PDA

View Full Version : NDSU to play Wyoming

FargoBison
March 10th, 2008, 06:02 PM
North Dakota State and football coach Joe Glenn will see each other once again. The Bison will play at the University of Wyoming next fall.

The Cowboys, coached by the former Northern Colorado head coach, are members of the Mountain West Conference. It will be NDSU’s fourth Football Bowl Subdivision opponent in three years.

Although he wouldn’t go into any details, Bison athletic director Gene Taylor said “I’m not going to deny it,” when asked about playing the Cowboys.

The game is expected to be played Sept. 13 in Laramie.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=194470

FargoBison
March 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM
This completes NDSU's 2008 schedule..

Thu, Aug 28 Austin Peay
Sat, Sep 06 Central Connecticut State
Sat, Sep 13 @Wyoming
Sat, Sep 20 @Youngstown State
Sat, Oct 04 Southern Illinois
Sat, Oct 11 Western Illinois
Sat, Oct 18 @Northern Iowa
Sat, Oct 25 @Illinois State
Sat, Nov 01 Indiana State
Sat, Nov 15 @Missouri State
Sat, Nov 22 South Dakota State

Peems
March 10th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Bison definitely have a great shot at this one. The Cowboys have been struggling in the last few years, and Coach Glenn has had to let some of his assistants go just to keep his own head above water.

FargoBison
March 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
NDSU will get $275k for the game.

Peems
March 10th, 2008, 06:29 PM
NDSU will get $275k for the game.

Good pay and short trip plus possible win=great job by Bison AD!

Ivytalk
March 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I'm tempted to put one in the book for FCS right now!xcoolx

DuckDuckGriz
March 10th, 2008, 06:38 PM
There is going to be alot of green and gold. My kind of game.

Just take it easy on Cowboy Joe.

JohnStOnge
March 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Now THAT'S an interesting matchup. I have to give credit to wyoming for being willing to schedule that game.

FargoBison
March 10th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Good pay and short trip plus possible win=great job by Bison AD!

He definitely did a great job, some doubted him on our board but he came through again. I don't know a lot about the Cowboys but it seems like a winnable game and a fun road trip.

Jerbearasu
March 10th, 2008, 07:04 PM
This is a great job by your AD. I think it is fair to say you have a really good chance to be 3-0 against FBS competition in the last 2 years come mid-Sep...

This is a quality schedule you guys have put together for your 1st year in the Gateway. Are you gonna add a 12th game for the Sep 27th game?

slostang
March 10th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Looks like I called this one. Good game. Go Bison.

ericsaid
March 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM

Thu, Aug 28 Austin Peay
Sat, Sep 13 @Wyoming
Sat, Oct 04 Southern Illinois
Sat, Oct 11 Western Illinois
Sat, Oct 18 @Northern Iowa
Sat, Oct 25 @Illinois State
Sat, Nov 01 Indiana State
Sat, Nov 15 @Missouri State
Sat, Nov 22 South Dakota State

Why not schedule a more difficult FBS team. Sure they are FBS but come on, Wyoming. Two years of weak FBS teams that could be beaten by almsot any team in the top 15 of the FCS. xnonono2x

Everyones expecting a lot from NDSU so if they don't produce I believe that would be the shocker of this season.

FargoBison
March 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
This is a great job by your AD. I think it is fair to say you have a really good chance to be 3-0 against FBS competition in the last 2 years come mid-Sep...

This is a quality schedule you guys have put together for your 1st year in the Gateway. Are you gonna add a 12th game for the Sep 27th game?

Unless something amazing comes up it sounds like our schedule is set. Our AD has said a few times that he doesn't want to add a 12th game because of the grind the Gateway conference is going to be.

KAUMASS
March 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM
UMinn get tired and drop thier toughest OOC opponent? Good luck against Wyoming. If you have a team like last year, Wyoming is in for a difficult game and I would have to favor NDSU.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Why not schedule a more difficult FBS team. Sure they are FBS but come on, Wyoming. Two years of weak FBS teams that could be beaten by almsot any team in the top 15 of the FCS. xnonono2x

Everyones expecting a lot from NDSU so if they don't produce I believe that would be the shocker of this season.

Does your ignorance know no bounds? You are truly a dip*****.

ericsaid
March 10th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Honestly, that was saying they will probably beat Wyoming hands down. Playing Minnisota wasn't much of an opponent either.

And the latter half of what I said also happened to be a compliment to the program.

neersnbeers
March 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Great get! Sounds like Wyoming didn't like the idea that much.

DuckDuckGriz
March 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Are you serious? Keep in mind NDSU is still in somewhat of a transition mode and Wyoming has more scholarships, so its stiff competition no matter what.

