PDA

View Full Version : To Delaware Fans: Conference

SoCon48
March 16th, 2008, 01:05 AM
What would Delaware fans think of a future conf primarily composed of the following:

ASU, Delaware, ECU, JMU, Marshall, ODU, UNCC?

furman94
March 16th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Uh, It'll never happen!

nwFL Griz
March 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
The things that would have to happen for that conference to be a reality.....wow! Especially since UNCC doesn't even have a football team.

rmutv
March 16th, 2008, 12:15 PM
The things that would have to happen for that conference to be a reality.....wow! Especially since UNCC doesn't even have a football team.

Odd. You'd think UNCC didn't realize they were all dreaming last year when they went 6-4 as an independent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=2428

EKU05
March 16th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Odd. You'd think UNCC didn't realize they were all dreaming last year when they went 6-4 as an independent.

I could be wrong, but I think he was talking about UNC-Charlotte (better known simply as Charlotte) formerly of C-USA and now in the A-10...not North Carolina Central.

But there's no chance this conference or anything like it will happen.

nwFL Griz
March 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM

Yeah, because the team that went 6-4 is NCCU, or North Carolina Central, whereas UNCC is North Carolina Charlotte.

Which is easy to differentiate because no one would group NCCU with the teams listed above. They just don't fit that way.

ericsaid
March 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah, and being in a conference like that at the FBS level would be no better if not worse than being in the FCS, look at Marshall and ECU. The FCS teams that step up will be better suited to be farmed out to local FBS conferences.

bluehenbillk
March 16th, 2008, 03:01 PM
The academic people at UD wouldn't touch that group with a 10-foot pole.

MplsBison
March 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM
What do the academic people care what conference the athletic department is in?

EKU05
March 16th, 2008, 03:35 PM
What do the academic people care what conference the athletic department is in?

Because whether it's fair or not the conference company you keep does affect the academic reputation of a university, and that's something that always worries the administration at any school.

SideLine Shooter
March 16th, 2008, 03:50 PM
What would Delaware fans think of a future conf primarily composed of the following:

It will never happen in my lifetime. Would or could be interesting if uncc gets football .:D

SideLine Shooter
March 16th, 2008, 03:53 PM

You are right. They couldn't raise the bar that much...:D

RadMann
March 16th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Forgoing the academic argument for a moment, I don't see those schools as natural rivals for the most part because of distance. The problem when coming up with dream conferences for UD fans is the reality that the university's administration does not invest heavily in athletics. They are very shrewd with the endowment (which is probably why UD is in the top 15 in most wealthy state-affiliated university systems in the country). While I could see the football program being able to rise to a level of a decent FBS conference program in terms of facilities and fan base if need be, the olympic sports are not adequately supported in my opinion for such a conference.

That said, IF they were, the natural conference would be in the mid-atlantic region, maybe down into Virginia.

Appstate29
March 16th, 2008, 07:02 PM
What academic argument is there? Most of those schools are doctoral granting schools, with academic requirements well within the range of Delawares??

Realistically, any new conference has a small chance of happening, but I can think of plenty of things that would keep this conference from fruition, but none of them are academic.

EKU05
March 16th, 2008, 07:28 PM
What academic argument is there? Most of those schools are doctoral granting schools, with academic requirements well within the range of Delawares??

Realistically, any new conference has a small chance of happening, but I can think of plenty of things that would keep this conference from fruition, but none of them are academic.

I agree entirely with that, I just disagreed with the notion that the academic people don't care at all about conference affiliation. But you're right, out of all the many road blocks that would keep this from happening academics are undoubtedly near last on the list.

RadMann
March 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM

Agreed, and I generally don't like getting into discussions about academics in an athletics board, but I think EKU05 makes a good point. The academic reputation of a university is highly guarded and protected by the board and those who oversee the institution. To be frank, I think many universities work to move up in the various academic rankings each year. That said, I don't see the academic argument as being the factor in this discussion regarding UD and the schools listed (except maybe for Marshall which has a somewhat questionable reputation). I see the proximity issue as being the main issue.

