View Full Version : NEC pushing for postseason bowl game

aceinthehole
September 29th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Monmouth unhappy with lack of opportunity to play in bowl game
Published in the Asbury Park Press 09/29/05

BY TONY GRAHAM
STAFF WRITER

In search of a football postseason.

That remains the unfulfilled quest of the Northeast Conference, of which Monmouth University is a member, in its bid to land a postseason bowl game for at least one of its eight football-playing schools.

According to NEC Commissioner John Iamarino, nothing will happen until 2007 at the earliest. And that's not exactly etched in stone either.

The MAAC's withdrawal from the ECAC Bowl after the 2003 season, when NEC co-champion Monmouth bowed to MAAC winner Duquesne, left the NEC champion high and dry regarding a postseason bowl or playoff opportunity.

Iamarino said an NEC application to the NCAA and subsequent appeals for an automatic berth in the Division I-AA football playoffs have been rejected.

Now, according to Iamarino, the latest idea is for playoffs among the three limited or non-scholarship leagues: the NEC, the MAAC and the Pioneer League, which currently conducts its own internal playoffs. A similar plan for the NEC never got off the ground.

"We would hope something could be in place for 2007," Iamarino said. "On a very peripheral basis there would be a two-week, four-team playoff perhaps with each of the (three) conferences getting an automatic (bid) and then a committee selecting a wild card.

"Then you play at home sites, you seed the teams and have 1 play 4 and 2 play 3 and go from there.

"But the key is going to be NCAA funding. For a school in our league, let's say to have to make two trips to play teams from the Pioneer League which would be very cost prohibitive."

The nine schools in the Pioneer League range geographically from Dayton, Ohio, to Jacksonville, Fla., to San Diego.

"There has been discussions among people in the NCAA and among (league) commissioners of trying to put this together. But there are a lot of different hoops we have to jump through."

Iamarino noted: "And there are some people out there who say, "Why are we creating another championship for football when we already have one in I-AA?'

Eaglegus2
September 29th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Exactly, why would you make another championship game in 1-AA?

The money spent could be used to promote the 1-AA Championship game on a Saturday instead of Friday night.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Iamarino said an NEC application to the NCAA and subsequent appeals for an automatic berth in the Division I-AA football playoffs have been rejected.
As they should be IMO. Wouldn't be fair to the teams that put money into football and play a schedule worthy of a bid.

Now, according to Iamarino, the latest idea is for playoffs among the three limited or non-scholarship leagues: the NEC, the MAAC and the Pioneer League, which currently conducts its own internal playoffs. A similar plan for the NEC never got off the ground.
Now THAT's a great idea!

henfan
September 29th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Does anyone know why there isn't overwhelming support for this plan?

There's exactly one team on the West coast that could potentially participate- San Diego. By and large, the majority of teams participating in this sort of playoff would be teams in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast participating. Would it really be that cost-prohibitive to have Drake, Valpo or J'ville participate? Come on.

aceinthehole
September 29th, 2005, 10:00 AM
As they should be IMO. Wouldn't be fair to the teams that put money into football and play a schedule worthy of a bid.

Now THAT's a great idea!

yes, but ...

Iamarino noted: "And there are some people out there who say, "Why are we creating another championship for football when we already have one in I-AA?'

bluehenbillk
September 29th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Maybe if they could play competitively for 60 minutes against a playoff team this would be a worthy discussion. How many did MU lose to Lehigh by? Heck they beat a mediocre D-2 team California(PA) by one whole point.

Bub
September 29th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Does anyone know why there isn't overwhelming support for this plan?

There's exactly one team on the West coast that could potentially participate- San Diego. By and large, the majority of teams participating in this sort of playoff would be teams in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast participating. Would it really be that cost-prohibitive to have Drake, Valpo or J'ville participate? Come on.

I'd say views like that expressed by 89hen are being given some attention. However, those views do not give adequate weight to the fact that this whole problem exists, due not to the actions of these schools, but due to the actions of the NCAA in mandating Div I schools play all their sports at the divisional level. IMHO, the NCAA has to step up and fix the problem, by providing these schools the "real"opportunity for post season play the NCAA took away. As many have pointed out, the chance for the NS I-AA teams to make it into the I-AA playoffs is nil.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 10:18 AM
I'm certainly not one of 'some people'. The NEC, MAAC and Pioneer have never been a part of the I-AA playoffs because of their SOS. So I would say, they'd be creating a championship for those not included in the I-AA championship. Seems reasonable to me. I'm not blaming the mid-majors for their prediciment, I leave all the blame to the NCAA for forcing them to participate in DI football to keep their other sports in DI. I've been opposed to that rule forever. Let the non-schollies play in a non-schollie division already!

