PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Leaf: "I'd like to go back home and coach at either Montana or Montana State"

douglasdmb
March 2nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Just saw a "Where are they now?" feature on ESPN this morning on Ryan Leaf. He basically said that he would eventually like to go home to Montana and coach at Montana St. or Montana. Also said he has zero interest in coaching at the NFL level. He's currently the QB coach at Div-II West Texas A&M.

Would Griz and/or Cat fans like to have him on staff?

AZGrizFan
March 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
Are you serious? Dude's a pariah in the Last Great Place. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

CatFan22
March 2nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
I am going to say no right now.

nwFL Griz
March 2nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
I know how he left the state left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, but I believe in second chances. I think that he has matured a great deal, and I would hope my fellow Montanans would give him a second chance. (Though I don't live there anymore, Montana will always be home)

After all, when he left, he was just a kid....all kids make mistakes.

blur2005
March 2nd, 2008, 11:44 AM
I don't recall why there's antipathy towards Leaf in Montana.

Unrelated, but I had 2400 something posts yesterday. What happened?

AZGrizFan
March 2nd, 2008, 12:29 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xcoffeex

GOKATS
March 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Not just no, but hell no!!!! We don't want him.

CopperCat
March 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Ryan Leaf is a jackass, period. He made a fool out of himself in the NFL by throwing his tantrums, and he gave Montana a bad name. STAY OUT OF MONTANA!!!! Take your jerk of a little brother with you too!!!

spelunker64
March 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
I still get a full body shiver when I see that name...

Rob Iola
March 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
I for one would be thrilled to see him coaching daGriz or daKittyKats!

And yes, OT, I seem to be shorted a few posts...

OB55
March 2nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Just saw a "Where are they now?" feature on ESPN this morning on Ryan Leaf. He basically said that he would eventually like to go home to Montana and coach at Montana St. or Montana. Also said he has zero interest in coaching at the NFL level. He's currently the QB coach at Div-II West Texas A&M.

Think his football coaching position is voluntary. They are paying him to be their golf coach. xlolxxlolx

His life insurance might be void if he were to move to Montana. xrotatehx

PantherRob82
March 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
I saw this same interview 6 months ago or so.

CopperCat
March 2nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
I for one would be thrilled to see him coaching daGriz or daKittyKats!

Tell ya what, we'll let the south keep him. Nobody will notice his stink there.

Hansel
March 2nd, 2008, 06:57 PM
anyone have an exact quote where he was "dissin' " montana?

AZGrizFan
March 2nd, 2008, 06:58 PM
anyone have an exact quote where he was "dissin' " montana?

I don't, but I believe it's been beaten to death on egriz.com. xcoolx xcoolx

Appaholic
March 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Just saw a "Where are they now?" feature on ESPN this morning on Ryan Leaf.

Does he have a law degree? Criminal Justice?......xwhistlex

ncbears
March 2nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
I don't, but I believe it's been beaten to death on egriz.com. xcoolx xcoolx

They do that over there?? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

SirApp
March 3rd, 2008, 12:13 AM

Unrelated to your unrelated, but noticed your location and had to ask a question...

Enjoying Fallas?

uofmman1122
March 3rd, 2008, 02:41 AM
They do that over there?? xeyebrowx xeyebrowxThey find time to fit it in between bashing what Bobby Hauck ate for breakfast and whose e-pen0r can predict how poorly the Griz do because we don't win the NC every year.

blur2005
March 3rd, 2008, 03:53 AM
Unrelated to your unrelated, but noticed your location and had to ask a question...

Enjoying Fallas?
Fallas just began. I anticipate enjoying it quite a bit - I had my first street vendor churro on Saturday and it was great. Things won't get too rowdy until March 15-19.

On the topic at hand, as I asked earlier, what exactly did Leaf do to earn such antipathy from the state? He was a great college quarterback at WashState and a screw-up in the NFL but I don't get how that has made him persona non grata in Montana.

mlbowl
March 3rd, 2008, 07:02 AM
In the words of Confederate Railroad..."When you leave that way you can never go back"

stevdock
March 3rd, 2008, 07:11 AM
What way did he leave? I haven't heard any reason yet why he shouldn't be able to come back.

nwFL Griz
March 3rd, 2008, 07:20 AM
I gotta say, after being away for a few years, it strikes me that as immature as he was while leaving, it is similarly immature to hold a grudge the way a lot of Montanans are.

mlbowl
March 3rd, 2008, 07:33 AM
What way did he leave? I haven't heard any reason yet why he shouldn't be able to come back.

He's not from Montana...He's from Washington....and he's way better than the hicks in the sticks.