AppMan
March 17th, 2008, 05:57 AM

That sounds like some of ASU's faculty a few years back when we were going through a 1-A study. We were told a emphasis on big time athletics was detrimental to the learning environment on campus. We actually had one professor address our group and suggest ASU drop its program and adopt unc-ch since it was our state university's flag ship institution. The funny thing is he was seen sitting on the bank at every home football game last season.

89Hen
March 17th, 2008, 08:20 AM

No offense, but no thanks.

ChickenMan
March 17th, 2008, 08:56 AM
The ONLY way I would want to see Delaware move 'up' would be if they had a chance to move to a FBS league.. such as the ACC or the Big East.. otherwise staying with the CAA is fine with me.

henfan
March 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM

If you expect a serious reply to your question, you'll need to clarify.

1) Would this be an all sports affiliation?

2) Under which conference banner would this affiliation compete?

3) Assuming this is FBS for FB, what would be the guaranteed post-season bowl tie-in(s)?

4) Is this proposed conference immediately eligible for D-I Olympic sports playoffs with autobids?

5) How do these schools match up with respect to sports offered and which sports will the proposed conference sponsor?

6) Do the institutional profiles of these schools mesh to the degree that the various university boards would entertain the possibility of sports affiliations?

My gut reaction is that this could never, ever happen but you could convince me otherwise with favorable responses to the above questions. Keep in mind that just because schools in a general region might have similar FB profiles doesn't mean that the could or would want to compete against one another in an athletic conference. There have to be real incentives for each participant and many of incentives would not be related to FB in any way.

Jerbearasu
March 17th, 2008, 04:30 PM
If you expect a serious reply to your question, you'll need to clarify.

1) Would this be an all sports affiliation?

2) Under which conference banner would this affiliation compete?

3) Assuming this is FBS for FB, what would be the guaranteed post-season bowl tie-in(s)?

4) Is this proposed conference immediately eligible for D-I Olympic sports playoffs with autobids?

5) How do these schools match up with respect to sports offered and which sports will the proposed conference sponsor?

6) Do the institutional profiles of these schools mesh to the degree that the various university boards would entertain the possibility of sports affiliations?

My gut reaction is that this could never, ever happen but you could convince me otherwise with favorable responses to the above questions. Keep in mind that just because schools in a general region might have similar FB profiles doesn't mean that the could or would want to compete against one another in an athletic conference. There have to be real incentives for each participant and many of incentives would not be related to FB in any way.

I completely agree with your reaction and all of your questions are things most fans that are looking to move to the FBS just don't comprehend. I have been hearing App fans talk about "moving up" for years saying the MAC and SunBelt would be good fits. They only think of the football ramifications on the athletic department.

I am sure as a Delaware fan you have some conference rivals that you would always want to be a part of your conference and I would also bet there are some past rivals you wouldn't mind rekindling...

I know with App, I would love to see us in a conference with ECU and Marshall because they used to be rivals with us in the past but I would also want Ga Southern and Western to be a part of that conference. I also would like Furman to be in there because they are my favorite football rival and Davidson because of the basketball rivalry...

I guess I have a different question for both Delaware fans and really all fans... What schools would be in your "ideal" conference? I am sure some fans would like to see their school in the ACC or SEC and that is a fine response but I would rather like to see a hypothetical conference with schools that you have similarities to and you think good rivalries would develop for all sports...

89Hen
March 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I guess I have a different question for both Delaware fans and really all fans... What schools would be in your "ideal" conference? I am sure some fans would like to see their school in the ACC or SEC and that is a fine response but I would rather like to see a hypothetical conference with schools that you have similarities to and you think good rivalries would develop for all sports...
*Disclaimer* I only speak for myself and do not pretend to be the voice of Blue Hen fans.

Honestly? I think we're pretty darn close to perfect now. I don't want to piss off any of our conference mates, but I wouldn't mind trading in some of the northern affiliates. I have absolutely nothing against them, but Maine, UNH, URI and UMass aren't in our conference for other sports and the fact that we now only play them two out of every four years for football means that cutting them out wouldn't be such a big deal. Even Villanova can go as a conference mate. We can just schedule them OOC every year instead of West Chester.

