9/27 at Delaware (4)
10/4 at Duquense (104)
10/11 vs. Central Conn. (92)
10/18 at Sacred Heart (120)
10/25 vs St. Francis (114)
11/1 vs. Monmouth (89)
11/8 at Robert Morris (107)
11/15 vs. Wagner (99)

Average GPI of 67 - not bad with 5 (almost 6) teams over the century mark.

Brutal

danefan
March 4th, 2008, 01:09 PM
4 out of first 5 games against 2007 playoff teams.......

UNHWildCats
March 4th, 2008, 01:16 PM
hmm wonder when URI and Fordham are playing now.

danefan
March 4th, 2008, 01:19 PM
hmm wonder when URI and Fordham are playing now.

Hate to say I told you so..........but I told you so.......xthumbsupx xpeacex xsmiley_wix

dgreco
March 4th, 2008, 01:39 PM
tough schedule, good scheduling by UA

OLPOP
March 4th, 2008, 01:46 PM
URI's website has them at Fordham on 9/6.

danefan
March 4th, 2008, 01:50 PM
URI's website has them at Fordham on 9/6.

Interesting......I know Albany and Fordham have played the 9/11 weekend (or around it) for many years now.

I'm doing some digging and I'll post what I find out (if anything).

OLPOP
March 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM
The Fordham recruiting class press release also says they open at home with URI on 9/6.

danefan
March 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM
The Fordham recruiting class press release also says they open at home with URI on 9/6.

Interesting. Albany usually doesn't release its schedule until the contracts are actually signed. They don't usually do what some schools do and release under the caveat that the schedule is subject to change. I emailed the UA athletic department for clarification. We'll have to wait and see.xthumbsupx

OLPOP
March 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks. I need to know where to go to watch my son play that day.

danefan
March 4th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks. I need to know where to go to watch my son play that day.

Hahaha.xlolx xlolx

Maybe they'll play a double header. The Albany game is scheduled for 6pm. We'll move it to 8pm in Albany!

Play URI at home at 1pm and make the 2hr drive to Albany and play again at 8.!xthumbsupx

Dane96
March 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Can we just go full-scholarship already. This is freaking silly. That OOC is beyond playoff caliber.

nwFL Griz
March 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM
You win all those OOC, and I think we should give y'all the CAA's auto-bid! xlolx

Dane96
March 4th, 2008, 03:13 PM
If we win all those games...I will run around the streets of Boston naked.

Heck, I will be satisfied with 2-3.

danefan
March 4th, 2008, 03:19 PM
If we win all those games...I will run around the streets of Boston naked.

Heck, I will be satisfied with 2-3.

2-3 with wins over Fordham and Hofstra and close games (within 2 tds at UNH, UD and UMass) is just fine with me!

That will, in all liklihood, put us on pace to go 9-3 and should put us in contention for an at-large. Obviously depending upon what happens in the rest of the country.xthumbsupx

Dane96
March 4th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I am just excited that I can go to multiple local games in UNH and UMASS!

danefan
March 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Looks like they will start off 0 and 5 .

xwhistlex

JMG1MON
March 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Great schedule as always guys. Looking forward to our game as always. Good luck to you and represent the NEC well!!!

Dane96
March 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM
So because your team may suck it up it is ok for you to comment on the Danes?

We may very well be 0-5, but you clearly haven't followed the Danes if you are guaranteeing we will.

Hence, the whistle....

dgreco
March 4th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I think bryant has a legit shot to have a 5-6 season which is nothing to be to upset about.

I also think UAlbany won't go worse than 2-3 on the OCC schedule.

Gil Dobie
March 4th, 2008, 07:03 PM
http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=1404602
Date Team (final 07 GPI)

8/30 at UMass (4)
9/6 vs Fordham (35)
9/13 at Hofstra (21)
9/20 at UNH (13)
9/27 at Delaware (7)
10/4 at Duquense (104)
11/1 vs. Monmouth (89)
11/15 vs. Wagner (99)

Brutal

Looks like a great schedule, too bad you didn't get a CAA team at home though.

WWII
March 4th, 2008, 07:40 PM
We'll need our new stadium for that.

Dane96
March 4th, 2008, 07:42 PM
We get Hofstra at home every other year.

Seawolf97
March 4th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Seriously good luck in 2008 ! That is a tough schedulexthumbsupx

Syntax Error
March 5th, 2008, 01:17 AM
If we win all those games...I will run around the streets of Boston naked...xeekx xnonox xeekx That would be a dud but the OOC doesn't have one at all! xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
March 5th, 2008, 06:45 AM
One things for sure...by week six you'll know what kind of team you've got!xeekx

GPI for UD and UMass are reversed, by the way. UD #4, and UMass #7.

