PDA

View Full Version : Any FCS suitors for Ray Ray McElrathbey?

Mouse
March 13th, 2008, 07:05 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/phil_taylor/03/12/mcelrathbey.clemson/index.html

Although Clemson coach Tommy Bowden has been vague in his explanations, it appears that he pulled McElrathbey's scholarship because, after signing 25 new recruits last month, the Tigers had to take away some existing scholarships to stay under the NCAA maximum of 85. With several running backs ahead of him on the depth chart, Ray Ray became expendable. "We're pretty good at running back right now," coach Tommy Bowden said, as if that was the only issue.

he is on pace to graduate this spring

Dane96
March 13th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Bowden...is a douchebag for this. Unless Ray Ray did something really wrong we are not aware of....Bowden is a cold hearted man.

Peems
March 13th, 2008, 08:03 PM
We've had this discussion in the other sports lounge, and I believe he is staying on the team as a Graduate Assistant. Plus he is a senior and the transfer rule wouldn't let him transfer for one year anyway.

Dane96
March 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
What transfer rule-- You get released by the school when you don't ask for a release and you are free to go anywhere without sitting.

catamount man
March 13th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Everything is fine in Clemson with this situation as it's nothing more than South Carolina fans taking something that a current RB said WAAAAAAAAY out of context.

Peems
March 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM
What transfer rule-- You get released by the school when you don't ask for a release and you are free to go anywhere without sitting.

But I believe they changed the rules so that a player with only one year left could not do that.

Dane96
March 13th, 2008, 10:11 PM
As soon as the school releases you...you are free to move. It is basic contract stuff. A school can't unilaterally end a kids career by taking his ride and then, because of his years played, he is forced to sit.

Peems
March 13th, 2008, 10:48 PM
As soon as the school releases you...you are free to move. It is basic contract stuff. A school can't unilaterally end a kids career by taking his ride and then, because of his years played, he is forced to sit.

I'm wrong anyway because he has two years of eligibility left. But the one year drop down rule is in effect. It took place right after Swogger transferred to UM. Someone here with better knowledge of the "rule book" can point it out.

EDIT: here's the new ESPN story about his plans. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3291458

Dane96
March 13th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Ok...just to get closure, there IS NO ONE YEAR DROP DOWN RULE WHEN A KID IS UNILATERALLY RELEASED. He is not bound by the rules.

If, however, he asks for his release on his own accord, the rules are in effect.

I am 100% on this one.

Swogger asked for a transfer. Ray Ray would be forced to transfer. TWO SEPARATE ISSUES!

catdaddy2402
March 14th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Plus he is a senior and the transfer rule wouldn't let him transfer for one year anyway.
I know it's confusing because he's graduating but he'll be a redshirt junior eligibility wise for the 2008 season.
http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mcelrathbey_rayray00.html

Unless Ray Ray did something really wrong we are not aware of....Bowden is a cold hearted man.
There is more to the story, but rather than trash the young man it's being kept mostly quiet.
Let's just say that you can't always judge what is said about Clemson by any media market in the state because of where the journalism school in the state of South Carolina is located.

Brad82
March 14th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Rhody could be good fit.
Will let coaches know.

blur2005
March 14th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I would hope Clemson would continue to support McElrathbey, what with the business of his little brother and all that was in the news two years ago.

HIU 93
March 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM
His mom is in Atlanta and they want to be a family again. He has little chance of making an NFL roster. I say he goes to Atlanta and attends Morehouse, if he has the academics to get in. It would be good for him.

APPdopted
March 14th, 2008, 08:48 AM
As far as I know there is still a support infrastructure in place for him, as well as the grad assistant financial support if he so chooses. I believe he graduates in August, not this spring. I am at Clemson now, but haven't been around any athletes this week since the story came out to get any info from them. Sorry I don't have any "non-media" reports to share. If I find out anything I'll probably post back here.

kardplayer
March 14th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Help me understand why this is a big deal? He got a college scholarship and he graduated from college.

elcid96
March 14th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Help me understand why this is a big deal? He got a college scholarship and he graduated from college.

Exactly. He is graduating and did not have to pay for his school. The drop simply means he is not going to get paid to stick around for graduate school.

dgreco
March 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM
His mom is in Atlanta and they want to be a family again. He has little chance of making an NFL roster. I say he goes to Atlanta and attends Morehouse, if he has the academics to get in. It would be good for him.

That makes the most sense to me and might end up being a better route for his career/life. Even if he has to drop back a year it might be overall better for the kid. Hopefully he gets to make a decision and isn't stuck with something.

smallcollegefbfan
March 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I know it's confusing because he's graduating but he'll be a redshirt junior eligibility wise for the 2008 season.
http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mcelrathbey_rayray00.html

There is more to the story, but rather than trash the young man it's being kept mostly quiet.
Let's just say that you can't always judge what is said about Clemson by any media market in the state because of where the journalism school in the state of South Carolina is located.

Glad to see some people know the truth. Ray Ray is a great big brother but it seems Bowden was totally in the right here. If you here the facts you will see Ray Ray is actually in a great situation. The only reason people are making a big deal is because of what happened with him and his brother and the story that created.

Cobblestone
March 14th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Rhody could be good fit.
Will let coaches know.

James Jenkins was, we got him from Clemson.