PDA

View Full Version : TSN Article- Caught Speeding

smallcollegefbfan
March 12th, 2008, 08:49 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4134594

smallcollegefbfan
March 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM
One thing I would note is that many football players were track stars or at least did it at some point. If I had the choice of track or football I would pick football. Wouldn't most of you all rather play football?

eddyg
March 12th, 2008, 09:07 PM
surprised he even mentioned flacco

smallcollegefbfan
March 13th, 2008, 12:41 AM
surprised he even mentioned flacco

Flacco is one of the better players in the FCS. He has to mention him. :D

lucchesicourt
March 13th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Financially, if an athlete is fast and can play football he surely would choose football over track. How many track athletes make millions running verse football players? I would guess that pro football would have as many athletes who could have been track stars in their fold as there are track stars who just run track..

JohnStOnge
March 13th, 2008, 06:08 AM
If the assumption that the fastest in the 40 would always be running track were true, track guys would always run the fastest 40s in the combine. And that hasn't happened. Track deals with longer distances. The fact that one guy is faster over 40 yards doesn't mean the other guy isn't faster over 60, 100, or 200 meters.

Oh...and yes I do think most would choose football. Ted Ginn, for example, did that at Ohio State. He'd run the fastest Ohio high school 100 meters time ever but concentrated on football when he went to college.

JohnStOnge
March 13th, 2008, 06:13 AM
He left out one of Bryan Smith's listed top 10 finishes. He finished listed in the top 10 of his group in the veritical jump, broad jump, 20 yard shuttle, and three cone drill. He also was listed in the top 10 in his group in the 40 at 4.75 for a while. In fact, for a while, sometimes you'd go to the page and they'd have him listed and others not. I'd like to find out why they dropped him off the list. Unless they decided something was wrong with the time they had listed for him, he was tied with two other guys for eighth in his group.

To me, they ought to also time linemen and linebackers over shorter distances. Maybe 10 yards and 20 yards. I suspect that how quick they are over such shorter differences is more important to what they're usually doing than how fast they are over 40 yards is.

AppGrad06
March 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM
He left out one of Bryan Smith's listed top 10 finishes. He finished listed in the top 10 of his group in the veritical jump, broad jump, 20 yard shuttle, and three cone drill. He also was listed in the top 10 in his group in the 40 at 4.75 for a while. In fact, for a while, sometimes you'd go to the page and they'd have him listed and others not. I'd like to find out why they dropped him off the list. Unless they decided something was wrong with the time they had listed for him, he was tied with two other guys for eighth in his group.

To me, they ought to also time linemen and linebackers over shorter distances. Maybe 10 yards and 20 yards. I suspect that how quick they are over such shorter differences is more important to what they're usually doing than how fast they are over 40 yards is.

That's what the shuttle run is good for.

mcveyrl
March 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Financially, if an athlete is fast and can play football he surely would choose football over track. How many track athletes make millions running verse football players? I would guess that pro football would have as many athletes who could have been track stars in their fold as there are track stars who just run track..

I know the guys that represent Xavier Carter. If you remember, he played football for LSU.

He's now one of the leaders in the 200 meters world-wide. If you're really dominant at track and mediocre at football, there's a lot more money to be made in track (endorsements alone would dwarf your football salary).

In track, your fan base is world-wide, football's fairly limited. I think we in the states understimate the popularity of track and field globally.

Granted, he's probably the exception to the rule, but it happens.

HIU 93
March 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
One thing I would note is that many football players were track stars or at least did it at some point. If I had the choice of track or football I would pick football. Wouldn't most of you all rather play football?

Coulson is making crazy assumptions again. There are many reasons why football players are as fast as they seem to be, and why for short distances, like the 40, they may be as fast as Olympians. He needs to take those into account, but, hey, it is Coulson after all.

mcveyrl
March 13th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Coulson is making crazy assumptions again. There are many reasons why football players are as fast as they seem to be, and why for short distances, like the 40, they may be as fast as Olympians. He needs to take those into account, but, hey, it is Coulson after all.

Whatever do you mean....?:p

turfdoc
March 13th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Many football players do extremely well during the indoor track season because of the events like the 60 meter. Once they have to run 100 m they often don't have the tail end speed. One other thing some fo my friends on the track team preferred track because there wasn't a 250lb linebacker knocking their block off and they also new they had about as much chance of making the show in football as snowball has a chance in....