And - the Cowboys are certainly not the bottom-feeders they used to be. Keep in mind they beat UCLA in the Vegas Bowl only two seasons ago. They have started to contend for the MWC. I also believe App State did not fair so well against them.

JBB
March 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM
The Cowboys were 5-7 last season. Its a good game for NDSU. Definitely The Herd are underdogs. If somebody wants to go off the handle and say the BISON are huge favorites let me see whos giving the Cowboys all the points?

Great Job by Dr. Gene Taylor! Lots of BISON fans will move the lodges that weekend to Laramie and Jonah Field at War Memorial Stadium (http://wyomingathletics.cstv.com/facilities/warmemorial.html) Capacity 32,500.

McNeese75
March 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Does your ignorance know no bounds? You are truly a dip*****.

xlolx

Go Bison
March 10th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Looks like I called this one. Good game. Go Bison.

You did call it! Props to you xbowx I was still hoping for a Cal Poly game but hopefully either in the playoffs or in future years.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 10th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Are you serious? Keep in mind NDSU is still in somewhat of a transition mode and Wyoming has more scholarships, so its stiff competition no matter what.

And - the Cowboys are certainly not the bottom-feeders they used to be. Keep in mind they beat UCLA in the Vegas Bowl only two seasons ago. They have started to contend for the MWC. I also believe App State did not fair so well against them.

Why even try to give him a history lesson even if it's a recent history lesson. This team that is so inferior in the FBS laid a beat down on App just 4 short seasons ago but he only knows about all things App after the 2005 season ended so he is very qualified with his opinions.

OB55
March 10th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Much tougher than you think fellers, same coaching staff as in the Montana days for the most part, only 93 scholarships. Hostile environment, 7,200 feet in elevation, and they would have also beaten Minnesota last year, only worse.

Don't put that one in the W column yet, it will have to be earned.

BTW, it ain't Wyoming kids on that squad, Colorado, Texas, and beyond.

appsfan
March 10th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Sounds like a good game. Kudos for getting it on your schedule.

Mountain Panther
March 10th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Sweet...Laramie is a short drive from Denver. If I show up in UNI gear with you NDSU fans let me hang at your tailgate?

If you do go, make sure you walk to the top row of the stadium...that way you can brag about how you at the highest point possible in the US to watch a college football game.

GOKATS
March 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Good OOC game for NDSU- could go either way. A nice plus if it's a NDSU win and and it's down to FCS playoff decisions. Opting to play 11 makes it tough in the optional 12 game season- it'll probably take 8 DI wins to get in this year.

OB55
March 10th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Sweet...Laramie is a short drive from Denver. If I show up in UNI gear with you NDSU fans let me hang at your tailgate?

If you do go, make sure you walk to the top row of the stadium...that way you can brag about how you at the highest point possible in the US to watch a college football game.

Not including Western State's Mountaineer Bowl, 7,900 feet on the field. xnodx

SO ILLmatic
March 10th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Unless something amazing comes up it sounds like our schedule is set. Our AD has said a few times that he doesn't want to add a 12th game because of the grind the Gateway conference is going to be.

Most Gateway teams are only playing 11. I would expect this to be the Bisons' set schedule for 08

NorCalJack
March 10th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Nice game to add this late in the scheduling process. It should also draw quite a few NDSU fans also. It is always good to play BCS schools from bordering states.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Thundar
March 10th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Most Gateway teams are only playing 11. I would expect this to be the Bisons' set schedule for 08

Its done, the FBS game is the last, unless someone comes to the FFD for freexthumbsupx

Jerbearasu
March 10th, 2008, 09:31 PM

I remember that 2004 game distinctly. We were truly embarassed in that game and I have heard comments from the coaching staff that we had the least amount of effort that they had ever seen from any of our teams. It was definitely a tough one to listen to.

ericsaid
March 10th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Why even try to give him a history lesson even if it's a recent history lesson. This team that is so inferior in the FBS laid a beat down on App just 4 short seasons ago but he only knows about all things App after the 2005 season ended so he is very qualified with his opinions.

The funny thing is, is I do know about that game. I also know about the games where App beat Wake and almost Auburn and held LSU to 14 points and three complete quarters and beat UM.

I was only hoping NDSU would pick up a powerhouse or something. Always exciting to see powerhouse FCS teams go up against powerhouse FBS squads.

JBB
March 10th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Its not like you schedule anybody you want and no sense in going in over our head - $275K aint bad either.

NDSU will have a lot of young players. If this was last years team I would even agree that NDSU is a favorite, but for this years team the Cowboys are a great matchup. Its a good game for The BISON to get.

