PDA

View Full Version : App State wins attendance title, Montana 2nd

MplsBison
February 26th, 2008, 10:12 AM
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/NCAA/NCAA+News/NCAA+News+Online/2008/Assocation-wide/Football+attendance+soars+again+-+02-08-08+NCAA+News

Appalachian State won the FCS championship for the third straight year, and with it came the school’s first football season attendance title. The Mountaineers’ attendance total of 217,968 was the most of any Division I FCS team. Their average of 24,218 fans per game displaced the winner from the past two seasons, Montana, which averaged 22,799. Yale finished a close third at 22,792.

When will you be joining CUSA, Appy fans?

I have a feeling that Central Florida will be leaving for the Big East. That gives you an opening.

AZGrizFan
February 26th, 2008, 10:15 AM
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/NCAA/NCAA+News/NCAA+News+Online/2008/Assocation-wide/Football+attendance+soars+again+-+02-08-08+NCAA+News

I have a feeling that Central Florida will be leaving for the Big East. That gives you an opening.

MplsBison's mantra: All successful teams MUST move up. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

andy7171
February 26th, 2008, 10:18 AM
MplsBison's mantra: All successful teams MUST move up. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Successful at drawing large crowds.

ncbears
February 26th, 2008, 10:19 AM

PLEASE...not another "move up" thread! Damn you Mplsbison. You should know better!
xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

AZGrizFan
February 26th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Successful at drawing large crowds.

xeyebrowx
Your point?

andy7171
February 26th, 2008, 10:24 AM
xeyebrowx
Your point?

It seems that ole MPLS only uses attendance to determine whether a FCS team is worthy of moving to FBS. He never rails on UMass or UNH for moving up because they don't draw crowds, but are similarly successful.

AZGrizFan
February 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM
It seems that ole MPLS only uses attendance to determine whether a FCS team is worthy of moving to FBS. He never rails on UMass or UNH for moving up because they don't draw crowds, but are similarly successful.

xthumbsupx

Thought you were baggin' on my Griz or on Yalies......never mind.

Carry on. xpeacex

AshevilleApp2
February 26th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Ideally never.

SoCon48
February 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Ideally never.

Amen!

Touchdown Yosef
February 26th, 2008, 11:02 AM
when we start drawing 70k per game and there is a fair playoff system firmly in place in the BCS with an invitation for ASU to join the ACC, Big East, or SEC. So basically never, which is fine by me.

MplsBison
February 26th, 2008, 11:04 AM
He never rails on UMass or UNH for moving up because they don't draw crowds, but are similarly successful.

UMass could pull a UConn if they could get a guaranteed invite to the BE.

You never know what will happen after the BE split in 2010.

neersnbeers
February 26th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Prob. when an engineer can figure out how to squeeze a FBS sized stadium/parking into Boone all the while the university itself expands. Boone PD handling 40000 fans? Who all was there for the YSU beating in '05? I have pics of Boone PD setting dogs on the crowd. IF is was to happen, theres alot of work to do.xpeacex

AppStFan76
February 26th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Prob. when an engineer can figure out how to squeeze a FBS sized stadium/parking into Boone all the while the university itself expands. Boone PD handling 40000 fans? Who all was there for the YSU beating in '05? I have pics of Boone PD setting dogs on the crowd. IF is was to happen, theres alot of work to do.xpeacex

Forget BOONE PD the bigger joke is ASU PD and security. I hope the stadium is done before my 5yr. old and 8 yr. old go to App!!

schmofstra
February 26th, 2008, 11:50 AM
The link to the FBS attendance list didn't work. Does anybody have a list of the 10 I-A teams with the LOWEST attendance? I bet the App States, Montanas, Yales and Delawares of the world would compare favorably.

Touchdown Yosef
February 26th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Forget BOONE PD the bigger joke is ASU PD and security. I hope the stadium is done before my 5yr. old and 8 yr. old go to App!!

I believe that ASU and Boone PD are now the same organization. While I maintian a high level of respect for Police Officers everywhere I have very little for several members of the Boone PD.

AppStFan76
February 26th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I believe that ASU and Boone PD are now the same organization. While I maintian a high level of respect for Police Officers everywhere I have very little for several members of the Boone PD.

I'm with you on that when I lived there we always refered to Boone PD as the " Barney Fife" squad. I was not aware of ASU and Boone Pd merging. Are you still living in Boone?

MplsBison
February 26th, 2008, 12:39 PM
The link to the FBS attendance list didn't work. Does anybody have a list of the 10 I-A teams with the LOWEST attendance? I bet the App States, Montanas, Yales and Delawares of the world would compare favorably.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/attendance/IA_ATTENDANCE.pdf

It's hard to copy/paste from that document so I just made a picture of the last 10.

