PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina signs 2 D-lineman....

CatamountWCU
February 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Western Carolina and first-year head coach Dennis Wagner today announced the addition of a pair of defensive linemen to its 2008 signing class. Justin Collins (Fort Worth, Tex. / Kilgore College) and Jerry Saxon (Williamston, S.C. / Palmetto HS) have signed National Letters of Intent to play for the Catamounts next fall.

The most recent pair of defensive linemen brings the total number in his first signing class to 21.

Also, in conjunction with Western Carolina University's most recent Open House, Wagner indicated that the program had approximately 60 prospective student-athletes on-campus last weekend interested in walking onto the team in the fall.

Justin Collins
6-2, 266 lbs., DL - Fort Worth, Texas (Kilgore JC / Brewer HS)
Prior to Western: Originally signed with the University of Iowa out of high school ... Took a red-shirt his first season ... Was listed on the Hawkeyes' second team as a defensive tackle following spring Iowa's practice ... Transferred to Kilgore Junior College ... Suffered a deep thigh contusion the first half of the season ... Returned to action in the second half of the year, finishing with 60 tackles, eight sacks and 15 QB hurries.
High School: Earned first team all-state as a defensive tackle as a senior after garnering second team accolades during his junior season ... Recorded 102 career tackles - including 60 his senior year along - and 16 quarterback sacks as a prep ... Won three letters in football and power lifting while also receiving two in track & field ... Ranked first in the state of Texas in the 242-lbs. power lifting division.
Personal: Is the son of Julius and Laura Collins.

Jerry Saxon
6-3, 252-lbs., DL - Williamston, S.C. (Palmetto HS)
High School: Was a three-time All-Region selection ... In three seasons, accumulated 172 total tackles, including 109 solo stops, and 16 career sacks ... Recorded one career interception, returning it for a touchdown his sophomore season ... Also caught 36 career passes as a tight end for 582 yards and five career touchdowns, including two as a senior ... Also played boy's basketball, earning all-conference accolades.
Personal: Is the son of Jerry Saxon and Amanda Henry ... Has two siblings, Andrew and Jessie.

Great job Coach Wagner sounds like collins is big time! xthumbsupx

WCU LawCat
February 28th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Justin Collins looks like a monster on paper. 1st team all state in TEXAS. Signed with Iowa 2 years ago

CRITTER
February 28th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Justin Collins looks like a monster on paper. 1st team all state in TEXAS. Signed with Iowa 2 years ago

Coach Wagner has accomplished a bunch in two months. Can't wait for the season to begin.

AshevilleApp2
February 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Congratulations Cats. Looks like your on the way back.

whoanellie
February 28th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Congratulations Cats. Looks like your on the way back.

back from where? i see few changes just a new coach trying the JC quick fix approach. Cat's just need to play smarter and that has to be proven.

The Cats
February 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM
back from where? i see few changes just a new coach trying the JC quick fix approach. Cat's just need to play smarter and that has to be proven.

Well, whoanellie, I count 5 JC transfers out of 21 signed. I'd hardly say that is a JC quick fix approach, given the fact that Coach Wagner had 30 day on the gound prior to national signing day. I'd say it's pretty good.

