PDA

View Full Version : Potential Draft Picks from Your School?

Eight Legger
March 12th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Who might be drafted from your school next month?

For Richmond, it seems likely that WR Arman Shields will be picked in the middle rounds. He had a great combine performance and wowed a lot of scouts. Possible that RB Tim Hightower could be picked, but more likely that he will sign with someone after the draft.

Hoyadestroya85
March 12th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Matt Sherry moved up to #18 on Draft Scout's TE rankings recently, if he runs anywhere close to a 4.70 40 especially below he'll at least be an early Free Agent Signing

bincitysioux
March 12th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Probably won't be drafted, but WR Weston Dressler and DB Donovan Alexander from UND could get interest as free agents.

smallcollegefbfan
March 12th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I think Dressler and Alexander should get into a camp.

Here are the FCS players I could see getting drafted.

Dexter Jackson Appalachian State
Kerry Brown Appalachian State
Corey Lynch Appalachian State
Bobbie Williams Bethune-Cookman
Ronnie McCullough Bethune-Cookman
Jerome Simpson Coastal Carolina
Joe Flacco Delaware
Shaheer McBride Delaware State
Bruce Hocker Duquesne
Antwaun Molden Eastern Kentucky
Jerome Felton Furman
Brian Johnston Gardner-Webb
Jayson Foster Georgia Southern
Kendall Langford Hampton
Marcus Dixon Hampton
Rudolph Hardie Howard
Jaymar Johnson Jackson State
Bryan Smith McNeese State
Thaddeus Coleman Mississippi Valley State
Kroy Biermann Montana
Lex Hilliard Montana
Chad Simpson Morgan State
Mike Dragosavich North Dakota State
Joe Mays North Dakota State
Chad Rinehart Northern Iowa
Brandon Keith Northern Iowa
Demetrius Bell Northwestern State
Brennen Carvalho Portland State
Arman Shields Richmond
Tim Hightower Richmond
Josh Johnson San Diego
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tennessee State
Matthew Sherry Villanova
David Hale Weber State

Eyes of Old Main
March 12th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I don't see any from Wofford being draft. Kevious Johnson has the talent and heart, but I'm not sure he'll get the look he deserves. I've given up being surprised, though. I thought Katon Bethay was a mortal lock for at least a free agent contract last year and he ended up in Arena Football.

PaladinFan
March 12th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I don't see any from Wofford being draft. Kevious Johnson has the talent and heart, but I'm not sure he'll get the look he deserves. I've given up being surprised, though. I thought Katon Bethay was a mortal lock for at least a free agent contract last year and he ended up in Arena Football.

locks are strange. I thought William Freeman would have been picked up a few years ago.

already123
March 12th, 2008, 10:56 PM
how many FCS players got drafted last year?

SuperJon
March 12th, 2008, 11:07 PM
We have two that I think could get drafted, and a few others that I think will get invited to camp.

The two that I think might get drafted are OL Eddie Pinigis and LB Vince Redd. The Cleveland Browns sent their team president to our pro day, and the NY Giants sent their position coach to our pro day, both for Redd but Cleveland also wanted to see Pinigis. It's one thing to have scouts show up for pro day. It's a completely different thing to have coaches and front office personnel show up.

smallcollegefbfan
March 13th, 2008, 12:42 AM
We have two that I think could get drafted, and a few others that I think will get invited to camp.

The two that I think might get drafted are OL Eddie Pinigis and LB Vince Redd. The Cleveland Browns sent their team president to our pro day, and the NY Giants sent their position coach to our pro day, both for Redd but Cleveland also wanted to see Pinigis. It's one thing to have scouts show up for pro day. It's a completely different thing to have coaches and front office personnel show up.

Redd could possibly get drafted based on potential. He certainly has the size/speed combo.

aust42
March 13th, 2008, 12:52 AM
how many FCS players got drafted last year?

Good Question, I was inspired to do some quick research. IF my calculations are correct there were a total of 11 FCS players (of which 4 were CAA players) drafted last year. Of the 255 players selected in the draft last year, 238 were from the 1A ranks, 11 were from the 1AA ranks and 6 were from the rest of the college football classifications. Not sure how many 1AAees were signed as free agents or the total # of those who made rosters as draftees/free agents.

1st Round - 0
2nd Round - 0
3rd Round - 0
4th Round - 2 Brown, Towson
5th Round - 2, N.C. Central, New Hampshire
6th Round - 3 Nicholas State, Maine, Central CT State
7th Round - 4 Cal Poly, Delaware, Coastal Carolina, Elon

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft

SuperJon
March 13th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Redd could possibly get drafted based on potential. He certainly has the size/speed combo.

His pro day was sick. The combination of athletic ability (jumping, etc) and speed was amazing. He put up better 40/vertical numbers than some of the top receivers.

ERASU2113
March 13th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Of course there's Dexter.......as to when and where he'll go who knows?

Likely third or fourth - Charlotte Observer mentions he could possibly be taken in the second if the right team is there.

PaladinFan
March 13th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Of course there's Dexter.......as to when and where he'll go who knows?

