PDA

View Full Version : Will JMU Land Ex-Cav?

BDKJMU
March 7th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Will JMU Land Ex-Cav?
Friends Say Fitzgerald Is Considering Joining Dukes

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=15445&CHID=3&sub=

An update on this thread:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36586

Was a freshman All American. If he had stayed at UVA, good chance he would have been pre season All ACC for next season, with a good shot at All American if not next season by his senior year. Certainly would be pre season All CAA and likely pre season All American. Would be one of the top if not the top de end in I-AA as a junior. I think he would be the biggest impact I-A to I-AA tranfer so far for 08'.

http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88799&SPID=10606&DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=1133444&Q_SEASON=2007

JMU already likely has 3 returning starting defensive linemen, pending on the eligibility of 2nd team All CAA defensive end Hassan Abdul-Wahid, who was listed as a senior this season, is expected to be granted another year of eligibility by the NCAA. Abdul-Wahid transferred to JMU from Virginia Commonwealth, which doesn’t field a football team, and played three seasons for the Dukes. Under NCAA rules, if he completes his degree requirements by the end of this year, he is eligible to play his fourth season.

I'd say its a 1 in 3 chance JMU gets Fitzgerald. If they do, JMU's de line would be sick. Would probably be the top de end tandem in I-AA, better than UD's or ASU's.

If JMU, or UR, also mentioned as a possibility to land Fitzgerald due to UVA's de coordinator Mike London recently being named new UR head coach, who both are slated to have 17 starters back and overwhelming majority of 2 deep got this guy, wow.

dukesfan74
March 7th, 2008, 10:35 AM
If one of his concerns is exposure vs a FBS team, someone should mention the name Charles Haley to this guy. Of course, all this is mute if his grades are an issue

bluehenbillk
March 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Pre-empting my comment with the infamous "If this is true", it wouldn't say much for JMU's admission department.

And to pre-empt the inevitable response, football-wise I'd love to see this kid play for my school, but I know it'll never happen because the admissions office would never clear him.

mcveyrl
March 7th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Pre-empting my comment with the infamous "If this is true", it wouldn't say much for JMU's admission department.

And to pre-empt the inevitable response, football-wise I'd love to see this kid play for my school, but I know it'll never happen because the admissions office would never clear him.

Yea, I hope that JMU takes a real good look at him and knows what they're getting into and the path this might take us...

gotribe
March 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM
"Good academic standing" would mean his grades other than what caused the homor violation (if that's the reason he "left"). Honor violations are not noted in the transcripts. If his tranferable courses and grades pass muster with a school's admissions dept., then the question becomes...Do you give this guy, who's a decent person and great player, a second chance?

ericsaid
March 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Also to say the d-line may be better then Apps or UD's. That's one transfer to apps two transfers. One from LSU who was a blue chip player out of high school who is 6'3 265 and another from Vandy who is 6'4 230.

Can't say much until the season starts, if he ends up transferring. Tim Washington from LSU in my opinion proved himself this year for the Apps.

Also, why would a play who was a freshmen all-american transfer to a 1-aa school?

ericsaid
March 7th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Also the two defensive tackles for Appalachian were on the Sports Network All American list. Gary Tharrington was listed as a DE on that even though he played some DT.

If Tim Washington(LSU) and Quavian Lewis(Vandy) are both going to be a DE then App may have one of the best front seven.

The best in he socon atleast. Will have to wait till September 20th to really know.

Mouse
March 7th, 2008, 04:34 PM
i never got the exposure argument, maybe it's just me

if his goal is NFL, they will find you if your good enough regardless of what school

ericsaid
March 7th, 2008, 05:14 PM
If he wants exposure, he'll get it at virginia since he was on the freshmen all-american team.

Umass74
March 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM
The Virginia Coach went out of his way not to slam Fitzgerald in this article (http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-02-26-0169.html).

