 09:38 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=bulldogs-defense-gets-speed-on-field&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Armanti Edwards haunts the game plans of Southern Conference defensive coordinators, even in the spring.

Appalachian State’s fleet quarterback, who has helped the Mountaineers win the last two of their three straight FCS national championships, is one reason The Citadel has devoted much of its spring football practice to developing a 3-4 defense.

The alignment, on display for more than 500 fans during Saturday’s Blue and White game at Willson Field, features three linemen in front of four linebackers/safeties, and is designed to help The Citadel better cope with Edwards and other spread offenses in the SoCon.

MplsBison
March 16th, 2008, 09:48 AM
One nice thing about a 3 man front is that you can maintain 2 deep safeties while having a LB or DB for each of the 6 eligible offensive players.

ericsaid
March 16th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Funny thing is that means when a spread team runs five wide recievers then you have LB's covering WR's which won't help when you have a quarterback who can throw as well as run.

MplsBison
March 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Or you can switch to a 3-1-7 defense.

Man 5 corners on the 5 WR's and have an LB maned on the QB with cover 2 safeties in case someone gets beat deep.

ericsaid
March 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM
But then you have a quarterback who runs a 4.5 and when you have two back sets then you have options and not enough players in the box.

No defense is perfect i would have a 3-3-5.

ericsaid
March 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Either way you do what you can that will work the best even though no matter what it won't be perfect.

When you have the type of athletes that are in the SoCon the only thing anyone can do it try to slow down the offenses enough to keep up.

MplsBison
March 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM
No, I didn't mean switch to a 3-1-7 the whole game.

What I meant was that you keep the 3 down lineman static while adjusting the number of LB/DB on the field to match the offensive formation.

IE, the offense goes into 00 personal => the defense switches to 3-1-7
the offense goes into 21 personal => the defense switches to 3-4-4
the offenses goes into 20 personal => the defense switches to 3-3-5

and so on.

ericsaid
March 16th, 2008, 03:30 PM
That works but then you make it a guessing game and lpossibly choose the wrong defense and leave a team open for big plays.

Which is mainly what spread offenses thrive off of.

I say you stick to one defense and force the offense into your game. That or go with what they are doing and hope your offense can keep up.

If the teams are evenly matched.

MplsBison
March 16th, 2008, 03:51 PM
The offense either runs no huddle, in which the personel doesn't change and thus the defense doesn't change, or they have to huddle, in which your scouts can easily see how many WRs are going to be in the next play and tell the DC so he can adjust accordingly.

Hoyadestroya85
March 16th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I don't understand this.. why not a 33 stack or a 4-2-5

ericsaid
March 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I believe Ap runs a 4-2-5 i could be wrong, but it doesn;t seem to contain the running game well enough. Most offenses in the SoCon are a run first team, so they are changing to better suit the majority of their schedule.

catdaddy2402
March 16th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I don't like the three man front, especially in FCS.

A three man front relies on you finding D-Tackles capable of taking on multiple O-linemen. The problem with that is they are so in demand that typically they end up at higher profile FBS programs.

IMO the better defense would have been the 4-2-5.

Hoyadestroya85
March 16th, 2008, 08:54 PM
our three man front works great.. but we run a very blitz happy formation in the 3-3-5
when we ran the 4-2-5 it didn't work that well even with good linebackers and linemen...
Hulea was incredible but we couldn't make it work

citdog
March 17th, 2008, 10:20 AM
WE HAVE A DT THAT ALREADY SHREDS DOUBLE TEAMS AND WITH IMPROVED DEPTH IN THIS CROP OF NEW KNOBS WE WILL BE ABLE TO GIVE TERRANCE REESE A BREATHER EVERY NOW AND THEN. I LIKE IT, AND KEVIN HIGGINS HAS BEEN RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE HE HAS DONE SINCE BECOMING OUR HEAD COACH SO I SAY WHAT EVER HE SAYS!

lizrdgizrd
March 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM
WE HAVE A DT THAT ALREADY SHREDS DOUBLE TEAMS AND WITH IMPROVED DEPTH IN THIS CROP OF NEW KNOBS WE WILL BE ABLE TO GIVE TERRANCE REESE A BREATHER EVERY NOW AND THEN. I LIKE IT, AND KEVIN HIGGINS HAS BEEN RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE HE HAS DONE SINCE BECOMING OUR HEAD COACH SO I SAY WHAT EVER HE SAYS!
What if he said that the South will not rise again? xeekx

citdog
March 17th, 2008, 02:09 PM
What if he said that the South will not rise again? xeekx

HE WOULD BE FACTUALLY INCORRECT!xthumbsupx

SuperJon
April 8th, 2008, 08:29 PM
The Citadel coaches were at Liberty today presumably getting information on the 3-4.

08Dawg
April 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
While Reese will continue to make opposing linemen look like Pop Warner, I'm a little concerned with our linebacking corps after losing Rowell. Time will tell, but I'm with Higgins all the way.

Tribe4SF
April 9th, 2008, 06:28 AM
The success of these schemes is dependent on your personnel. JMU has had the people to run a 4-2-5 setup for some time. When you go with 5 DBs, you need a couple who can play like LBs. Strong safety types who can hold their own close to the line, but can still run.

08Dawg
April 9th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Again, Reese is a monster on the D-line, and with CB Cortez Allen, Safety Jonathan Vest and hybrid LB/Safety Reggie Rice returning to our secondary, we're set there. Like I said, I'm worried about depth at linebacker with Rowell gone.

CID1990
April 9th, 2008, 10:11 PM
We'll be OK at LB. There are going to be a couple surprises this year.

terrierbob
April 9th, 2008, 10:16 PM
If a team went to a predominantly FB oriented offense, would it counter the 3-4's effectiveness? We have an awesome OL this year.

Rob Iola
April 9th, 2008, 11:15 PM
The 3-4 is for moist pink kitties...

Should be perfect for the Citadel - they'll have the right personnel...

Tribe4SF
April 10th, 2008, 06:21 AM
If a team went to a predominantly FB oriented offense, would it counter the 3-4's effectiveness? We have an awesome OL this year.

Playing you guys is all about assignments. 3-4, 4-3 or 1-6.....everybody's got a job to do.