PDA

View Full Version : UMass history 1981

Umass74
March 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I've got ten scans from various UMass game programs from 1981 in a Picassa Web album. Link and some background info on my UMass Football Blog (http://umass74.blogspot.com/) .

Note the 230 pd linemen we were starting that year. It has some black & white images from the Dartmouth and Holy Cross games. Check out a really young Coach Jimmy Reid. :)

Go...gate
March 7th, 2008, 10:50 AM
That stuff is really great! xthumbsupx

Marcus Garvey
March 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I love the "Have a Coke and a smile!" ads as part of the roster listings on the center pages. I think Coke took out an ad in every single college program back in the late 70s/early 80's. When my father was the advance scout for Moravian, he used to bring my brother and I along. He always got a program for the roster, and I swear it was always a Coke ad. I used to think Coke printed the damn things.

Umass74
March 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM
The ads are a hoot. Buy a Chevy II for $3,500.

The UMass programs of that era like to use "cutting edge" graphic design by having tilted photos for stories with multiple images.

It usually drives my scanner software NUTS. If there are six tilted photos on the page, the software will copy one/some/all of the photos and never do the same thing twice. It did do this set of scans without acting up.

I'm sure when I do 1982 it will go berserk. xrotatehx

Brad82
March 7th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Rhody beat UMASS that game and went on to win one of three YC championships in 5 years!!

Umass74
March 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Rhody beat UMASS that game and went on to win one of three YC championships in 5 years!!

Rhody did. I looked some of the Rams player's names in the program. I recognize some Ram players from the Erhardt (sp?) era of the great passing teams, but I was not familiar with any one from that game program.

Anyone we should know about?

Brad82
March 8th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Yes-on defense-Dennis Talbot and Barney Rinaldi were 2X All YC . Tony Deluca was 3X first team All-YC. Cal Whitfield switched to offense and set rushing records. On Offense Tom Mut and Bob Soderlund were two time All-YC selections. Rich Pelzer was 1st team AA and drafted by Eagles. Jon Rodgers set rushing records. Dave Grimsich QB was transfer from BC. Might have been a DE there? Mike Dwyer moved from OG to NG,transferred to UMASS and became All YC and maybe AA I believe. Rhody had some real tough guys in late 70's and very early 80's. Records bounced from 7 wins to 1 win to 6 wins to 2 wins. UMASS had tough guys too (and better teams)-so this was a huge win for Rhody. Talbot,McPhillips,Deluca,Dwyer,Mut,Pelzer all either played or had cups of coffee @ professional level.

Umass74
March 8th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Yes-on defense-Dennis Talbot and Barney Rinaldi were 2X All YC . Tony Deluca was 3X first team All-YC. Cal Whitfield switched to offense and set rushing records. On Offense Tom Mut and Bob Soderlund were two time All-YC selections. Rich Pelzer was 1st team AA and drafted by Eagles. Jon Rodgers set rushing records. Dave Grimsich QB was transfer from BC. Might have been a DE there? Mike Dwyer moved from OG to NG,transferred to UMASS and became All YC and maybe AA I believe. Rhody had some real tough guys in late 70's and very early 80's. Records bounced from 7 wins to 1 win to 6 wins to 2 wins. UMASS had tough guys too (and better teams)-so this was a huge win for Rhody. Talbot,McPhillips,Deluca,Dwyer,Mut,Pelzer all either played or had cups of coffee @ professional level.

Brad:

Thanks for the update. I should have remembered Mike Dwyer. I remember Deluca and Jon Rogers being great players now that I think of it.

Non-CAA/A10/Yankee Conference readers should know that UMass and Rhode Island have played 82 times (the most in UMass history). We started in 1903. UMass holds a 45-35 edge, but Rhody dominated in the old Yankee Conference years.

Brad82
March 8th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Back in mid-late 70's Delaware and UMass were beasts of the east (like today)-so this win got Rhody started on a nice 5 year roll.

Cobblestone
March 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM

The memories... the memories. xthumbsupx xbawlingx xbawlingx