Dane96
March 5th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Sure will-- I still think it is way too much with only 30 rides (I believe you will see about 20 or so playing-- we redshirt our Frosh and our last 8 or so rides were implemented this year).

That being said, with the 12 game schedule it seems like we are playing two conference schedules: NEC and CAA!

UAalum72
March 5th, 2008, 07:33 AM
You win all those OOC, and I think we should give y'all the CAA's auto-bid! xlolx
Maybe we should play Rhode Island instead of Fordham. Boost our chance for the CAA bid, and get a home game because we might have the bigger crowd.

JoltinJoe
March 5th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Maybe we should play Rhode Island instead of Fordham. Boost our chance for the CAA bid, and get a home game because we might have the bigger crowd.

Since both the URI and Albany schedules both have them playing Fordham on 9/6, maybe that's the way to resolve the problem.
xlolx

Seriously, anyone have any idea? The Fordham unofficial schedule had us hosting URI that day, I think.

Dane96
March 5th, 2008, 08:30 AM
It is a bit strange...and we have been trying to figure it out. One of the biggest complaint Albany fans have is that the school waits FOREVER to release recruit and schedule lists. They want to wait until things are "OFFICIAL."

So for this to be wrong, is a bit odd.

WrenFGun
March 5th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Great schedule, Albany. I expect a tough game when you come to Durham.

Tribe4SF
March 5th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Sure will-- I still think it is way too much with only 30 rides (I believe you will see about 20 or so playing-- we redshirt our Frosh and our last 8 or so rides were implemented this year).

That being said, with the 12 game schedule it seems like we are playing two conference schedules: NEC and CAA!

Read on UA website that you only return 10 starters? YIKES! Those first five games look even tougher.

89Hen
March 5th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Date Team (final 07 GPI)

8/30 at UMass (4)
9/6 vs Fordham (35)
9/13 at Hofstra (21)
9/20 at UNH (13)
9/27 at Delaware (7)
10/4 at Duquense (104)
11/1 vs. Monmouth (89)
11/15 vs. Wagner (99)

Brutal
Congrats on another great schedule! xbowx

I don't want to completely hijack the thread, but this schedule and rankings should highlight to everyone why the NEC (or PFL/Big South) has a hard time getting sympathy from a lot of people on them not getting playoff bids. Albany has the right idea of how to get one, but too many other teams won't play this kind of schedule, but will complain when they go 10-1 or 9-2 and don't get a bid.

Thank you Albany for showing others the way. xthumbsupx

D1scout
March 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Congrats on another great schedule! xbowx

I don't want to completely hijack the thread, but this schedule and rankings should highlight to everyone why the NEC (or PFL/Big South) has a hard time getting sympathy from a lot of people on them not getting playoff bids. Albany has the right idea of how to get one, but too many other teams won't play this kind of schedule, but will complain when they go 10-1 or 9-2 and don't get a bid.

Thank you Albany for showing others the way. xthumbsupx

With the schedule loaded with top CAA teams is there any feeling out there that they will become a CAA North program in the near future.xconfusedx

Tribe4SF
March 5th, 2008, 09:06 AM
With the schedule loaded with top CAA teams is there any feeling out there that they will become a CAA North program in the near future.xconfusedx

Very doubtful. CAA is not going to be shopping for any football only members, and is more than big enough already.

89Hen
I doubt it, but I sure wouldn't mind if they came in for all sports. They're a better fit than some of the other CAA schools IMO.

Dane96
One man (well...at least two here--Danefan) can only dream.

Ruler
March 5th, 2008, 09:12 AM
If there ever was a question about UA's big picture plan this certainly shows which direction we are headed!!!! I have been told the ONLY thing holding up full scholly ball is a home. If the NEC goes to 45(does anyone have any info on this???) it may stay if they don't I believe they will wait till things begin to transform in 2010. UA wants to be a full scholarship team.

From the highest source possible at UA: "We will field a fully funded scholarship football team."

BTW The starters returning is incorrect. The offense has 8 of 11 starters back. They lose a couple of ordinary WR...big deal. The D loses Disch and Dungey, Volpe and Sheehan which is a big deal. They are pretty excited by the nucleous they have coming back on both sides of the ball. They lose an exceptional FG kicker and I think their punter is back. Look for a couple of transfer surprises pretty soon.

Dane96
March 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Ruler, BTW...my apologies- YOU HAVE BEEN MIA.

