PDA

View Full Version : Morehead St schedule released

nwFL Griz
March 14th, 2008, 02:42 PM
2008 Morehead St schedule (http://www.msueagles.com/mensfootball.asp?id=9&display=schedule)

That's two publically released schedules that contradict the Butler schedule that was given here a month or so ago. I think we may need to revisit Butler's conference schedule.

danefan
March 14th, 2008, 02:46 PM
MORE-HEAD!
MORE-HEAD!
MORE-HEAD!

Sorry Schmofstra. I had to.

Not a bad schedule overall for a PFL team.

One non-DI, a playoff FCS and two NEC teams (albeit the lower end of NEC). Could be worse.

UNHWildCats
March 14th, 2008, 02:47 PM
ya the Butler schedule that was posted here is obviously wrong.

schmofstra
March 14th, 2008, 03:16 PM
MORE-HEAD!
MORE-HEAD!
MORE-HEAD!

Sorry Schmofstra. I had to.

Not a bad schedule overall for a PFL team.

One non-DI, a playoff FCS and two NEC teams (albeit the lower end of NEC). Could be worse.

Why apologize? I second that!!xnodx

Who wouldn't?:D

schmofstra
March 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM
That date with Eastern Kentucky will be a talker even for non-football fans. EKU used to be Morehead's archrival -- always the annual end-of-the-season, cold-weather game. They haven't faced each other since 1995.

On paper, this will be an easy win for the Colonels, who host the game in Richmond. But something tells me you throw away the book for this one.

Probably gonna be a lot of pep rallies and extra tailgating and hoity-toity Kentucky Blue Blood catered alumni events in both towns for this one. Well, as hoity-toity as it gets down there.

Somebody should televise it. Lexington TV stations, are you listening? With a Web cast for us expats, of course!

danefan
March 14th, 2008, 03:26 PM
ya the Butler schedule that was posted here is obviously wrong.

Maybe not.....still waiting on the whole URI/Albany/Fordham scheduling confusion to be cleared up too..............

401ks
March 14th, 2008, 03:37 PM
2008 Morehead St schedule (http://www.msueagles.com/mensfootball.asp?id=9&display=schedule)

That's two publically released schedules that contradict the Butler schedule that was given here a month or so ago. I think we may need to revisit Butler's conference schedule.

The Butler schedule has been updated to the following:

9/6 @ Albion College

9/13 vs. Franklin College

9/20 vs. Hanover College

9/27 @ Missouri University of Science & Technology

10/4 vs. Drake University

10/11 @ Campbell University

10/18 @ Valparaiso University

10/25 vs. Morehead State University

11/1 vs. Jacksonville University

11/8 vs. University of Dayton

11/15 @ University of San Diego

11/22 @ Davidson College

I believe this jibes with all current published schedules.

And yes, this schedule contains four (count them, 4!!) sub-DI teams. xeekx

I will repeat an earlier post that the 2008 schedule was established by the prior regime at Butler. According to the current staff, Gateway, Ivy, and other FCS teams will be replacing most (if not all) of the sub-DI teams on the schedule over the next few years. xcoolx

danefan
March 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM

9/6 @ Albion College

9/20 vs. Hanover College

11/22 @ Davidson College

I will repeat an earlier post that the 2008 schedule was established by the prior regime at Butler. According to the current staff, Gateway, Ivy, and other FCS teams will be replacing most (if not all) of the sub-DI teams on the schedule over the next few years. xcoolx

Doesn't mean we have to forego pooping all over it.
That schedule sucks no matter who made it. xrulesx

DetroitFlyer
March 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Doesn't mean we have to forego pooping all over it.
That schedule sucks no matter who made it. xrulesx

The only thing funnier than "pooping" when used on a message board is when someone can use "turd"....xlolx

UNHWildCats
March 14th, 2008, 03:59 PM

9/6 @ Albion College

9/20 vs. Hanover College

11/22 @ Davidson College

now that fits perfectly with what I already have

schmofstra
March 14th, 2008, 06:18 PM
That Butler schedule is a real turd:D

EKU05
March 14th, 2008, 08:30 PM
That date with Eastern Kentucky will be a talker even for non-football fans. EKU used to be Morehead's archrival -- always the annual end-of-the-season, cold-weather game. They haven't faced each other since 1995.

