PDA

View Full Version : Author of Ivy League Recruiting Book Q&A

Cooper
March 11th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Chris Lincoln, who wrote the 2004 book [I]Playing the Game; Inside Athletic Recruiting in the Ivy League, has a lengthy and provocative Q&A where he discusses, among other things, the Ivy League's move to make their schools free for students from low-income families, and affordable for the middle class. He offers opinions on how that might impact recruiting against scholarship schools in football as well as basketball and other sports. Dartmouth Green Alert Blog (http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/playing-game-sequel.html)

Ivytalk
March 11th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Interesting read, but I'm not sure there's anything new here. A lot of it seems to be a rehash of what's been said about Ivy athletics since Harvard and Yale announced their recent financial aid reforms.

DFW HOYA
March 11th, 2008, 09:40 AM
This is the kind of article that gives ammunition to the Patriot scholarship argument.

Tribe4SF
March 11th, 2008, 09:53 AM
W&M is moving in a similar direction with its Gateway program. Since we are a scholarship athletic program, it's unclear how this may impact us. I would guess it may attract additional walk-on candidates, if nothing else.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 11th, 2008, 10:27 AM
This is the kind of article that gives ammunition to the Patriot scholarship argument.

It does - sort of. Mr. Lincoln did point out that schollies for PL schools would be expensive, that it would solely be for athletic competitiveness and not for the same (somewhat) high-minded reasons the Ivy League is doing it for all students. But I agree that it is very striking that the answer to the question wasn't one of philosophy but one of finances.

I'm definitely going to be weighing in on all of this stuff.