Average attendance is the 3rd column from the right:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2433/attendew6.jpg

andy7171
February 26th, 2008, 12:41 PM
LOL!!! Towson is somewhere ahead of Eastern Michigan and just behind Florida International! That's just pitiful!

MplsBison
February 26th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Here's the IAA document:

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/attendance/IAA_ATTENDANCE.pdf

This is sorted by accumulative attendance, so Delaware actually ended up being 3rd.

schmofstra
February 26th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I see a few former I-AA schools in that group. Five MAC schools, right?

It'd be interesting to know how much money they're losing compared to when they were in Our Subdivision. I wonder if any of them are having second thoughts.

BgJag
February 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM
In the FCS conference race, the Southwestern Athletic Conference held on to its top spot once again with 15,614 fans per game. The SWAC has finished first in 28 of the last 29 years, with the Southern Conference having won in 2005 and finishing second this season at 13,074. The rest of the top five were the Gateway (11,724), Mid-Eastern (11,420) and Big Sky (9,952).

MplsBison
February 26th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Well no s***.

When you play a bunch of "classic" games in NFL stadiums and get 40-60k to show up.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
In the FCS conference race, the Southwestern Athletic Conference held on to its top spot once again with 15,614 fans per game. The SWAC has finished first in 28 of the last 29 years, with the Southern Conference having won in 2005 and finishing second this season at 13,074. The rest of the top five were the Gateway (11,724), Mid-Eastern (11,420) and Big Sky (9,952).

I was about to say...I am surprised no HBCU's beat App. and Montana.

BgJag
February 26th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Well no s***.

When you play a bunch of "classic" games in NFL stadiums and get 40-60k to show up.

any reason why your school can't do the same? It's what the fans/alumni wants to see. $$$$$$

AlphaSigMD
February 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I have a feeling that stonybrook and Ark. PineBluff Stadiums are roughly the size of my living room...

They are both well down the list and both have 200%+ capacity...

813Jag
February 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Well no s***.

You do realize that Jackson State plays no games in NFL stadiums and Southern doesn't get credit for playing three games with over 30k attendance (Mississippi Valley, Grambling, and FAMU). Think before you type although that is hard to do at times.

813Jag
February 26th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I was about to say...I am surprised no HBCU's beat App. and Montana.
Jackson State should be in the mix next year since they play Southern at home. Should be at least 50K there.

BDKJMU
February 26th, 2008, 01:30 PM
UMass could pull a UConn if they could get a guaranteed invite to the BE.

You never know what will happen after the BE split in 2010.

With all due respect to UMass, they don't have the level of fan support to pull a UConn.

bluehenbillk
February 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM
With all due respect to UMass, they don't have the level of fan support to pull a UConn.

Don't know about that, I'm positive UMass draws more now than when UConn played in the Yankee Conference.

andy7171
February 26th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Oh God here comes the largest state school flagship arguement!

elcid96
February 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I had no idea the Citadel was the 3rd best in the SOCON. Our fans are nuts. So many years of losing seasons and still in the top 15. Imagine if we won. LOL.

89Hen
February 26th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Jackson State should be in the mix next year since they play Southern at home. Should be at least 50K there.
It is interesting the wide spread some of the SWAC's get. JSU had over 32k for the Alcorn game and 5k for the TxSo game. I think this is where a lot of the non-SWAC fans have trouble seeing the averages and high numbers as being really "football" related if that makes sense. UD's high for the year was 22,495 and the low was 21,187. People come to see the Hens... not who the Hens are playing. xpeacex

813Jag
February 26th, 2008, 01:51 PM
It is interesting the wide spread some of the SWAC's get. JSU had over 32k for the Alcorn game and 5k for the TxSo game. I think this is where a lot of the non-SWAC fans have trouble seeing the averages and high numbers as being really "football" related if that makes sense. UD's high for the year was 22,495 and the low was 21,187. People come to see the Hens... not who the Hens are playing. xpeacex
I'm gonna kind of defend JSU on the Texas Southern game, that was a Thursday night game with horrible weather. I know some people think that all we play is classics. Well this season Southern played three games at neutral sites that we don't get credit for. Our lowest attended home game was 13,623. We're in the same boat our fans come out no matter who's on the schedule.

BDKJMU
February 26th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Here's the IAA document:

This is sorted by accumulative attendance, so Delaware actually ended up being 3rd.