And as far a the Cats playing a little smarter, you and your Elon buddies better hope they don't, since the Phoenix barely got by the Cats 38-36 this past season. xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Name Pos. Ht Wt Hometown (Previous School)
Ibn Ali CB 5-10 170 lbs. Salisbury, N.C. (Salisbury HS)
Anthony Amos WR 6-0 180 lbs. Fayetteville, N.C. (Westover HS)
Blake Cain Punter 6-0 190 lbs. Kennesaw, Ga. (Harrison HS)
Justin Collins DL 6-2 266 lbs. Fort Worth, Tex. (Kilgore JC / Brewer HS)
Levon Curtis WR/RB 5-8 180 lbs. Elon, N.C. (Western Alamance HS)
Jarmarcus Douglas DB 5-9 175 lbs. Laurinburg, N.C. (Scotland County HS)
Josh Gossett LB 6-0 195 lbs. Fletcher, N.C. (T.C. Roberson)
Brandon Hribar OL 6-7 280 lbs. San Diego, Calif. (Palomar CC / La Costa Canyon HS)
Torez Jones DB 6-1 175 lbs. Wilson, N.C. (James Hunt HS)
Ryan Kurzec OL 6-2 245 lbs. Jamestown, N.C. (Ragsdale HS)
Adrian McLeod LB 6-1 215 lbs. Oxon Hill, Md. (West Hills CC / Potomac HS)
Breyan McQueen S 6-0 195 lbs. Garner, N.C. (Palomar CC / Camden Mil. Acad.)
Nathan Postelle OL 6-3 250 lbs. Tunnel Hill, Ga. (Northwest Whitfield HS)
Immanuel Rich WR 6-2 185 lbs. Raleigh, N.C. (East Wake HS)
Eric Robinson LB 5-11 200 lbs. Canton, Ga. (Sequoyah HS)
Jerry Saxon DL 6-3 252 lbs. Williamston, S.C. (Palmetto HS)
Ricky Schwarz LB 6-1 200 lbs. Ormond Beach, Fla. (Seabreeze HS)
Andrerius Thomas WR 6-3 180 lbs. Stone Mountain, Ga. (Redan HS)
Randy Triplett QB 6-1 185 lbs. Youngstown, Ohio (Youngstown Christian)
Brandon Vaught S 6-3 185 lbs. Cleveland, Ga., (White County HS)
Evan Williams RB 5-11 220 lbs. Vacaville, Calif. (Santa Rosa CC / Vacaville HS)

catamount man
February 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM

Thank the DL you got for batting down a game tying 2 point conversion in the 4th quarter or you may have been our only SoCon win.

WOW! It's sad when Elon starts talking smack to you. You can thank Briggs for the last 2 seasons but that's over.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

SoCon48
February 28th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Just sack that cocky young QB's aazz a few times and they'll shut up. he came over and taunted ASU's injured 2nd string QB after a score. What a jerk.

catamount man
February 28th, 2008, 06:24 PM

Looks like you had the right thing going with your avatar bro. Wagner has bid goodbye to the helmet logo that Briggs sported.

"THE CATS" in all of it's various forms were pretty cool, but it was a Bob Waters invention and, IMO, it's time to move on. I hope someday we will be talking about Dennis Wagner the way we still talk of Coach Waters.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

CatamountWCU
February 28th, 2008, 07:21 PM
So what does the new helmet decals look like??

catamount man
February 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM
So what does the new helmet decals look like??

Don't know yet.

WCU LawCat
February 28th, 2008, 09:29 PM

Just so you are aware, Coach Wagner was a JC transfer himself and went on to Utah. I would guess he has no problem with the right kind of transfer.

Just pray Riddle does not get hurt...or go into the dreaded sophmore slump.

SoCon48
February 28th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Just so you are aware, Coach Wagner was a JC transfer himself and went on to Utah. I would guess he has no problem with the right kind of transfer.

Don't pay any attention to the "back from where" comment. The FeeNicks were still playing NAIA ball when the Cats were in their heyday under Bob Waters, playing in the championship game and putting guys in the NFL. How little do they know.

SoCon48
February 28th, 2008, 09:37 PM

BTW, nort making fun of your new coach, but he looks a bit like Odd Job in the old James Bond movies.

gophoenix
February 29th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Just sack that cocky young QB's aazz a few times and they'll shut up. he came over and taunted ASU's injured 2nd string QB after a score. What a jerk.

LOL. Completely false statement made up by a delusional and obsessed App fan when it comes to Elon! Riddle made a good play, ran for a first down. Was tackled and pounded his chest. Hardly taunting. Riddle did none of this after any touchdowns. The team runs towards THEIR sidelines after a TD. The opposing QB is not on the field the same time as the other QB. After a score, the QB is sidelined in the team lines at the 25/30 yard line. And ASU's single string QB was never injured in this game.

Are you this desperate now that you have to make stuff up?