Edit: Bub beat me to it. It's the NCAA's fault IMO.

aceinthehole
September 29th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I agree that its the NCAA fault, so they should help fix it.

Second, Delaware fans and those from other A-10 schools, please do not compare the the top mid-majors like Monmouth, San Diego, or CCSU to the A-10. Its just not fair. Without kissing up to you all, we all know that the worst A-10 team, (sorry Towson) is still a big notch ahead of our best. The A-10 conference is too deep and powerfull, period. It is clearly comparable to the I-A Sun Belt in many ways.

However, I again ask you to compare us to the weakest auto-bids conferences (MEAC or OVC), or other lower-tier scholarships conference (Big South or SWAC).

The question isn't can we compete with best of the crop, but how do we compare with other eligible teams and conferences. I'd like to see more matchups between these team to see how we compare. I mean is there that much of a competive difference between:

Monmouth and Delaware State
San Diego and Princeston
Central Conn and Alabama A & M
Marist and Samford

blur2005
September 29th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Exactly, why would you make another championship game in 1-AA?

The money spent could be used to promote the 1-AA Championship game on a Saturday instead of Friday night.
Just so Ralph doesn't bitch at you, it's I-AA.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM
The question isn't can we compete with best of the crop, but how do we compare with other eligible teams and conferences. I'd like to see more matchups between these team to see how we compare. I mean is there that much of a competive difference between:

San Diego and Princeston
Marist and Samford
You've actually picked two schools (Princeton and Alabama A&M) that don't participate in the playoffs. But if you're comparing yourself to the bottom of the lowest conferences that get autos, you're not making much of a case to get an auto IMO.

GannonFan
September 29th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I agree that its the NCAA fault, so they should help fix it.

Second, Delaware fans and those from other A-10 schools, please do not compare the the top mid-majors like Monmouth, San Diego, or CCSU to the A-10. Its just not fair. Without kissing up to you all, we all know that the worst A-10 team, (sorry Towson) is still a big notch ahead of our best. The A-10 conference is too deep and powerfull, period. It is clearly comparable to the I-A Sun Belt in many ways.

However, I again ask you to compare us to the weakest auto-bids conferences (MEAC or OVC), or other lower-tier scholarships conference (Big South or SWAC).

San Diego and Princeston
Marist and Samford

Then get on with it and start scheduling and beating teams from those conferences you think are the weakest auto-bid leagues and then you'll get more than enough support from me. No one is saying the NEC or their like needs to beat Montana in Missoula regularly to prove they deserve an auto-bid, but you need to beat somebody else than who you're beating now. CCSU beating Colgate was a start, but since then we've seen that Colgate isn't very good. And besides, it's just one game. Monmouth and Albany are among the schools supposedly making strides to get closer to the scholly IAA level, but they still get destroyed by any good IAA team they play. It's not going to happen overnight but following what CCU has done this year may be a start - they play in a dreadful conference and could never hope to get in just playing that level of competition, so at least they scheduled 2 really good schools (and beat one) and 1 other school (SCSt) a little below them (I know what the rankings are but I think App St and JMU are better than SC St) and if they win 2 out of 3 of those then they're probably in the playoffs. But you need to schedule the games and then you need to win most of them - that's how it works.

Bub
September 29th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Then get on with it and start scheduling and beating teams from those conferences you think are the weakest auto-bid leagues and then you'll get more than enough support from me.

Therein lies the problem. Those fully funded I-AA's that we have a realistic shot of beating won't play us. I think we would have much rather played SEMO and Indiana State rather than UNI and Ill State. We'd love to play some Ivy schools or Patriot's, but again no luck.

We are between the perverbial rock and hard place. :(

aceinthehole
September 29th, 2005, 01:37 PM
You've actually picked two schools (Princeton and Alabama A&M) that don't participate in the playoffs. But if you're comparing yourself to the bottom of the lowest conferences that get autos, you're not making much of a case to get an auto IMO.

Yes, but they (Ivy and SWAC) CHOOSE not to participate. If they asked to get in, I'm sure the NCAA (and others) would support their inclusion.

