PDA

View Full Version : Young ASU Def. May Prove Worthy

neersnbeers
March 5th, 2008, 09:09 AM
ASU's defense looking pretty tough during 11 on 11 drills. Good read, check it out and tell what ya think.

http://goasu.com/article/11643/

HighRyder08
March 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
i think we are about to do work!

appmountaineer
March 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I like to see that the red shirt guys are stepping up. I'm hoping for big things with all the red shirt wr's.

neersnbeers
March 5th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Thats awesome to see a young guy make a great open field tackle-for-loss on Coco. Also a solid backup for Devon in the backfield. GO APPS!!

AppStFan76
March 5th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I like to see that the red shirt guys are stepping up. I'm hoping for big things with all the red shirt wr's.

It sounds like our new second is giving our WR's some good practice. I like it!

trusty
March 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM
ASU's defense looking pretty tough during 11 on 11 drills. Good read, check it out and tell what ya think.

http://goasu.com/article/11643/

xboringx

CharlestonAppFan
March 5th, 2008, 12:56 PM
xboringx

Just like these Georgia South threads are much more entertaining...xsmiley_wix At least our recruits are doing it on the field xnodx and being talked about

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37229&highlight=georgia+southern+recruiting

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36665&highlight=georgia+southern+recruiting

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36305&highlight=georgia+southern+recruiting

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37520&highlight=georgia+southern+recruiting

neersnbeers
March 5th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Just like these Georgia South threads are much more entertaining...xsmiley_wix At least our recruits are doing it on the field xnodx and being talked about

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37229&highlight=georgia+southern+recruiting

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36665&highlight=georgia+southern+recruiting

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36305&highlight=georgia+southern+recruiting

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37520&highlight=georgia+southern+recruiting

Beat me to the punch. Got anything more interesting to talk about?? Didn't think so. Don't like it? Go on. :D Have a nice dayxpeacex

ericsaid
March 5th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Seems like there are more DB's than many people thought App had.

Will be exciting to see how they do.

muletrain
March 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Good observation. The Apps have historically been a defensive driven team. I can remember when we expected a score from the defense almost every game. The rebuild year for the defense was last year...nobody will be better in the box. No coverage sacks this year......rush interceptions!

neersnbeers
March 5th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Good observation. The Apps have historically been a defensive driven team. I can remember when we expected a score from the defense almost every game. The rebuild year for the defense was last year...nobody will be better in the box. No coverage sacks this year......rush interceptions!

'Nail on the head. I see alot of opposing QBs making some bad hurried throws. I also remember expecting those defensive scores, seemed like those momentum swings won alot of games.

Appinator
March 5th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I really think the play book will be opened up a little more on the defensive side as well. Not a lot of blitzing done on our part last year, mostly because our D-line was just trying to keep it's head above water trying to stop the run. With a more experianced group up front, expect to see some great blitz packages comming opponents ways.

AppGrad06
March 5th, 2008, 05:12 PM
[QUOTE=Appinator;886095]I really think the play book will be opened up a little more on the defensive side as well. Not a lot of blitzing done on our part last year, mostly because our D-line was just trying to keep it's head above water trying to stop the run. With a more experianced group up front, expect to see some great blitz packages comming opponents ways.[/QUOT

Good. That will be important when we face GSU, Wofford, and JMU, and if we don't want to get trampled by LSU.

appstate38
March 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM
The thing I like about this group is that they will see one of the best offenses in the FCS everyday in practice. Yes we gave up alot of yards and points last year, but I have to believe facing AE and that offense made them better and tougher.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
March 6th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I really think the play book will be opened up a little more on the defensive side as well. Not a lot of blitzing done on our part last year, mostly because our D-line was just trying to keep it's head above water trying to stop the run. With a more experianced group up front, expect to see some great blitz packages comming opponents ways.