Damn, in a 14,513 stadium
http://www.jmusports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&KEY=&SPID=8113&SPSID=71224

JMU went down from 15,133/104% in 06' (11th) to 14,512/99.99999%xsmiley_wix (12th) in 07'
http://www.ncaa.org/stats/football/attendance/2006/2006_football_attendance.pdf

But according to this article, JMU's capacity is 15,778:
"After packing Bridgeforth Stadium's 15,778 seats for most of the past three seasons, James Madison is confident it can draw more to fill a bigger football facility......."
http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=14368&CHID=1&key=JMU%20football&title=&author=&channelid=

89Hen
February 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM
We're in the same boat our fans come out no matter who's on the schedule.
xnodx

I'd have to bet that nobody had as much of a delta in two I-AA games as AAMU did this year... vs APB 2,909 followed by Alabama State in Birmingham 68,593 xeekx

BDKJMU
February 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I see a few former I-AA schools in that group. Five MAC schools, right?

It'd be interesting to know how much money they're losing compared to when they were in Our Subdivision. I wonder if any of them are having second thoughts.

Some of those schools could get booted from IA:

"Football Attendance Requirements: 15,000 average actual or paid attendance for all home football games. Institution must perform annual
certified audit."

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/DI_Membership_Info/Information/chart_memreq.pdf

TheBisonator
February 26th, 2008, 02:30 PM
NDSU averaged 18,141 last year. In FBS terms, that puts us right in between Middle Tennessee State and Northern Illinois on the list.

BDKJMU
February 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM

"Football Attendance Requirements: 15,000 average actual or paid attendance for all home football games. Institution must perform annual
certified audit."

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/DI_Membership_Info/Information/chart_memreq.pdf

Here's more:

"3. Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.3]"

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/DI_Membership_Info/Information/Footballqa.pdf

BDKJMU
February 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Damn, in a 14,513 stadium
http://www.jmusports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&KEY=&SPID=8113&SPSID=71224

JMU went down from 15,133/104% in 06' (11th) to 14,512/99.99999%xsmiley_wix (12th) in 07'
http://www.ncaa.org/stats/football/attendance/2006/2006_football_attendance.pdf

But according to this article, JMU's capacity is 15,778:
"After packing Bridgeforth Stadium's 15,778 seats for most of the past three seasons, James Madison is confident it can draw more to fill a bigger football facility......."
http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=14368&CHID=1&key=JMU%20football&title=&author=&channelid=

Now which is it for next season, 14,513 that its been for the last # of years, or 15,778 (are they going to cram in addition to what they already have been using an additional 1200+ temp bleachers into the north endzone?)

813Jag
February 26th, 2008, 02:52 PM
xnodx

I'd have to bet that nobody had as much of a delta in two I-AA games as AAMU did this year... vs APB 2,909 followed by Alabama State in Birmingham 68,593 xeekx
I would agree with that.

Ivytalk
February 26th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Harvard was second to Yale in the Ivies in total attendance and average per game (12,405). The Crimson actually topped the league in percentage of seats filled: 40%, not great but no mean feat these days. Over half of Yale's total attendance was for the Harvard game (57K), and that amount could have been higher had several thousand disgruntled Eli fans not headed back to the tailgate area after Harvard jumped out to a quick lead.;)

UAalum72
February 26th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I have a feeling that stonybrook and Ark. PineBluff Stadiums are roughly the size of my living room...

They are both well down the list and both have 200%+ capacity...
The Stony Brook (two words, both capitalized, until you learn that you deserve to be called Appy) percent is wrong - from the 'Sum Stadium capacity' they're still counting it from SBU's old 2,000-seat field. Stony Brook's 5-year-old stadium has a capacity of 8,136 so their true draw is about 56%.

Albany's field has a nominal capacity of 10,000, but really there's really only bleachers for about 3,800, the rest is grass hillside.

MplsBison
February 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM

certified audit."

I believe these documents are actual attendance whereas the rule allows tickets sold to count.

Peems
February 26th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Harvard was second to Yale in the Ivies in total attendance and average per game (12,405). The Crimson actually topped the league in percentage of seats filled: 40%, not great but no mean feat these days. Over half of Yale's total attendance was for the Harvard game (57K), and that amount could have been higher had several thousand disgruntled Eli fans not headed back to the tailgate area after Harvard jumped out to a quick lead.;)

It's always funny to see Harvard and Yale flip flop like that all due to "the game." Whichever one is the host ends up being right up near the top in attendance

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 26th, 2008, 04:42 PM
The Stony Brook (two words, both capitalized, until you learn that you deserve to be called Appy) percent is wrong - from the 'Sum Stadium capacity' they're still counting it from SBU's old 2,000-seat field. Stony Brook's 5-year-old stadium has a capacity of 8,136 so their true draw is about 56%.

Albany's field has a nominal capacity of 10,000, but really there's really only bleachers for about 3,800, the rest is grass hillside.

FWIW, the total possible attendance for UNH is incorrect as well. Not sure how they came up with a capacity of 9,571 for Cowell? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx AFAIK, even with the bleachers added to the end zone, the capacity based on the number of seats is not greater than 7,500. The 9,571 doesn't reflect the largest SRO crowd of the year either. That is why I'm confused about where they got the number.