Mountain Panther
March 10th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Not including Western State's Mountaineer Bowl, 7,900 feet on the field. xnodx

I shoulda said "highest DI venue."

Go Bison
March 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM

You are more than welcome! It will be great to meet you. As the game gets closer we'll have to touch base and make plans.

On a side note, do you know when can we get tickets to the UNI/NDSU game? I live in the Twin Cities and am really looking forward to that game. That is going to be quite a game as well.

Jerbearasu
March 10th, 2008, 11:07 PM
NDSU will have a lot of young players. If this was last years team I would even agree that NDSU is a favorite, but for this years team the Cowboys are a great matchup. Its a good game for The BISON to get.

Speaking of... Besides your QB who else did you lose? 2 deep if you know... I've actually never been able to see any of your games but have followed you closely since the beginning of your transition to FCS...

X-Factor
March 11th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Speaking of... Besides your QB who else did you lose? 2 deep if you know... I've actually never been able to see any of your games but have followed you closely since the beginning of your transition to FCS...

our graduating class was 11.

7 full time starters, 2 PT's and 2 backup.

The 7 starters lost were 3 OL, 1QB, 1 LB, 1 CB, 1 Punter

I would say our biggest loss besides Steve Walker was OT Nate Safe (all american). He was a great guy on and off the field. Fortunately we do have a deep OL and a couple of easier home games to break the new guys in before the real meat of the schedule opens up.

OhioHen
March 11th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Thu, Aug 28 Austin Peay
Sat, Sep 13 @Wyoming

So the Bison enter Gateway play at 3-0. xbowx

Thunderstruck84
March 11th, 2008, 08:55 AM

You are more than welcome! It will be great to meet you. As the game gets closer we'll have to touch base and make plans.

On a side note, do you know when can we get tickets to the UNI/NDSU game? I live in the Twin Cities and am really looking forward to that game. That is going to be quite a game as well.
I concur. I'll hopefully be going to Cedar Falls for that game. I think it'll be interesting to see how the UNI-Dome stacks up against the Fargodome in terms of atmosphere. Personally, I'm more excited about going there than to Laramie.

AshevilleApp2
March 11th, 2008, 09:03 AM

I seem to recall Wyoming putting a good a#@ whipping on APP a few years back.

AshevilleApp2
March 11th, 2008, 09:05 AM
The funny thing is, is I do know about that game. I also know about the games where App beat Wake and almost Auburn and held LSU to 14 points and three complete quarters and beat UM.

I was only hoping NDSU would pick up a powerhouse or something. Always exciting to see powerhouse FCS teams go up against powerhouse FBS squads.

We tend to remember that which we choose to remember. xnodx

ericsaid
March 11th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Well I also remember the Kansas game inwhich ASU lost 36-8. And the Hawai'i game where App lost 50 something to 14.

I was just throwing some out there. I also remember the UNI, Umass, and UD game.xsmiley_wix

Will be interesting to see how NDSU's football program progresses though.

Are there any FBS schools in the Dakotas?

Go Bison
March 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Well I also remember the Kansas game inwhich ASU lost 36-8. And the Hawai'i game where App lost 50 something to 14.

I was just throwing some out there. I also remember the UNI, Umass, and UD game.xsmiley_wix

Will be interesting to see how NDSU's football program progresses though.

Are there any FBS schools in the Dakotas?

No FBS schools in the Dakotas. NDSU was trying to schedule Wisconsin but the dates didn't line up. In 2009 NDSU is scheduled to play Iowa State.

ericsaid
March 11th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I wish they would have scheduled a Big Ten school because I have the luxery of having the no name big ten network. I am going to watch the YSU-OSU game this year.

Would have been nice to actually watch NDSU play. Maybe get a perspective on how another team that may be invited to the Appalachian Invitational a.k.a the national championship.xpeacex xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
March 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Great game, NDSU. It's winnable, it's close, and it's money in the bank. xthumbsupx

Benne
March 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Joe Glenn is begging to get fired with this game.

JBB
March 11th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Maybe so, but if you simply want to see a good football game this one has all the makings. Heres how it looks to me:

Last season The Cowboys averaged about 22,000/game at “The War”. Their smallest crowd was just under 17,000 and they came close to filling all 32,500 seats a couple times.

Last year OOC they beat Virginia, Utah State, the Ohio Bobcats and lost to Boise State.

Looking quickly down the stats I see a team that is well balanced between pass and run, but not particularly great at either one.

Defensively they allow their opponents some success. They only averaged 19 pts/game and were shut out by the Utah Utes 50-0.

