PDA

View Full Version : LEHIGH VS HARVARD

ngineer
September 26th, 2005, 09:23 PM
This game has a lot of implications for post season consideration should the Mountain Hawks stub their toes later. After the one point loss to Delaware, Lehigh could use a 'good' OOC win. Since the Crimson have no post season berth available, this may be the best they get for playing a 'playoff caliber' team as a measuring stick. (Yes, they do play Lafayette on October 15).
Currently, weather looks great for football. Sunny and temps in high 60's.
It would appear to me that the keys will be Dawson versus Lehigh's front seven and Borda versus the Harvard secondary. Looks like Brown moved the ball quite well through the air against Harvard, and I would suspect Lehigh's air force is more potent than the Bruins.
Harvard pounded out 252 yards rushing (but still spread out just over 200 yds passing), so Dawson will be the focus, but it can't be to the exclusion of the pass. Harvard's OC is the former OC and star wide receiver for Lehigh (Class of '94), so he will be very familiar with Lehigh's schemes. They haven't changed dramatically since Cecchini left three years ago.
The last time these two teams met Lehigh won 36-35 in a barnburner in Cambridge.. Harvard's last win was in 1997 by a 35-30 score, so high scoring affairs seem to be the pattern.
Harvard gets the edge on the ground, but not by a huge margin. Eric Rath is a tough runner as shown the past two games and Marques Thompson provides a 'change of pace'. On the other hand, Air Lehigh has the decided edge over the Crimson. Question is how good is Harvard's pass defense?
I called this a close one preseason and nothing has changed for me. Winner may be whoever gets the ball last. My call: Lehigh 41-38.

FightinBluHen51
September 26th, 2005, 09:30 PM
This game has a lot of implications for post season consideration should the Mountain Hawks stub their toes later. After the one point loss to Delaware, Lehigh could use a 'good' OOC win. Since the Crimson have no post season berth available, this may be the best they get for playing a 'playoff caliber' team as a measuring stick. (Yes, they do play Lafayette on October 15).
It would appear to me that the keys will be Dawson versus Lehigh's front seven and Borda versus the Harvard secondary. Looks like Brown moved the ball quite well through the air against Harvard, and I would suspect Lehigh's air force is more potent than the Bruins.
Harvard pounded out 252 yards rushing (but still spread out just over 200 yds passing), so Dawson will be the focus, but it can't be to the exclusion of the pass. Harvard's OC is the former OC and star wide receiver for Lehigh (Class of '94), so he will be very familiar with Lehigh's schemes. They haven't changed dramatically since Cecchini left three years ago.
The last time these two teams met Lehigh won 36-35 in a barnburner in Cambridge.. Harvard's last win was in 1997 by a 35-30 score, so high scoring affairs seem to be the pattern.
Harvard gets the edge on the ground, but not by a huge margin. Eric Rath is a tough runner as shown the past two games and Marques Thompson provides a 'change of pace'. On the other hand, Air Lehigh has the decided edge over the Crimson. Question is how good is Harvard's pass defense?
I called this a close one preseason and nothing has changed for me. Winner may be whoever gets the ball last. My call: Lehigh 41-38.
Definately a "yardstick" and "watchlist" game. After having seen Lehigh play, you all are ligit, and I have to agree that I think you'll be too much late in the game for harvard. That's on CSTV @ 12:30 right? I'll be tuning in for that one.

colgate13
September 26th, 2005, 09:40 PM
God knows I've been pretty awful with my picks this year, but I predict a statement game from Lehigh. A nice solid Lehigh win. Of course, that could be the jinx the engineers/mountain hawks don't want!

blukeys
September 26th, 2005, 09:45 PM
God knows I've been pretty awful with my picks this year, but I predict a statement game from Lehigh. A nice solid Lehigh win. Of course, that could be the jinx the engineers/mountain hawks don't want!

If Harvard wins it will be all your fault 13! :) :)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2005, 10:25 PM

:eyebrow:

13's record picking Harvard this year: 0-1

Oh, great. We're dead now. 13's pick is the KISS OF DEATH.