With two heavy rain games, we're actually just a little shy of 100% capacity. And like Towson, UNH (#45 in FCS) is in between those bottom two FBS schools.

Appinator
February 26th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Any history of a team being put on probation or close to being re-designated to FCS? I know no one has ever gone back to FCS from FBS level of play, but I wonder if anyone has ever been told "shape up or ship out".

MplsBison
February 26th, 2008, 05:03 PM
No because they always average 15k tickets sold over the rolling 2 year period, which is what the rule allows.

bench
February 26th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Southeastern attendance figures were probably helped at least a little by the drought. App didn't have a single drop of rain fall on them at home all season, and I think it was the same on the road as well. A lot of people hate wearing wet underwear more than they like watching football, and, uh, I'm one of them.

BDKJMU
February 26th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Here's the IAA document:

I just noticed these figures are wrong for JMU. Avg attendance of 14512 in 14513 staduim (from JMU website)= 100% (or 99.99999). But the stats say crowd was 116% avg of capacity. Others have also pointed out errors also. So I would take these avg capacity #s with a total grain of salt. A lot of them are probably wrong.

813Jag
February 26th, 2008, 06:20 PM
It's always funny to see Harvard and Yale flip flop like that all due to "the game." Whichever one is the host ends up being right up near the top in attendance
The same thing can be said about Southern/Jackson State. Although they get a huge spike playing in a 60,000 seat stadium.

bulldog10jw
February 26th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Except for 2006 when Yale had 43k for the Princeton game. No flip-flop that year.

Ivytalk
February 26th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Except for 2006 when Yale had 43k for the Princeton game. No flip-flop that year.

I was wondering when you'd show up!:D

bulldog10jw
February 26th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I was wondering when you'd show up!:D

Considering that Yale keeps LOSING all these final home games, I keep trying to forget. :o

Ivytalk
February 26th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Considering that Yale keeps LOSING all these final home games, I keep trying to forget. :o

Well, we never came near a sellout for those Princeton Tiggers. When you're #3, as P'ton is, you have to try harder!:D 43K is impressive!xnodx

YaleFootballFan
February 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Don't know about that, I'm positive UMass draws more now than when UConn played in the Yankee Conference.

UMass averaged 11,710 in '07. I don't recall too many seasons when UConn drew crowds like that during their I-AA days, even when they were winning.

It's only since they've elevated their program to the FBS that UConn has been drawing big crowds. Sparse crowds were the norm for their I-AA games at old Memorial Stadium.

YaleFootballFan
February 26th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Well, we never came near a sellout for those Princeton Tiggers. When you're #3, as P'ton is, you have to try harder!:D 43K is impressive!xnodx

If that '06 Princeton game wasn't for the Ivy title, it would've drawn its usual 15,000 at the Bowl. Princeton just doesn't have the draw that Harvard has. Harvard and Yale could be both 0-9 and The Game would still outdraw a Yale/Princeton game with the title on the line.

MplsBison
February 27th, 2008, 08:10 AM
UMass averaged 11,710 in '07. I don't recall too many seasons when UConn drew crowds like that during their I-AA days, even when they were winning.

It's only since they've elevated their program to the FBS that UConn has been drawing big crowds. Sparse crowds were the norm for their I-AA games at old Memorial Stadium.

It probably also helps that their new stadium is in the Hartford area.

89Hen
February 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM

FWIW, they kind of traded places at the end. UMass had a lot more fans when they were good in 1998 and 99, but then UConn overtook them when they were a playoff team. Prior to that, it looks like they were pretty even.

UConn - 14,536
UMass - 7,804

UConn - 14,166
UMass - 10,001

UMass - 14,684
UConn - 9,628

UMass - 12,951
UConn - 9,293

UConn - 8,320
UMass - 7,918

SU Jag
February 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Miles and Tuskegee of the SIAC both average over 13,000+ in D-2xeekx Imagine how high it would be if they had larger stadiums!

AppStateold299
February 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. These individuals tend to abuse their power whenever the opportunity arises. They are ego maniacs that need to be put in their place. They arrest people for no reason and laugh about it.

Grizo406
February 27th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Nice job, ASU!!!xbowx xbowx xthumbsupx

appstate38
February 27th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Nice job, ASU!!!xbowx xbowx xthumbsupx

It is good company to be in.... Maybe we can get together on the field this year. Say sometime in November or perhaps December, right before Christmas.

uofmman1122
February 28th, 2008, 01:12 PM
It is good company to be in.... Maybe we can get together on the field this year. Say sometime in November or perhaps December, right before Christmas.I want to see that, but I want to see it in person, which I wouldn't be able to do next year. xbawlingx