If we still had Walker the game could turn out to be a passing contest with both teams equally matched with respectable passing statistics. This game will be a great test for Mertens.

Based on last years statistics only, I would have to give NDSU a slight edge.

The huge intangibles of course are the extra scholarships and the level of competition the Cowboys have been facing. Certainly they bring the contest even and I believe make the Cowboys a slight favorite.

Karstin Sween is their QB. He will be a Jr. next season. He was 215-359-17 and 12 TDs. He threw the ball 100 more times than Walker did last season, had 60 more completions, 7 more INTs and 8 fewer TDS. Thing is he was only a Soph so expect improvement.

Their top two running backs Devin Moore and Wayne Seldon will be Seniors. Moore was a 1,000 yd back last season. Seldon was just under 600 yds. Reminds me of the old Gordon/Perkins backfield.

They lost two of their top 3 receivers to graduation and will return Jr. Greg Bolling. Problem is both running backs Moore and Seldon are among their top receivers too, so we have our hands full with a very versatile offense.

Just for comparison sakes, statistically their receivers look more like Jangula or Belquist. They dont have the big receiver like Heckendorf. They do spread it around more though.

It looks to me that they lost 12 seniors, most off the defense. Most of them were Linebackers and defensive backfield. They lost their punter too. Their offense will be experienced and so will their defensive line. Overall their team will be experienced and mature.

It will be a real challenge for the BISON. Im glad we have 2 warm up games with challenging opponents. Its going to make those games a whole lot more interesting. We will be watching the BISON prepare for the Cowboys.

spelunker64
March 11th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Just came across this on Bisonville. Great addition to an already good schedule.

Are you going OB55???

OB55
March 11th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Just came across this on Bisonville. Great addition to an already good schedule.

Are you going OB55???

Haven't thought of that, are you going to be there?

dakotadan
March 11th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I bet wyobison was happy to hear about this game! xlolx

Nice pick-up for the Bison. Definately a trip I would like to see the Sioux make sometime.

PantherRob82
March 11th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Great game to schedule. Go Bison!

BisBison
March 11th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I bet wyobison was happy to hear about this game! xlolx

Nice pick-up for the Bison. Definately a trip I would like to see the Sioux make sometime.

I would think wyobisonman would be happy, but he hasn't posted here or on Bisonville since 3/5. Go figure, must have gone on vacation or something.xconfusedx xconfusedx I figured he'd be all over this one.

Keeper
March 11th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Something is wrong here:

Wyoming has not annouced a schedule yet, of course...but

they have 4 OOC games annouced by all 4 opponents.
Aug 30 = Ohio U
Sep 6 = @ New Mexico St
Sep 20 = Bowling Green
Nov 8 = @ Tennessee

Something will have to give here, like a buyout or switch.
One of those will have to get booted to play NDSU.

MaximumBobcat
March 11th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Something is wrong here:

Wyoming has not annouced a schedule yet, of course...but

they have 4 OOC games annouced by all 4 opponents.
Aug 30 = Ohio U
Sep 6 = @ New Mexico St
Sep 20 = Bowling Green
Nov 8 = @ Tennessee

Something will have to give here, like a buyout or switch.
One of those will have to get booted to play NDSU.

here's a post from gowyogo...

Re: Just heard a rumor that we're buying out of our NMSU game next year...

Yes, it is true.

I don't know the exact specifics, but it had to do with a contract with CSTV, possibly the rights to broadcast the game. I don't know for sure. It's my understanding the buyout clause is around $300k.

Apparently, now the 2009 return game is in question as well.

NMSU had to scramble to find a replacement for the Wyoming game and will now play D-Iaa Nichols State and pay them to come play at NMSU.

Let's hope the lawyers and A.D.'s can hammer this thing out and get the whole thing re-scheduled.

CI

GreatAppSt
March 12th, 2008, 02:08 AM
And the Hawai'i game where App lost 50 something to 14.

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xnonono2x 50 something to 14? It was 17-40. Get yer facts straight kid.xeyebrowx

spelunker64
March 12th, 2008, 11:10 AM
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xnonono2x 50 something to 14? It was 17-40. Get yer facts straight kid.xeyebrowx

40-17 is way better than 50-14...xrolleyesx

:D

GreatAppSt
March 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM
40-17 is way better than 50-14...xrolleyesx

:D Losing by 23 is a whole lot better than 36 and having the half century hung on your D, any day of the week in my book. Saids statement 50 something implied the score was even higher, ie get facts straight.xthumbsupx

BisonBabe
March 12th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Haven't thought of that, are you going to be there?

Hope you make it to the game. Swag and I are planning on driving down with the kids. Long drive but worth it.