SoCon48
February 29th, 2008, 10:26 AM
LOL. Completely false statement made up by a delusional and obsessed App fan when it comes to Elon! Riddle made a good play, ran for a first down. Was tackled and pounded his chest. Hardly taunting. Riddle did none of this after any touchdowns. The team runs towards THEIR sidelines after a TD. The opposing QB is not on the field the same time as the other QB. After a score, the QB is sidelined in the team lines at the 25/30 yard line. And ASU's single string QB was never injured in this game.

Are you this desperate now that you have to make stuff up?

Damn you can't read.
Anyway, Riddle came over to the App sideline and pounded at his chest while Elder was sitting on the bench being attended to by the trainers. i was sitting on the second row and saw it. Trey was injured. He was the second string QB.
Get over it anyway, you guys freakin lost and will again this fall. And you just may lose to WCU this time, too.

gophoenix
February 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Damn you can't read.
Anyway, Riddle came over to the App sideline and pounded at his chest while Elder was sitting on the bench being attended to by the trainers. i was sitting on the second row and saw it. Trey was injured. He was the second string QB.
Get over it anyway, you guys freakin lost and will again this fall. And you just may lose to WCU this time, too.

xlolx xlolx xlolx
Get over it? You brought it up!!! You brought up an Elon moment, that happened in an App game in a Western Carolina discussion. xlolx xlolx xlolx

1) Trey wasn't injured
2) Riddle didn't run over and do this after a touchdown like you said. It was after a first down and he was tackled out of bounds on the App sideline.
3) This happened barely into the sidelines (not in a player's face). It was in the middle of App players standing on the sideline during a big Elon drive. But goodness knows players do plenty of things in the heat of the moment.
4) I was sitting behind the App bench and saw all of it.

Just stop making stuff up because you are obsessed with posting about Elon.

And yes we lost! xthumbsupx Glad you could point that out because none of us realized it! You didn't have to post about Elon, but you did. My suggestion to you, stop posting about Elon. But my guess is, you're so obsessed that it will, no doubt, continue. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Touchdown Yosef
February 29th, 2008, 12:37 PM

That is a very interesting piece of information. If he does get the right guys I am sure you ill be back on your feet in no time. Good luck WCU.

SoCon48
February 29th, 2008, 01:01 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx
Get over it? You brought it up!!! You brought up an Elon moment, that happened in an App game in a Western Carolina discussion. xlolx xlolx xlolx

1) Trey wasn't injured
2) Riddle didn't run over and do this after a touchdown like you said. It was after a first down and he was tackled out of bounds on the App sideline.
3) This happened barely into the sidelines (not in a player's face). It was in the middle of App players standing on the sideline during a big Elon drive. But goodness knows players do plenty of things in the heat of the moment.
4) I was sitting behind the App bench and saw all of it.

Just stop making stuff up because you are obsessed with posting about Elon.

And yes we lost! xthumbsupx Glad you could point that out because none of us realized it! You didn't have to post about Elon, but you did. My suggestion to you, stop posting about Elon. But my guess is, you're so obsessed that it will, no doubt, continue. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You were wrong about everything except you're right it was a first down not a TD.
And yes Trey was injured as the trainers were working on him. I was right in front also.
And it was directed at Trey.

And I'll post about Elon all I want just like you'll post App as crApp all you like.

AshevilleApp2
February 29th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I thought this was a thread about Western.xconfusedx

gophoenix
February 29th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I thought this was a thread about Western.xconfusedx

It is, and their recruiting class sounds pretty darn good to me. Anotehr good program in the SoCon means that the conference is going t obe that much more fun to watch!!

AshevilleApp2
February 29th, 2008, 01:19 PM
It is, and their recruiting class sounds pretty darn good to me. Anotehr good program in the SoCon means that the conference is going t obe that much more fun to watch!!

The more the merrier, as long as we keep the jug. Then I might reconsider.

WCU LawCat
February 29th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I believe that there are several impact players in this recent class. The rest are kids that Wagner feels have the right attitude atleast and can run with decent speed (per recruiting coordinator Follet). Attitude has been the biggest problem for us in the past. Either the players have the wrong attitude or they developed it under Briggs. Briggs could recruit tallent he just couldn't recruit tallent AND character. He was never able to motivate his players.

catamount man
February 29th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I believe that there are several impact players in this recent class. The rest are kids that Wagner feels have the right attitude atleast and can run with decent speed (per recruiting coordinator Follet). Attitude has been the biggest problem for us in the past. Either the players have the wrong attitude or they developed it under Briggs. Briggs could recruit tallent he just couldn't recruit tallent AND character. He was never able to motivate his players.