Likely third or fourth - Charlotte Observer mentions he could possibly be taken in the second if the right team is there.

I doubt he'll go in the second. The NFL is a league that really deals in measurables, and while fast, Jackson is still 5'10. You'd be hard pressed to find a team that is willing to take a chance on an FCS player who will really become a kick returner in the second round. Even then, I don't really recall Jackson as being that great of a returner (if he even was one). My gut says Simpson will be the first FCS receiver taken.

I'm not really sure where Jerome Felton will fall. He brings more to the table than some of the other fullbacks with a combination of size, speed, and ability to catch the ball. His consistency and relative lack of injuries at the most physical position on the field probably will put him in the 6th round or so. Like kickers, fullbacks can often go overlooked.

skinny_uncle
March 13th, 2008, 09:43 AM
From SIU, QB Nick Hill and OL Darren Marquez seemed to draw the most attention from the scouts.

smallcollegefbfan
March 13th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Good Question, I was inspired to do some quick research. IF my calculations are correct there were a total of 11 FCS players (of which 4 were CAA players) drafted last year. Of the 255 players selected in the draft last year, 238 were from the 1A ranks, 11 were from the 1AA ranks and 6 were from the rest of the college football classifications. Not sure how many 1AAees were signed as free agents or the total # of those who made rosters as draftees/free agents.

1st Round - 0
2nd Round - 0
3rd Round - 0
4th Round - 2 Brown, Towson
5th Round - 2, N.C. Central, New Hampshire
6th Round - 3 Nicholls State, Maine, Central CT State
7th Round - 4 Cal Poly, Delaware, Coastal Carolina, Elon

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft

Add

LB Justin Durant, Hampton- 2nd round
WR Laurent Robinson, Illinois State- 3rd round
LB Johnny Baldwin, Alabama A&M- 5th round
CB Michael Coe, Alabama State- 5th round
LB Adam Hayward, Portland State- 6th round
CB Rashad Barksdale, Albany- 6th round
DE Jacob Ford, Central Arkansas- 6th round

NC Central was D2 at the time, so don't include them.

smallcollegefbfan
March 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM
His pro day was sick. The combination of athletic ability (jumping, etc) and speed was amazing. He put up better 40/vertical numbers than some of the top receivers.

Yeah he did. Still have to look at a player and see if he can play football. I am not saying Redd can't but just saying that smart people don't fall for these workouts numbers if they don't translate to the field. If you put up great numbers but don't show that ability on the field, then that player should not be upgraded just because he looks great in shorts.

smallcollegefbfan
March 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM
From SIU, QB Nick Hill and OL Darren Marquez seemed to draw the most attention from the scouts.

I could see Hill going in the 7th round as long as he has good workouts. He lacks a great arm but has enough arm strength to get a legit look.

HIU 93
March 13th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Add

He was the first FCS player taken last year, at #48. I think he probably had the most impressive year of all the FCS rookies as well.

PaladinFan
March 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I could see Hill going in the 7th round as long as he has good workouts. He lacks a great arm but has enough arm strength to get a legit look.

Will be interesting for FCS quarterbacks not named Flacco. It's likely no quarterback other than Ryan will go in the 1st round. Will push a lot of good FBS qbs back into the later rounds.

smallcollegefbfan
March 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Will be interesting for FCS quarterbacks not named Flacco. It's likely no quarterback other than Ryan will go in the 1st round. Will push a lot of good FBS qbs back into the later rounds.

It really will. Next year's small school QB group seems to lack a day one guy but has many more draftable players. I have seen a couple FCS and D2 QBs for next year.

montanafan
March 13th, 2008, 01:49 PM
What about Dan Carpenter (place kicker) from Montana? He set the FCS record for most career points for a kicker this season (413) and sits at #10 all time for all kickers with 75 FG made in his career. What are your thoughts?

Hoyadestroya85
March 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Marquez i think has a better chance, i read that at the all star game, Hill wasn't very impressive in the arm strength department

HIU 93
March 13th, 2008, 01:53 PM
What about Dan Carpenter (place kicker) from Montana? He set the FCS record for most career points for a kicker this season (413) and sits at #10 all time for all kickers with 75 FG made in his career. What are your thoughts?

Probably a free agent or a late round pick. Most teams don't want to spend draft picks on kickers, unless you're talking about the Raiders.xlolx

Hoyadestroya85
March 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Janikowski was worth it, that was a terrible first round

smallcollegefbfan
March 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Marquez i think has a better chance, i read that at the all star game, Hill wasn't very impressive in the arm strength department

it seems Hill is higher rated but to be honest I would be surprised if either were drafted.

aust42
March 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Add

WR Laurent Robinson, Illinois State- 3rd round
LB Johnny Baldwin, Alabama A&M- 5th round
CB Michael Coe, Alabama State- 5th round
LB Adam Hayward, Portland State- 6th round
CB Rashad Barksdale, Albany- 6th round
DE Jacob Ford, Central Arkansas- 6th round

NC Central was D2 at the time, so don't include them.