Also, I was not trying to compare top mid-majors to the bottom of the lowest conferences, but instead to a representative or average team from those conferences. So I'm just wondering, but what I-AA schools would you compare teams like Stony Brook, San Diego, CCSU, and Duquense to?

FYI -
Stony Brook beat Bucknell 21-18 (and lost to G-town 7-10)
San Diego beat Yale 17-14 (and lost to Princeton 17-20)
CCSU beat Colgate 24-22 (and lost to URI 10-56)
Duquense beat Fordham 30-13 (and lost to Columbia 13-23)

I'd argue that any of thses mid-majors would be very competative and likely finish with a winning record in the PL or Ivy (or any similar league like the SWAC or MEAC) on a full time basis, however they have a much smaller sample of games against these type of teams (1 or 2 a season) so they have little margin for error.

Finally, I agree and would like to see the NEC play more teams from the OVC, MEAC, and Big South to see how they measure up. Currently the NEC teams generally only play the PL and A-10 teams (beside the other mid-majors) in OOC games.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Then get on with it and start scheduling and beating teams from those conferences you think are the weakest auto-bid leagues and then you'll get more than enough support from me.

...CCSU beating Colgate was a start, since then we've seen that Colgate isn't very good. And besides, it's just one game.

So, in effect, aren't you saying what the threshold for you is, and then in the next sentence raising the bar?

Is there any doubt that this year Monmouth and CCSU (and maybe Marist) could compete at the lower levels of the Patriot League (at least)? Stony Brook beat Bucknell and Duquesne beat Fordham - and these guys are not even the best mid-major teams.

It's circular logic to say that "I'm waiting for you to beat a good I-AA team from a playoff conference". Then CCSU beats Colgate, and then you say, "Well, Colgate isn't that good - they lost to CCSU, didn't they?" Colgate is not a bad team - they did beat nationally-ranked UMass of the A-10.

If you said "Maine beat Mississippi St." last year, and then turned around and said, "Yeah, well Mississippi St. wasn't that good - they lost to Maine - and besides, it's only one game", you'd probably see the argument better.

I've been very impressed with the upper-schelon NEC teams this year. I'd put Monmouth's first-team offense up there with any I-AA school - they are that good. I think it's pretty presumptuous to say that Monmouth couldn't do well in the I-AA playoffs.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Those fully funded I-AA's that we have a realistic shot of beating won't play us. I think we would have much rather played SEMO and Indiana State rather than UNI and Ill State. We'd love to play some Ivy schools or Patriot's, but again no luck.

In the last eight years Drake has played:
UNI
Illinois State
Missouri State
Western Illinois
FAU
Towson
South Florida (in their first year)

Dayton got Yale to play them last year coming off a stretch where the Flyers only lost 4 games in 3 years. I've NEVER bought into the "they're scared" theory.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I think it's pretty presumptuous to say that Monmouth couldn't do well in the I-AA playoffs.
I don't. Monmouth got waxed by Lehigh. Lehigh is a playoff team. Stony beat Bucknell, but they are not a playoff team. They got waxed by Hofstra. Hofstra is maybe a playoff team.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 02:02 PM
FYI -
Stony Brook beat Bucknell 21-18 (and lost to G-town 7-10)
San Diego beat Yale 17-14 (and lost to Princeton 17-20)
CCSU beat Colgate 24-22 (and lost to URI 10-56)
Duquense beat Fordham 30-13 (and lost to Columbia 13-23)

I'd argue that any of thses mid-majors would be very competative and likely finish with a winning record in the PL or Ivy (or any similar league like the SWAC or MEAC)
I can't agree with them having a winning record in the PL, Ivy or any other scholarship equivalent conference.

Stony Brook beat Bucknell, but lost to Hofstra, Gtown, Lehigh, Hofstra, Gtown... going further back than this year.

San Diego beat Yale, but has lost to Princeton, Princeton, Penn, Yale, Brown... going further back than this year.

CCSU beat Colgate, but lost to URI, URI, UNH, UMass, Maine, UMass, Lehigh.... going further back than this year.

Duquesne is the only one that you may have a case with their wins over G'twon, Bucknell, HC and Lafayette (who were all the bottom of the PL), but considering they are 33-0 in the MAAC since losing to Iona in 1999, they are the single most dominant team of any conference in I-AA. I don't think ANY team can make anywhere near a claim of 33 consecutive conference wins. So you've got one team that is head and shoulders above their conference beating the bottom of the Patriot.

aceinthehole
September 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM
So, in effect, aren't you saying what the threshold for you is, and then in the next sentence raising the bar?