Make that three who dream to be in the CAA.

Dane96
March 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM
BTW The starters returning is incorrect. The offense has 8 of 11 starters back. They lose a couple of ordinary WR...big deal. The D loses Disch and Dungey, Volpe and Sheehan which is a big deal. They are pretty excited by the nucleous they have coming back on both sides of the ball. They lose an exceptional FG kicker and I think their punter is back. Look for a couple of transfer surprises pretty soon.

I am really concerned with losing our entire starting D-Line...and our best Linebacker. With that early schedule, it will be Baptism by fire.

That being said, 2009-2010 will be a VERY good year. Probably (if my math is right) 18 starters all on scholarship, with backups all on scholarships...and all sophs or juniors...return.

Tribe4SF
March 5th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Going off last seasons media guide the Danes lose the following starters.

Offense- Pagano, Wentzell, DeAuraujo, Wall, Beigel and Johnson.
Defense- Sheehan, Dungey, Volpe, Disch, Genovesi and Dupont.

That would leave 10 returning.

Dane96
March 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Johnson did not start. Sheehan did not start...but was like a starter. Genovesi was a part-time starter...same with Sheehan.

Ruler
March 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Wentzell split time with Leilble. Wall was good and will be missed. Johnson as posted did not start lost his job to McCarty, Pagano is the OL I was refeering to. No one else on O mattered. D is hurt with the loss of Disch, Dungey, Volpe, and Sheehan. The others were not starters. Genovesi filled in for Disch when Disch was injured technically making him a starter.

They are in excellent shape on O and 4 HUGE holes to fill on D. Side note: The kid Anderson who will be playing NG or DT is bigger then Dungey and from what I am told possibly the best down lineman UA has ever gotten. He is big with great speed for this level. Too small for Rutgers, UCONN, and Syracuse asked him to walk on.NFL scouts look for this kid in a few years.

danefan
March 5th, 2008, 11:26 AM
So my thoughts are:
We should have the personnel to remain strong offensively. With that being said we are going to have a first-year offensive coordinator who has never called plays anywhere. Now, with Fordie in his ear, I'm sure it will be consistent, but that has to be a factor for consideration.

On defense we have a different story. We had 41 sacks last year with 27 of them coming from Sheehan, Dungey, Volpe, Disch, Genovesi and Dupont.

However, five of the top 6 tacklers are returning and 3 returning players with 2 or more INT's.

We need to sure up our secondary next year more than anything. That does not necessarily mean dealing with personnel. We have the worst soft zone scheme around. It has been the Achilles heal of our defense for the past 8-10 years at least. The 10-15 yard soft sit down and crossing routes have killed us consistently and will continue to do so if we the scheme we have which puts to much pressure on OLB to cover huge zones. This will be especially true this year because, at least at first, we won't have the pressure on the QB that we had last year.

On the CAA take: Things will become much clearer when the stadium gets shored up. No conference will take us playing in the craphole we play in now. We need to either drop $15mm into University field to "bowl" it in, or move fast with the financing of the stadium as currently planned. This purgatory we sit in does nothing for our program or our hopes of moving forward. And the last thing we need is to be put even further behind SBU in the advancement to full scholly land.

89Hen
March 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM
On the CAA take: Things will become much clearer when the stadium gets shored up. No conference will take us playing in the craphole we play in now.
You obviously haven't seen some of the CAA stadiums. xeyebrowx xcoffeex xsmiley_wix

danefan
March 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM
You obviously haven't seen some of the CAA stadiums. xeyebrowx xcoffeex xsmiley_wix

Yeah I know, but they are already league members....sort of like when after a fews years of marriage you stop trying to impressive your spouse with your looks....well we're sitting at the bar with a Hendrick's martini in our hand and a $5,000 watch hidden beneath a faded $20 shirt from 1976 (and no it's not retro)......and surprise surprise....nobody wants to pick us up.

IMO, University Field is much worse then anything you guys have to offer........even Northeastern

89Hen
March 5th, 2008, 12:50 PM
IMO, University Field is much worse then anything you guys have to offer........even Northeastern
xeyebrowx Need more info.

danefan
March 5th, 2008, 12:54 PM
xeyebrowx Need more info.

Wooden bleachers on the home side that were literally put up in the early 70's and only updated with a coat of paint every few years. You can only really see if you are at least 5 or 6 rows from the bottom because you are so far away from the field. The field is separated from the home bleachers by a track and a two lane road!

The away side has temporary metal bleachers to seat probably no more then 500 which, while temporary in style, are permanent in nature as they have been there for at least 20 years (correct me if I'm wrong UA guys). They border on being unsafe for many reasons.