:doh:

ngineer
September 26th, 2005, 10:45 PM
How do you come up with Lehigh's "air" advantage? Did you ask Mazza or Cecchini?
I'm not saying Harvard can't or won't throw--but the key is not letting Dawson take control of the game. I'll take Borda at QB and Lehigh has a bevy of receivers. Though Walker is the 'marquee' presently, Thomas, Zeblum, Kovacs, and Porter provide a lot of weapons to be covered. I wouldn't even be surprised to see the TEs Morelli and Maggs get more involved. Also expecting a nice push form Lehigh's front. So, yes, I give Lehigh the edge through the air.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 26th, 2005, 11:04 PM

Lehigh won the game in 2002 at Goodman. I remember the game well because Harvard had a rediculous WR at the time, his name escapes me, Morris maybe? I think if Lehigh's focussed and plays 100% they'll win this game. Harvard stadium isn't the most intimidating place to play and Lehigh should have a strong presence at the game. This game is more important than the UD game IMHO. Win this game and it makes a statement for the rest of the year. It probably also allows for one hiccup in the league as i think 9-2 would be good enough for an atlarge bid. Lose it and Lehigh's only chance at the postseason is to win out. If Lehigh wins they shouldn't lose another game the rest of the season unless they have another VMI like performance. This game is huge!! Homefield in the playoffs, possible top 4 seed...i'm looking way too much in the future ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I haven't done my preview yet, but I sense a crisp, well-played and well-coached game on both sides. My big question is: Will the Lehigh players have that killer instinct that they've lacked in their 2 previous games? Hearing about Harvard's last-second comeback against Brown makes me start itching uncontrollably. Add to that Lehigh's lack of finishing power, plus Harvard's playing at home...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 26th, 2005, 11:38 PM
I haven't done my preview yet, but I sense a crisp, well-played and well-coached game on both sides. My big question is: Will the Lehigh players have that killer instinct that they've lacked in their 2 previous games? Hearing about Harvard's last-second comeback against Brown makes me start itching uncontrollably. Add to that Lehigh's lack of finishing power, plus Harvard's playing at home...

There's a couple reasons why i'm cautiously optimistic
1. Lehigh's Due- This group has come soo close the last couple years to beating a top 10-15 team that they have to win evetually. The Villanova, JMU, and UD game they were there until the very end but couldn't pull it out. Karma has to be on our side atleast once i believe. This group is too talented to have nothing more than near misses.
2. They know they have to finish, the point they can't i think will be drawn out to naussiam the next few days. Play 60 minutes of complete football and there isn't a team in the country they can't beat IMHO.
3. Harvard isn't Penn. This could be looked at from two ways; another Ivy team besides Penn is due to beat Lehigh, or Lehigh owns every Ivy team but Penn. In case anyone doesn't know Lehigh hasn't lost to an Ivy team other than Penn since 1997.
4. Homefield should mean little- This isn't the Tub or Paladin Stadium Lehigh is going into. Homefield should mean little more than a bus ride to Boston. I would suspect Lehigh to bring a strong following to Cambridge like they did to Yale last year, 3-5k. The Harvard guy even admitted much more than 10,000 is unlikely.
5. It has been well documented by Lehigh players in the news that the goals this year is not just a PL title. They believe they can make a run at National Title this year. If they truely believe that and want that they have to win this game for a couple of reasons. As i stated before i think a win will give them a mulligan in the PL should they lose to gain an atlarge bid. But more importantly, if they run the table they'll most certaintly get 1 home game and would have a very good chance at a top 4 seed. One home game would deffinately help them achieve their goal, two would be a dream scenerio for this program.

colgate13
September 27th, 2005, 06:47 AM
:eyebrow:

13's record picking Harvard this year: 0-1

Oh, great. We're dead now. 13's pick is the KISS OF DEATH.

:doh:

well, I am 2-1 in Lehigh picks... and I did pick OT vs. Delaware, just with a different ending. All is not lost!:nod:

ChickenMan
September 27th, 2005, 07:57 AM
This is a chance for Lehigh to establish themselves as one of the better 1AA teams. They played poorly at VMI in an obvious 'let down' situation and they lost a game vs UD when they played very well. If LU wins this one... looking at the remainer of their schedule... they should be set up to make the playoffs with a home field advantage.

Ivytalk
September 27th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Tim Murphy won't let his charges overlook this game, which might be decided by turnovers and the kicking game. The Crimson will be pumped up after their big win last week and will want to keep their winning streak alive. I'll say Harvard wins it, 34-30.

ngineer
September 27th, 2005, 06:08 PM

One word: Cruex :D

ngineer
September 27th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Tim Murphy won't let his charges overlook this game, which might be decided by turnovers and the kicking game. The Crimson will be pumped up after their big win last week and will want to keep their winning streak alive. I'll say Harvard wins it, 34-30.