Quote: Cavaliers coach Al Groh told The Times-Dispatch last night that "Jeffrey has been a wonderful player for us and a great teammate. He's a high-character person, and we recognize at this point in his life his desire to move on to something else. We're supportive of that, and we're involved with helping him in that respect."

BDKJMU
March 8th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Also to say the d-line may be better then Apps or UD's. That's one transfer to apps two transfers. One from LSU who was a blue chip player out of high school who is 6'3 265 and another from Vandy who is 6'4 230.

Can't say much until the season starts, if he ends up transferring. Tim Washington from LSU in my opinion proved himself this year for the Apps.

Also, why would a play who was a freshmen all-american transfer to a 1-aa school?

And neither one of those ASU transfers were 2 yr starters for a BCS or even started. They didn't prove themselves on the field at the I-A level. Fitzgerald started for 2 years and showed All ACC and All American potential. He's maybe transfering to a I-AA because he HAD to leave UVA. Its transfer to a I-AA and play for 2 years (if he's academically eligible), or transfer to a I-A and have to sit out a yr, then only have 1 yr left. sit out a year.

SuperJon
March 8th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Had Fitz been at most other I-A schools, he'd still be playing. He's just not eligible from UVA standards, not NCAA.

SkinsWizDukes
March 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Had Fitz been at most other I-A schools, he'd still be playing. He's just not eligible from UVA standards, not NCAA.

It's nothing about grades and academic standing. He was kicked out of UVa for an honor code violation. His academic standing is fine and will be eligible to play wherever he chooses.

SuperJon
March 8th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I thought that was still just a "rumor." Has it been confirmed anywhere? I haven't kept up with this as close as others.

DTSpider
March 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I understand his academic standing is still up in the air.

SkinsWizDukes
March 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I understand his academic standing is still up in the air.

He was kicked out of UVa for an honor code violation. While the violation isn't public knowledge the word is that it was some sort of plagarism, though it wasn't as bad as it sounds. His family was very upset with this and there was a strong attempt at an appeal but it was not granted (UVA's honor system is as strict as they come). If all that is true or not, I am not certain. Just what I've heard so far.

To my knowledge, and I feel I have a pretty good grasp on the situation, his academic standing is fine and will be able to play wherever he transfers to. An honor code violation does not show up on a transcript and it only affects him at UVa.

If he chooses to sit out a year then K-State has been mentioned. If he goes FCS, then it looks to be a battle between UR and JMU. Trying to be as non-biased as possible, I still give the edge to JMU if it comes down to an FCS school. It's been reported that he's worried about exposure to NFL scouts, so we'll see in the coming weeks (months) what decision he comes to.

That pretty much sums up what I know and it'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

DTSpider
March 8th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I've heard the same things. However, I do know that UVA can be very particular when it comes to releasing students that have had honor code violations.

There has been at least one athlete in a very similar situation in which UVA refused to release the player's transcript until the start of the following fall semester resulting in the player not being eligible for the following season.

We'll see. From everything I've heard, I hope that Fitagerald becomes eligible. Whether that be at UR, JMU or K-State, I hope that he can pull his life back together.

SkinsWizDukes
March 8th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I've heard the same things. However, I do know that UVA can be very particular when it comes to releasing students that have had honor code violations.

There has been at least one athlete in a very similar situation in which UVA refused to release the player's transcript until the start of the following fall semester resulting in the player not being eligible for the following season.

We'll see. From everything I've heard, I hope that Fitagerald becomes eligible. Whether that be at UR, JMU or K-State, I hope that he can pull his life back together.

When it comes down to it, that is what really matters.

I hadn't heard about UVa not releasing transcripts when it comes to honor violations. Hopefully they'll be able to work all this out and he can get on the field in the fall if he chooses to.