OB55
March 3rd, 2008, 07:42 AM
Fallas just began. I anticipate enjoying it quite a bit - I had my first street vendor churro on Saturday and it was great. Things won't get too rowdy until March 15-19.

On the topic at hand, as I asked earlier, what exactly did Leaf do to earn such antipathy from the state? He was a great college quarterback at WashState and a screw-up in the NFL but I don't get how that has made him persona non grata in Montana.

During his flash of fame, draft time and the debate was over who would be #1 pick Payton Manning or Leaf, he was asked about his high school days in Great Falls and he responded very condescendingly with regards to his native state. He was a nobody in Montana after that, and with his bomb out in the NFL, the joy and delight in the Big Sky State could be plainly heard down here in Wyoming. He was an incredibly immature albeit large kid coming out of college.

Folks at Canyon, Texas where he coaches golf and quarter backs seem to love him. I think he simply.. grew up.

nwFL Griz
March 3rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
During his flash of fame, draft time and the debate was over who would be #1 pick Payton Manning or Leaf, he was asked about his high school days in Great Falls and he responded very condescendingly with regards to his native state. He was a nobody in Montana after that, and with his bomb out in the NFL, the joy and delight in the Big Sky State could be plainly heard down here in Wyoming. He was an incredibly immature albeit large kid coming out of college.

Folks at Canyon, Texas where he coaches golf and quarter backs seem to love him. I think he simply.. grew up.

My point exactly...he grew up. Kids do, and say, stupid things sometimes, and to continue to hold this grudge, what 10 years later.....come on folks.

And to mlbowl...he is from Montana.

Franks Tanks
March 3rd, 2008, 07:56 AM
My point exactly...he grew up. Kids do, and say, stupid things sometimes, and to continue to hold this grudge, what 10 years later.....come on folks.

Exactly, he was what 21 when he came out of WAZZU and made those comments. He obviously didnt have his head on straight at the time, but had matured into a man (finally) and a pretty good coach from what I understand. Another plus is that he actually wants to go to Montana and never leave, how many can say that?

blur2005
March 3rd, 2008, 08:07 AM

Alright, I guess that's a pretty good reason. I was pretty sure I'd seen it mentioned before in a discussion of Leaf on here a year or so ago but couldn't recall exactly what he did.

OB55
March 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Seems like he might have taken a verbal pot shot at fellow Great Falls native Dave Dickensen as well, a huge no-no in that state.

That may be unforgivable, if it did happen the way I remember. xlolx

mlbowl
March 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM

Uhhhhh....I KNOW THIS...That's MY point. He disowned Montana SEVERAL times.

SirApp
March 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM

The mescletas are always fun. Once the night fireworks begin, I suggest goin down to Carmen del Barrio, fun times to be had there.

The churros are great, but I suggest getting a buñuelo (I believe that is how it is spelled.) Those things are awesome and only available during Fallas.

trouthunter
March 3rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
Heck no let him go to his "home" Washington State. I am referring to his days at "WAZZU" he said that he never considered Montana home, and pretty much hated his time at CMR.

I went to high school with the prick, and I have NEVER met anyone who was so arrogant, self absorbed, and condescending.

Maybe being listed as the #1 biggest draft bust--ever might have humbled and matured him but the damage to his reputation has been done.

CopperCat
March 3rd, 2008, 12:19 PM

That is the PROBLEM with him. He talked **** about MT awhile ago, and now we don't want him to be associated with Montana at all. In fact, that entire family shouldn't allowed within the borders of Montana.

grizband
March 3rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
That is the PROBLEM with him. He talked **** about MT awhile ago, and now we don't want him to be associated with Montana at all. In fact, that entire family shouldn't allowed within the borders of Montana.
While I was as upset about his transgressions and disrespect of Montana as anyone, I do understand he was a punk kid, and said those things almost 10 years ago. As someone said earlier, the folks at West Texas seem to be happy, so maybe Leaf truly has grown up.

nwFL Griz
March 3rd, 2008, 12:43 PM

Look, Brady may be a dick too, but his mom is a very nice lady. My dad went to school with her, and I met her a few times when we played hoops against Russell.

NZNCRZY
March 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
While I was as upset about his transgressions and disrespect of Montana as anyone, I do understand he was a punk kid, and said those things almost 10 years ago. As someone said earlier, the folks at West Texas seem to be happy, so maybe Leaf truly has grown up.

