PDA

View Full Version : Harvard Newspaper: Level The Playing field

Lehigh Football Nation
March 4th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Excellent op-ed piece in The Crimson:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=the-crimson-level-the-playing-field&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Orleans was particularly well-known for placing an utmost priority on cultivating the “student” in student-athletes. He staunchly supported a restriction upon Ivy League football teams that prevents them from competing in post-season playoffs. For Orleans, the Ivy League represents a special case among collegiate conferences in which the rigor of academics makes an extended season too costly for the learning environment. While this is a laudable stance to take in the name of preserving the strength of academics, in practice it is blatantly unfair.

The inconsistency in the fact that 40 Harvard sports teams are eligible for post-season play and only one is not speaks for itself.

xthumbsupx xbowx xthumbsupx xbowx xthumbsupx xbowx xthumbsupx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Ivytalk
March 4th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Ivytalk to President Faust: If you support an Ivy commissioner that ends the FB playoff idiocy, I'll end my two-year boycott of giving to Harvard. Deal?xrulesx

blur2005
March 4th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Great op-ed. It would be fantastic to have the Ivies (and the SWAC, for that matter) participating in the playoffs.

MplsBison
March 4th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I look at articles like this one and chuckle to myself at the thought of the Ivy Presidents reading them over a shrimp/steak lunch, sort've like those Capital One commercials with the old rich banker who "only deals with big business".

nwFL Griz
March 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I agree with blurr, it is time for the Ivies and the SWAC to be in the playoffs.

Of course didn't the SWAC used to be in it? It's been awhile but I remember my first Grizzly playoff game, and I swear it was against Jackson St....Grady Bennett was the Griz qb. Anyone help me with this one?

TheValleyRaider
March 4th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Of course didn't the SWAC used to be in it? It's been awhile but I remember my first Grizzly playoff game, and I swear it was against Jackson St....Grady Bennett was the Griz qb. Anyone help me with this one?

I don't know about games vs. the Griz, but yes, the SWAC did use to be in the playoffs. Their record was, well, not very good (winless in fact). For a variety of reasons, most of which having to do with the good deal of $$$ to be made in the Bayou Classic and SWAC Championship Game, they decided not to have both their division champs and Grambling/Southern/Alabama State reject any potential playoff bid. The rest of the conference is certainly free to accept any bid that comes their way, and it very well could have happened this past season (Prairie View?)

jstate83
March 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I agree with blurr, it is time for the Ivies and the SWAC to be in the playoffs.

Don't remind me dang-it.
That day started off well with a 60 yard TD pass to Jimmy Smith on 2nd play of the game. xnodx

Then the snow came and #1 in the poll's woke up. xlolx
1989—@Montana 48, Jackson St. 7 (1st Round)xbawlingx

That was 1 of 3 true arse whipping we took in the playoff's.xnodx

The rest was a play of a bounce away from a win.
One game I can truely say was taken/stolen/cheated from us and that place shall remain nameless they way that took place. xsmhx

nwFL Griz
March 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Don't remind me dang-it.
That day started off well with a 60 yard TD pass for us.

Then the snow came and ya'll woke up. xlolx

I don't remember much of the game, but I remember the atmosphere was awesome. I believe the Griz won big, but seems like everyone (visitors included) had a great time.

aust42
March 4th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I would love to see the IVY's open up and lift the playoff ban. That would be a great thing for the IVY's. They'd have to go from a 10 game to a 11 game regular season and hopefully schedule some decent OOC games besides the Patriot League. I would think that could raise the attendance in some of those big a$$ stadiums with new OOC blood coming in town and playoff possibilities.

Seawolf97
March 4th, 2008, 08:53 PM
The Ivies Im sure would do well in the playoff picture. I did notice some of them are expanding their non conference schedules which is great.

GreatAppSt
March 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Getting the Ivies into the playoff picture would be a huge coup for FCS.xnodx

Syntax Error
March 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM
1997 Jackson State was the last SWAC team in the D-I playoffs so far.

bonarae
March 5th, 2008, 05:06 AM
As always I have had in my opinion, getting the Ivies to participate in the FCS Playoffs would be a dream come true for all of us (including Ivy League fans at heart). But first:

1) Allow FBS teams (as well as FCS teams down South and West) to schedule us, to find out how well we stack up against the others;
2) Have the alumni and the presidents' voices heard about us (the fans) wanting to get our schools into the playoffs. (generations of Ivy football fans who come and go have died wanting this! xnodx)
3) Your opinion here. I'll leave it up to you to expand this area.