PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week Five

OL FU
September 26th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Georgia Southern @ Elon – Elon is 3-1. It may be a good time to cancel the season. Unless a miracle happens, there will not be any additions to first column in that record the rest of the year. Georgia Southern rolls

The Citadel @ Western Carolina – Western Carolina gets back in the saddle after sitting out the hurricane. This game will not be as lopsided as Appalachian’s win against the Bulldogs, but it will be bad enough. Western moves to 3-1 and the Citadel is looking forward to playing Elon.

Wofford @Chattanooga– We should get to see if Georgia Southern improved last week or if Chattanooga is really back in the doldrums. I think Chattanooga has a surprise or two in them this year and I hope they get it out of their system before the last game of the year. I do think the surprises will be in Tennessee, but am not courageous enough to pick one this week. Wofford takes ‘em.

Other than revenge on the Eagles for last years pounding, Appalachian would like nothing more than to make it four in a row against the Paladins (Well maybe getting the Jug back or going I-A, who knows.). So they are taking the week off to make sure they are ready.

Gardner Webb @ Paladin Stadium – Second set of Bulldogs in three weeks. The more we play bulldogs the better we get at it. But I don’t expect a blow out. Not that I expect it to be close. I think Furman takes it by a couple maybe three touchdowns. Furman has handled GW pretty easily in the past but we will be looking backwards at Hofstra and forwards to Appalachian.

GSU Eagle
September 26th, 2005, 03:00 PM
GSU at Elon: We looked good vs. Chattanooga, now can we continue to improve? Offensively you couldn't ask for much more than vs. Chatt. Our defense still needs work. I believe we win this one but not in a huge blowout. I say GSU 31 Elon 17.

Citadel at WCU: Until WCU proves me wrong I have them as a SoCon championship calibre team this year. Citadel was beaten badly at home vs. ASU. I can't see Citadel going to Cullowee and making a game of this. WCU 35 Citadel 14.

Wofford at Chattanooga. Chattanooga was very, very poor vs. our running attack on Saturday. Guess what? Wofford is as much of a running team as GSU is. Unless Chattanooga can find some defensive stops this one could get one-sided. I do believe Chattanooga has a decent offense-- they moved it up and down the field vs. us, just did enough wrong to not score more points. I have Wofford winning here: 31 to 21.

Gardner-Webb vs. Furman. Furman's defense has me worried a little, but GW would have to play great and get several turnovers to have a real chance. Furman 38 GW 24

OL FU
September 26th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Gardner-Webb vs. Furman. Furman's defense has me worried a little, but GW would have to play great and get several turnovers to have a real chance. Furman 38 GW 24

I betcha our defense has me more worried than it has you worried. ;)

GSU Eagle
September 26th, 2005, 03:26 PM
I would have to agree with that :). Maybe we can just combine GSU and Furman's defenses and we might have a good one.

We will get some kind of comparison in a couple of weeks when WCU comes to Statesboro.

I really don't have a feel for how our season is going to go. We could finish anywhere from 9-2 (unlikely) to something like 6-5. We need for someone to beat Wofford. You guys take care of that for us, ok.

OL FU
September 26th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I would have to agree with that :). Maybe we can just combine GSU and Furman's defenses and we might have a good one.

We will get some kind of comparison in a couple of weeks when WCU comes to Statesboro.

I really don't have a feel for how our season is going to go. We could finish anywhere from 9-2 (unlikely) to something like 6-5. We need for someone to beat Wofford. You guys take care of that for us, ok.

We'll take Wofford you take Western. :) I don't know what either of us will do with ASU.

youwouldno
September 26th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Furman yards allowed:

vs.

JSU: 301
WCU: 363
Samford: 398
Hofstra: 381

Furman average yards per game: 465

Only the Samford game looks especially bad in that light. On the other hand, Furman has allowed a million points. I think the defense is getting some blame that more properly belongs with the offense for turning the ball over and the special teams for not doing better in the field position battle (though ST did very well against Hofstra). I mean, a 100-yard advantage in YPG should not translate into a 2 point score advantage.

When our defense has needed stops, we've gotten them. Our comeback effort against WCU died when Martin was picked off for a TD... 6 TOs cost us that game, not the defense.

Furman will handle G-W. App St.? Well, App fans better hope Richie Williams has another historic game in his arsenal, because it'll take that to win in Greenville.

OL FU
September 26th, 2005, 04:09 PM
youwouldknow,

You make a valid point. The defense be getting a little bit less credit than they deserve. It is not unusual for us to give up yards against a passing team. I do think there has been a little more break in the bend don't break defense than normal. But I also see it improving. Would be nice to see GW held to 17 or under.

catamount man
September 26th, 2005, 05:57 PM
El Cid-14
WCU -31

GSU-34
Elon-13

G.Webb-7
Furman-48

Wofford-21
Chatty-14

ASU-OPEN

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

DotCat
September 27th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Catamounts after having a week off will be looking forward to getting back on the field and repaying the Bulldogs for last seasons debacle in Chucktown. Catamounts win unfront of a huge Open House/Family Weekend crowd in Cullowhee, and move up another notch or two in the polls. The P&G might even fly in Whitmire.