Ivy--what's Harvard's kicking game like? It is not a well-kept secret that Lehigh's place kicking has been adventerous the past two years and still has most of us holding our collective breaths when ever we line up in fg formation. If this come down to the wire, the kicking game could be the edge for either team. If Musiek finally hits a 'big one' redemption and a boost for the rest of the year would occur. If he misses,..I don't want to think about it.

Ivytalk
September 27th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Ivy--what's Harvard's kicking game like? It is not a well-kept secret that Lehigh's place kicking has been adventerous the past two years and still has most of us holding our collective breaths when ever we line up in fg formation. If this come down to the wire, the kicking game could be the edge for either team. If Musiek finally hits a 'big one' redemption and a boost for the rest of the year would occur. If he misses,..I don't want to think about it.

The Harvard kicker, Schindel, is only a soph but had a fine freshman year and hit two clutch FGs against Brown last week and the clincher against HC the week before (after missing an XP early). I think he's the best Harvard PK since Villanueva 20 years ago. My biggest fear is the Harvard weakness in the defensive secondary. Big-game receivers like Brown's Schreck seem to have career games against us. It hasn't cost us so far, but...

Harvard Worship
September 28th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Harvard's kicking game is the best it's been in years. Schindel has really been a savior. I can remember those years when Murphy wouldn't even risk going for PATs. It was 2pt tries every time back in the Rose-Morris days. Anders Blewett lived up to his name and his replacement, Choco-Taco Morrocco, was even worse in my opinion. Schindel has really come through for us, and I think he proved in the Brown game that he can handle pressure.
I agree with IvyTalk that Harvard's secondary is the real source of worry here. They looked downright scary vs. Brown, and not too great vs. Holy Cross, which (talk of a HC resurgeance aside) is perhaps more disturbing. However, Schreck is a really good WR and Harvard's quite respectable secondary from 2004 (99yd INT return for touchdown vs Yale, remember?) also had trouble vs. him. We'll just have to see -- this will be the game that lets us know for sure whether the problem was the secondary or Schreck. And remember that Murphy is obsessed with Hartigan and monomaniacally demands 1-on-1 man coverage vs Brown, which he might not do vs Lehigh.
What really worries me is PENALTIES. Harvard had over 100yds in flags vs Brown. Considering that even the best I-AA teams rarely get more than 500 yds a game, that's like spotting your opponent a 20% boost. Scandalous, although I hear Lehigh has had similar lack of discipline at times.
I think this is gonna be a great game. Two programs that are expected to be good (and probably ARE good) coming off sloppy play. They should be hungry.
And don't discount the home-field advantage. Sure Harvard rarely gets more than 15,000 for non-yale, northeastern, or princeton games. But Soldier's Field is famous for its bizarre weather patterns. The winds swirl, it can get downright freezing, it's got real grass that often gives way under foot... and Harvard is used to it. Oh, and I'm forcing all my classmates still in Cambridge to go.
However, I'm surprised no one has considered the injuries picture yet, which for Harvard is pretty significant: Dawson hurt his hip vs Brown (limiting to only 186 yds and 3 qtrs play), and Mazza, our "star" (read: only) wide reciever (except for Rodney Brynes, who seems to be permanently injured) hurt his ankle pretty darn bad & is expected to miss games. So Harvard is going to be playing with even more new players. I think this is gonna be tuff for them: O'Hagan is raw (we saw him float way too many passes vs Brown) and def not Fitzie. The line is not the Dominating Harvard O-Line we're used to. And the WR and Secondary is severly depleted. Look for more penalties and mistakes.
Much as I'd love to see Harvard keep the streak alive, I think there's real reason to worry about this one. It should be a good game. Don't miss it.

colgate13
September 28th, 2005, 06:38 AM
"Harvard Worship"? I think I might boot...

Just kidding. Great to have another member from the Ancient Eight! :nod:

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Nice Blog Count! Welcome to the fray.

Hey I think Im Insane
In a really really unhealthy way. You see, I just registered for another forum site. Yeah, in ADDITION to dota-allstars.com (DotA) and USCHO.com (College Hockey). It's www.anygivensaturday.com (I-AA Football). That's right, I-AA football. Yes, there IS a forum about that, and now I'm a member, and plan to spend all the time that I do not spend writing this blog or learning to juggle or playing DotA or looking for a job writing new and exciting posts about much-maligned HARVARD football. And believe it or not, there's another Harvard fan already posting on the site: the only Ivy man, I think. w00t.
You all should join the site too. It'd be mad cool to have all our takes on the games posted there, and people would think that Harvard had all sorts of die-hard fans, and not just me and that other guy. Of course, I know you're not all as insane as me. Sad.

