PDA

View Full Version : Five UCA FB Players Suspended

TexasTerror
February 29th, 2008, 10:41 PM
None major according to our friends at UCAFans...

Five Central Arkansas football players were suspended indefinitely on the first day of spring practice Friday "for violating team rules," athletic director Brad Teague announced.

Coach Clint Conque suspended running back Curtis Marks, defensive backs Henry Minor and Carlos Smith, and defensive lineman Norvel Gabriel, all freshmen last year, and also sophomore defensive back Phillip Johnson.

http://ap.thecabin.net/pstories/state/ar/20080229/252462544.shtml

UCAMonkey
March 1st, 2008, 02:25 AM
Haven't heard any rumors yet on what rules were broken. xnonox

Purple Pride
March 1st, 2008, 08:26 AM
Credit card thieves.xthumbsdownx

UCAMonkey
March 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Credit card thieves.xthumbsdownx

This sucks and pisses me off! xmadx

Five UCA players suspended by coach

BY NICK WALKER ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

CONWAY — It certainly wasn’t the kind of announcement Central Arkansas Coach Clint Conque wanted to make on the opening day of spring practice.
Conque indefinitely suspended five players from the Central Arkansas football program Friday after one was arrested and four others cited by university police investigating the use of a stolen credit card at a Shell gas station on Farris Road.
Freshman running back Curtis Marks was arrested on one count of fraudulent use of a credit card and a felony theft of property count.
As part of the investigation, four others — freshman defensive back Henry Minor, freshman defensive back Carlos Smith, sophomore defensive back Phillip Johnson and freshman defensive lineman Norvel Gabriel — voluntarily came in for questioning. Each was charged with one count of theft by receiving.
“Obviously, it puts a negative spin on an otherwise positive day,” Conque said at the Bears’ first spring practice. “As of now, all five players have been suspended indefinitely. I will re-evaluate the situation after the due process of the legal system.”
According to a police report, a clerk at the Shell station alerted authorities to a “suspicious person putting gas in multiple cars.”
In his report, arresting officer Kevin Ford said that when he arrived at the scene the clerk identified Marks as the person paying for the gas with the card. The report stated that Marks said he used his own card to make the purchases, but later gave Ford three cards that he said he had permission to use.
Ford said he contacted the UCA student whose name was on the cards and the student said his wallet had been stolen while he worked out at Estes Stadium on campus.
The investigating officer, Lt. Preston Grumbles of the Central Arkansas Police Department, said he was unable to comment on the incident because the investigation is ongoing.
Conque said practices would continue as normal.
“We’re moving forward with the young men that are here,” Conque said. “It’s a shame that this puts a damper on the young men that worked hard and had a very productive off-season, but we have to move forward.”

BEAR
March 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM
Man, when you can't even trust your own teammates...xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx We were so lacking on defense last year..this is a blow, this is gonna hurt. But I'd rather have half a defense with players with good moral character than a full defense with those thugs (if they did exactly what was reported above.) I am glad that Coach Conque and AD Brad Teague are handling this in this way. Shows the other players that being a Bear means more than what you do with a football. xthumbsupx xbowx xthumbsupx

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 1st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Ok.....I don't post much.....but do any of yall notice a slight problem wih the suspensions????

IF I understood the article correctly....the other four players were suspended because they accepted gifts that were bought with a stolen card????

The only way these four should have been suspended is if they KNEW the gifts were bought with the stolen card....

Am I missing something here....am I reading this wrong....

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 1st, 2008, 04:20 PM
Ignore that last post.....Found the mistakes they made....

xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

McNeese75
March 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
xsmhx I hate to see this. Hopefully things will get resolved and these kids will get their heads on straight (with a little extra work I am sure)

UCAMonkey
March 2nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
xsmhx I hate to see this. Hopefully things will get resolved and these kids will get their heads on straight (with a little extra work I am sure)

Stealing from another teammate is pretty divisive. They may end up getting rid of one or all of these guys. I am not sure what the university's rules are regarding stealing. xnonox xrulesx