I received a copy of the 1982 WCU football media guide today and talk about taking a trip down memory lane. Just looking at the book, you got a good sense of WCU's history, at that time, and where the program was heading. Of course after Waters canning and subsequent death, it all went south.

You do know the chancellor that canned Bob before his death still comes to football games and gives to the Catamount Club. Walked by our row once at a BB game and said hello to "Mr. NW". I just bit my lip and turned away.

Yes, it's been 19 years and I still haven't gotten over it. BUT, Wagner, I feel, is gonna bring those days back. I hope!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

SoCon48
February 29th, 2008, 09:12 PM

Nice to hear Elon'ers quit knocking on WCU for a change. When someone would say that Elon replaced VMI, the usual comment was no, the Phoenix replaced WCU.

Many Apps have learned long ago since we know in a rivalry like the WCU-APP series, it can bite us in the butt (and has) and we recall how tough the WCU program used to be.

SoCon48
February 29th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I received a copy of the 1982 WCU football media guide today and talk about taking a trip down memory lane. Just looking at the book, you got a good sense of WCU's history, at that time, and where the program was heading. Of course after Waters canning and subsequent death, it all went south.

You do know the chancellor that canned Bob before his death still comes to football games and gives to the Catamount Club. Walked by our row once at a BB game and said hello to "Mr. NW". I just bit my lip and turned away.

Yes, it's been 19 years and I still haven't gotten over it. BUT, Wagner, I feel, is gonna bring those days back. I hope!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

He can start by changing some of the rotten luck WCU has had the last few years and by not scheduling two SEC teams in one season.

catamount man
February 29th, 2008, 11:07 PM
He can start by changing some of the rotten luck WCU has had the last few years and by not scheduling two SEC teams in one season.

Already happening. We got 1 each for the next 3 years as it stands right now. DEFINITELY an improvement in scheduling. xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

SoCon48
March 1st, 2008, 05:48 AM
Yep. One money, national exposure game a year is smart at our level, but two is pushing it. It took App much of a season to heal from going up against the Wolverine squad. Those Big 10, ACC, SEC type programs can sub all day without much risk of jeopardizing the outcome.
Good luck in '08. Just keep the rain away in November. Never been so wet as in '06 there.

whoanellie
March 1st, 2008, 08:55 AM

Excuse me. xbowx
JMO but WCU was not nearly as badd as their record implied last year. True a new direction in head coach was needed. don't forget The Socon was very close in competition this past season. There were very close games. Co Champion Wofford was solid all year. Ga. Southern rebounded and Citadel overcame injuries And Furman came on at the end of the season as spoilers. Elon with a high powered offense became winners and some teachers college from Boone won their third national championship after pulling off the most stunning upset since the '80 Olympic team beat the Russians.
I understand Hope. I wish the new coach and his staff only the best but it is going to take a lot of work but Cullowhee is a great place to see a football game. The stadium and band were awesome last fall for the Elon game. I was very glad We won and that victory helped us prepare for Ga Southern. Nuff said.

catamount man
March 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM
Excuse me. xbowx
JMO but WCU was not nearly as badd as their record implied last year. True a new direction in head coach was needed. don't forget The Socon was very close in competition this past season. There were very close games. Co Champion Wofford was solid all year. Ga. Southern rebounded and Citadel overcame injuries And Furman came on at the end of the season as spoilers. Elon with a high powered offense became winners and some teachers college from Boone won their third national championship after pulling off the most stunning upset since the '80 Olympic team beat the Russians.
I understand Hope. I wish the new coach and his staff only the best but it is going to take a lot of work but Cullowhee is a great place to see a football game. The stadium and band were awesome last fall for the Elon game. I was very glad We won and that victory helped us prepare for Ga Southern. Nuff said.

It was a good game no doubt.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!