Now that I've completely alienated all the Northern schools in the CAA :o I would like to see an all-sport version of the CAA. NO football only affilitates. ODU coming in will give us 7 current all-sport members for football:

Northeastern
Hofstra
Delaware
Towson
JMU
W&M
ODU

We're only a couple short from having a great football conference "in-house". 9 is the ideal number for a I-AA conference IMO. The problem though is we already have 12 total members in the CAA. So unless the CAA is willing to go to 14 for all-sports, it will be tough to add anyone. If none of the other existing schools start football (GSU and GMU are long-term possibilities) and I could pick two, I guess it would be Albany and Coastal xeekx :) xeyebrowx xtwocentsx xpeacex

yorkcountyUNHfan
March 17th, 2008, 05:51 PM
*Disclaimer* I only speak for myself and do not pretend to be the voice of Blue Hen fans.

Honestly? I think we're pretty darn close to perfect now. I don't want to piss off any of our conference mates, but I wouldn't mind trading in some of the northern affiliates. I have absolutely nothing against them, but Maine, UNH, URI and UMass aren't in our conference for other sports and the fact that we now only play them two out of every four years for football means that cutting them out wouldn't be such a big deal. Even Villanova can go as a conference mate. We can just schedule them OOC every year instead of West Chester.

Now that I've completely alienated all the Northern schools in the CAA :o I would like to see an all-sport version of the CAA. NO football only affilitates. ODU coming in will give us 7 current all-sport members for football:

Northeastern
Hofstra
Delaware
Towson
JMU
W&M
ODU

We're only a couple short from having a great football conference "in-house". 9 is the ideal number for a I-AA conference IMO. The problem though is we already have 12 total members in the CAA. So unless the CAA is willing to go to 14 for all-sports, it will be tough to add anyone. If none of the other existing schools start football (GSU and GMU are long-term possibilities) and I could pick two, I guess it would be Albany and Coastal xeekx :) xeyebrowx xtwocentsx xpeacex

You should have kicked us out of the conference 3 games ago....Albany and Costal but no UMass UNH or Maine??? Must want your hockey team to make it to the finals as wellxlolx xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
March 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM
That was harsh, I take some of it back.

The time will come when the CAA break happens.

Hopefully we can keep Delaware as a OCC rival but I'm not sure they'll come to Durham.....ok I'm sure they won't.

But you can't just go taking Albany.
We may even take NU back on some dark night.

Coastal you get, but a trip to the beach every other year could make me for get about the fragrant and pastel city of Newark.

Saint3333
March 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM
CAA members would rather align themselves with CCU than ASU?

If there was a CAA break, how about:

Delaware, JMU, Towson, ODU, ASU, GSU, UNCC, and Georgia St.

This would be a FBS conference with a bowl tie in, maybe two by then as there will likely be 40 bowls by 2012.

The hardest part would be getting ODU and UNCC to go along with this as a basketball conference. But add George Mason, VCU, Davidson, and CofC for basketball and that is a fairly solid basketball conference too.

PaladinFan
March 17th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Why don't you have a league where unicorns are the referees and little elves bring out the ball between plays. That makes about as much sense as this lineup.

no wait, more sense.

Saint3333
March 17th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Makes more sense than ASU, GSU, Furman, Elon, Samford, Wofford...

Sorry we didn't include you to the party.

catdaddy2402
March 18th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Forgoing the academic argument for a moment, I don't see those schools as natural rivals for the most part because of distance.

That said, IF they were, the natural conference would be in the mid-atlantic region, maybe down into Virginia.
What about if Temple were included in the mix?

Honestly with the 12 game FBS schedule a conference needs a minimum of 9 teams to ensure a balanced conference schedule home/away.

ASU, Delaware, ECU, JMU, Marshall, ODU, UNCC, and Temple give you eight. Who would be the 9th is the big question.

henfan
March 18th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I guess I have a different question for both Delaware fans and really all fans... What schools would be in your "ideal" conference?