Is there any doubt that this year Monmouth and CCSU (and maybe Marist) could compete at the lower levels of the Patriot League (at least)? Stony Brook beat Bucknell and Duquesne beat Fordham - and these guys are not even the best mid-major teams.

It's circular logic to say that "I'm waiting for you to beat a good I-AA team from a playoff conference". Then CCSU beats Colgate, and then you say, "Well, Colgate isn't that good - they lost to CCSU, didn't they?" Colgate is not a bad team - they did beat nationally-ranked UMass of the A-10.

If you said "Maine beat Mississippi St." last year, and then turned around and said, "Yeah, well Mississippi St. wasn't that good - they lost to Maine - and besides, it's only one game", you'd probably see the argument better.

I've been very impressed with the upper-schelon NEC teams this year. I'd put Monmouth's first-team offense up there with any I-AA school - they are that good. I think it's pretty presumptuous to say that Monmouth couldn't do well in the I-AA playoffs.

Thanks Lehigh! Gannon, I agree its just 1 game but you are not looking at the full picture and you can't make excuses for every mid-major win.

I think the CCSU win over Colgate was huge, even if its only one game - it is a start. The next week Colgate bounces back and beats UMass, so I don't think we can say Colgate isn't any good. Then, that same UMass team beats URI who handeled CCSU pretty well. And although CCSU was beat by an improved Rams team, I'd note URI scored 2 special teams and 1 defensive TD. The CCSU defense actually played better against the URI offense than Fordham or W&M. Also, CCSU rushed for more yards against the URI defense than Fordham, W&M, or UMass!

Generally, most full scholarship teams are too deep and have a 2nd half edge vs. mid-majors, but starter for starter, many mid-majors stack up very nice to IAA teams. I'm glad the NEC has earned the PL respect, but there is still a lot more for us to do. I'd just wish everyone would keep an open mind.

89Hen
September 29th, 2005, 02:30 PM
The next week Colgate bounces back and beats UMass, so I don't think we can say Colgate isn't any good. Then, that same UMass team beats URI who handeled CCSU pretty well.
And round and round we go. :p

Bub
September 29th, 2005, 02:35 PM
In the last eight years Drake has played:
UNI
Illinois State
Missouri State
Western Illinois
FAU
Towson
South Florida (in their first year)

Dayton got Yale to play them last year coming off a stretch where the Flyers only lost 4 games in 3 years. I've NEVER bought into the "they're scared" theory.

I'm not trying to use the "they're scared" theory. I'm just pointing out the reality of Drake's scheduling issues, I don't know the reasons why. The Ivy's fly right over us on their way to San Diego, or they stop in Dayton. The Ivy's don't recruit heavy here so maybe playing Drake isn't worth their time. I can't understand why they'd rather go to San Diego than Des Moines. :p

Maybe it's a cost issue with the Patriot, I don't know. We're certainly willing to travel, N. Carolina this week and San Diego in three weeks.

In our more immediate area, WIU played an NAIA last week and we all know about Ind St and St Francis(NAIA). This is my understanding of our scheduling.

GannonFan
September 29th, 2005, 02:44 PM

I did say that last year, even before the season started - Miss St was bad, especially early in the year, and Maine's poor performance in the A10 last year, after beating Miss St, even led more credence to that.

Lehigh crushed Monmouth, and yet you still think they would do well in the playoffs??? Come on, Lehigh's never been a huge success in the playoffs (good, but still only a handful of wins) yet the team they destroyed earlier this year would do well in the playoffs? Didn't Monmouth have to come back, at home, against an average DII Cal (PA) team to win by one? Methinks you've had one too many - Monmouth would get destroyed in the playoffs, just as they were in the regular season, against playoff worthy competition.

DetroitFlyer
September 30th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Once again, it is not about how well a team, any team, Mid-Major or 1-AA full scholarship will do in the playoffs. Every year in the current system there is a blowout or two in the first round. Same as in Division III, NAIA or even 1A bowl games. The only fact that comes into play is that the PFL, MAAC and NEC are 1-AA football conferences as defined by the NCAA. The PFL and NEC currently meet the minimum requirements for their champion to have an automatic bid. This is not complicated. If the PFL and NEC request an automatic bid, they should get one! If the NCAA does not want these conferences in the playoffs, than change the rules. Mark my words, the NCAA will never approve, let alone pay for any type of 1-AA Mid-Major playoff. The only solution that makes sense is to expand the playoffs and provide automatic bids for any 1-AA conference that meets the minimum requirements and requests a bid. Simple!