Sounds good to me! The more you blitz, the fewer players our QB and RBs have to avoid downfield! :D xsmiley_wix

Appinator
March 6th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Sounds good to me! The more you blitz, the fewer players our QB and RBs have to avoid downfield! :D xsmiley_wix

I don't know if you have read up on all of my fellow App's posts, but all of our front seven are first round draft material. With all of this blitzing, we'll probably get around 20-30 sacks in the game.xlolx

RazorEdge19
March 6th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I don't know if you have read up on all of my fellow App's posts, but all of our front seven are first round draft material. With all of this blitzing, we'll probably get around 20-30 sacks in the game.xlolx

That first-round draft material sure showed itself against Wofford and GSU...xwhistlex

AppIAA
March 6th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Im pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

They may not have showed up against Woffy or GSU, but they showed up where it mattered.. in the playoffs and championship game -- where were Woffy and GSU's players then?

They have another year under their belts, and will be the best front 7 in the FCS without a doubt. We have our D-line figured out now and are healthy. It will be a dangerous season for opposing QBs

RazorEdge19
March 6th, 2008, 01:18 PM

They may not have showed up against Woffy or GSU, but they showed up where it mattered.. in the playoffs and championship game -- where were Woffy and GSU's players then?

They have another year under their belts, and will be the best front 7 in the FCS without a doubt. We have our D-line figured out now and are healthy. It will be a dangerous season for opposing QBs

I think it was more your offense showed up. It showed up so much that it forced opposing offenses to get out of their normal routine in an attempt to play catch-up. That's where I'd heft most of the responsibility for the NC, on your offense's ability to score a lot quickly and forcing other teams into situations favorable for your defense.

AppGrad06
March 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM
We did force most teams to look to the passing game a lot in order to play catch up.

neersnbeers
March 6th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I think it was more your offense showed up. It showed up so much that it forced opposing offenses to get out of their normal routine in an attempt to play catch-up. That's where I'd heft most of the responsibility for the NC, on your offense's ability to score a lot quickly and forcing other teams into situations favorable for your defense.

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

RazorEdge19
March 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM
We did force most teams to look to the passing game a lot in order to play catch up.

That's what I mean. Teams that knew they could run the ball between the tackles were able to execute against the ASU defense. (Wofford, GSU, JMU, and even Chat to some extent) The only team I was really surprised about was Richmond and how they were not able to run with Hightower. However, I think that game can be answered by my previous comment about ASU's offense and how good it is.

rudy1648
March 6th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Looked at the link to GoASU,,,see Smith wearing white pants with white jersey, instead of black pants. Is this going to be something they wear in games this year? Looks good I think

james_lawfirm
March 6th, 2008, 02:59 PM
That's what I mean. Teams that knew they could run the ball between the tackles were able to execute against the ASU defense. (Wofford, GSU, JMU, and even Chat to some extent) The only team I was really surprised about was Richmond and how they were not able to run with Hightower. However, I think that game can be answered by my previous comment about ASU's offense and how good it is.

OK, you have oversimplified this until it is almost meaningless.

"Running the ball between the tackles" to me means running straight up the middle with a BIG fullback and smaller (but still big) halfback. Smash-mouth football like ASU used to play prior to 2004. That is NOT what executed well against ASU's defense in 2007. I think that is what Richmond tried (and Furman) and they were surprised by the resistance they found. I have watched that Richmond game a number of times & it gets more fun each time watching ASU stop the big guy.

ASU (and everyone else) had a tough time with small, quick, fast option teams. GSU & Wofford executed a GREAT game against ASU last year. As I recall, they were not "running between the tackles", rather they were running around the tackles. JMU executed a great game too, but they were different from the others in that they intended to just GRIND it out (3.5 yds per carry) and keep ASU's offense off the field.

But, I will agree that ASU's offense was something else. What are they going to do to top that this year?

Appinator
March 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM

You are CORRECT sir, all-around!

ericsaid
March 6th, 2008, 03:24 PM

I believe you forgot also Delawares offense last season. Omar Cuff had run for i think 1800 yards and 34 td's. Appalachian held him to under 100 yards also.

ericsaid
March 6th, 2008, 03:29 PM
App's defense this year will be much like the 05' team i do believe.