Ivytalk
September 28th, 2005, 08:36 AM
You identify yourself as a member of the class of '05. That's great! Nice to know that there's at least one recent grad who's not totally self-absorbed and realizes that there's more to life than filthy lucre. Namely, Harvard football! I'm old enough to be your father, but I have fond memories of the old concrete mausoleum called Harvard Stadium. (ngineer, you and your Mountain Hawk cohorts better bring your stadium seats, because those cement benches can be tough on middle-aged arses.)

Worship, I was impressed by your analysis and dismayed by the injury report. Oh, well, I'll stick by my prediction of a 34-30 Harvard win and will be prepared for Lehigh taunts next week if I turn out to be wrong.

Fordham
September 28th, 2005, 09:41 AM
So I'm watching the "Lehigh Sports Magazine" on Fox Sports Atlantic last night (kids woke me up and couldn't get back to sleep) and I hear Lembo on there basically saying that it's only the PL games that he's worried about. There were a few other subtle digs at either Harvard or the Ivies in general, which really surprised me.

For any "Engineer" fans, that show is a great marketing tool. During football season does Lembo pretty much get the run of the place or is it equally split up between all sports and I just happened to catch the one focused on football?

PS - just kidding about the Lembo Harvard comments but figured I'd try to elevate the smack in here a bit.

Engineer91
September 28th, 2005, 10:04 AM
So I'm watching the "Lehigh Sports Magazine" on Fox Sports Atlantic last night (kids woke me up and couldn't get back to sleep) and I hear Lembo on there basically saying that it's only the PL games that he's worried about. There were a few other subtle digs at either Harvard or the Ivies in general, which really surprised me.

For any "Engineer" fans, that show is a great marketing tool. During football season does Lembo pretty much get the run of the place or is it equally split up between all sports and I just happened to catch the one focused on football?

PS - just kidding about the Lembo Harvard comments but figured I'd try to elevate the smack in here a bit.

I think Lembo just about always opens up the show as long as there was a game that previous week. They always have another coach (and team member) on from one of the other sports at Lehigh. Additionally there are shorts sections on results from last week, the schedule for the up coming week, and a quick mention of the Student Athelete of the Week.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Interesting note on the Lehigh-Harvard game. Harvard's last loss to a PL school; Lehigh in 2002. That loss in 2002 snapped an 11 game Harvard winning streak at the time. I'm a big trend guy ;)

ISUMatt
September 28th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Harvard 31
Lehigh 27

Ivytalk
September 28th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Harvard 31
Lehigh 27

Thanks for the love, Matt!! :cool:

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Harvard 31
Lehigh 27
A little dislexia on Harvard's score....

Lehigh 27 - Harvard 13 is more like it. :p

Ivytalk
September 28th, 2005, 03:26 PM
A little dislexia on Harvard's score....

Lehigh 27 - Harvard 13 is more like it. :p

What have you been smoking, Hen? Or imbibing?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Exhaustive Lehigh/Harvard Preview Up
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

LBPop
September 28th, 2005, 03:42 PM

I just saw the words, dislexia and imbibing back to back on a football board :eek: . I think I'm gonna go out somewhere and drink a beer chaser--then a shot of whiskey. :o

89Hen
September 28th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Why? Lehigh has beaten Harvard three straight. Just as Villanova has been a thorn in the side of Penn, so Lehigh is to the Crimson. :p

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Exhaustive Lehigh/Harvard Preview Up
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Couple notes from your previews:
-Cechini was an All-American WR, not TE
- I don't Lehigh has to hold Dawson to under 100 yards to be effective. If Dawson gets 25-30 carries and rush's for 120 yards i'd mark it up as a success. The strength of Lehigh's D is the front 7, this will be Dawson's stiffest test in his two years at Harvard
-I agree if Lehigh avoids mistakes on "O", Harvard will not be able to stop them. They way too many guys to key on.
-Lehigh will not hold Harvard to 10 points unless Harvard makes a ton of mistakes on offense. Lehigh's D has been questionable at best this year. They've played good to very good 50% of the time but still allow too many quick/easy scoring drives.

I still think if the teams play to their maximum potential Lehigh wins. They have more depth at the skill position players as well as more speed. This game falls on the Defensive secondary. They can't allow 3rd and long conversions, something Lehigh is notorious for doing as well as 3rd and shorts, do that they'll be fine. This game will come down to who limits mistakes as well as who has more balance on offense. I think Gerran Walker can be a huge asset on kick returns as well. Hopefully Harvard decides to kick to him.