Wow I missed a bunch of them at 1st glance.

Retro
March 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Cromartie will be the first FCS player taken and likely in the first 20 picks. Flacco will be the second, likely late in first round or second round..

After that it's a crap shoot depending on the needs of team.. Most teams feel they can get a steal with an FCS player by picking him late or just signing him as a FA, especially if they don't see a lot of publicity about the player.

UNH SUPERFAN
March 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I will never understand the apparent knock on Ricky Santos! I read one draft mag that said he didn't have NFL skills, a comment I can't even fathom! I believe he is going to the BC pro day on March 18, Matt Ryan will be there so it will be a chance for him to show his stuff.

I think that whatever team takes a chance on Rick Santos will be getting a helluva QB.

HENJOHN
March 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I think scouts are missing out on Ricky Santos as well. He might not have all of the correct measurables, but he is a complete warrior and a good enough QB to at least play in the league IMO. I look for him to initially get on someones roster as a 3rd QB and just kind of stick around until he gets a chance.

Hoyadestroya85
March 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
i hope santos gets a shot he has all the intangibles

blueballs
March 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I doubt he'll go in the second. The NFL is a league that really deals in measurables, and while fast, Jackson is still 5'10. You'd be hard pressed to find a team that is willing to take a chance on an FCS player who will really become a kick returner in the second round.

Which raises this question... since they both translate at the next level in exactly the same role, would you take Dexter Jackson ahead of Jayson Foster?

The answer to that question will MOL answer the question about whether Jackson is a second rounder.

AppGrad06
March 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Which raises this question... since they both translate at the next level in exactly the same role, would you take Dexter Jackson ahead of Jayson Foster?

The answer to that question will MOL answer the question about whether Jackson is a second rounder.

In terms of what scouts would be thinking you have to take Jackson ahead of Foster. He has proven himself in Shine and Senior bowl practices and the combine and has gotten a lost of press. Foster on the other hand hasn't had the opportunities Dex has. He'll have his pro-day to showcase his skills, but pro-days just don't have the same impact as the combine and all the publicity Dex has had.

Will Dex go in the second round? It's doubtful but not out of the realm of possibility. I have read a couple of articles that compared him favorably with DeShawn Jackson, who will be a first rounder.

By the way Deshawn and Dex are the same height with practically identical speed, but Dex is about 13lbs heavier. I am in no way saying Dex would get picked up before DeShawn but the the similarities could help his prospects.

smallcollegefbfan
March 13th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Cromartie will be the first FCS player taken and likely in the first 20 picks. Flacco will be the second, likely late in first round or second round..

After that it's a crap shoot depending on the needs of team.. Most teams feel they can get a steal with an FCS player by picking him late or just signing him as a FA, especially if they don't see a lot of publicity about the player.

DRC is DEFINITELY the top FCS player. He might go as high as the 10-15 range. Flacco will probably go early 2nd round unless Parcells trades down for him. Don't be surprised if another FCS player surprises and goes 2nd round.

smallcollegefbfan
March 13th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I think scouts are missing out on Ricky Santos as well. He might not have all of the correct measurables, but he is a complete warrior and a good enough QB to at least play in the league IMO. I look for him to initially get on someones roster as a 3rd QB and just kind of stick around until he gets a chance.

Just because the media does not rate him high does not mean the NFL teams don't like him. I would not be shocked if he went in the 7th round after a good workout at BC. He will need a good workout, though.

smallcollegefbfan
March 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM
In terms of what scouts would be thinking you have to take Jackson ahead of Foster. He has proven himself in Shine and Senior bowl practices and the combine and has gotten a lost of press. Foster on the other hand hasn't had the opportunities Dex has. He'll have his pro-day to showcase his skills, but pro-days just don't have the same impact as the combine and all the publicity Dex has had.

Will Dex go in the second round? It's doubtful but not out of the realm of possibility. I have read a couple of articles that compared him favorably with DeSean Jackson, who will be a first rounder.

By the way DeSean and Dex are the same height with practically identical speed, but Dex is about 13lbs heavier. I am in no way saying Dex would get picked up before DeSean but the the similarities could help his prospects.

I could see DeSean Jackson drop on draft day. There have been rumors about him that appear to now be true. He also has a red flag due to his bulk. He lacks the size to be an every down receiver early on.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 13th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I will never understand the apparent knock on Ricky Santos! I read one draft mag that said he didn't have NFL skills, a comment I can't even fathom! I believe he is going to the BC pro day on March 18, Matt Ryan will be there so it will be a chance for him to show his stuff.

I think that whatever team takes a chance on Rick Santos will be getting a helluva QB.

I read that he is participating in the BC pro day. I agree that I think they're missing the boat on Ricky. You know the deal, anybody that doesn't fit their ideal mold for a position doesn't get enough credit and opportunity. But if nothing with the NFL works out, I've got to think that someone up in Canada will be calling his cell!!!

Tell you what, if I'm an NFL exec, I'm giving Jeff Pammer the chance to make my team too. If nothing else, he would be one heck of a special teams player!! He could have a Dan Kreider type career.