This is such a tough question and for a lot of reasons. In the mid-Atlantic, there are really so few options, given UD's institutional bend. As 89Hen suggested, where we are (the CAA) is really the best place for us, unless the school took the highly unlikely course of ramping up athletics in a big way.

It's probably unlikely but I'm partial to conferences where all of the participants have FB programs & compete in a majority of sports against one another. FB is such a difference maker in terms of allocated resources that ADs without FB are typically much different animals than those with the sport.

Husky Alum
March 18th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Northeastern
Hofstra
Delaware
Towson
JMU
W&M
ODU

We're only a couple short from having a great football conference "in-house". 9 is the ideal number for a I-AA conference IMO. The problem though is we already have 12 total members in the CAA.

Georgia State football gives you 8, and Albany gives you 9 - bingo, there's your conference. That's 13 for all sports - perhaps you add a team down south that doesn't necessaruly play football to make UNCW happy, or if UNCW is that unhappy, perhaps the Seahawks leave - not that I'd want Wilmington to go.

From an OOC point of view, with a 10 team league, the CAA could play 8 (like it used to) with 3 OOC's - NU would still play UNH, URI, UMass every year - I'm sure.

ChickenMan
March 18th, 2008, 09:36 AM

maybe something like this...

Delaware
Army
Navy
Temple
Villanova
UMass
JMU
ASU

henfan
March 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Delaware
Army
Navy
Temple
Villanova
UMass
JMU
ASU

Great for FB, especially for the FCS schools listed, assuming it was possible to completely isolate FB from the real world. (What? No, Lehigh, Old Dominion, Marshall, UConn or Rutgers?) It would be fun for we FB fans at current FCS schools, but...

What would be the incentives for USMA & USNA for joining a league like that for FB? How does playing UD, JMU, ASU, UMass & TU enhance their FB profile?

How willing would Temple, UMass & VU be to place their Olympic sports in a league with UD, JMU and ASU or, even more so, Army & Navy? Seems like a huge step down from the Big East for VU and not a leap forward for JMU, UD, UMass, or TU either.

Most of all, how do you sell a league like that, being in/near only two major media markets (Philly & DC/BAL)?

The biggest obstacles with this conglomoration would seem to be the competing athletic interests at each school.

89Hen
March 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
CAA members would rather align themselves with CCU than ASU?
I'm one person, not CAA members. xsmiley_wix

My thought is Myrtle Beach > Boone:

1. MUCH easier to get to for most of the teams.
1a. Gives UNC-W a close conference mate.
2. A little more to do in Myrtle than Boone.
3. Adds a new state to the CAA.
xpeacex

89Hen
March 18th, 2008, 11:55 AM
perhaps you add a team down south that doesn't necessaruly play football to make UNCW happy, or if UNCW is that unhappy, perhaps the Seahawks leave - not that I'd want Wilmington to go.
That was one of the reasons I said Coastal would be a good addition. They're just over an hour from UNC-W.

I agree with henfan that I'd love to see a conference for UD where every school plays every sport, that's probably not going to happen. I really don't care about UNC-W, VCU, Mason (or Drexel or GSU), but I can't really expect them to leave their conference because we now have football.

89Hen
March 18th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Delaware
Army
Navy
Temple
Villanova
UMass
JMU
ASU

Great for FB, especially for the FCS schools listed...
How so? If that's a I-AA conference, that's WAY too tough to make it to the playoffs. If that's a I-A conference, it quickly replaces the Sun Belt as the laughing stock of I-A. xconfusedx

henfan
March 18th, 2008, 02:07 PM
How so? If that's a I-AA conference, that's WAY too tough to make it to the playoffs. If that's a I-A conference, it quickly replaces the Sun Belt as the laughing stock of I-A. xconfusedx

Please, friend. Don't mistake me as an advocate of that alignment. ;)

You just did introduce another important point, which I alluded to in an earlier post: the post-season.

89Hen
March 18th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Please, friend. Don't mistake me as an advocate of that alignment. ;)
Don't kid anyone. You know this is #2 on your priority list. Right after an annual home and home with DelSt in football. :p