Ivytalk
September 28th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Interesting note on the Lehigh-Harvard game. Harvard's last loss to a PL school; Lehigh in 2002. That loss in 2002 snapped an 11 game Harvard winning streak at the time. I'm a big trend guy ;)

OK, Owl, I'll see your trend and raise you one. According to this week's Harvard Game Notes, the Crimson are 253-5-1 all time when they score 30 or more points. In a shootout, I like our chances! :cool:

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2005, 05:04 PM
OK, Owl, I'll see your trend and raise you one. According to this week's Harvard Game Notes, the Crimson are 253-5-1 all time when they score 30 or more points. In a shootout, I like our chances! :cool:

1-1 against Lehigh in shootouts.

Engineer91
September 28th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Harvard 35 Lehigh 31

Lehigh cannot control the tempo of a game, kicking game is questionable, and are prone to giving up big yards on penalties and miscues. None of these are good for a close game.

Does Lehigh have to hold Dawson under 100? Only if Harvard decides to run run run ... why do this against the 110th ranked passing defense in the country?

Plusses for Lehigh: possible significant injuries for Harvard and large return yardage if they kick to Walker

colgate13
September 28th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I don't like the Lehigh sandbagging. If you guys can't go in there and take this one, this could go on record as one of the worst years the Patriot has had in a long time. Say it ain't so. Like George Michael, I've got to have faith!

Get pumped Lehigh - start winning the 'big game' instead of playing well and just coming up short!

ngineer
September 28th, 2005, 08:29 PM
You identify yourself as a member of the class of '05. That's great! Nice to know that there's at least one recent grad who's not totally self-absorbed and realizes that there's more to life than filthy lucre. Namely, Harvard football! I'm old enough to be your father, but I have fond memories of the old concrete mausoleum called Harvard Stadium. (ngineer, you and your Mountain Hawk cohorts better bring your stadium seats, because those cement benches can be tough on middle-aged arses.)
Worship, I was impressed by your analysis and dismayed by the injury report. Oh, well, I'll stick by my prediction of a 34-30 Harvard win and will be prepared for Lehigh taunts next week if I turn out to be wrong.

I was forewarned. I do have my "official" Lehigh cushioned bench seats. At my age, and typical old jock condition, (have had the 'roids cut twice,now) I'm always prepared to an 'H'. Actually, sounds like Harvard stadium is similar to our old Taylor (torn down in 1987) that was just ol' poured concrete benches covered with Bethlehem Steel soot(though 10,000) bigger.. Ironic, they're both gone now. Weather does look good, though. High 60's and sunny.
Don't know where they're putting us for our 'tailgate' (since we're arriving on buses ;) ) If your trolling around where a red carnation in your lapel and I'll say hi.
'Sorry' to hear about the injuries. Looks like our skill people are back, but our O-line is dinged up. Chance for some youngins to shine.

ngineer
September 28th, 2005, 08:43 PM

Glad I saw the PS--'cause I saw the show and didn't hear that. The show is good and a great marketing tool. It's shown on a number of stations and cable outlets in northeast and PA/OH. IN football season, Lembo usually has a captain or previous week's star and takes about 2/3 of the show. the rest for other fall sports. In winter, wrestling and b-ball take over for the majority of the time.

Ivytalk
September 28th, 2005, 09:26 PM
I was forewarned. I do have my "official" Lehigh cushioned bench seats. At my age, and typical old jock condition, (have had the 'roids cut twice,now) I'm always prepared to an 'H'. Actually, sounds like Harvard stadium is similar to our old Taylor (torn down in 1987) that was just ol' poured concrete benches covered with Bethlehem Steel soot(though 10,000) bigger.. Ironic, they're both gone now. Weather does look good, though. High 60's and sunny.
Don't know where they're putting us for our 'tailgate' (since we're arriving on buses ;) ) If your trolling around where a red carnation in your lapel and I'll say hi.
'Sorry' to hear about the injuries. Looks like our skill people are back, but our O-line is dinged up. Chance for some youngins to shine.

Wish I could be there, ng, but I have a long-standing family commitment this weekend. We'll have CSTV access, though! Enjoy the whole scene, and I hope to catch up with you at Goodman next year. The Harvard tailgaters are a friendly bunch. They may even share their cabernet! ;)