On paper, this will be an easy win for the Colonels, who host the game in Richmond. But something tells me you throw away the book for this one.

Probably gonna be a lot of pep rallies and extra tailgating and hoity-toity Kentucky Blue Blood catered alumni events in both towns for this one. Well, as hoity-toity as it gets down there.

Somebody should televise it. Lexington TV stations, are you listening? With a Web cast for us expats, of course!

I'd say TV is a possibility. I think WYMT usually televises the two annual basketball games through most of Eastern Kentucky, but then again to most Eastern Kentuckians basketball is more important than football. I hope we can get it on...I think this game can be very good for both programs.

What I'd really love to see is for them to dust off the "Old Hawg Rifle" that the teams used to play for way back when, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Maroons
March 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM

I hope you are correct... but I fear the game will be overshadowed by the end of the EKU/WKU rivalry.

Morehead just needs to get it together and get into OVC in football.

schmofstra
March 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
I hope you are correct... but I fear the game will be overshadowed by the end of the EKU/WKU rivalry.

Morehead just needs to get it together and get into OVC in football.

Been there. Tried that. Cost too much.xcoffeex

EKU05
March 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Been there. Tried that. Cost too much.xcoffeex

They seem to be doing a decent job getting money for the upcoming Johnson Arena rennovations, we can't even pull that off at EKU right now. I'd say it's more an issue of priorities than simply not being able to do it. If Austin Peay can do it on the shoestring budget I know their Athletic Department runs on then I know Morehead can, and I bet they'd even be one of the better teams in the league fairly quickly.

schmofstra
March 24th, 2008, 06:13 PM
They seem to be doing a decent job getting money for the upcoming Johnson Arena rennovations, we can't even pull that off at EKU right now. I'd say it's more an issue of priorities than simply not being able to do it. If Austin Peay can do it on the shoestring budget I know their Athletic Department runs on then I know Morehead can, and I bet they'd even be one of the better teams in the league fairly quickly.

I'm with you on this, believe me. When MSU went from scholly to reduced-scholly, it was because the financial losses were just intolerable.

Let's hope someday the administration and boosters can revisit this issue.
Now is probably not the time to push the envelope, however, because I understand that the Commonwealth of Kentucky is facing some brutal budget problems and higher ed is gonna take a beating. To some (influential) people, it wouldn't look right to pump a lot of funds (even privately raised funds) into football. You've already noted the expensive work on the hoops arena.

One good argument (that no one talks about) in favor of eventually boosting the status of football again is that the school is a lot larger than it used to be. When football went through its budgetary woes in the late-1980s, the undergraduate enrollment was only between 4,000 and 5,000 students. Now it's up over 8,000 students. That's not counting graduate enrollment, which has risen to over 1,500, I believe.

Strategically, I would ride this demographic wave, wait for some good economic times again, elect a governor who is a I-AA alumnus and then step up to the plate and get some successful MSU alums to pony up. xthumbsupx

By then, Papa Schmofstra might even qualify as successful. At this point, I'd be lucky to have one pad on a bucking sled named after me.xrolleyesx

DetroitFlyer
March 24th, 2008, 08:52 PM

MSU just might defeat EKU.... They might not have the depth to win the OVC without athletic scholarships, but on any given Saturday I think they could defeat any OVC team today.

EKU05
March 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM
MSU just might defeat EKU.... They might not have the depth to win the OVC without athletic scholarships, but on any given Saturday I think they could defeat any OVC team today.

I agree, but did you really have to hijack this thread too? We get it. There are plenty of good football teams in the PFL and NEC. Quite frankly next year's EKU team is a bit of a wild card anyway. Many are wanting to annoint us the early favorites in the OVC because on paper we do have an abundance of talent...

But the fact of the matter is that we lost 21 valuable seniors, and our head coach. This team could cruise to another OVC title, fall flat on its face, or anything in between. I have all the faith in the world in Dean Hood, but even the best of coaches can struggle through a transition sometimes.

So believe me...at this point I'm not taking the Morehead game for granted. It will be a very important game for us too because unless we find a 12th game (which we're still seeking) then it will be our only non conference game against an FCS team. The other two are Cincinnati who will be ranked in the pre-season FBS polls, and transitional WKU who suprised a lot of people by having a winning record last season.