PDA

View Full Version : Gardner-Webb's Brian Johnston Impressing Scouts

justsaying
March 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM
http://www.gwusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1409489&DB_OEM_ID=10300

Measuring in at 6-foot-5, 274 pounds, Johnston ran his first 40-yard dash in an eye-popping 4.66 seconds. His slowest time of the day was a very strong 4.70, which is still faster than Johnston’s best time a year ago. Johnston’s 40-yard dash time Saturday would have been the fourth best at the recent NFL Scouting Combine for defensive ends, and the best for any lineman weighing more than 260 pounds.

Johnston’s most impressive stat from the 40-yard dash came with a very strong 1.51-second time through the first 10 yards, an important time with regards to a players quickness. By comparison, Johnston's 10-yard split was the same as Arkansas running back Darren McFadden turned in at the Combine earlier this year.

Johnston pulled off an impressive 35-inch vertical leap as well on Saturday, which would have ranked second among defensive linemen at the NFL Scouting Combine – and best for a player of his size.

The most impressive result overall, however, may have been Johnston’s time in the 20-yard shuttle. He turned in a 4.18-second time, which is better than any lineman at the NFL’s Scouting Combine. In fact, the 4.18-second time was faster than any running back at the event – with Illinois’ Rashard Mendenhall the only back to match that time.

A 6.96-second time in the 3-cone, or “L” drill was also impressive, and would rank third compared to times recorded by lineman at the Combine.

“I felt really good after the workout,” Johnston said. “The few scouts who stayed behind [after San Diego State’s players finished] said that it was the best workout of the day, by far, and they were impressed. My agent [Baltimore-based Tony Agnone] told me Sunday that nearly every team in the NFL had called him after getting those results. That’s encouraging for me.”

Johnston has been working hard with California-based trainer Todd Durkin, one of the most renowned speed and strength experts in the nation - and a man who has a client list that includes LaDanian Tomlinson, Reggie Bush, Carson Palmer and several other notable NFL and Major League Baseball stars.

Look for his stock to dramatically rise!!

ebirToG
March 13th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Another FCS connection here...
Todd Durkin "one of the most renowned speed and strength experts in the nation..." also a former William and Mary QB

Black Saturday
March 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM
http://www.gwusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1409489&DB_OEM_ID=10300

Look for his stock to dramatically rise!!

I was impressed with his speed and mobility when he played APP, he just didn't have any help on his side of the ball.