PDA

View Full Version : Is there a rule?

aztecjim
March 6th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Saw a quote attributed to San Diego States' AD. He said they(and all FBS full scholly schools) aren't allowed to play non-scholly schools like San Diego. True?

danefan
March 6th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Not true per say. San Diego is considered a non-counter school because they don't give enough scholarships or equivalents. So because of that, playing them will not count for San Diego State's bowl eligibility status.

I-AA Fan
March 7th, 2008, 07:38 AM
The WAC, MAC, and Mountain have conference rules that prevent teams from traveling to I-AA programs, but I do not know of any NCAA rule. I also know they are allowed to play I-AA at home.

andy7171
March 7th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I'm with Danefan. They could play each other but should SDSU win, it wouldn't count towards bowl eligiblity. Like the West Chester win doesn't count towards FCS post season for Delaware.

EKU05
March 7th, 2008, 01:28 PM
The WAC, MAC, and Mountain have conference rules that prevent teams from traveling to I-AA programs, but I do not know of any NCAA rule. I also know they are allowed to play I-AA at home.

The Sun Belt has this rule as well.

The first response was the important one. The SDSU coach obviously oversimplified it for the media. Technically he could schedule an non-scholarship team, but it was be beyond stupid since the win wouldn't count toward Bowl eligibility...and with the quality of many non-scholarship teams like USD and Dayton it would be much more beneficial to schedule a scholarship FCS team that may not be hardly any better, but WILL count toward bowl eligibility.

Poly Pigskin
March 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM

The first response was the important one. The SDSU coach obviously oversimplified it for the media. Technically he could schedule an non-scholarship team, but it was be beyond stupid since the win wouldn't count toward Bowl eligibility...and with the quality of many non-scholarship teams like USD and Dayton it would be much more beneficial to schedule a scholarship FCS team that may not be hardly any better, but WILL count toward bowl eligibility.

Unless they lose xsmiley_wix

nwFL Griz
March 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM

How long has the Sun Belt had this rule?

In 2003, Idaho traveled to Montana.

McTailGator
March 7th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Saw a quote attributed to San Diego States' AD. He said they(and all FBS full scholly schools) aren't allowed to play non-scholly schools like San Diego. True?

What he probably means is they would not be able to count a win vs USD for Bowl Eligibility because they do not average 55 scholarships over a 3 year period as required by the NCAA.

I do not know if SDSU's conference has any other rules that might prohibit it.

McTailGator
March 7th, 2008, 04:31 PM

2 years.

EKU05
March 8th, 2008, 08:55 AM

It was instituted before last season. I only know about it because it was the final straw that broke down talks of a continued home and home between EKU and WKU. For what it's worth, the SBC version of the rule also prevents neutral site games which means that any future "Battles of the Bluegrass" would have to be played in Bowling Green (after this season's game which will be in Richmond as WKU is still an independent for one more year).