PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Fans

MountaineerMania54
March 15th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I just got back from London where I attended a British Premier Football (soccer) match. If anyone on here thinks that ASU fans are out of control, you should attend one of these games. I have never been to any sporting event with an atmosphere like this. They made SEC football rivalries seem like pop warner games. I am not a soccer fan by all means, but I just thought it was a neat experience. Has anyone else had a chance to attend one of these matches?

appsfan
March 15th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Can you give us some details of what you experienced?

Mountain Panther
March 15th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I just got back from London where I attended a British Premier Football (soccer) match. If anyone on here thinks that ASU fans are out of control, you should attend one of these games. I have never been to any sporting event with an atmosphere like this. They made SEC football rivalries seem like pop warner games. I am not a soccer fan by all means, but I just thought it was a neat experience. Has anyone else had a chance to attend one of these matches?

Could you elaborate on their antics?

Dane96
March 15th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Yeah...I am pretty curious because I have been to a few Premier games and a La Liga match.

Premier League games are constant singing...and not loud. La Liga-- Crazy...drums, chanting, the whole works. I have great You Tube videos of it.

But Premier League being crazier than a DI football team. No way, no sir, no how. Guy I go with is a former Gator player...and he was trying to explain how nuts the SEC was compared to Futbol, to our Liverpool friend.

Only crazy fans I could think of is if you go to a match in Liverpool, Sunderland, or Newcastle-- Those fans are considered "rednecks." Tottenham fans are considered douchebags by all.

That being said..."the experience" is amazing at a Premier League match.

If you were in London, did you go to Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, Tottenham, etc....

Husky Alum
March 16th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I saw Arsenal play Man U at Emirates Stadium in a PL game - amazing experience. Not crazy, very loud, intense fans, great chants.

I saw Bayern Munich play Real Madrid in a Champions League match at Allianz Stadium in Munich- again an amazing experience. Incredibly loud, great fants, they wave these colored flags during different times of the game, but not rowdy or insane. I lived in Munich for a while last year and saw some great Bundesliga matches, but they weren't out of control.

When in Brazil I saw the Sao Paulo Football Club (Serie' A in Brazil) against the Corinthians. It's apparently was the biggest rivalry in Brazilian futbol. 80,000 fans, screaming, yelling, dancing, chanting, drinking caipirinhas. I don't speak a lick of portuguese, but the concierge of my hotel asked me if I wanted to go to a game and I figured it would be fun. I went in a non descript white and black shirt (both teams colors contained white and black) and I get to my seat, and this man starts talking to me in portuguese. I say to him in anglicized portuguese "do you speak english, I don't speak portuguese" and he starts to get mad at me and apparently is swearing at me in portuguese. A british woman a couple seats down from me says "he wants to know who you're rooting for". I give her a "what's the right answer" look, and she mouths to me "SPFC". I say to the man in real bad portuguese "I did not understand your question, I'm for SPFC" - the man says to me in clear english... "You're a good man, you're with us, we'll teach you the dances and the chants" and he hands me a flask. British woman nods at me as if to say "if you want to get out of here alive, drink it" - so I took a sip, and it was pure chacaxa (brazilian liquor). Drunk, and fun those brazilians were, but not crazy.

Dane96
March 16th, 2008, 03:06 AM
It seems like yesterday you were telling me that story! You should be drunk from the BE tourney!

Husky Alum
March 16th, 2008, 10:12 AM
11 games in 4 days at the CAA tournament, then 10 games in 3 days at the Big East tournament. Then I fly to AZ yesterday AM, and on a whim flew to LAX (cheapo fare on SWA) and saw the Pac 10 and Big West finals.

That's 23 basketball games in 8 days.

Dane96
March 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Are you ****ting me? WOW...that...is pretty cool.

brownbear
March 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM
11 games in 4 days at the CAA tournament, then 10 games in 3 days at the Big East tournament. Then I fly to AZ yesterday AM, and on a whim flew to LAX (cheapo fare on SWA) and saw the Pac 10 and Big West finals.

That's 23 basketball games in 8 days.

Going to any today?

Husky Alum
March 16th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Nope, I'm in Scottsdale for meetings that start tomorrow, so I'm doing this thing called golf. I stink at it, but hey, everyone else is doing it.

But if the Suns are home when I'm out here, I'll go.

aust42
March 16th, 2008, 08:42 PM

I attended one of these matches in 2001 while in London and it was a good experience. I thought the game itself was absolutely boring, the score was 0-0 but it was a great place to people watch.

SirApp
March 18th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Different fans, different atmosphere, different sport.

While in Valencia last year, I saw Chelsea vs. Valencia in Champions League. It was insane, but a different kind of insane than other sporting events I have attended. If Valencia had won though, I expect it would have been much different.