The field itself is great. Natural grass and very well maintained.

You could find at least 50 high schools in NY that have better gameday facilities.

We make up for in recruiting to some extent because we have one of the nicest weight rooms in all of FCS land and no expense was really spared in the football lockerroom. All mahogony lockers,etc....with multiple flat panel tv's and a sick BOSE sound system with the controls built into the lockerroom walls. We also have the most ridiculous practice fields. They are in great condition and are maintained year round. The Giants can be thanked for that (not because they pay for it all, but because the University wants to keep it nice for them).

Dane96
March 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
You mean wooden stands that are bolted to concrete? Or the rusty visitor fan side stands

Or the bad angle of all the seats.

The IRONY? If they did it right, there is a natural bowl on University field. You can take half the dough and build straight down 15,000 seats...and connect the roof of University Gym to the home stands...and have enough room for an expandable 60k seat stadium...EASILY!

That being said, the field itself is amazing.

89Hen
March 5th, 2008, 01:29 PM
The field is separated from the home bleachers by a track and a two lane road!
xeyebrowx Are you serious? Is the road used, or is it just there? You could erect metal bleachers on the road for next to nothing... play one I-A game and they're paid for. xconfusedx

danefan
March 5th, 2008, 01:32 PM
xeyebrowx Are you serious? Is the road used, or is it just there? You could erect metal bleachers on the road for next to nothing... play one I-A game and they're paid for. xconfusedx

The road is a service road sort of. The most action it gets all year is when the Giants park there.

There are so many things we could do to that field to make it better. They haven't spent any money because they are trying like hell to put all the money to a completely new stadium.

We could easily have a stadium similar to Hofstra's that didn't take a ton of money to build.

UAalum72
March 5th, 2008, 01:40 PM
https://admin.xosn.com/fls/15800/images/football-field-arial.jpg

You can see a couple of trucks parked in the road (really more of a driveway). The wooden bleachers are actually bolted to the gym steps.
Last I checked the metal bleachers were starting to rust.

89Hen
March 5th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Good grief, I can't even see stands in that photo... it holds 10k?! xconfusedx xconfusedx

Do you know if the new plans have a track around the field? I don't know much about Albany, but I'd have to guess you have room for a track elsewhere. I'd also have to guess that you don't get too many fans for T&F, so having stands can't be very important.

danefan
March 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Good grief, I can't even see stands in that photo... it holds 10k?! xconfusedx xconfusedx

Do you know if the new plans have a track around the field? I don't know much about Albany, but I'd have to guess you have room for a track elsewhere. I'd also have to guess that you don't get too many fans for T&F, so having stands can't be very important.

Here is the rendering of the new stadium. No track. But a new track is in the works for the athletic master plan.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_iVuc95ewGvk/R6NFQBCS_WI/AAAAAAAACtE/A5ORV80TcgE/S240/2001187791026637160_rs.jpg

It will not be built where the current field sits.

danefan
March 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM

We don't get any track crowds, because the track was improperly built and cannot hold an NCAA sanctioned event. The distance is wrong.

The stands do not hold 10,000. They probably hold about 4,000 but the hill is more pronounced the picture shows and you can put at least 4,000 on the hill if you needed to.

UAalum72
March 5th, 2008, 01:50 PM
The '10K' includes sitting on the grass. Actual seating capacity is somewhere under 4K.

I thought the problem with the track is that it only has seven lanes.

89Hen
March 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Here is the rendering of the new stadium. No track. But a new track is in the works for the athletic master plan.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_iVuc95ewGvk/R6NFQBCS_WI/AAAAAAAACtE/A5ORV80TcgE/S240/2001187791026637160_rs.jpg
Well hell, that's a great looking plan! And at least you have plans. xthumbsupx Now you just need to keep applying the pressure. Do they have a target number for donations or state funds that they need to get to implement?

danefan
March 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Well hell, that's a great looking plan! And at least you have plans. xthumbsupx Now you just need to keep applying the pressure. Do they have a target number for donations or state funds that they need to get to implement?

They asked for $60mm from the state ($30mm for the stadium and $30mm for other athletic upgrades) but the Governor's budget came back with.......ready for it......$0.

The budget itsn't final, but it's not looking great on state funding.

Which really sucks because both Buffalo and Stony Brook built there stadiums primarily with state money and UA deserves its share. Plus we've got more conference titles and NCAA appearance then both SBU and UB combined....xrulesx

We don't have a great alumni giving culture. UAlbany was grown from the New York State Teacher's College so as you can imagine, those who fill the big donor shoes at other schools (old rich people) aren't really present for us. They were all teachers making little or no money.

yorkcountyUNHfan
March 5th, 2008, 02:04 PM
You guys will feel right at home when you come to Durham.