GSU/Elon...the Triple Option wins.

Wofford/ChooChoo...see above.

Gardner-Webb/Furman...the Paladins remind the Bulldogs why they are in the LittleSouth and not the SoCon. Paladins roll.

ASU...takes a knee.

FU97
September 27th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Furman yards allowed:

vs.

JSU: 301
WCU: 363
Samford: 398
Hofstra: 381

Furman average yards per game: 465

Only the Samford game looks especially bad in that light. On the other hand, Furman has allowed a million points. I think the defense is getting some blame that more properly belongs with the offense for turning the ball over and the special teams for not doing better in the field position battle (though ST did very well against Hofstra). I mean, a 100-yard advantage in YPG should not translate into a 2 point score advantage.

When our defense has needed stops, we've gotten them. Our comeback effort against WCU died when Martin was picked off for a TD... 6 TOs cost us that game, not the defense.

Furman will handle G-W. App St.? Well, App fans better hope Richie Williams has another historic game in his arsenal, because it'll take that to win in Greenville.

We've had two INTs returned for TD and one KO returned for TD. One muffed kickoff led to a 15 yard TD drive. Two fumbles led to two 30 yard TD drives vs Jax. That's 42 of the points we've given up. Those points have come with the defense giving up a total of 75 yards of ofense.

Eagle_77
September 27th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Im with everyone else this week. I dont think there will be any upsets.

Georgia Southern @ Elon – "Elon is 3-1. It may be a good time to cancel the season." Sounds like you took this from me from another thread. I agree. Although Elon usually plays us tough there and there coach had some success against us at ETSU I think it will be just enough from making this one competely lop sided. GSU 35 Elon 14

The Citadel @ Western Carolina – WCU has last years game on the mind and with the week off should be well rested for this march up and down the field. WCU's offense will not have to do much because their defense will provide some turnovers and a short field almost all day. WCU 27 Citadel 7

Wofford @Chattanooga– Chattanooga vs the option two weeks in a row should mean two losses in a row. I would say that this weeks score will look almost like last weeks score for UTC but they are at home and they have the talent to score. I think that if UTC doesnt turn the ball over then they have a chance to keep it close but if they have turnovers then its over. I think Woffords defense can stop UTC's run game and force them to pass which means Wofford 31 UTC 21.

Gardner Webb @ Paladin Stadium – This should be the most lopsided game of the week. Gardner Webb is moving in the right direction but they are not there yet. Furman makes less mistakes and less turnovers and the defense shows up. Furman 42 GW 10

OL FU
September 27th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Im with everyone else this week. I dont think there will be any upsets.

Georgia Southern @ Elon – "Elon is 3-1. It may be a good time to cancel the season. Sounds like you took this from me from another thread"

I learned as a child that stealing is a crime.
I learned as a student that well planned out plagiarism will get get you an A. :)

Not really, great minds think a like and I believe we posted on different threads about the same time.

Eagle_77
September 27th, 2005, 10:42 AM
I was only messing with you. And its hard for me to think a Furman guy has a good mind but I guess in your case you slipped through the cracks. So yes great minds think a like.

OL FU
September 27th, 2005, 10:50 AM
I was only messing with you. And its hard for me to think a Furman guy has a good mind but I guess in your case you slipped through the cracks. So yes great minds think a like.

Even a small little formerly southern baptist private school can FU occasionally. :)

nick9c
September 27th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Georgia Southern @ Elon – You've read it here first. Elon always plays GSU tough at home and this year will be no exception. This will be the shocker of the week. Elon's rush defense has not allowed more than 130 yards/game on the ground. If they can hold GSU to under 300, I sniff an upset in the making. Elon by a FG late... Elon - 31 Igglets - 28

The Citadel @ Western Carolina – Simply put, WCU's defense is too strong for the Bellhops. WCU - 28 Citadel - 10

Wofford @Chattanooga– In the second upset of the week, a pissed Chattanooga team takes on a flat Wofford team coming off a bye week. After playing GSU last week, UTC adjusts to Wofford's option-oriented offense and the Puppies go home with a loss. UTC - 21 Wofford - 17.

Gardner Webb @ Furman – The Paladins defense and offense comes alive in this one and fireworks fly at Paladin Stadium. Paladins offense combines for over 600 yards in this one, and the defense holds Gardner Webb to a touchdown and FG. Furman - 59 GW - 10

gsuwinsudont
September 27th, 2005, 11:45 AM
No smack intended to Elon but i hear every year about how good their run D is and we go out and get 350 on the ground. A good run D and a good option D are two different things.

nick9c
September 27th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Elon runs a 3-4 defense, have some quality linebackers, a good CB, and a very good young safety. If they can keep Austin from getting a lot of yards up the middle (this will be key), I think they can contain your slot backs. If GSU has under 300 yards rushing, and more than 1 turnover, I think Elon will win. GSU always tends to win big at home against them, but always struggles on the road with the Phoenix. I don't expect this year to be any different. GSU still has to prove it can win on the road this year.

gsugt1
September 27th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Elon runs a 3-4 defense, have some quality linebackers, a good CB, and a very good young safety. If they can keep Austin from getting a lot of yards up the middle (this will be key), I think they can contain your slot backs. If GSU has under 300 yards rushing, and more than 1 turnover, I think Elon will win. GSU always tends to win big at home against them, but always struggles on the road with the Phoenix. I don't expect this year to be any different. GSU still has to prove it can win on the road this year.