GannonFan
September 30th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Once again, it is not about how well a team, any team, Mid-Major or 1-AA full scholarship will do in the playoffs. Every year in the current system there is a blowout or two in the first round. Same as in Division III, NAIA or even 1A bowl games. The only fact that comes into play is that the PFL, MAAC and NEC are 1-AA football conferences as defined by the NCAA. The PFL and NEC currently meet the minimum requirements for their champion to have an automatic bid. This is not complicated. If the PFL and NEC request an automatic bid, they should get one! If the NCAA does not want these conferences in the playoffs, than change the rules. Mark my words, the NCAA will never approve, let alone pay for any type of 1-AA Mid-Major playoff. The only solution that makes sense is to expand the playoffs and provide automatic bids for any 1-AA conference that meets the minimum requirements and requests a bid. Simple!

The NCAA appears to be perfectly happy to force these schools to define themselves as IAA (for the purposes of maintaing DI basketball status) and also to keep them from having an auto-bid. This would tell me that they, the NCAA, are fully aware that they have made schools that were typically DIII (I know there were some DII's as well) play in a division that isn't suited for them because of some silly NCAA mandate that forced them to do so. Your gripe should be with the NCAA that won't let these schools play where they (for the vast majority) belong, and that is DIII. Letting DIII teams that call themselves IAA into the IAA playoffs doesn't help them (I'm pretty sure they'd be on the road in the first round and having to pay some bills to do so) and it just dilutes the IAA playoffs, or, at worst, denies a more deserving, true IAA team (one that spends the money to be a true IAA team), a spot in the field. I think the NCAA has done the right thing after initially making the mistake of forcing the non-schollies to classify themselves well above where they actually are.

89Hen
September 30th, 2005, 08:49 AM
The following people are on the I-AA Committee:

David Blank, Drake University
Mark Labarbera, Valparaiso University
Don Cook, Sacred Heart University
Joe DelBalso, Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
Tim Murray, Marist College
Ron Ratner, Northeast Conference

There are more representatives from Mid-major conferences than either the A10, SoCon, Southland, Big Sky, Gateway, OVC.....

Here is the rule regarding the playoff field size (my emphasis)...

The size of all NCAA championships fields shall be established by the Management Council to provide for efficient management of the events, adequate NCAA championship opportunities relative to the nationwide quality of competition and sound economic administration of the financial resources of the Association and its championships.

IMO, how can you expand the playoffs to include teams that take away from the quality of competition?

aceinthehole
September 30th, 2005, 09:16 AM
The following people are on the I-AA Committee:

David Blank, Drake University
Mark Labarbera, Valparaiso University
Don Cook, Sacred Heart University
Joe DelBalso, Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
Tim Murray, Marist College
Ron Ratner, Northeast Conference

There are more representatives from Mid-major conferences than either the A10, SoCon, Southland, Big Sky, Gateway, OVC.....

Here is the rule regarding the playoff field size (my emphasis)...

The size of all NCAA championships fields shall be established by the Management Council to provide for efficient management of the events, adequate NCAA championship opportunities relative to the nationwide quality of competition and sound economic administration of the financial resources of the Association and its championships.

IMO, how can you expand the playoffs to include teams that take away from the quality of competition?

I don't want to belabor this point, but what is the difference between a PIG for the 16 seed in March Madness, and a mid-major with the 24 or 28 seed in an EXPANDED football playoff structure.

The current system is is UNFAIR and their is no comparision in any other NCAA sport.

What would happen if the IVY or SWAC wanted and asked for an auto bid their for IAA football ?

89Hen
September 30th, 2005, 09:23 AM
what is the difference between a PIG for the 16 seed in March Madness, and a mid-major with the 24 or 28 seed in an EXPANDED football playoff structure.

The current system is is UNFAIR and their is no comparision in any other NCAA sport.

What would happen if the IVY or SWAC wanted and asked for an auto bid their for IAA football ?
The difference is that March Madness already does not have quality play in the first round. :p Seriously though, I really don't care what bball does, the I-AA playoffs should be 16 teams. The current system is unfair in that the Mid-majors shouldn't be in I-AA, not that they are not included in the playoffs. Two wrongs not making a right here.