I agree he may have grown up and is a different person now. However, I am afraid he burned his bridges long ago. I don’t see him being giving the opportunity to coach in Montana. I haven’t met anyone who cares for him after what he said about Montana, and I know colleges want someone who can represent their school well.

grizband
March 3rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
I agree he may have grown up and is a different person now. However, I am afraid he burned his bridges long ago. I don’t see him being giving the opportunity to coach in Montana. I haven’t met anyone who cares for him after what he said about Montana, and I know colleges want someone who can represent their school well.
It is really that so many in Montana are unwilling to forgive, although I can't say I blame any of them.

GrizFoo
March 5th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Word is Ryan is the only clown in the family. Brother supposedly quality and humble, and I also hear Mom is really great.

Leaf did not know how to talk to the media. There was more than one incident of Leaf and his big fish / small pond (Montana) way of acting. Plus, wether commonly know or not, he talked some trash about Montana King Dave Dickenson. Dickey didn't care one bit, as he always have his head on straight. If Dickey had Leaf's body/physical ability he's not only be king of Montana but the World...lol..but in my imagination still true.

Still, sources tell me Ryan has changed his act and doesn't come across as a clown, but who knows if it is just an act or if he has mature. I'd bet he's come around some at least and probably more. But even if he has, I don't think he'll be coaching at either MT school any time soon.

GOKATS
March 6th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Word is Ryan is the only clown in the family. Brother supposedly quality and humble, and I also hear Mom is really great.

Leaf did not know how to talk to the media. There was more than one incident of Leaf and his big fish / small pond (Montana) way of acting. Plus, wether commonly know or not, he talked some trash about Montana King Dave Dickenson. Dickey didn't care one bit, as he always have his head on straight. If Dickey had Leaf's body/physical ability he's not only be king of Montana but the World...lol..but in my imagination still true.

Still, sources tell me Ryan has changed his act and doesn't come across as a clown, but who knows if it is just an act or if he has mature. I'd bet he's come around some at least and probably more. But even if he has, I don't think he'll be coaching at either MT school any time soon.

Latest rumor I heard is that Leaf will take over the HC job at UM as soon as Hauck is hired as the HC at USC.:D

Grizaholic17
March 6th, 2008, 12:19 AM

ummm...ryan leaf had a temper problem and pretty much denied that he was from montana. He said once that he was raised in San Diego...when really he wasn't. I would hate to have him at the griz or bobcats because a true montanan doesn't diss his state and deny his past.

SeattleGriz
March 6th, 2008, 12:26 AM

Unlike Montana, he hasn't taken a Texas BIG crap on them now has he?

SeattleGriz
March 6th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Seems like he might have taken a verbal pot shot at fellow Great Falls native Dave Dickensen as well, a huge no-no in that state.

That may be unforgivable, if it did happen the way I remember. xlolx

The thing that killed me about Leaf's whole deal, was he pretty much said he didn't learn anything in high school, and thus, slammed the one man who most likely, has sent more Montana boys onto the collegiate level to play ball - Jack Johnson

grizband
March 6th, 2008, 12:45 AM
The thing that killed me about Leaf's whole deal, was he pretty much said he didn't learn anything in high school, and thus, slammed the one man who most likely, has sent more Montana boys onto the collegiate level to play ball - Jack Johnson
And who has amassed almost 300 career victories at the same school.

Marcus Garvey
March 6th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Ryan Leaf is a jackass, period. He made a fool out of himself in the NFL by throwing his tantrums, and he gave Montana a bad name. STAY OUT OF MONTANA!!!! Take your jerk of a little brother with you too!!!

"Is" a jackass or "was" a jackass?

I've seen, read and heard nothing to convince me that is is still a jackass. No denying he was one "back in the day." A guy like him may turn out to be an excellent coach. If you want your petty grudges to deny him a shot at coaching in the state of Montana, that's your foolish call. Somebody else will take him.

In my experience, a person who has gone through the things Leaf has, in any career/industry, and finally turned his attitude around, tends to be one of the best employees you can ever have.

AZGrizFan
March 6th, 2008, 10:41 AM

I've seen, read and heard nothing to convince me that is is still a jackass. No denying he was one "back in the day." A guy like him may turn out to be an excellent coach. If you want your petty grudges to deny him a shot at coaching in the state of Montana, that's your foolish call. Somebody else will take him.

In my experience, a person who has gone through the things Leaf has, in any career/industry, and finally turned his attitude around, tends to be one of the best employees you can ever have.

Good. Maybe he can replace Stoops next year @ U of A. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

nwFL Griz
March 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Exactly, this is one Montanan who is willing to forgive, as his immaturity back then was apparent in nearly every word he spoke.

Marcus Garvey
March 6th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Good. Maybe he can replace Stoops next year @ U of A. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

He's done. Even Greg Hansen at the Star doesn't see him surviving the season.