We won on the road at Northeastern.

nick9c
September 27th, 2005, 02:43 PM
My oversight :bang: ...a big win would be nice though.

blueballs
September 27th, 2005, 05:13 PM

That's a fair analysis, except I'd add to the last sentence "GSU has to prove it can win a conference game on the road this year."

eagleskins
September 27th, 2005, 10:05 PM
My oversight :bang: ...a big win would be nice though.

A win at Northeastern is a lot bigger than a win at Elon.

GoCats
September 28th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I have not posted here before but have been reading for a while. What a great board. As you can see by my screen name I am an avid Cat fan. Yes a WCU cat fan :) As for this game coming up according to the guys I have spoken to they are up and ready for this one. I say the cats will come out a little sluggish first quarter and then they will crank it up and keep us hollaring the entire time. Defense is brutal and Offense is anxious to get moving and keep moving. The boys at WCU want more than anything to be the champions and they want and have earned the respect so many are beginning to give them. For fun I say WCU 38 and Citadel 3. Go Cats!!!!

OL FU
September 28th, 2005, 08:43 AM
I have not posted here before but have been reading for a while. What a great board. As you can see by my screen name I am an avid Cat fan. Yes a WCU cat fan :) As for this game coming up according to the guys I have spoken to they are up and ready for this one. I say the cats will come out a little sluggish first quarter and then they will crank it up and keep us hollaring the entire time. Defense is brutal and Offense is anxious to get moving and keep moving. The boys at WCU want more than anything to be the champions and they want and have earned the respect so many are beginning to give them. For fun I say WCU 38 and Citadel 3. Go Cats!!!!

Welcome to the board and don't be shy.

DotCat
September 28th, 2005, 08:43 AM
I have not posted here before but have been reading for a while.

Welcome!!!

gsuwinsudont
September 28th, 2005, 10:22 AM
We've played @ Elon twice. Struggled once in 01 and blew them out in 03. I'm just not prepared to say we ALWAYS struggle at Elon.

Eagle_77
September 28th, 2005, 11:53 AM
We've played @ Elon twice. Struggled once in 01 and blew them out in 03. I'm just not prepared to say we ALWAYS struggle at Elon.

01: 27-21 this game was decided by a questinable call that could have gone either way.

03: 37-13 this score looks like we had our way but let me assure you that this was not the case. This game was much closer than the score indicates.

While Elons coach was at ETSU he constantly gave us fits. While I would not say that they are as big of a threat as ASU is usually to us on the road, history tells us not to look at this game lightly.

gofurman
September 29th, 2005, 03:38 PM
El Cid-14
WCU -31

GSU-34
Elon-13

G.Webb-7
Furman-48

Wofford-21
Chatty-14

ASU-OPEN

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

i am a furman fan and would love that 48-7 but our pass D is too suspect ...35-20

Eagles_Cliff
September 29th, 2005, 05:29 PM
WCU over Citadel

Vermin over Gardner-Webb

Wofford over Chattanooga

GSU over Elon

WCU's defense was good last year and may be better this year

Vermin get another easy one over G-W

Ditto's to above comments regarding the option, but Wofford's defense is suspect. Their success vs. GSU was their ability to totally commit to the run with 8 men and GSU's inabiltiy or unwillingness to pass. McNeese did the same. Chatty's defense played off the ball. Wofford will score, but Chatty may not hurt themselves as much as last week and could make it an upset.
Still not enough to pick Chatty.

GSU has had trouble in Burlington. If the Phoenix put 8 men in the box to stop the run, all bets are off. In years past, when teams crowd the box, GSU teams have gone to high percentage short passes to make them back off. This year, so far, we've run the option with the read being to the FB up the middle in a cloud of dust or a 5-step drop turned frantic scramble/roll out to throw downfield 40 yards. :bang:

GSUhooligan
September 29th, 2005, 07:37 PM
01: 27-21 this game was decided by a questinable call that could have gone either way.

03: 37-13 this score looks like we had our way but let me assure you that this was not the case. This game was much closer than the score indicates.

While Elons coach was at ETSU he constantly gave us fits. While I would not say that they are as big of a threat as ASU is usually to us on the road, history tells us not to look at this game lightly.

In '01 we were looking past Elon because we were by far, a better team. In '03 we were a bad team(by GSU standards)
This year, we aren't taking any games for granted and will bring it. :asswhip:

OL FU
September 29th, 2005, 08:39 PM
i am a furman fan and would love that 48-7 but our pass D is too suspect ...35-20

And you also, welcome to the board. We need all the Purple people we can get.

EagleCrusade
September 30th, 2005, 07:19 AM
And you also, welcome to the board. We need all the Purple people we can get.

Pump it up!

OL FU
September 30th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Pump it up!

:anim_chai

Take that you bastage. :)