As for the Ivy or SWAC, its definitely a moot point on the SWAC, they will never want to participate. If the Ivy asked for an auto bid, there would have to be some real debate on who gets the eighth auto bid.

Keydet90
September 30th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Why don't those PFL, NEC and MAAC schools either pony up for football scholarships or go to D-II? I agree, if you are D-I in one sport you have to be D-I in all sports. I am very jealous of this because I see my school, which has 1400 cadets and a grand total of 12,000 living alumni manages to field teams in 16 D-I sports (albeit we're in no danger of making either the I-AA playoffs or march madness but our track, wrestling, baseball programs are solid and we've had some success in soccer, lax and swimming in recent years). A better example may be Wofford with 1200 students. If those non-scholly schools don't have the resources to be D-I in all sports they should go D-II. There is nothing wrong with D-II, I watch D-II games on the tube from time to time (hoops and football) and they play quality, entertaining ball. Did anyone check out Cent Arkansas vs North 'Bama last night? Great game and nice crowd, bands etc.

Also, why is it that Old Dominion, VCU, George Mason, Radford, Campbell, Marquette, DePaul, St Louis etc, etc etc have no football but have D-I hoops? That is unfair, unconscionable and is in violation of the Constitution, the Mangna Carta and probably the Emancipation Proclamation as well! All should either step up in all sports and foot the bill or move to a level that your finances, fan base, facilities and resources can support. Or don't complain about not getting an auto-bid.

Just my unsolicited opinions!

DP '90

henfan
September 30th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Also, why is it that Old Dominion, VCU, George Mason, Radford, Campbell, Marquette, DePaul, St Louis etc, etc etc have no football but have D-I hoops? That is unfair, unconscionable and is in violation of the Constitution, the Mangna Carta and probably the Emancipation Proclamation as well!

Well, it's certainly not fair but, then again, I suppose you could argue that the whole sub-division system in Division I really isn't set up in a fair way. Did you ever wonder they there aren't sub-divisions in D-II or D-III. With the way D-II schools choose to emphasize football (or not), there certainly is room for at least one sub-division there already.

UAalum72
September 30th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Well, it's certainly not fair but, then again, I suppose you could argue that the whole sub-division system in Division I really isn't set up in a fair way. Did you ever wonder they there aren't sub-divisions in D-II or D-III. With the way D-II schools choose to emphasize football (or not), there certainly is room for at least one sub-division there already.
Subdivisions are no longer necessary in D-II; Don Hansen used to recognize mid-major Division II, but now D-II has a mechanism to get them in the playoffs:

31.3.4.6 Earned Access—Football. The Division II Football Committee shall award earned access to the NCAA Division II Football Championship to Division II football playing conferences for which at least one member institution finishes in the top 10 of the final NCAA Division II football regional ranking. The earned access shall go to the conference’s highest ranked team in the final regional Top 10 poll. (Adopted: 1/12/04)

I'm not sure which region you'd put the PFL in (teams from Jacksonville FL to San Diego), and D-II has more playoff spots, and regionalization might threaten the power conferences' precious monopoly of the playoff bids, but it's a process.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2005, 04:52 PM
As for the Ivy or SWAC, its definitely a moot point on the SWAC, they will never want to participate. If the Ivy asked for an auto bid, there would have to be some real debate on who gets the eighth auto bid.

Autobids cannot and should not be revoked. A 20 or 24-team playoff has to be the answer. I also don't think anyone if interested in revoking any of the existing autobids as well.

If the Ivies want to get in on the playoffs, they'll have to expand. If the Great West gets enough teams to qualify, I feel they'll expand it as well to accomodate their autobid. If an AE or new Yankee conference splits off from the CAA, they will have to accomodate an autobid. There's a lot of possible ways out there for the playoffs to expand, and they won't go beyond the 50% rule for at-large teams.

89Hen
October 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM
If the Great West gets enough teams to qualify, I feel they'll expand it as well to accomodate their autobid. If an AE or new Yankee conference splits off from the CAA, they will have to accomodate an autobid. There's a lot of possible ways out there for the playoffs to expand, and they won't go beyond the 50% rule for at-large teams.
There are a lot of possiblities out there. I would still love to see the Dakotas schools move to the Gateway and the Big Sky take the rest of the GWFC. The GW is a very solid conference, but is too small and the prospects for new teams just doesn't seem like a viable solution. Most of the upcoming expected expansion is in southeast US... UCA, NC Central, Winston-Salem, ODU...