The secondary has some very athletic underclassmen coming up and filling in. They also are more prototypical in their size. Unlike Touchstone who was 5'6 and Woazeah who was aorund 5'10.

Maybe the secondary will suprise some people?xeekx

muletrain
March 6th, 2008, 05:42 PM
The front seven will make it harder to run ball control-clock management as JMU did last year. As for the inconsistancy on D last year......Our lateral speed helped with zone blocking offences like Michigan and Richmond. Teams that ran the counter, QB draw, and trap hurt us with our own speed. The 4 - 4 suffers against the triple option unless the tackles are in a slant stunt ..thats OK..hits put the ball on the ground in the triple option. Look for alot of 3rd and longs.......we'll blitz when we get off the bus. Smith at linebacker as a Soph and the improved French connection changes an offensive gameplan. Look for more isolations, slants, and quick outs. Slants and quick outs mean more tip balls and picks.

appstate38
March 6th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Our best defense is still the offense. But the fact that they are a year older up front will pay huge benefits down the road. Plus there will be more depth on the D-Line which is always good. I personally, am wondering if someone will figure out how to shut down a healthy AE. If that is possible then the D will have to step up.

ericsaid
March 6th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Well, i'm kind of interested to see how the freshmen De'andre pressley will do. Maybe if App plays good enough against Jacksonville or Presybeterian(sp?) he may get a shot.

Coach Moore say's in the films he watched you would think he was AE if he had the number 14.

ericsaid
March 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Also John Rizor, a big guy that will be a freshmen this season. He is 6'4 225 and runs a 4.5 or 4.6 according to rivals.

I wouldn't be suprised one bit to see him at linebacker. Theres a clip on Goasu where theres an interview with Jerry Moore about this years class.

BDKJMU
March 6th, 2008, 06:43 PM
The front seven will make it harder to run ball control-clock management as JMU did last year. As for the inconsistancy on D last year......Our lateral speed helped with zone blocking offences like Michigan and Richmond. Teams that ran the counter, QB draw, and trap hurt us with our own speed. The 4 - 4 suffers against the triple option unless the tackles are in a slant stunt ..thats OK..hits put the ball on the ground in the triple option. Look for alot of 3rd and longs.......we'll blitz when we get off the bus. Smith at linebacker as a Soph and the improved French connection changes an offensive gameplan. Look for more isolations, slants, and quick outs. Slants and quick outs mean more tip balls and picks.

JMU runs a shotgun spread read option ZONE BLOCKING scheme.

RazorEdge19
March 6th, 2008, 07:20 PM
OK, you have oversimplified this until it is almost meaningless.

"Running the ball between the tackles" to me means running straight up the middle with a BIG fullback and smaller (but still big) halfback. Smash-mouth football like ASU used to play prior to 2004. That is NOT what executed well against ASU's defense in 2007. I think that is what Richmond tried (and Furman) and they were surprised by the resistance they found. I have watched that Richmond game a number of times & it gets more fun each time watching ASU stop the big guy.

ASU (and everyone else) had a tough time with small, quick, fast option teams. GSU & Wofford executed a GREAT game against ASU last year. As I recall, they were not "running between the tackles", rather they were running around the tackles. JMU executed a great game too, but they were different from the others in that they intended to just GRIND it out (3.5 yds per carry) and keep ASU's offense off the field.

But, I will agree that ASU's offense was something else. What are they going to do to top that this year?

Erm, ok. Running the ball 'between the tackles' is far more then just a straight dive play. There's zone reads, isos, counters, veers, triple options, speed options, zone bend backs, etc etc. A whole list of running plays that take place between the tackles. Those teams were able to execute said plays against the ASU interior defensive line. Now, I would venture to say what beat you wasn't those plays, per se, but the ability to execute those plays well. By having a running threat to the interior, ASU's linebackers were not able to play outside and therefore outside runs were able to work against them as well.

It seemed to me that teams that were able to establish their running game against ASU's defense were the only ones with opportunities to beat them. (Wofford, GSU, JMU)

As for the ASU offense, I guess we'll see if anyone has figured out how to stop them next season...

ericsaid
March 6th, 2008, 07:23 PM
We still won. With I think 18 minutes of possession. JMU's avg. per carry was only 4.6 also.