Dane96
March 5th, 2008, 02:23 PM
One thing to mention-- The plan for the T&F stadium is really nice-- 5k seats I believe.

Remember, Albany T&F is one of the finest programs in the country. We have 5 or 6 legitimate potential Olympians. We went down to Arkansas and took it to some of the biggest and baddest programs in the country.

With a legit track and field, they would get some pretty decent crowds with Regional Events.

As for the 60mm...basically 30mm is for the stadium. The other 30mm would connect the SEFCU ARENA to the NEW STADIUM and there would be sports medicine facilities, offices, etc...plus new concessions and Atrium for the Arena.

Ruler
March 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Think land grant and bonding for the funds. The state will put up, it just wont be to the tune of 60M

WWII
March 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM
They asked for $60mm from the state ($30mm for the stadium and $30mm for other athletic upgrades) but the Governor's budget came back with.......ready for it......$0.

The budget itsn't final, but it's not looking great on state funding.

The budget hasn't been finalized and there are 160 million budgeted for capital projects which haven't been allocated to specific projects yet. I'm hoping the stadium funds are in there somewhere.

GannonFan
March 5th, 2008, 09:02 PM
http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=1404602
Date Team (final 07 GPI)

8/30 at UMass (7)
9/6 vs Fordham (35)
9/13 at Hofstra (21)
9/20 at UNH (13)
9/27 at Delaware (4)
10/4 at Duquense (104)
11/1 vs. Monmouth (89)
11/15 vs. Wagner (99)

Brutal

Great, and tough, schedule for the Danes. Almost half the schedule are quality OOC games that rival any schedule. If Albany can put enough wins together with this schedule (even 9 wins might do it) they are a playoff team. Well done. xthumbsupx

Dane96
March 5th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Clearly, you have not paid attention to Albany.

Here's a hint- Win, at Delaware. Win, at Lehigh. At Montana, played tough this year. Hofstra, within 13...and we played sloppy. Win at Fordham.

I can go on.

Barkin' up the wrong tree fella.

dgreco
March 6th, 2008, 07:15 AM
The NEC is in no way , anywhere close to the CAA.The Danes are a good NEC team, thats where it ends.

As good as charlie was he held the team back from actually being a decent passing team. Charlie could control the offense, but they had to roll out 10 yard pass all time. With a new kid back there with a solid arm they will be more balanced of an offense. SCSU always plays slow at the beginning of the season. I also think they have a shot to beat a few times like Marist and St. Fancis. Also, since 2004 they are 15-1 at home. They have played some good teams at home and I think they will keep those games close. Playing at SB they had the shot earlier gave it up with an INT in the endzone and just played scared the rest of the game. Same thing int he playoffs the game got to 28-27 SCSU and then they had a turnover and they got scared and played it safe and weren't aggressive.

Dane96
March 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Last year you lost to Colgate , Hofstra, and Montana, and you barely squeeked by Stony Brooke.Not impressed.

First, I am not impressed by the fact you can't spell Stony Brook.

Second, ask the Montana guys about Albany.

Third, we were well in that Hofstra game BUT for a long Kick Off return.

Fourth, we lost to Colgate in the final minutes by two...and missed two (maybe three-- I cant remember) MAKEABLE Field Goals...that our kicker NORMALLY would nail.

Did we mention that in ALL of those games, Albany was breaking in 7 offensive starters, most underclassman.

Move along now...nothing to see here. If you are a URI or Bryant fan...you should not be piping up. Why don't you get your head out of the bog.xnonox

89Hen
March 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM

I just wanted to bump this. That's a really good looking stadium.

danefan
March 6th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I just wanted to bump this. That's a really good looking stadium.

The original construction plan calls for only the home side to have the two-tiers, which would have a capacity of about 12,500, to be expandable to 25,000 to 30,000 if need be.

This is such a new thing in the region that there is a lot of skepticism and on top of that no one really knows what attendance could be like. When we had a Arena League team in the 90's they averaged about 14,000 per game, which isn't bad.

I think with a new stadium we would probably average about 10,000 per game until we were really competitive nationally. If we can get 6,000+ at the facilities we have now, we shouldn't have trouble with 10,000 with good facilities. One good run in the playoffs and you could be looking at expansion.

Plus it will be the only community based stadium of this size around and the only other outdoor stadiums within relative range in New York are the Carrier Dome (~2.5 hrs) and Michie Stadium (West Point ~2 hours).