SoCon48
March 9th, 2008, 06:37 PM
He was kicked out of UVa for an honor code violation. While the violation isn't public knowledge the word is that it was some sort of plagarism, though it wasn't as bad as it sounds. His family was very upset with this and there was a strong attempt at an appeal but it was not granted (UVA's honor system is as strict as they come). If all that is true or not, I am not certain. Just what I've heard so far.

To my knowledge, and I feel I have a pretty good grasp on the situation, his academic standing is fine and will be able to play wherever he transfers to. An honor code violation does not show up on a transcript and it only affects him at UVa.

If he chooses to sit out a year then K-State has been mentioned. If he goes FCS, then it looks to be a battle between UR and JMU. Trying to be as non-biased as possible, I still give the edge to JMU if it comes down to an FCS school. It's been reported that he's worried about exposure to NFL scouts, so we'll see in the coming weeks (months) what decision he comes to.

That pretty much sums up what I know and it'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

If it's between Richmond and JMU, I'd bet money JMU gets him because it's doubtful UR will take him knowing the honor code violation even though it may not be on transcripts or other records sent.
When I was an undergrad, plagiarism resulted in an F plus one term's suspension.

spdram
March 9th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Normally in a similar situation I would completly agree the scales are tipped towards JMU, but I understand he and his family are well known within the University of Richmond community and Mike London certainly knows him well.

Monarch History
March 10th, 2008, 02:02 PM
It amazes me when fans on boards respond like they know exactly what happened in certain cases. Granted they may be right but in many cases are wrong.xrolleyesx

There are federal laws (FERPA) that dictate student transcripts and how long a school has before they must release them to another institution. I also agree that if he qualifies, Richmond with new coach Mike London, is probably the front runner.

It's probably going to be until the semester is over until we hear where he is going.

bluehenbillk
March 10th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I'm not in that business but doesn't it seem odd to other people that a prospective school wouldn't get info on an expulsion from another school for a reason like a honor code violation. What if a student is expelled for committing a felony? Does that go in. I can just see that headline on front pages around the world if that info wasn't contained & something happened at a new campus.

I just question if the info furnished by previous posters is accurate.

Monarch History
March 10th, 2008, 03:44 PM
What if a student is expelled for committing a felony? Does that go in. I can just see that headline on front pages around the world if that info wasn't contained & something happened at a new campus.

Good point bluehenbill.

bostonspider
March 10th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I'm not in that business but doesn't it seem odd to other people that a prospective school wouldn't get info on an expulsion from another school for a reason like a honor code violation. What if a student is expelled for committing a felony? Does that go in. I can just see that headline on front pages around the world if that info wasn't contained & something happened at a new campus.

Well as far as I know the Honor Code at UVA is only for academic issues. If the student is expelled for something else (felony) it is a completely different matter, and likely would have gone before the Student Judicial Council. I know that is how it worked at Richmond. Also I think UVA allows a student to withdraw before expulsion for Honor Code violations, which therefore do not show up on the official transcript. But I have no knowledge at all of this particular case.

SkinsWizDukes
March 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM
An honor code violation will not appear on Fitzgerald's transcript, but it's not like the school that he transfers to will not know about the situation.

I could care less whether you guys believe what I've said or not. I've been following this situation very closely the past 3 months, and I feel pretty confident in the information I have.

SuperJon
March 10th, 2008, 08:35 PM

A felony is public record. A student's academic transcript is private and can only be sent out with permission from the student.

potus#4
March 11th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Well as far as I know the Honor Code at UVA is only for academic issues. If the student is expelled for something else (felony) it is a completely different matter, and likely would have gone before the Student Judicial Council. I know that is how it worked at Richmond. Also I think UVA allows a student to withdraw before expulsion for Honor Code violations, which therefore do not show up on the official transcript. But I have no knowledge at all of this particular case.

UVa's honor code covers lying, cheating or stealing. If guilty, you're gone. At times, the penalty is way out of proportion to the "crime." I want JMU to have high standards, but if the rumors are true, I have no problem with a guy like this getting a second chance somewhere.