This years game should be fun with the veteran front 7. Wonder what the game plan will be this time around.

Jerbearasu
March 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
This years game should be fun with the veteran front 7. Wonder what the game plan will be this time around.

In all fairness, the front 7 is only 3 games more experienced than when we played JMU last. It's not like we had JMU at the beginning of the season where there were no developed players. These guys had been in the system all year and the Dukes still found a way to make a solid gameplan against us. This year's game should be much the same...

ericsaid
March 6th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I doubt it. It will be close but 4.6 yard average yards per carry won't cut it every game.

ericsaid
March 6th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I hope.

neersnbeers
March 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Erm, ok. Running the ball 'between the tackles' is far more then just a straight dive play. There's zone reads, isos, counters, veers, triple options, speed options, zone bend backs, etc etc. A whole list of running plays that take place between the tackles. Those teams were able to execute said plays against the ASU interior defensive line. Now, I would venture to say what beat you wasn't those plays, per se, but the ability to execute those plays well. By having a running threat to the interior, ASU's linebackers were not able to play outside and therefore outside runs were able to work against them as well.

It seemed to me that teams that were able to establish their running game against ASU's defense were the only ones with opportunities to beat them. (Wofford, GSU, JMU)

As for the ASU offense, I guess we'll see if anyone has figured out how to stop them next season...

Veer?? I ran that in high school. 8 years ago. No smack just an observation that this is 2008. New age offensive. But back to topic. I also agree with the better sized dbs in that they can compete with short routes.

neersnbeers
March 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Check this out.

http://goasu.com/article/11655/

AppIAA
March 7th, 2008, 07:54 AM
In all fairness, the front 7 is only 3 games more experienced than when we played JMU last. It's not like we had JMU at the beginning of the season where there were no developed players. These guys had been in the system all year and the Dukes still found a way to make a solid gameplan against us. This year's game should be much the same...

But now they are all healthy, we have figured out where to play who, etc.

If you remember last year, Tharington was hurt practically every play. And some say its cause hes a baby, but he played through a lot of injuries. Also, we kept moving our guys around, trying to find the perfect fit for everyone.. it seems to me we finally did that with shutting down both Hightower and Cuff in the last 2 games..

AppIAA
March 7th, 2008, 07:55 AM

You're right.. our defense just stood there and somehow cause turnovers than won games.. Never tried to rush the QB, never tried to break up passes, just simply stood there and watched the opponents run right by them

Appinator
March 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM
But now they are all healthy, we have figured out where to play who, etc.

If you remember last year, Tharington was hurt practically every play. And some say its cause hes a baby, but he played through a lot of injuries. Also, we kept moving our guys around, trying to find the perfect fit for everyone.. it seems to me we finally did that with shutting down both Hightower and Cuff in the last 2 games..

He's not Tharington any more, he is Boo-Boo.

RazorEdge19
March 7th, 2008, 08:41 AM
You're right.. our defense just stood there and somehow cause turnovers than won games.. Never tried to rush the QB, never tried to break up passes, just simply stood there and watched the opponents run right by them

They watched Foster go past them.

They watched Wofford's list of RBs go around and through them.

I only know of one turnover your defense caused that resulted in a victory, and that was JMU. If a team had a strong offensive line, then they gave ASU trouble.

Appinator
March 7th, 2008, 08:43 AM

I only know of one turnover your defense caused that resulted in a victory, and that was JMU. If a team had a strong offensive line, then they gave ASU trouble.

A turnover caused the Michigan victory.....

I love reminding people about thatxthumbsupx

AppIAA
March 7th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Yup, we only caused one turnover all season the helped us win the game..

Every other interception, fumble recovery, blocked punt, blocked kick, etc. didnt matter to the team at all.. didnt give them momentum, didnt give them any extra push in winning any other games.