Dane96
March 6th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I know right now the school is guestimating average attendence between 8500-10,000 until we get better comp and full-scholarship.

No doubt, if we could have a Top 20 team each year, we would get 14-18,000.

89Hen
March 6th, 2008, 10:41 AM
The original construction plan calls for only the home side to have the two-tiers, which would have a capacity of about 12,500, to be expandable to 25,000 to 30,000 if need be.

This is such a new thing in the region that there is a lot of skepticism and on top of that no one really knows what attendance could be like. When we had a Arena League team in the 90's they averaged about 14,000 per game, which isn't bad.

I think with a new stadium we would probably average about 10,000 per game until we were really competitive nationally. If we can get 6,000+ at the facilities we have now, we shouldn't have trouble with 10,000 with good facilities. One good run in the playoffs and you could be looking at expansion.

Plus it will be the only community based stadium of this size around and the only other outdoor stadiums within relative range in New York are the Carrier Dome (~2.5 hrs) and Michie Stadium (West Point ~2 hours).
I'd have to believe that you could draw as well as say UMass. Before their run in 1998 they were around 7k and have been 10k+ since. The question is, would the extra 3-4k be enough to justify the $MM to build a new one?

We're actually in the same boat. We currently average 22k and if we had a new stadium, we'd probably average around 27k. There are a lot of Hen fans that are absolutely in dreamland thinking we'd magically jump over 30k by building a new stadium. I think my 20% jump is more realistic. Now, does 5k more per year = $50M?... That's why the administration has been so slow to move, and I have to say, as much as it pains me, I have to agree with them.

Old Cage
March 6th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Don't hold your breath waiting for them to come to you. Won't happen.

danefan
March 6th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I'd have to believe that you could draw as well as say UMass. Before their run in 1998 they were around 7k and have been 10k+ since. The question is, would the extra 3-4k be enough to justify the $MM to build a new one?

We're actually in the same boat. We currently average 22k and if we had a new stadium, we'd probably average around 27k. There are a lot of Hen fans that are absolutely in dreamland thinking we'd magically jump over 30k by building a new stadium. I think my 20% jump is more realistic. Now, does 5k more per year = $50M?... That's why the administration has been so slow to move, and I have to say, as much as it pains me, I have to agree with them.

I agree to an extent. When you are talking about building a completely new stadium you have to be able to justify it with more then just 4,000 more fans. But when you build a stadium that is designed to be expandable many times over it shouldn't cost as much to do that expansion.

The problem with our current set up is we are getting the crowds we are because we have been successful. In order to build a program you have to be able to draw decent crowds even in an off year. To do that your games have to be more then just a football game. They have to be entertainment. Right now, we cannot do anything at the current field. If we go 5-7 next year, you can bet your a$$ we won't get 2,000 a game because they have no other reason to be there.

The proposed stadium is intended to be a community centerpiece. The capital region is a million strong and the university has about 18,000 students. There is definitely a need for entertainment in the area and this could fill that roll if done correctly.

Dane96
March 6th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Exactly. This thing, in a sense, is OWNED by the community. The figures I saw include concerts, High School football, lacrosse, etc.

The expandability number is for the obvious (though it would be YEARS...and I DO MEAN YEARS down the road)-- 30k is the magic number right now for FCS stadium requirements.

danefan
March 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Exactly. This thing, in a sense, is OWNED by the community. The figures I saw include concerts, High School football, lacrosse, etc.

The expandability number is for the obvious (though it would be YEARS...and I DO MEAN YEARS down the road)-- 30k is the magic number right now for FCS stadium requirements.

You mean FBS right?

Dane96
March 6th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah...lack of coffee and a doc review Vendor that I want to kill right now equated to typing "FCS" instead of "FBS."

Thankfully, I have had coffee and have Voodoo Dolled the Vendor.

I am better now.

OLPOP
March 6th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Hey Danefan, Any response yet to your inquiries on the Fordham/URI/Albany scheduling confusion?

danefan
March 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hey Danefan, Any response yet to your inquiries on the Fordham/URI/Albany scheduling confusion?

No word. They are probably trying to figure it out themselves. The schedule hasn't changed on either website though.

danefan
March 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM
wah wah wah, don't pick on my Albany, it's all i have, i got nothing else, i got nowhere else to go.i got nothing else.Stop picking on my Danes.The best of the NEC, what a joke conference.Nothing but a glorified D2.xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Interesting. So you are not a fan of Bryant's decision to come to the NEC?

danefan
March 6th, 2008, 04:04 PM
No I am not, they should have stayed where they are.