One? I guess we didnt block 2 FG attempts at Michigan after all? Man, what a wild dream I had last night!

neersnbeers
March 7th, 2008, 09:04 AM

I can promise you there will be different results this year at KBS. xpeacex

james_lawfirm
March 7th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Actually, lots of teams watched Foster go past them. And, lots of other teams watched Wofford's RBs run around them.

james_lawfirm
March 7th, 2008, 10:34 AM
A turnover caused the Michigan victory.....

I love reminding people about thatxthumbsupx

Not true, not true. SPEED caused the Michigan victory. That last blocked field goal was just more evidence of the speed & quickness.

The most important play of the Mich. game was App's third play from scrimmage - NOT the blocked field goal at the end.

SideLine Shooter
March 7th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I think it will be another fine year for the NEERS. Let's do it!!!!!

Appinator
March 7th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Not true, not true. SPEED caused the Michigan victory. That last blocked field goal was just more evidence of the speed & quickness.

The most important play of the Mich. game was App's third play from scrimmage - NOT the blocked field goal at the end.

Maybe I'm not that up to date on how the game of football is played, but if UM makes the field goal, they win right? By causing the turnover, we prevented the points, and thus won the game on a turnover.

I digress however, speed or turnovers, who cares! We Won!

james_lawfirm
March 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Maybe I'm not that up to date on how the game of football is played, but if UM makes the field goal, they win right? By causing the turnover, we prevented the points, and thus won the game on a turnover.

I digress however, speed or turnovers, who cares! We Won!

Actually, you said it "caused" the victory. Us lawyers are big on the concept of causation, and I was just calling it like I saw it. I digress too. Yep, we won. My meager point was that App won the game on more than just one play. One play can be overcome, speed, however, cannot.

ericsaid
March 7th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Well, i believe the most important play was the interception by Leonard Love when UM was driving.

Quavian Lewis from Vanderbilt will be playing on the d-line for the App's this year. Maybe even Line Backer because he runs around a 4.6 . Appalachian brought in another freshmen of the same size and speed so two 6'4 linebackers would be interesting.

Not saying that would help but it would be neat to see against LSU.

B&G
March 7th, 2008, 08:44 PM
One thing that worries me about that write up is that it isn't too much different than the '07 defense. It sounds like they were giving up huge chunks of yardage to the run game and then buckling down in the red zone. But that was against a backup offense. Would they have been able to stop the starters? I'm not trying to piss on the parade but let's begin any comparisons to the '85 Bears just yet.

ericsaid
March 7th, 2008, 09:23 PM
That wasn't the back up offense. The runningback they are stopping seems he may be the #2 back coming into the season. He's also bigger then Devon Moore and it's an 11 on 11.

They will be good this coming season, don't be doubtful.

BULLDOG8180
March 7th, 2008, 11:42 PM
That wasn't the back up offense. The runningback they are stopping seems he may be the #2 back coming into the season. He's also bigger then Devon Moore and it's an 11 on 11.

They will be good this coming season, don't be doubtful.

Doesn't look like AE participated in the 11 on 11.

AppMan
March 8th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Yes, our young and inexperienced DL got pushed around a lot last season, but it's a new year and some new faces will allow the staff to move some folks around and remedy the depth and fatique problems from '07. Impact player #1 is Vandy transfer Quavian Lewis who steps in to one DE spot while LSU transfer Tim Washington and Jr Tony Robertson fight it out for the other starting spot. Future star Jabari Fletcher will be hard to keep off the field and gives the Apps four solid DE's. Lewis could allow All American Gary Tharrington (275) to move along side Soph Anthony Williams (285) at the starting DTs. Backups Jr Danniel Finnery (255) and Soph Bobby Bozzo (270) are joined by juco Malcolm Bennett (270) and RS Freshmen Anthony Wilson (290) and Gordy Witte (6' 8" 290) to give the Apps a lot of depth at DL. I expect this unit to go from being one of the weak links in '07 to one of ASU's best in '08.

neersnbeers
March 8th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Doesn't look like AE participated in the 11 on 11.

Took over half the snaps.

ericsaid
March 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Yeah so the defense i believe from what i've read will be good this year if doing all of the things to armanti that other defenses can't.

Should be a good year for the D.