Your logic doesn't really make sense. You say that Bryant will get killed next year by the NEC. Bryant the winner of the NE-10 last year correct? Then you say that the NEC is nothing more then a glorified DII conference? I'm confused.

JoltinJoe
March 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM
wah wah wah, don't pick on my Albany, it's all i have, i got nothing else, i got nowhere else to go.i got nothing else.Stop picking on my Danes.The best of the NEC, what a joke conference.Nothing but a glorified D2.xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

xnonono2x Smack board ...

Dane96
March 6th, 2008, 06:43 PM
So...teams shouldn't take their lumps to aspire to a higher levels? Ummmm....Albany and Stony Brook played in the EFC, which eventually merged with the NE-10.

Albany (and to an extent Stony Brook) took some early lumps. Based on the last two seasons, it took us 5 years to get REALLY competitive...and that my friend, was because the NEC didn't offer scholarships off the bat.

Bryant is coming into a situation where they can ramp up to 30 rides spread out among 40-50 guys...very quickly (as soon as they can find the funds).

So, I doubt they will struggle for that long-- If they do it will be because of coaching/recruiting....NOT BECAUSE IT CAN'T BE DONE.

Look no further than Coastal a few years back.

Seawolf97
March 6th, 2008, 07:32 PM
So...teams shouldn't take their lumps to aspire to a higher levels? Ummmm....Albany and Stony Brook played in the EFC, which eventually merged with the NE-10.

Albany (and to an extent Stony Brook) took some early lumps. Based on the last two seasons, it took us 5 years to get REALLY competitive...and that my friend, was because the NEC didn't offer scholarships off the bat.

Bryant is coming into a situation where they can ramp up to 30 rides spread out among 40-50 guys...very quickly (as soon as they can find the funds).

So, I doubt they will struggle for that long-- If they do it will be because of coaching/recruiting....NOT BECAUSE IT CAN'T BE DONE.

Look no further than Coastal a few years back.

Well said. To advance a program takes time and dont expect miracles overnight. We have had our share of beatings but I know we will probably surprise a few folks this year. Byrant will do well over time.

footballman65
March 6th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I spoke with the Assistant DA last year and he told me they already had 30 guys playing in a sort of scholly thing with the grant in need, so basicallly it's not going to be any different than it's been, the only thing different is kids wanting to play in a so called D1 Conf.That will be the draw.

30 Full Scholarships is quite different than 30 guys playing with grant in aids.

Dane96
March 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I spoke with the Assistant DA last year and he told me they already had 30 guys playing in a sort of scholly thing with the grant in need, so basicallly it's not going to be any different than it's been, the only thing different is kids wanting to play in a so called D1 Conf.That will be the draw.

Like FootballMAN65 said: That is VERY WRONG!

Albany had 23 GRANT-IN Aids up until last year. We are MARKEDLY better since the conversion to scholarships.

It is a much DIFFERENT athlete you get with a scholarship. We are getting guys WE (or Bryant) could rarely touch with Grants.

The only schools that REALLY do well across the board with grants are PL's and IVY's.

Seawolf97
March 6th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Last year Bryant could not stop the brooks offense, and could not move the ball against there D.That was there first taste, this year they play 9 fcs teams.

The best comparison is with our past games against Hofstra. Over the last 10 years there have been nothing but blowouts. In 2006 with a handful of scholarship players we stayed right with them losing by I think 9 points. Last year we went toe to toe and nearly beat them on their field losing 33-28. Actually we had the ball on the 50 with with 1:20 to go. We didnt execute well under pressure and lost. This year we are at 50 + scholarships so maybe this year we get them on our field.
Bryant will win their share of games once they pick up those scholarship level players.

laythehammer60
March 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Here's one, what about Dayton this past year, no scholarships...

dgreco
March 9th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I do not want to get into smack, but bdfan how are you a true bryant fan?

You would not bash a team you are fan of. Not being a student the move does nothing for you, but for students it brings the student body together. It makes the Alumni happy, and it also allows the school more exposure.

They may not compete for NC right away, 5 years, or even 10 years... While those CAA fans say its not about conference championships, but about NC's well to some it is about seeing a decent team and seeing a team play rivalries and having good games and battles.

Sorry to bring this offtopic to bryant, but bdfan does nothing but bash Bryant....

danefan
March 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Here's one, what about Dayton this past year, no athletic scholarships...

;)

But in all seriousness, I'm not making excuses. Dayton beat us. They would have beaten at least 3 or 4 playoff teams too. That has really nothing to do with his comparison to DII teams.

DetroitFlyer
March 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Like FootballMAN65 said: That is VERY WRONG!

Albany had 23 GRANT-IN Aids up until last year. We are MARKEDLY better since the conversion to scholarships.

It is a much DIFFERENT athlete you get with a scholarship. We are getting guys WE (or Bryant) could rarely touch with Grants.

The only schools that REALLY do well across the board with grants are PL's and IVY's.

And what exactly was the score of that Gridiron Classsic game in 2007? How many athletic scholarships did the winner of the Gridiron Classic in 2006 and 2007 have on their rosters? You know, I even heard a rumor that the team that won the Gridiron Classic in 2007 defeated the Patriot League champion in 2007 on the PL Champ's home field and the team that won the 2006 Gridiron Classic defeated the Ivy League Co-Champion on the Ivy League Co-Champion's home field.... Yep, no way to possibly be competitive without athletic scholarships unless you are in the PL or Ivy League.... LOL!!!!!

danefan
March 10th, 2008, 10:54 AM
And what exactly was the score of that Gridiron Classsic game in 2007? How many athletic scholarships did the winner of the Gridiron Classic in 2006 and 2007 have on their rosters? You know, I even heard a rumor that the team that won the Gridiron Classic in 2007 defeated the Patriot League champion in 2007 on the PL Champ's home field and the team that won the 2006 Gridiron Classic defeated the Ivy League Co-Champion on the Ivy League Co-Champion's home field.... Yep, no way to possibly be competitive without athletic scholarships unless you are in the PL or Ivy League.... LOL!!!!!

Simmer down now DF.

Go back and re-read his comments. You cannot argue that across the board the only conferences that do well without scholarships is the PL and Ivy. A few schools in the PFL have done well (Dayton, USD as you point out) and a few schools in the NEC did well while grant-in-aid, but across the board neither the PFL nor the NEC has had the successes that the Ivy and PL have.

Dane96
March 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Are you a broken record? Danefan knew what I meant...and posted it simply. In fact, I would say 99% of the fans of this board knew what I meant.

You, however, have a hard-on for everyone dissing Dayton...or so you think are dissing Dayton.

GIVE IT A REST.

Ruler
March 10th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Dayton blows....just kidding. San Diego blows. SD I was joking. Now that your NFL QB is gone how do you think you will fare? Will there be any drop off in Dayton now that Kelly is gone? (sorry UA posters needed to hijack the thread to keep the Dayton fans happy)

DetroitFlyer
March 10th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Simmer down now DF.

Go back and re-read his comments. You cannot argue that across the board the only conferences that do well without scholarships is the PL and Ivy. A few schools in the PFL have done well (Dayton, USD as you point out) and a few schools in the NEC did well while grant-in-aid, but across the board neither the PFL nor the NEC has had the successes that the Ivy and PL have.

Agreed to date. Going forward, I think the gap is closing. The "new" H/P/Y aid system might make it interesting however.... Might be hard to pass up a completely free Ivy education for a 255 to 50% scholarship to a PFL school. Time will tell, it is still a far way for a kid to move to go Ivy versus PFL close to home....

Dane96
March 10th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Are you serious?

If a kid is offered a totally free ride to an IVY compared to that of a PFL package, barring some other outstanding circumstances, he is going IVY.

It is a no-brainer.

NorCalJack
March 10th, 2008, 04:11 PM
That looks like a great schedule. Congratulations.

yorkcountyUNHfan
March 10th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Albany live.

danefan
March 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM
BTW, no clarity yet on the scheduling snafoo (sp?) with Fordham. We still list our 9/6 game home vs. Fordham with Rhode Island listing itself playing at Fordham on 9/6.

Ruler
March 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
In response to York County UNH fan: They will be a typical UA team VERY big upfront on both sides of the ball and will run the ball alot. The O is basically in tact from last year but the D will be filling some BIG voids left by 4 outstanding players.

On D UA' is tough against the run and our secondary is not very good against the pass (see Dayton game in the GIC). The passing game is a work in progrerss coming along slowly. Due to the loss of an all world DT and LB I am not sure how they will hold up against Delaware or UMASS but they should hold up well against the rest.

They are well coached and will be ready to play.

WrenFGun
March 11th, 2008, 09:58 AM
If Albany runs the ball well, the game @UNH will be close. UNH has lost to NU twice in two years because they could not stop the run (and the same reason they've lost to UMass three times in a row). You may be in trouble if you can't stop the pass, though, because UNH is pass-happy.

Looking forward to seeing how the AEast brethren are coming along.